• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you name your Pokemon?

I don't nickname my pokemon unless I have a fitting name for them. On pokemon White, I named Thundurus Zeus and I told my little sister to name her Tornadus Thor. And I named my Deino Zaphod for when it evolves.

Most of the times, I don't name my pokemon, but if I do I usually name them after Japanese words, characters from my favorite anime, or I ask my friends to help me.

I derive human names from the Pokemon's name, but that got tiring when I got to BW

Depending on the pokemon, I just nickname the pokemon the original Japanese name for it if it sounds a lot cooler! For example I nicknamed my hydreigon the name Sazandora because it sounds cooler

i never name them for some reason if there in battle i get more attached that way

It depends on the Pokemon. In SoulSilver, I went through a phase where I named my pokemon after mathematical or scientific terms. Although I'm thinking of renaming my Typhlosion, Giga to Juno, who was my Tybrosion in Silver.

In White, I named my Zekrom, Yin and my Thundurus, Raijin.

In Pokemon Colosseum, I named the legendary beasts after the Cipher Admins I snagged them from. Dakim for Entei, Venus for Suicune and Ein for Raikou. In the same game, my Piloswine is named Mammoth, since she'll eventually evolve into a Mamoswine in Gen IV. And they're pretty much based off Woolly Mammoths.

I usually take the first 4 letters of a pokemon's name (unless I find an earlier stage of the pokemon more suitable), and add "Leag" to it. Thus, Infernape would be "InfeLeag," or, rather, "ChimLeag." I'd name Torterra "GrotLeag," because it happens to contain 'Grotle,' which is nice.

Then again, I've come up with some amazing nicknames. I name my Umbreons "Darkmoon," and, in catching a million Ponyta's for my planned out DP team, I've settled on Barbaro for the one I chose to use. (I remember the name of Barbaro, from a not-too-distant derby. All my names were race horse-related. I named one or two of the females "Philly.") My choice Bronzor I named Bellbutton. I caught a million of those two, so I had to throw the naming rules out the window.

I think that I prefer to leave the names of legendaries alone. "Ho-oLeag" doesn't sound so good anyhow.

I name my entire main party Lakers.

So when I send in my Pokemon, my character shouts "Go Lakers!" ;)

about 95% of the time i give my pokemon human named like "chad" or "Matilda" but the other 5% i might name a Starmie "Deca", or a Swinub "Hamm." oh yeah, and if a pokemon looks like someone i know or a famous person, i name it after them. (Tangrowth=Bob Marley.)

When I was younger, I would always name my pokemon as hurricane names D:

Depends. If I don't already have an idea for a name I'll go for alliteration and pick a "human" name. Eg. I named my Charizard "Cole." I think it's fitting; Charizard, Charcoal, Cole.

I usually name my Pokemon with whatever name comes to mind. Somewhat to suit their personality and design. I also occasionally name them after characters from shows and such, fitting the characters with a Pokemon they'd best represent. For example I named my Minshao Remy (13 from House) because its design reminded me of her for some reason. Same with Amber for Houndour. Or their typing- I named my Meganium Bailey.

Simply put, most of my nicknames are usually references to characters typically found in varies media, with some more obvious then others. For example, Zecora the Zebstrika, Aslan the Entei, and Chaos the (shiny) Reuniclus, to name a few anyway.

I normally name my pokémon with whatever I come up with.

Venusaur - Frenzy
Meganium - Venus
Sceptile - Kengo
Torterra - Terra (Actually, Terra III since I gave the same name to his grandfather then did the same to his father.)
Serperior - Imperial

Charizard - Mustang
Typhlosion - Explotaro
Blaziken - Ignition
Infernape - Sun Wukong (Journey to the West character)
Emboar - Zhu Bajie (Journey to the West character)

I tend to name water starters after things which relate to oceans.
Blastoise - Pacific
Feraligatr - Atlantic
Swampert - Oceanic
Empoleon - Antarctic
Samurott - Mizu (Japanese word for water)

Zoroark - Phantom (Phantomhive was too big unfortunatly.)
Volcarona - Sun Vulcan
Dragonite - Ryuu
Tyranitar - Beserker
Salamence - Azure
Metagross - Ironhide
Garchomp - Ryusame (Dragon Shark in Japanese)
Hydreigon - Ghidora (King Ghidora was too big)

I name my pokes to what I feel like most of the time the dex entry helps.
Volcarona is Larlitz because Larva an Blitz
My Hydreigon is now called Seeall because the first stage was blind.

I nickname all my Pokémon, except for legendaries. They're named based on things related to them in some way.

For example, my SoulSilver team:
Croconaw - Jaws
Flaaffy - Zeus
Fearow - Jack
Eevee - Midna (to be Umbreon)
Meganium - Lei
Typhlosion - Sera

How do I name my Pokemon? Not well, I'm afraid... I usually have to take from other nicknames I've seen or heard. I know this girl who comes up with the most random nicknames I've ever seen. I traded her a Dratini which she named "Popcorn."

I love nicknaming my Pokemon. <3 (the ones I care about anyway...)

I typically name them after characters. Examples include Megatron the Magnezone, Starscream the Skarmory, Jake the Serperior (lolz Rattlesnake Jake), Resetti the Excadrill, and so on.

If I can't think of any good characters, then I just settle on random names. Though I try to use a name that starts with the first level of their final evolution, a name that kinda goes with what species they are, or just something that sounds nice. => Examples include Fernando the Feraligatr, Ferdinand the Sceptile, Francisco the Typhlosion, Bacon Bits the Emboar, KitKat the Delcatty, and so on.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom