• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you feel about the SOS mechanic?

Sort of on topic, sort of not, but has anyone noticed that Cubones call in Kangaskhans in SOS battles? Coincidence, or is there an implication in this?..
Probably nothing. Cubone and Kangaskhan were never related to each other. One is Ground and evolves into Fire/Ghost in Alola or Ground in other regions. The other is normal that can mega evolve.

Probably nothing. Cubone and Kangaskhan were never related to each other. One is Ground and evolves into Fire/Ghost in Alola or Ground in other regions. The other is normal that can mega evolve.

I don't think you understand what I'm referring to. There's a common theory that Cubone's mother was originally a Kangaskhan, and that the baby in Kangaskhan's pouch is the same or similar to what a Cubone would look like without the mother's skull. This of course is no longer the case but it would be an evolutionary branch from way back. I believe there was some sort of code in the Gen 1 games to support this theory as well, but I'd have to look back through some of the popular YouTube theorists and their videos on this topic.

Basically: A long time ago, a Kangaskhan was killed and the baby was abandoned as a result, the baby wore the Kangaskhan skull as protection, or to stay close with the mother, or whatever you want to say to explain that, and Marowak is an evolved form where the skull has essentially melded to the baby's head, and in doing so has also made way for a new evolutionary branch, where all Cubones are born with a skull thanks to Marowak having one basically permanently attached to its head therefore technically making it genetic and part of its body. This hasn't affected Kangaskhan's evolutionary line at all as this was just one incident where a baby decided to wear the mother's skull.

You sure? From what I remember, SOS calls for different Pokemon seem to happen because either they're of the same evo line, or there's a connection. The Carbink/Sableye thing is possibly because of Carbink being made out of gemstones and the Sableye trying to KO it because of that much to my chagrin because my Sableye would never be so cold-blooded. Maybe the Cubone/Kangaskhan thing is because the Kangaskhan's motherly instincts are kicking in, and the Cubone is known for being potrayed as a motherless child?

Slightly annoyed. Got the wild Pokémon's health down to the red, and ready to send an Ultra Ball...

Then comes its partners, delaying the capture. Seriously, why can't I just throw the ball anyway? It's not like there's a trainer stopping me...

It's really annoying when I want to catch a pokemon. Just when I weaked the mon I want to capture, it calls for help, and I have to faint its friend (and losing said mon due to it using Take Down on the next turn). I hate to think what it would be like if I ever have a shiny encounter...

I think it adds a challenging element to battles that would normally feel dull and boring. I actually felt thrilled and stressed with new wild encounters as I never really knew what was going to happen. There were a lot of memorable moments for me because of this mechanic.

On one hand it feels broken AF, on the other hand I am catching Pokemon at around gym 2-3 in terms of the level curve and having to deal with 2-3 levels of minmaxing on my stats with a bunch of leers/sand attacks and hardens being thrown about. Catching metapods can get silly quick, and I love this aspect.

I absolutely hate it in its current form. If it were less overpowered (ie, not taking up the pokemon's turn, not available every single turn, not removing your ability to throw pokeballs at the pokemon that called SOS, etc), then I wouldn't mind it that much. But here, I absolutely HATE it.

Wait so do some of you guys actually not bring a status inflicter when going Pokemon catching?

The problem is that it seems that that doesn't actually work. With status, they still call allies ^^; Though could be that they do it less often. I've heard that only Sleep and Frozen work, but some people reported that even then they still call allies...

The problem is that it seems that that doesn't actually work. With status, they still call allies ^^; Though could be that they do it less often. I've heard that only Sleep and Frozen work, but some people reported that even then they still call allies...

It's true that the Pokemon can still call allies but the chance of that is drastically decreased when that Pokemon receives a status condition, even ones like paralysis. From my personal experience when I've gone on Pokedex-filling catchathons I've never actually had a Pokemon call for an ally after they were paralyzed. It's a different story when I don't bother to use a status condition such as when training on wild Pokemon which attempt to call for help probably every other time. Of course I'm just speaking from personal experience but I feel it's fair to say that with results like these inflicting status conditions could stand to be given more credit than it is being given. Like, I can't just be getting ridiculously lucky with this?

Extremely annoying, especially when you're trying to catch a wild Pokemon. Should have just reserved it for totems only.

I don't mind it, but I wish they would only be able to call 1 SOS. I get that it's the new chaining method, but still, it'd make it easier in longer battles.

Sort of on topic, sort of not, but has anyone noticed that Cubones call in Kangaskhans in SOS battles? Coincidence, or is there an implication in this?..

I don't think it means anything. I mean, one time I was battling a wild Fearow and it called a Goomy, and I don't think there's a connection between these two.

I don't mind it, but I wish they would only be able to call 1 SOS. I get that it's the new chaining method, but still, it'd make it easier in longer battles.
Given the fact that some Pokemon are only obtainable via SOS and RNG, not to mention some items are only available as held wild Pokemon items with low chances of being held (the Razor Claw comes to mind), one SOS would probably not be good for one searching for a specific Pokemon or item. If Pokemon weren't exclusive to SOS and if there were held items obtainable more easily, I'd agree that one SOS is enough.

Given the fact that some Pokemon are only obtainable via SOS and RNG, not to mention some items are only available as held wild Pokemon items with low chances of being held (the Razor Claw comes to mind), one SOS would probably not be good for one searching for a specific Pokemon or item. If Pokemon weren't exclusive to SOS and if there were held items obtainable more easily, I'd agree that one SOS is enough.
True, true, I forgot about that as well. I'd also appreciate it if we didn't have those to begin with though (since finding Pokémon via SOS is a hassle in itself), but can't ask for everything I suppose aha.

I enjoyed SOS battles, although I believe they should allow us to capture Pokémon even if there are others around it. I don't know why it would suddenly become impossible to aim at one, just because there are others standing next to it.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom