• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

how do you go about fighting monsters in games?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
When it comes to games where you beat up monsters, everyone goes about it differently. I myself tend to go the brute force route. When it comes to magic, I mainly use restorative magic. What about you guys?

Both brute force and exploiting their weaknesses. Unless it's Dragon Quest, since I keep forgetting enemies have weaknesses there. I blame poor documentation in-game for that.

I'm for brute force too but I'll try not to fight if I don't have to. As for magic I'm not a nice back-up/healer type... so I'll just tank anyway and die horribly.

I usually go for all-out offense and take a trial and error approach using the simplest strategy first. Like, even if there's an attack that you're really obviously supposed to dodge, I usually let it hit me the first time just kinda to satisfy my curiosity. In games where you fight multiple monsters at once, I usually go for the weaker enemies first, with the logic being that it will make the fight easier faster (depends on the game and how much I know about it of course, but that's generally my starting point). In Pokémon games I pretty much teach my Pokémon damaging moves only, unless it's a high-accuracy sleep move or HM or something lol.

healing magic + magic in general is my preference! I brute force using magic for the most part, and heal myself when needed. playing a healer is always so great since I can heal myself when doing quests/dungeons/etc, which does make things a lot easier sometimes <3

I'm all about brute force. Lol. Like all of those non-offensive (or non-status-inducing) moves that Pokemon can learn are worthless to me. :LOL: I mean, you never need anything more to play through the main games.

Last edited:
Generally brute force with going for an enemy's weakness when it comes to physical attacks. When it comes to magic I mainly use magic that buffs my party's stats, heals, and status inducing/de-buffs an enemy's stat(s); at times I don't bother with offensive magic too much unless it's an element I like, or a character I like.

Of course, if it's a game where you have a party of characters, then yeah, I will use Magic. I go for brute force when playing a game like Legend of Zelda or Kingdom Hearts.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom