• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you portray TMs?

Reaction score
I'm back to writing pokémon fanfic, after years of Games Mastering Warhammer 40K roleplay. Needless to say, after the GRIMDARK of the 40Kverse I'm in the mood for something light-hearted. Anyway, point is, I'm writing an original character fanfic based more or less on the anime so I'm wondering how people approach the usage of TMs in their own fic?

I usually don't really care whether the move is learnt via level up/TM/breeding/move tutor and so on :3 If the move is listed, I consider the pokémon to be able to learn it. Once or twice I let a pokémon to learn a move that isn't even listed, but I don't see a problem there, if there's a reason. I probably haven't helped you much, but that's the way I deal with moves

I have TMs as small disks that can be inserted into computers, Pokedexes, or even smart phones, that instruct the user on how to teach their Pokémon that move.

Basically the same as the way I think of move tutors.

I personally don't even use TM's in stories - the trainers teach their Pokémon moves and techniques by themselves.

I have TMs as small disks that can be inserted into computers, Pokedexes, or even smart phones, that instruct the user on how to teach their Pokémon that move.

Basically the same as the way I think of move tutors.

This is also pretty much the same way I think of them, with the addition that the earlier ones (Gen. I-IV) had really terrible DRM.

Like Lugion and juiceboxxx, I would portray TMs and HMs as discs (DVDs?) with instructional information for the trainer. I tend to ignore the fact that TMs in Generations I-IV broke after one use, though I may portray their sudden durability in Generation V as a transition from DVD to Blu-ray.

The way they portray them in the games just makes more sense. The way I use them in my fic is that they aren't physically able to use and only my main character can implement them. Yes, at first sight it seems kind of Sueish, but the main character has a heavy handicap with his main Pokemon so it's a trade off.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom