• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you plan to take out Pokemon Trainer Red(Spoilers)?

Johto Trainer

Reaction score
Well,since the original Silver and Gold, Red's pokemon have gotten stronger.I was never able to defeat Red in Silver,but I will get another chance to do so in Soul Silver!Here is Red's team(with movesets):

Pikachu@Light Ball(Male)
Lv.88; Ability-Static
- Volt Tackle
- Iron Tail
- Quick Attack
- Thunderbolt

Lapras(Male)
Lv.80; Ability-Shell Armor
- Blizzard
- Brine
- Psychic
- Body Slam

Snorlax(Male)
Lv.82; Ability-Thick Fat
- Shadow Ball
- Crunch
- Blizzard
- Giga Impact

Venusaur(Male)
Lv.84; Ability-Overgrow
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep powder
- Frenzy Plant

Charizard(Male)
Lv.84; Ability-Blaze
- Flare Blitz
- Air Slash
- Blast Burn
- Dragon Pulse

Blastoise(Male)
Lv.84; Ability-Torrent
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Cannon
- Blizzard
- Flash Cannon

Source:http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Red_(game)

I have most of this planned.First, I'll send out Donphan to use Earthquake on Pikachu.Then,for Lapras I'm going to send out Gengar(It will have Thunderbolt).For Snorlax,Gengar(It also will have Focus Blast).For Venusaur, I'm going to send out my Pschic pokemon,which is currently unknown.Charizard will deal with Feraligtr,or Kingdra and Blastoise will face Gengar.But since I'm using Gengar for almost all of Red's pokemon,I'll need a back-up,which I don't have...

So,discuss how you'll take down Red!Or,just talk about him!

I worked my butt off, but here's how my battle with Red went in SS:

Red sends out Pikachu. I send out Lugia (level 70).
Pikachu uses Volt Tackle, knocking out Lugia.
I send out ユメリン(Yumerin, Ampharos, Level 75.
Quick Claw activates, Power Gem hits Pikachu, just missing the kill.
Pikachu uses Volt Tackle again, Ampharos lives with about 3/4th of her HP, and Pikachu dies to recoil.
Red sends out Snorlax, I keep Yumerin out.
Snorlax uses Blizzard, I use Thunder Punch. Thunder punch barely does anything, but I keep Yumerin out.
Snorlax uses Blizzard again, and I barely survive, able to use Thunder Punch again.
I use a full heal, he uses blizzard again. Yumerin gets frozen.
I call Yumerin back, and send out ミズシロ (Mizushiro, Poliwrath, level 74). Snorlax uses Crunch.
Next turn I use Wake-Up Slap, bringing snorlax to about 1/4th of his HP. Snorlax uses Shadow ball, but it doesn't hurt me much.
Red full heals, I use wake-up slap again.
Red calls back Snorlax, and sends out Venasaur. I use Wake-Up slap, which was intended for Snorlax.
I realize this is bad, and send out ヒミツ(Himitsu, Rapidash, level 74). Red uses Sludge Bomb, which leaves Himitsu with only about 1/4th of her HP.
Thankfully, I'm faster, and hit with Fire Blast, just missing the kill. He uses Sludge Bomb again and knocks out Rapidash. However, hail hits Venasaur and takes him out with me.
Not knowing who he would throw up, I send out Ho-Oh (level 70). He sends out Blastoise. Oops on my part.
I use Ho-Oh as bait so I can heal up some of my knocked out Pokémon, and Red misses a blizzard attack.
Stupidly, I go for an attack, but this time Red's Blizzard hits. I use Punishment, which does, like, nothing.
Red uses Blizzard again, I use Ancient Power. The hail leaves Ho-Oh with 4 hp.
Figuring Ho-Oh's dead anyways, I go for an attack, and get killed by Focus Blast.
I send Yumerin back out. Red misses another use of Focus Blast, and I hit with Thunder Punch, which again just misses the kill. Hail finishes the job for me.
Red sends out Charizard, and I swap Mizushiro back in. I heal him back up with a full heal, and Red uses Air Slash, leaving me with 2HP. o___o Mizushiro is knocked out again, thanks to the hail.
I send Yumerin back out, and heal up another pokemon. Red uses Flare Blitz.
I heal up some more and let Yumerin die to Dragon pulse to pull up Lugia.
Red uses Flare Blitz, I use Hydro Pump, but miss. >_>
Repeat of above, except I hit this time and knock out Charizard.
Red sends out Lapras, and I leave Lugia up. I heal up another Pokémon, Lapras uses Brine to knock out Lugia.
I send out ミナ(Mina, Meganium, Level 75) and heal some more. Lapras uses Blizzard and knocks Mina out in one go.
I send up Yumerin again. Quick Claw activates again, and I hit with Thunder Punch. Lapras hits me with Blizzard and freezes Yumerin.
I heal Yumerin, Lapras uses Blizzard again.
Yumerin's speed is better than Lapras' anyways and hits with another Thunder Punch next turn, nearly knocking out Lapras. Lapras uses Blizzard, knocking Yumerin out.
I send out Mizushiro to heal up again. Red full heals Lapras.
Lapras uses psychic and knocks out Mizushiro.
I send Yumerin back out and heal. Lapras uses Blizzard.
Quick Claw again, this time I use Thunder. Lapras uses Brine, once again knocking Yumerin out. >T
I send up Lugia, and heal up again. Lapras uses Brine.
Healing again, Lapras uses brine again to knock out Lugia.
I send Yumerin up AGAIN, and use Thunder punch for the knock out.
Only Snorlax is left now, so I send up Mizushiro.
A few wake-up slaps later, Snorlax is down and I got to see the credits again.

In general, Mina (Meganium) and Yumerin (Ampharos) were for Blastoise and Lapras (Yumerin more so for Lapras). Lugia and Mizushiro (Poliwrath) for Charizard. Mizushiro covered Snorlax as well. Himitsu (Rapidash) covered Venasaur. And since Yumerin has Power Gem, she also covered Pikachu. :3

The battle took me, like, half an hour... .___.;

Why all the spoilers about the games? These are freakin remakes.

Anyways, Espeon, Houndoom, Flygon, An HM slave, Ampharos, and something else.

Anyways, Espeon, Houndoom, Flygon, An HM slave, Ampharos, and something else.

Some still want to be surprised.

And I hate to tell you, even if all those Pokémon are level 100, you're going to have a lot of trouble with Red. I've gone in with Heatran, two Arceus, Rhyperior and Rotom all at 100 and been pushed to defeat him.

Pikachu@Light Ball(Male)
Lv.88; Ability-Static
- Volt Tackle
- Iron Tail
- Quick Attack
- Thunderbolt

Lapras(Male)
Lv.80; Ability-Shell Armor
- Blizzard
- Brine
- Psychic
- Body Slam

Snorlax(Male)
Lv.82; Ability-Thick Fat
- Shadow Ball
- Crunch
- Blizzard
- Giga Impact

Venusaur(Male)
Lv.84; Ability-Overgrow
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep powder
- Frenzy Plant

Charizard(Male)
Lv.84; Ability-Blaze
- Flare Blitz
- Air Slash
- Blast Burn
- Dragon Pulse

Blastoise(Male)
Lv.84; Ability-Torrent
- Focus Blast
- Hydro Cannon
- Blizzard
- Flash Cannon
Pikachu-Any ground-type will do...I'll try to raise a Nidoking though.
Lapras&Blastoise-I'll try to raise a Raichu for them.
Snorelax-A good fighting Pokemon, so mostly likely Hitmontop or Machamp.
Venosaur-Haha I'll either use Dragonite or raise a Arcanine.
Charizard-My starter will be Totodile...so yeah Charizard is no problem.

That gives me a total of 5 Pokemon, so a 6th one will have to be a HM slave.

I've never had a team leveled anywhere near that high since the Red version. I don't remember whether I beat him in Gold--I probably did, but probably with a team imported from Red--a lvl 100 Mewtwo was still lovely then, even nerfed.

But with my new, non-legendary (except Latias) policy? Hm.

Well, I'll have Dragonite max out her attack with Dragon Dance and hit Pikachu in the face with a hyper beam (or the stronger Outrage) just because I hate that thing. I don't care if it'll end up paralyzing me, it'll be worth it.

Lapras? I don't know, dragons aren't so good against ice types. Too bad Kingdra can't learn electric attacks. I'll just whittle it down.

Blastoise? Gah, another water type. Kingdra again.

Snorelax? Maybe a long, drawn out battle with Kingdra again. I really hate Blizzard.

Venusaur? Latias with psychic or Altaria with some flying moves. I don't usually waste those on Dragonite.

Charizard? Finally, something Kingdra won't have to wage a war of attrition with. Or I'll use anybody else if she's down. Dragon Pulse could be painful.

Yeah, intentionally limiting myself to one type and ditchimg my starter asap is going to be painful. The things I do to use my dragons. I guess I could look for a balanced moveset for the party.

And I hate to tell you, even if all those Pokémon are level 100, you're going to have a lot of trouble with Red. I've gone in with Heatran, two Arceus, Rhyperior and Rotom all at 100 and been pushed to defeat him.

Then they shouldn't be here, in the HGSS forum, where we are obviously talking about the games.

Karen said:
Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Enough said...

2009-12-08131536.jpg

Empress (Lv. 100 Empoleon, Spec. Sweeper, Modest)
Stealth Rock, Surf, Ice Beam, Rock Climb

Caboose (Lv. 100 Lucario, Spec. Sweeper, Modest)
Dragon Pulse, Psychic, Aura Sphere, Detect

Mimi (Lv. 100 Glaceon, PhysTank/Special Attacker, Relaxed)
Blizzard, Hail, Fake Tears, Wish

Jimmy (Lv. 100 Jimmy, Spec. Sweeper, Modest)
Nasty Plot, Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, Grass Knot

Specs (Lv. 100 Porygon-Z, Spec. Sweeper, Modest)
Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt

Guy Montag (Lv. 100 Typhlosion, Spec. Sweeper, Hasty)
Eruption, Flamethrower, Sunny Day, SolarBeam

Last edited:
For Me battling Red?

Take the strongest Pokemon I have at the time and run blindly into battle. Trying to see if you can win without looking up the opponents Pokemon is always fun in my opinion. XD

I got a level 100 Groudon w/ Ground and Fire-type moves, so it'll cover Pika and Saur, then my level 100 Vileplume has Grass and Water-type moves, so she should get Charizard (if Charizard doesn't get her first), Blastoise and Lapras. As far as Snorlax goes, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Of course, plenty of Full Restores couldn't hurt. ;)

Hidden Power: Electric...

Yes, because that's so easy to control isn't it?

Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh!

Spoiler tags because no one wants to stare at giant blocks of text? EDIT: Oh you meant on the title. New movesets? Also lack of Espeon.

I'll do it the same way I did in Gold version. Climbing up Mt. Silver completely unprepared not knowing that I would be battling the strongest trainer of all the games.

Last edited:
Typlosion, Houndoom, Pidgeot, Ampharos, Weavile, Victreebel is my team

Movesets are my secrets I dare not share.....I shall go into battle without a care maybe unprepared

Huh...sounds like his Pokemon's stats are right through the roof. I wouldn't be surprised if they've all got perfect base stats.

I haven't finalized what I'm catching yet aside from Cyndaquil and Dragonite, but my present plan for this is to use:

*Dragonite--good all around stats--can serve as backup against half of them. If he can survive Pikachu's Light Balled up attacks, I may try to go for a Dragon Dance sweep.
*Typlosion--Should be able to handle Venusaur.
*Rhyperior (Solid Rick)--if he can't beat Pikachu, he's off the team.*
*Jolteon--With enough Special Attack and Speed EVs, I'm hoping it can drop Charizard and Blastoise. Might be able to handle Lapras, but maybe not--I'll be surprised if Charizard doesn't damage him at least once, and I don't see him one-shotting Lapras.
*Machamp (No Guard)--Use Dynamic Punch--hopefully he can take down Snorlax and Lapras, neither are known for Defense, and atleast seriously annoy most others.
*Mewtwo--Similarly to Dragonite, his main job is to throw himself against anyone proving unexpectedly hard to defeat.

I'll have the ability to switch between opponents off, so any sort of planing is haphazardous at best for now.

Getting high enough level to face him without the Versus Seeker is probably going to be a gigantic pain, though.

Last edited:
Getting high enough level to face him without the Versus Seeker is probably going to be a gigantic pain, though.

So true!I was playing through Silver again,just for the fun of it,and I had a full team of 6.By the time I got to Clair, my pokemon were only around the 30s!!My highest being 32!I still managed to beat Clair,but that shows that having a full team of 6, will get your pokemon under-leveled unless all you is start grinding in the grass with the highest leveled wild pokemon.

Except not necessarily. The Pokemon League doesn't level up until after you defeat Red. Considering that you can solo them with just about any Pokemon above level 65 (yes, even NFE's), you can easily train there before you fight Red.

Except not necessarily. The Pokemon League doesn't level up until after you defeat Red. Considering that you can solo them with just about any Pokemon above level 65 (yes, even NFE's), you can easily train there before you fight Red.

No, this is wrong. They had the upgraded team for me before Red. :| I have no idea what triggered it, but they had their upgraded team before I had beaten Red.

The best way to train IMO is the rematches. Change your DS's clock and keep calling them over and over, owning their team with whoever needs training (aka: whoever's strong against the type).

No, this is wrong. They had the upgraded team for me before Red. :| I have no idea what triggered it, but they had their upgraded team before I had beaten Red.

The best way to train IMO is the rematches. Change your DS's clock and keep calling them over and over, owning their team with whoever needs training (aka: whoever's strong against the type).

Huh. Well, I didn't know that. I haven't played HGSS yet so I thought the upgrades came after Red (along with the Kanto/Hoenn starters.) Nevermind then. Just rematching the Gym Leaders would work fine, I suppose, right?

Just battle wild Pokemon at Mt. Silver's base. Its not like Trainer Pokemon are ever that much more powerful even with the power up, or you know, get Gym Leader's phone numbers :/

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom