• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about the new Terastal gimmick?

How do you feel about this gimmick?

• It seems fun!

Votes: 25 31.6%
  • Not a fan

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Unsure so far

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Fancy hats !!!

Votes: 15 19.0%

• Total voters
Honestly I would prefer this over both Z-moves and Dynamax/Gigantamax gimmick. It's basically at STAB boost gimmick, but it comes with a price, let's say you have a dual-type pokemon like charizard for example, charizard's a fire/flying type, if you Terastallizes charizard, it boosts its fire typing, but loses its flying type, it'll be just a pure fire type. It also changes the type of the moves that is not STAB, but it becomes that typing, making it STAB, for example, Garchomp is a dragon/ground type, If I have Iron Head or Iron tail in the move slot, it'll change into a pure steel type, losing it dragon/ground typing.

I don't mind the crystalization body, and the ornanment on the pokemon's head.

This could change the competitive aspect of pokemon with this gimmick. Too bad it's exclusive to paldea region only (not surprise) :(

Other than that, I do like it, I'll definitely try this out when the game comes out.

A few thoughts on pokemon that could massively exploit the new mechanic:
-Just any pokemon with levitate. They become electric type and immediately have no weaknesses. This is the most likely to happen just because there's already been mons with it confirmed.
-Dracovish. 2x water stab with the already op fishous rend would just skyrocket Dracovish's power. I don't have my computer to run calcs but it would definitely be enough to destroy anything that doesn't resist it apart from some very defensive mons.
-Shedinja, Electric type, Air balloon. Need I say more?

-Just any pokemon with levitate. They become electric type and immediately have no weaknesses. This is the most likely to happen just because there's already been mons with it confirmed.
-Dracovish. 2x water stab with the already op fishous rend would just skyrocket Dracovish's power. I don't have my computer to run calcs but it would definitely be enough to destroy anything that doesn't resist it apart from some very defensive mons.
The former is definitely a problem, but the latter two will only be an issue if they're available.

Everyone gonna be running Mold Breaker :wynaut:

Yeah and in Shedinja's case, it won't matter in competitive singles since everything runs Toxic or SR there. I don't think VGC emphasises on passive damage as much so that would definitely pose a problem.
Well, Toxic's distribution was diminished by a ton in Gen 8, so I'm not sure about its reliability as an anti-Air Balloon Electric Shedinja measure. There's also Hail and Sandstorm damage, though, I guess.

As for Dracovish... if that one is indeed available in Gen 9, it's possible that Fishious Rend will be given the Gale Wings treatment and get a massive nerf, but that's a 50/50 shot.

Honestly? Indifferent. I don't like these kind of mechanics, been this way since generation 6. I'm just happy they aren't real form-changers, like Megas or Gigantamax, nor as bursty as those mechanics. Or as silly as Z-moves.

I just realized something. They've used the gem texture once before...

Screenshot_20220804-202635_Chrome.png

I don't know what it means if anything (probably nothing). But maybe Teras have a lot more in common with Megas then Z-moves and Dynamax did.

I don't know what it means if anything (probably nothing). But maybe Teras have a lot more in common with Megas then Z-moves and Dynamax did.
I mean, seeing how some Pokemon can access new types when they Mega Evolve, that would actually not be so Farfetch'd.

In addition to that, I'm pretty sure the symbol that shows up above pokemon that are Terrastillizing is the symbol on it with added spikes.

So thanks to a video by Bird Keeper Toby I just noticed the tiny set of “angry eyes” on every one of the headpieces. Could this be hinting at something “sinister” about the whole thing?

Burst mechanics were fun the first 2 times, but now it's becoming tedious and uninspired and tbh, it's one of the things pushing me away from these games.

I'd rather see new ways to battle like rotation battles.
Imagine 6v6 battles like triple battles, but with a front and back row.

Okay, but picture this: Adaptability Porygon-Z holding a Silk Scarf on top of the boost given to it by a Normal Tera Crystal... the power of its Hyper Beams would be absolutely insane. As in, "could potentially OHKO Max HP, Max Special Defense Blissey" insane.
This but it's gen 1 Hyper Beam.

Last edited:
So thanks to a video by Bird Keeper Toby I just noticed the tiny set of “angry eyes” on every one of the headpieces. Could this be hinting at something “sinister” about the whole thing?
Maybe it's just a parasite that lives in the Tera orb you throw out.

It's possible that it will be the same as the tiny microscopic creatures that cause pokerus and never be explained.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom