• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you guys feel about James' Morpeko?

Rainbow-Rain

LEADER OF THE INTELEON DEFENSE SQUAD
Reaction score
Just curious to know how do people feel about Morpeko.

Personally I can't say that I'm a fan.

I know it's simply meant to be a Gagmon but does anyone find Morpeko to be a bit unlikable?

It just seems like it only exists as a hindrance to TR.
Even after James caught it.

Also I know James bonded with Morpeko but I still question whether or not Morpeko actually cares about James in the slightest. It just feels like a one-sided relationship to me?

I know a lot of people wanted TR to get rid of the Gatcha Machine but I am unsure if Morpeko was the right choice...

Does anyone else feel this way?

How do you guys feel about Morpeko?

Do you think James catching it was good idea? :unsure:

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't like this Morpeko either. In fact, it's probably my least favorite of the Pikachu Clone companions that have appeared in the anime. However, I don't think James catching it was a bad move at all. If anything, I think it should have happened much earlier. This is because I feel like if any TR member can help Morpeko get over its most unlikeable traits, it's James. I don't think they'll disappear completely, though, they'll just become less malicious.

Granted, it's still too early to tell what direction will be taken: pretty much everybody took it for granted that Lucario was gonna be the Infernape/Greninja equivalent of Ash's team and we all saw how that's turned out so far, so for all we know the writers will drop the ball with Morpeko just as hard. Still, though, best to remain open-minded and with cautious optimism.

It's interesting, because not too long ago, we hadn't seen enough of Morpeko, and people were demonizing it, and that annoyed me. Also, Calm Morpeko is rather adorable, and it did seem genuinely happy to be walking along with James in 71, and happy to see the Rockets generally towards the end of the episode. That being said, and this is weird, because I liked seeing how Ash was dealing with Hungry Morpeko...but yeah, the gag is worn out. I do not know why I like the Bewear gag as much as I do, so I don't like being what I feel is unfair here, but there it is. That being said, the gag has been shown to be utilized well at times too, episode 47 generally, the end of episode 71, so I think there are still ways to approach the gag to make it...less toxic. However, I do like (for the Team Rocket fans) that James caught it, as I stated above for 71, that was probably Morpeko's 2nd best moment (episode 47 in general being the best). And I do think fans can turn around on the Pokemon, assuming we see more Calm Morpeko.

I think the hate it gets is overblown. I’m pretty indifferent to it, but I also usually like the dynamic James has with his Pokémon so I’m excited to see how he continues to interact with Morpeko.

Fairly indifferent. I think that its capture episode has so far been its best showing because they gave it positive moments in Full Belly mode to show it's closer to James and the rest of the team, but outside of that they've barely convinced me Morpeko even likes TR because the majority of any meaningful screentime has been in Hangry Mode. It reminds me the most of Mimikyu with how both Pokemon ended up being too centralized around their gags but at least Mimikyu was allowed to have its moments outside of harassing Pikachu and had more depth behind its gag than "hungry and angry just because". It's probably still too early to fully judge where they take this character but I haven't felt this detached to a TRmon since BW.

Last edited:
It has potential but I hope they cut back on the "We're starving" jokes. They are not funny, they are cruel. Save it as kind of karmic punishments for their actions in an episode.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom