• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you play in-game

Having just now picked up a DS and not having played a Pokemon game since the original...I'm kinda finding my way through the pokedex and figuring out what I like. I'm a good 50 hours into Black and have a decent amout captured and fully evolved. I was messing aroung with the legendaries that I had, but now that got boring so I'm running around training anything interesting in my Box to see what I like. Won't be battling anyone since I'm in Afghanistan...so just concerned with the single player for now.

Gotta admit...it's kinda cool to come back to the game after so long and see all the new pokemon to catch...and then after beating the elite four all the so-called "old" ones that I've never seen.

Tepig was my starter and is generally awesome in his fully evolved state at level 70, but psychic-types can put him down quick and he seems quite succeptible to Earthquake.

Absol seems great, but I like to tinker with pokemon who evolve moreso...and if I don't find one I like better than him...he makes the cut.

Legendaries are fun for a while, but when you have a squad of nothing but legendaries or psuedo-legendaries (as I see they are called), it can make the game boring at times.

I always use Pokemon that I like, but I also try to get a variety of types or movesets. I seem to always have a water type and carry my starter through to the end of the game.

I always have a team that consists of Pokemon I like, regardless of type-coverage. However, I always build my team for more or less practicality. I always use my starter on my team, I never use legendaries, and I always have a Water type and a Flying type, because Surf, Waterfall and Fly are useful moves for a Pokemon anyways. I also try to collect Pokemon from different times in the game, to create diversity, though that doesn't always fly. I will never use a Pokemon I don't like, including Dragonite, Blaziken, and Salamence (I really don't like how they look) I do, however use Dragonair with an Everstone, sometimes. Because I love Dragonair.

In Crystal, my current team is Bayleef, Noctowl, Poliwhirl and Stantler.
In Emerald, I have Grovyle, Swellow, Swalot and Torkoal.
In Black, my team was Samurott, Archeops, Mienfoo, Durant and Krookodile.

I use Pokemon that I like and that's it. Ingame I tend to not care. I just can't stand it when I get a nature that decreases the Pokemon's best stat. Sometimes I try Pokemon that I haven't used before.

Prior to beating the League, I use mixed team consisting of my starter, a flying Pokemon, and Pokemon to cover as many weaknesses as possible. When I catch the version mascot, I also add that to my team prior to beating the League.

After I beat the League, I transfer my favorites from old games if possible and use them to help train Pokemon in the new game.

In game I simply catch Pokemon that I see as unique.. I end up attached to them and try training them. If I get stuck, I swap out my team for another member and train them. I just like giving different Pokemon chances. Though I keep my starter on my team at all times. It just feels weird not having it there! o_O

I use my favourite types and type matchups cause like the Straiton Trio says, "Type matchups are important!"

I always use my favourites and I try to plan some tactic to defeat the over used pokémon.

It generally depends mainly on these factors for me:
-Which Pokémon I see and catch first
-How many versions of the Generation I have
-Various in-game events that may strategically keep me from wanting to use or not use a certain Pokémon.

Typically, at the start of each game, I pick a starter based on which one I feel is the cutest, regardless of whatever strategic advantages it may have later in the game (which I usually am unaware of since I usually avoid news and discussions of new releases until I've had a chance to play them), and then as the game progresses I'll typically catch any new Pokémon I encounter, provided I have an adequate number of Pokéballs, and use whichever ones I like the best. However, there are a lot of factors that may prevent me from using a Pokémon, even if I do like another one better. Namely, I may not feel confident enough to challenge a gym leader or Elite 4 member if I do not have a Pokémon of a type that is super-effective against their own, or perhaps I've grown so attached to a Pokémon I previously didn't like after training it so vigorously.

Generally, though, my Pokémon Party often coincide with both personal preference and general balance. For example, in Pokémon XD, I never got close to losing a single battle because every trainer seemed to have Pokémon that were weak against at least one one of the Pokémon I had on hand. However, I did have to change out one slot several times because one of my Pokémon always just happened to be super weak against everything else! (From Ledian to Beedrill and then finally to Duskull to be specific)

On the other hand, if I possess more than one version of a game (for example, I used to have both Blue and Yellow versions, but I have no idea where my Yellow version is... I feel terrible! I also have both Ruby and Sapphire) then I will typically aim to use different Pokémon in each game. So for example, in Sapphire, I used a Zigzagoon (and eventually Linoone) for most of the game based mainly on my preference over Poochyena, but in Ruby, I decided to use Poochyena. I don't know why I decide to do that, but it's usually this desire to use different Pokémon that makes the game a thousand times more difficult. That's the charm, though! It provides a much more fresh experience than simply doing the same thing with another version.

So I guess in jest, it mainly boils down to preference for me, but I like to try to mix it up once in awhile so it doesn't get tiring.

For me it's usually who ever I think looks interesting and has good moves. One thing that's always stuck throughout my games is no matter what I always have my starter with me, it never leaves. I may make changes to my party throughout the course of a game but the starter is always in my party.

Nowadays I just play with Pokemon that are either my favorites, or Pokemon that I would like to try out as for something different. I used to build teams a little more competitively back in the day.

I started doing this last Generation with all the games except diamond. Every time I play through the story mode of a game, i specifically use pokemon that i've not used before on other playthoughs (not counting the starters). I feel this helps me understand each individual species a lot more, being able to see what they're capable of, what kind of moves they can learn, and how they match up against others. In following this personal policy, i found myself using unconventional pokemon that i probably wouldn't have used otherwise, as well as steering away from the "popular" pokemon that pretty much everybody uses, which i find to be a little cliche. For example, in SoulSilver, i used a Dunsparce, Togetic, Stantler, Octillery, and a Hitmontop. Now, next time i play any game fresh from the start, i can't use those five pokemon.

When I first started playing, I didn't have any real preferences set out, and barely even knew what a type was, so choice was more of a matter of "avoid the Pokémon who look ugly" than anything else; combine that with the fact that I am too lazy to train new Pokémon beyond the early towns (they're too far behind! Grinding is boring!), and my first few teams were basically my starter and a few others tagging along that didn't even fill all the slots. XD

For some weird reason, this changed before Generation V came out, probably because I had been playing competitively (if cruising the wireless battles on Pokémon Revolution counts as "playing competitively"). I tried to plan a team with the most balanced types and the best stats that I could find within the first 5 towns or so, and barely caught anything outside of that roster. Looks were still a priority—I never caught a Garbodor, after all (no offense)—and almost all the Pokémon I liked, but it wasn't as high.

At first I tried to care about natures, but that didn't really work out and now I just try to find one that... well, I don't actually care at all. I know they could be a lot better, but when you're trying to get a female Tepig and had to reset about 20 times to get it, it's a lot harder to.

I just do with the Pokemon I like.
Right now I'm just swapping between my Generation IV games, both of which have Lickilicky on them.
I also always choose the water type starter because that's the first starter I ever got.

I kind of just follow how my game goes. I'll go through one game with pokemon I like. Then I'll go through the game again with a different set of pokemon. I end up adding even more pokemon to my favorites list.

I use everything in my games. My team is over a box's worth of Pokemon now. I use my favorite's in-game, but I also do the same with the brand new EV Trained Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom