• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about kids growing up with the current series?

If you people talking about the Kids who hang around me then I say that they lose interest in Pokemon.
They seem more interested in ''Inazuma Eleven'' and ''Beyblade'' !!!

Well tbh Inazuma Eleven is better XD. But yeah Kids today do get better writing eps then we did 90s group. DP was much better written then OS by far. However OS had better fillers.
While BW has both Bad writing, Pathetic humor & boring filler.
No wonder that Kids love Inazuma Eleven over Best Wish.
There was a guy in Youtube who said Inazuma Eleven is better then Pokemon because-
-No progression
-Ash is stupid.
So Writer needed to move Ash forward but instate they decide to go for a ''New Beginning''
Anyway ,
If Writer think that Their rebooting would help younger audience then it failed in our country.
After all , We have a lot of kids hanging around us.

I never have had a problem with 4Kids, they did a great job of injecting humour into the show and the va's were great. I don't like PokemonUSA at all, they try to twist the dialogue into being cooler and more relatable to todays generation, and to me, that puts me off the show. I no longer watch the dubs anymore.

In terms of the storylines and characters, I can imagine kids warming to Pokemon just as much as I did back in the day. BW has captured the essence of the Kanto trio pretty well, actually. I think DP would have been maybe more exciting for kids but have had less of an impression, it lacked that magic that kids derive nostalgia from.

Just my opinions :p

I began watching during the AG series and to this day it's still my favorite region and generation of Pokemon. I went back and watched the OS after that as well, but it's just something about the generation you grew up with that makes you drawn towards them. No matter what though, a Pokemon fan is a Pokemon fan no matter when they started watching. One of the things I really hate is when old fans gang up on or belittle younger fans for liking Unova or Sinnoh over the older generations. They can't helped it if they were not alive when Kanto and Johto were taking place, yet people act like it's a crime to like a different generation than you do.

Hmm, I don't really know anyone in real life who still watches the anime, so I can't make an accurate assessment. But I hope some of the kids who watch the current anime do some research on past episodes; it would be sad if they didn't know about May and Max or about some of the previous story arcs.

I think the problem is now that there's 750+ episodes, so unless you're a *really* hardcore fan of the anime, I doubt any little kids are going to make an effort to see every episode.

Back when the show started the show had about 150-200 episodes at most, and it wasn't that difficult to see everything. Now that the anime has 5 generations and 750+ episodes, it's obviously much more difficult.

Although at the same time, it doesn't *really* matter. The anime resets itself enough that you don't really have to go back and see everything, only if you want to get to know some past characters or rivals, etc.

I don't care if kids start out with Best Wishes or with how Sinnoh was, but some like it so I won't complain. I never liked Kanto over any other series, so it really doesn't bother me.

I personally don't mind what season somebody started. I myself am a 12 year old kid, and i started watching in Hoenn, but it doesn't matter how old somebody is. I haven't watched a lot of the first generation episodes, yet i can recognize Gary and the ever awesome Charizard. Even if i couldn't, that wouldn't make me any less of a fan than the adults who are still loyal to the show. :)

My little bro only knows about Misty and Brock because he grew up on my old VHS tapes.

Oh, I'm completely fine with it, as long as kids are still watching. It kind of sucks that they won't get to know the old characters, but most kids will stop watching at some point and the ones who don't will probably look it up when they're older.

I don't actually know kids who watch Pokémon, though. In my country it's currently airing at a sucky timeslot and they don't really advertise it, so it's mostly the older fans who watch the show or buy the games. Now that is sad, kids who don't know Pokémon exists. It's not that they have to like it, but many would if they knew it was there.

Oh, I'm completely fine with it, as long as kids are still watching. It kind of sucks that they won't get to know the old characters, but most kids will stop watching at some point and the ones who don't will probably look it up when they're older.

I don't actually know kids who watch Pokémon, though. In my country it's currently airing at a sucky timeslot and they don't really advertise it, so it's mostly the older fans who watch the show or buy the games. Now that is sad, kids who don't know Pokémon exists. It's not that they have to like it, but many would if they knew it was there.

I'd love to know the ratio of older people/kids. I feel as if the older people may be higher tbh

I'd love to know the ratio of older people/kids. I feel as if the older people may be higher tbh
In the US and Japan, probably not. In my country it might be. Nintendo apparently doesn't want to invest much on advertisements in Latin America because of the whole piracy thing, so Pokémon's not really popular anymore. You don't see Pokémon toys at stores, but they're easy to find in the US and everywhere in Japan, where you can even get Pokémon candy at convenience stores XD Where I live, you might be able to find toys in large cities, but most of what's sold are games, and like I said it's usually by the older fans.

I think the problem is now that there's 750+ episodes, so unless you're a *really* hardcore fan of the anime, I doubt any little kids are going to make an effort to see every episode.
The main issue there I think might just have been the availability of old episodes on DVD. Here in Australia, we've had huge box sets covering the first few seasons, but I understand that sort of thing isn't common everywhere. While DVD's of episodes in original broadcast order (as opposed to themed compilations of episodes) have become more common worldwide in recent generations, finding the older stuff I'd expect would actually be fairly difficult.

In the US and Japan, probably not. In my country it might be. Nintendo apparently doesn't want to invest much on advertisements in Latin America because of the whole piracy thing, so Pokémon's not really popular anymore. You don't see Pokémon toys at stores, but they're easy to find in the US and everywhere in Japan, where you can even get Pokémon candy at convenience stores XD Where I live, you might be able to find toys in large cities, but most of what's sold are games, and like I said it's usually by the older fans.

I'd be surprised if that was true throughout all of Latin America. It was fairly easy to find Pokémon merchandise when I was in Costa Rica, and there were more than enough store displays, etc. Often, the product they'd have would be out of date, as much as a generation behind, but they still had plenty of it.

The main issue there I think might just have been the availability of old episodes on DVD. Here in Australia, we've had huge box sets covering the first few seasons, but I understand that sort of thing isn't common everywhere. While DVD's of episodes in original broadcast order (as opposed to themed compilations of episodes) have become more common worldwide in recent generations, finding the older stuff I'd expect would actually be fairly difficult.

I'd be surprised if that was true throughout all of Latin America. It was fairly easy to find Pokémon merchandise when I was in Costa Rica, and there were more than enough store displays, etc. Often, the product they'd have would be out of date, as much as a generation behind, but they still had plenty of it.
No, I don't think it's in all of Latin America, I suspect it's fine in Argentina and other countries. It's true in Mexico, though. Or at least in parts of it. I've only ever been in my hometown and a couple other cities, but all I've ever seen in the last few years have been cards and videogames. I remember about 4 years ago it was still relatively easy to find Pokémon stuff. Now I'm getting increasingly more frustrated at the difficulty of finding Pokémon stuff.

I feel sad, because they didn't get to experience "Poké-mania", from the beginning, like I have. But, telling stories is just as good, I suppose.

Well nowadays there is actually legal streaming of episodes online too. I know Pokemon.com officially streams episodes from each saga, although they take them down after a while and replace them with different episodes.

Another problem is, for the most part, characters from one saga tend not to be relevant in the next. Brock is the only main character who stayed for an unusually long amount of time, every other one of Ash's friends left as their respective series concluded. Its gotten to the point where you don't even have to know who the older characters are to watch Pokemon anymore. It's hard to believe that characters like May and Max, who were once considered, "new characters" are now over a decade old themselves. How old does that make you feel?

Well nowadays there is actually legal streaming of episodes online too. I know Pokemon.com officially streams episodes from each saga, although they take them down after a while and replace them with different episodes.

I think that they update their list of episodes for different sagas every week since it would be kind of expensive to constantly stream hundreds of episodes.

The Fighting Misty said:
Another problem is, for the most part, characters from one saga tend not to be relevant in the next. Brock is the only main character who stayed for an unusually long amount of time, every other one of Ash's friends left as their respective series concluded. Its gotten to the point where you don't even have to know who the older characters are to watch Pokemon anymore. It's hard to believe that characters like May and Max, who were once considered, "new characters" are now over a decade old themselves. How old does that make you feel?

Considering how long Pokemon has been going on, it's really not surprising that kids don't have to know about the older characters in order to watch the more recent series. I think that would be a good aspect for a long-running series to have since if kids had to be more familiar with the older characters and sagas, then it would be more difficult for a new audience to jump into the anime. If it was more of a challenge for kids to jump into the new series, then I don't think that the anime would be as successful as it is now. As for May and Max being a decade old themselves, that doesn't really make me feel old per say. It does make me feel kind of weird, but I don't know if it's the same as feeling old. It just feels strange to think of how I was watching AG for most of my high school years, how that feels like ages ago, which then makes me feel weird, and then I just move onto something else since it's not something that I particularly dwell on for a long period of time.

Which still brings up question. If writers aim is to make easier for new generations to tune with show by making revamps at start of every new generation, than why they return at times older characters new generations might not be familiar with?

Going by logic how today generations don't watch older sagas we can say how most kids had no idea who Gary, Jessibelle or Jasmine was. If some of them didn't watched any of DP series they probably didn't knew who Dawn was either when making appearance(same applies to previous generations in Hoenn and Sinnoh when Misty or May came back). But writers still brought them not viewing lack of knowledge as some issue if they find their return could be beneficial for anime again. Same applies to Giovanni revival in BW, as well flashbacks and references to past we get from time to time(especially in DP with whole Pikachu evolution crisis).

So even though format of series is adjusted to new generations, anime is still treated to smaller extent as entity with kids which didn't watched previous sagas and not gaining full picture of it, more likely than not ending confused when things from past sagas pop up.
This only loses on its quality imo having anime filled with fragments of continuity lacking solid storyline bringing disorder, makes inclusion of past characters and impact they left pointless in first place if we wont see them ever again and loses reputation in eyes of those which are better informed about its history.

So i don't agree with their decision of keeping references to past to minimum and erasing existence of past traveling companions either when they break this approach with certain exceptions anyway, never mind ignoring fact how long running show with strong continuity which keeps previous main characters in some form relevant can be just as successful.
With many other shows which exist for long time not having problems with new kids joining proving that.

Last edited:
They throw in the old characters once in a blue moon as a treat for any past fans but those fans are no longer the focus.

It is really a shame with the Pokemon Anime. We loved it, when we were children and expected as we matured, that the series would mature as well. It is sad that children never come to know the old guys, who were so long part of the show. Thrown away like garbage and only taken out of the can for an short lived cameo. Sad isn't it?
Who of you remembers Akira (A.J.) of the 8th Pokemon Episode? He is one of the one shot characters, who stayed in my mind for more then a decade and has yet to reappear again... Put on a bus, put on a bus... :bawl:

How do I feel? I feel nothing really. I really don't care whether you're in love with this series or any of the older ones. Most of us are adults and have seen the orginal series anyway, sos we really wouldn't understand what it's like to watch BW without watching any of the other series before that that would grab your interest.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom