• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you handle HMs?

How do you handle HMs?

• HM Slave

Votes: 165 59.8%
  • Spread them out amoung my team.

Votes: 111 40.2%

• Total voters
Re: HM Slaves

I spread them out evenly...always...well sorta...My Tentacruel knows All three water HMs but I don't count Waterfall and Surf..since they're actually ok moves...

I spread them around. I don't like having someone useless for battle on my team. I do have a slave I guess thought for a select few HMs (ones like cut where you don't really use it much), but it's only for one or two HMs. At the end of the game though I go back and delete the HM moves that aren't good and heart scale in moves I want back. Only HMs that are reeeeally worth keeping are Surf and Fly.

I've also been ignoring ones that "help" you through an area (Defog and Flash) recently. In a foggy area I just send up a tank who can take the hits and in a dark cave I'd need a map even if I used flash so it doesn't matter. It's not like it's impossible to see in those areas. Such a waste of a move.

Birabel is my main HM slave.

I have a level 50 fearow with fly, and my starter with surf, just cause it's a decent move.

I always have 2-4 pokemon I use for battling and then 2 HM slaves, but I always teach my water pokes surf though:loopy:

I do my best spreading them around, but it's really hard with ater types since I don't like repeating types within my team. At least a lot of Water HM's are actually useful in battle unlike so many others. D:<

I normally spread them out, but I'm currently using two slaves in SoulSilver. But this is after I've beaten the game. During the story I try to spread moves out. Not all HMs are bad moves though. Waterfall is my go-to physical Water move, while Surf is the special. I love Fly, its one of my favorite moves so I try to have it on all of my teams. My level 87 Scizor knows Rock Smash still and uses it to perfection. Technician+Fist Plate. Other than those though, the HMs suck. Flash is the most usable HM left. So spreading out the HMs on my team is kinda mean. I now have all 8 between Tropius and Kabutops as my slaves.

I usually try and spread them out between my team but during my re-run through Diamond I got a HM slave.

I spread them out best I can. D8 Especially in Platinum, where everyone had at least ONE HM move. At least until I reach the resort island.

Goukazaru: Rock Climb
Charap: Fly, Defog
Gastrodon: Surf, Waterfall
Gen: Strength, Rock Smash
Motor: he can't learn HMs, can he?
Mamoru: Cut

It was pretty awesome, to not have to run to the PC every time I needed to get to a new place.

Rock smash and Cut are only used a couple of times so i give them to some random Psyduck or Buneary that I'll never use afterwards

I use a slave for the weaker ones, like Cut, but I spread out the powerful ones as evenly as I can.

Before G4, I spread them out. Now I use HM slaves for most HMs, while Surf and Fly (and sometimes Waterfall) are in the main team.

Furret is a personal favorite.

I have to spread them out. If I have one HM-slave Pokemon, it opens up a weak spot. Every one of my team has to be reliable for battles.

I have a couple different HM slaves that have different HMs so that I can pick the one with the moves I'll need depending on where I'm going. It was annoying not having all six of my main team with me in some parts of the game, but it wasn't too bad because it wasn't for extended periods of time. But I do always teach my water-type surf and my flying-type fly.

this thread inspired me to breed 2 new HM slaves for my platinum game...

shiny adamant (+Atk/-SpA) charizard
252Atk / 252Spe / 4tbc
fly / cut / rock smash / defog

shiny quiet (+SpA/-Spe) swampert
252Atk / 252SpA / 4tbc
surf / rock climb / waterfall / strength

grinding up to level 36 then i'll clear the random EV's & EV train them - nearly there!

this thread inspired me to breed 2 new HM slaves for my platinum game...

shiny adamant (+Atk/-SpA) charizard
252Atk / 252Spe / 4tbc
fly / cut / rock smash / defog

shiny quiet (+SpA/-Spe) swampert
252Atk / 252SpA / 4tbc
surf / rock climb / waterfall / strength

grinding up to level 36 then i'll clear the random EV's & EV train them - nearly there!

Wow, those are amazing (being shiny, ev trained and all).

As for me, I spread them, but for Cut, Rock Climb and Rock Smash, I keep a Pokemon in the box that knows the moves and take it out whenever I need it.
These days, that goes the same with Fly, as I am grinding some Pokemon for their evolutions (thus need much space as possible).

I spread HMs that are useful in battle between the more important members of my team and then I give the rest to HM slaves.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom