• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about getting three different starters?

The reason Kanto and Hoenn starers are in HGSS (I believe) is because technically they are unavailable in generation IV, without the use of pal park. (Which again is unavailable on the DSi)
This way they're making sure that you CAN in fact get all Pokèmon with a DS, without having to trade with the old GBA-games.

I liked how you got a Kanto starter, because no other character in another game has ever gotten 16 badges, so Gold/Kotone deserves it. =P
But I agree the Hoenn ones do feel very cheap.

I liked how you got a Kanto starter, because no other character in another game has ever gotten 16 badges, so Gold/Kotone deserves it. =P
But I agree the Hoenn ones do feel very cheap.

look at it like this. Recent games award you a starter at the beginning, and then another one at the end. Since this game has two ends, it makes sense to have another starter.

look at it like this. Recent games award you a starter at the beginning, and then another one at the end. Since this game has two ends, it makes sense to have another starter.

Yea, but three? Two would feel alright, but it makes no sense to just add Hoenn starters to the mix. It just feels so awkward.

I think it's a good idea because it enables you to complete the PokéDex without having to use Gen III.

^This.

Again, Nintendo is trying to faze out the use of the GBA games in order to market the DSi.

I think it's a great opportunity. It's nice to be able to get them all right there...I remember being frustrated trying to get a Johto starter for diamond/pearl. x_x

i think it was unnecessary. i mean we can already migrate, so i don't see the point. just lazy fans who don't feel like migrating. the kanto starters are available in fire red and leaf green, while the howen starters are in ruby, sapphire, and emerald. johto starters are received in pokemon colosseum, pokemon xd (with them knowing frenzy plant, blast burn, and hydro cannon respectively), and at the end of pokemon emerald (for some reason). i still think the way they are received in emerald is a pointless last minute thing. my point is, we can already get them all, so the johto starters should be the only ones. kanto "kind of" makes sense, but the whole steven thing is just obviously last minute. "hmm, how can we give let players get the howen starters, hmm, maybe we can write down names of all the npcs from howen on a piece of paper, and put them in a hat, and the first one we draw is the one who gives it away"

i think it was unnecessary. i mean we can already migrate, so i don't see the point. just lazy fans who don't feel like migrating.

Well obviously Nintedo would cater to the needs of the fans who bought the latest console - "Oh, yeah thanks for spending loads of moner on this thing, but because you did you're not gonna be able to complete your game. Sorry thats just how it is"

Good

Migrate? Yeah, catching shows are so much fun, especially when you don't have a same-language GBA game to transfer from. So is trading EVERYTHING in from DPPt.

I like that you can get them all... I just wish they'd finally let something besides the Johto starters be catchable in something BESIDES a Poké Ball.

i think it was unnecessary. i mean we can already migrate, so i don't see the point. just lazy fans who don't feel like migrating. the kanto starters are available in fire red and leaf green, while the howen starters are in ruby, sapphire, and emerald. johto starters are received in pokemon colosseum, pokemon xd (with them knowing frenzy plant, blast burn, and hydro cannon respectively), and at the end of pokemon emerald (for some reason). i still think the way they are received in emerald is a pointless last minute thing. my point is, we can already get them all, so the johto starters should be the only ones. kanto "kind of" makes sense, but the whole steven thing is just obviously last minute. "hmm, how can we give let players get the howen starters, hmm, maybe we can write down names of all the npcs from howen on a piece of paper, and put them in a hat, and the first one we draw is the one who gives it away"

The reason they are in because the third generation games are dead. Many people don't have access to the games anymore, and it would make sense that all 493 Pokemon are available now in the fourth generation. Steven was chosen because he is one of the most important characters from HOENN (not Howen), and they're obviously hinting to a RS remake next generation.

What's not to like about this?

I don't like the idea because people like me worked hard to keep restarting their games to get every starter from every region. I used to trade starters for legendary's but now I don't think that'll be happening anymore.

Eh...I kind of dislike the idea. I mean, it was fine getting a Johto starter in Emerald version, because there really wasn't any other way to get one in Generation Three, since there was no backwards compatibility between GenII and III. But with GenIV, there is backwards compatibility, so there's really no reason for it.

it'll make the game alot easier on training... but when u need to replace one of them XD

(Mudkip/Charmander/.....damnit XD)

Eh...I kind of dislike the idea. I mean, it was fine getting a Johto starter in Emerald version, because there really wasn't any other way to get one in Generation Three, since there was no backwards compatibility between GenII and III. But with GenIV, there is backwards compatibility, so there's really no reason for it.

Not if you have a DSi, there's not.

Although they could have given out the hoenn one in DPP so its more spead out with just 2 in each game.

People with the DSi could simply have aquired them via online training, the same as people who have normal DS or DSLites, but no GenIII games.

Yes but GF and Nintendo won't want to 'punish' players who have payed up and bought all the games and the new console. obviously they don't want to create an incentive for not buying the new console

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom