• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about how the anime handled Lillie?

yab

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I’m curious how people feel since SM is ending later this year and Lillie will likely be gone next generation. Is anyone disappointed Lillie still only has one Pokémon after 110+ and counting episodes? I thought she was handled ok in the beginning when she was getting over her fear of Pokémon but after the Aether arc I feel like she hasn’t done much besides get a Z crystal.

Anyone feel like she is underused given she’s probably supposed to be the main female lead this saga? She might get more than the other two but compared to past female leads she feels underused.

They handled her well enough in the Aether arc, and even after that and as her own character (not comparing her to her game counterpart), she's an enjoyable character with a likable personality when she does get the spotlight.

She certainly fares better than Lana (character-wise, Lana, while an enjoyable character, has trouble holding her own episodes, most of them are padded with another character), and most definitely better than Mallow (most of her episodes aren't even about her, they're about her family or her Pokemon).

Last edited:
I think that the anime has done at least an okay job with Lillie. She is pretty likable and I like her character development. I liked how she was able to take steps in overcoming her fear during the earlier episodes of SM. I have mixed feelings on how she was handled during the Aether Foundation arc though. On one had, I really liked learning where her fear came from and how she was able to overcome it once she regained her memories. It was definitely her best episode yet and the mystery surrounding just how she developed that fear was interesting.

But on the other hand, I felt like the arc weakened her storyline from the games. Her relationship with Lusamine wasn't nearly as bad as she kept complaining about it. There were times where I actually sided with Lusamine, such as how it was her decision to evolve her Clefairy because that was her Pokemon and not Lillie's. Despite how Lusamine kept being too busy or unaware of Lillie's feelings, it was obvious that she still cared deeply about both of her children. I would have loved to hear video game Lillie say that she hates her mother, but it didn't feel fitting for SM Lillie to do that when their relationship wasn't nearly as complicated.

Plus, I felt like they were just throwing in details about video game Lillie onto SM Lillie without really factoring in the different characterizations between the two versions. Lillie's Z-Powered form was a way to show her new found confidence after spending most of the games being nervous and reserved in the games. It may sound a bit silly, but it was a way for Lillie to forge her own identity instead of being in the clothes her mother forced her to wear. SM Lillie has a Z-Powered form just because. She never had any confidence issues aside from her fear of touching Pokemon and SM Lusamine obviously didn't emotionally abuse her or force her into wearing her regular clothes, so it just comes off as shallow fanservice.

I still wonder just how well received SM Lillie would be if her video game counterpart wasn't so popular. I like SM Lillie and she does have some good character development/focused episodes, but I feel like she is a bit overrated among the SM cast. She hasn't done much beyond getting a Z-Crystal lately, so maybe I'll have a different opinion once the series ends. I think that they do a better job with going with their own storyline for Lillie instead of trying to adapt her storyline from the video games.

From the beginning of the series to the finale of the Nebby Arc she had a very engaging story, as she started as a relatable girl with an irrational fear who eventually got her own Pokemon, learned to touch other Pokemon and faced her own mommy issues. Her episodes afterwards are good, but she is lacking some kind of occupation or goal that separates her from the others: Lana has the bubbles, Mallow has cooking, Sophocles has his tech and Kiawe has the farm and his battle strength. She got something with the Mohn reference, so that could be the chance to redeem her.

She is likeable, but her lack of focus at different times during the series makes it harder to see her development.

I think she was handled well.

The first season gave some backstory in regards to her pokephobia and hinting that more was going on as the season progressed.

Her biggest highlight was the Aether Arc, how the anime handled the family drama compared to the games. (I personally like it better in the anime compared to vanilla SM.) How she had a lot of nerve to use a pacifist method of taking care of Clefable and even talking Mother Beast Lusamine to sense. (Before Nihilego took over and proving THAT was a bad idea!)

Even after that big growth was done, they subtly give her more growth to where she is more brave compared to the start of the series and hints they are doing something with her later on.

My only gripe is after the Aether Arc, focus on her slowed down and while I don't mind the other class mates getting some focus, the Icium Z and the Ice stone still need to be resolved and soon. She is my third favorite poke girl in the anime for a reason. (May and Dawn beating her!)

I would say Lillie has had the best arc and development of of the main characters

Well of course Lillie has had the most deveolpment out of the Alola characters: she's had no real competition in terms of screen-time. Kiawe comes the closest, but even he suffers from Clemont syndrome half the time and he's used for gags more than genuine plot progression. Lillie was robbed regarding the Nebby arc, though. She deserved to bond with it more than Ash did.

It handled her fine. Given that the SM anime is drastically different from the games, I really didn't care that Lillie's story and personality weren't exactly the same. To be honest, I can't decide whether I prefer Lillie in the games or anime - I love her so much in both, and I'm going to be really sad to see her go.

For a person who had only seen the first 20 episodes and scattered episodes from then, I honestly massively preferred the game version better than the anime version. I believe too much focus was placed onto her compared to the other characters, and while that's great, it impedes the development of other characters. Furthermore, I feel like the show's writers "treat" her better than everyone else, maybe even Ash, since she gets a lot of showtime and, as said before, she's the most developed out of all the characters.

Then again, all of this is based off of a fraction of all the SM episodes, so I really have nothing to say.

The recent ep aired was another Lillie focused ep, I like her backstory but I feel they could have done more with her otherwise. It seems most Lillie eps now are about her father and Gladion, her Z-move likely won't even work till the end of the saga.

I think the anime handled Lillie's character decently. It would be great if they stick with her 2nd design to show her adventurous and battle-ready persona since she got a Z-crystal and Z-ring. Anime gave her an episode where she got an Ice-Stone to use obviously for her Alolan Vulpix in the future. They even gave her Magearna and upcoming arc to finding her father which I'm looking forward beside the Pokemon League.

I think Lillie's is the one character I have no complaints about. Her having only one Pokemon is acceptable to me simply because in the games she really isn't a trainer. The games really don't hint as to why she is skiddish about Pokemon in general, so the anime I think did a great job giving her some backstory. I'm even okay with the anime attempting to reunite with Mohn, it'll be nice to know that he isn't going to spend eternity at the PokePelago watching the million Ultra Beasts I'm forced to capture hunt for minerals.

I think Lana and Mallow have had fair development as well, except my complaint is the fact they are main companions. I would have preferred they actually be trial captains as they are in the games. I would have liked to just see Ash, Lillie, and maybe 1 or 2 of the other current companions as Ash's "travel companions" or close classmates.

If anything it's the opposite for me, if Lillie was a recurring character like she was in the games, she'd probably have a far stronger character arc than making her a main character, and rushing through her game plot in an underwhelming fashion, then being forced to sideline her for a year till they came up with this Mohn storyline and the Z-move.

I think Lana and Mallow have had fair development as well, except my complaint is the fact they are main companions. I would have preferred they actually be trial captains as they are in the games. I would have liked to just see Ash, Lillie, and maybe 1 or 2 of the other current companions as Ash's "travel companions" or close classmates.
This is something I can't really agree with. Trial captains in the games are borderline irrelevant, they are the equivalent to the guy that sits outside of the gyms and tells you what type is effective against the gym and maybe throw a word of encouragement here and there. Giving that role to the Island Kings/queens is far more reasonable as it allows to have some build up to the grand trials as well.

This is something I can't really agree with. Trial captains in the games are borderline irrelevant, they are the equivalent to the guy that sits outside of the gyms and tells you what type is effective against the gym and maybe throw a word of encouragement here and there. Giving that role to the Island Kings/queens is far more reasonable as it allows to have some build up to the grand trials as well.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I am entitled to mine. My preference remains the fact I would have preferred Lana, Mallow, Sophocles, and Kiawe have remained side characters and not part of an overloaded main cast.

They really did force the cute factor with her. Like not just dialing it up to ten but dialing it up to fifty. If Lillie had been done more like the game I think I'd have been fine with her. Still think Ash and Lillie travelling Alola and having the others like the Kalos trio in XY would have been a much better way to do things.

After the AF arc she was there and thats it. She has nothing going for her to make her stand out from anyone else to the point I find her the most boring pokegirl.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom