• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about getting three different starters?

Yes but GF and Nintendo won't want to 'punish' players who have payed up and bought all the games and the new console. obviously they don't want to create an incentive for not buying the new console

How would making DSi HG/SS players use online trading to get starters from past generations be a form of punishment, when they still need online trading to obtain every other Pokemon that isn't available in HG/SS anyways?

Last edited:
I think it's pretty cool, however a little unneeded.

I like that you can get them all...
Do you really get all of them? I thought you only get one from Hoenn and one from Kanto.

The less trading the better, Rellik. That simple.
At most, you'll only be saved from needing to trade four or six Pokemon. You're still gonna need to do a butt-load of trading to complete your Dex, which will include getting the other two Johto starters, aswell as the three Sinnoh starters. Trading is and always will be an integral part of the main series games. If anything, having easy access to all the starter Pokemon will just make it much more difficult to obtain new Pokemon via trading, since you won't be able to use newly-bred Starters as trade fodder anymore.

I got a good idea on this, I'm going to get....
Totodile;Charmander and Treecko * One grass one water and the last fire *

what level would the extra starters be at

and i would choose Totodile, Charmander, Treeck= deathly awesome team

what level would the extra starters be at

and i would choose Totodile, Charmander, Treeck= deathly awesome team

The Kanto and Hoenn starters are at level 5 when you recieve them (after the post-game. No one said raising them would be easy)

The Kanto and Hoenn starters are at level 5 when you recieve them (after the post-game. No one said raising them would be easy)
well thats ok i guess, it will be nice raising another starter :mail:

To me they're not giving you three "starters", they're giving you one starter and two Pokémon that were starters in past generations. Just how I feel about it.

I don't care too much, mostly because to this day I only consider Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle to be the true, absolute "starters". Chikorita, Cyndiquil, and Totodile are good for getting you started in Johto, and then I don't care what's what in Hoenn or Sinnoh. After however many years it's been, it's only now that I think I'm slowly beginning to warm up to Ruby/Sapphire.

But I guess ideally, I'd only have the starters of a particular game available in their own game. This is in conflict with Nintendo's DSi/GBA-compatability-busting ideas of course.

Now that I think about it, Nintendo never seemed to follow through hard with any of the GBA-connectivity traits shared by the DS and GCN. It's a shame, it was one of their few features I liked. And in terms of connectivity-friendliness there hasn't been a Stadium-level console Pokèmon game since, well, the Stadiums.

That's a real shame, Jamesredsilver...not that I can change that opinion. D:

I like the idea of getting new starters, especially Hoenn ones! -looks forward to having a Typhlosion and a Blaziken on the main HG team-

Steven Stone appearing is more important to me than the starter itself, considering I could get it myself. A new starter is not not cool, but Stephen Stone himself is really awesome.

It's an awesome feature to the game, and I love it. The Hoenn inclusion makes sense with Steven and all of that, and I really don't think there's much room to argue that they don't belong in the game. Besides, like it's been said 328793 times, it makes collecting just that much easier. They're still rare.

I'm not sure what I'm going to get! I think Bulbasaur, Cyndaquil, and Mudkip. p: Those are my favorite of the three and all different types, so it works!

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom