• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

how do you think cartoon network will handle xy

johnpoke

Reaction score
how do you think cartoon network will treat x/y. For the past few years they haven't done a good job promoting it.

do you think they'll treat it better this time around i think they should start treating it like its an original i mean it has been there for at least 8 years

It's probably going to be treated the same as it was in the past, the reason CN hasn't done a good job promoting the anime is because it's simply an acquisition that it only has the airing rights to, and not a homegrown show like Adventure Time or Regular Show are, which are promoted to hell and back again because they are CN's flagship shows.

And it's a wonder not that many kids today are into Pokemon anymore...

The only time I ever see Pokemon getting promoted on CN is on Saturday morning right before the show, and whenever a movie is coming out.

A bit sad tbh.

TPCi should go into a partnership with Saban to promote and air Pokemon, i mean imagine Pokemon on the Vortexx. it would be just like the Pokemon on Kids WB days except without the pointless edits and (sometimes) Cringworthy 4kids voice actors. The franchise's popularity in the west could skyrocket to it's former fame.

Its not that kids here dont know about the anime, its that they don't care.

TPCi should go into a partnership with Saban to promote and air Pokemon, i mean imagine Pokemon on the Vortexx. it would be just like the Pokemon on Kids WB days except without the pointless edits and (sometimes) Cringworthy 4kids voice actors. The franchise's popularity in the west could skyrocket to it's former fame.
You're forgetting, Vortexx still has strict broadcasting standards, stricter than Cartoon Network's.

Justice League Unlimited, a show that aired on Cartoon Network, was severely edited when brought onto Vortexx, even to the point of skipping episodes. Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal is also edited (Though this might be Konami's decision, not Vortexx's). One example of edits include the fact that they apparently can't use the word "fight". And if I remember correctly, they use "fight" a lot on Pokémon.

Not to mention Cartoon Network gets way better ratings than Vortexx. Cartoon Network also airs Pokémon every morning, while Vortexx is only on Saturday Mornings.

The only bonus I could see putting Pokémon onto Vortexx is the individual episode promos. They make different promos for every episode of a lot of their shows, including Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal. Besides that, I see no good coming out of moving Pokémon now.

It would probably have more edits airing on the Vortexx than it would airing on Cartoon Network due to the CW's standards. Perhaps not too many pointless edits, but there would be most likely more edits. There's also the issue that Cartoon Network gets better ratings than the Vortexx does.

I could see them maybe promoting the start of the series a bit more, but probably not much more than that. It's not too surprising when they don't own Pokemon so they don't get as much money from it compared to shows that they actually own. Promoting the series a bit more would be nice though, but probably doesn't have a good chance of happening.

^^ Basically, that's sorta it. And yeah it won't change anytime soon.
The only time I ever see Pokemon getting promoted on CN is on Saturday morning right before the show, and whenever a movie is coming out.

A bit sad tbh.

Exactly what I mean, the show is basically just there, and the Pokemon franchise is far less popular outside of Japan because of the nostalgic Gen 1 fans becoming more dominant in the fandom, as well as the scheduling and lack of advertisements of the anime on CN. Kids these days aren't into shows like Pokemon because of it (and because of stupid decisions TPCi has made within the past few years that has driven older fans away from the franchise, but that's another topic), they're into either Spongebob (a show which I keep wondering why it's not dead yet) or franchises that have been around for longer than Pokemon has been (and made in the US and not Japan) like Star Wars, Batman, Transformers, Marvel Comics, etc. Pokemon just isn't viable to todays kids anymore, which is why I feel the franchise is also dying outside of Japan.

Exactly what I mean, the show is basically just there, and the Pokemon franchise is far less popular outside of Japan because of the nostalgic Gen 1 fans becoming more dominant in the fandom, as well as the scheduling and lack of advertisements of the anime on CN. Kids these days aren't into shows like Pokemon because of it (and because of stupid decisions TPCi has made within the past few years that has driven older fans away from the franchise, but that's another topic), they're into either Spongebob (a show which I keep wondering why it's not dead yet) or franchises that have been around for longer than Pokemon has been (and made in the US and not Japan) like Star Wars, Batman, Transformers, Marvel Comics, etc. Pokemon just isn't viable to todays kids anymore, which is why I feel the franchise is also dying outside of Japan.

Despite the small amount of promotion, Pokemon still gets ratings, so I don't think that the series isn't viable to today's kids. The franchise certainly isn't dying outside of Japan, but that's neither here or there. Cartoon Network could and honestly should provide more promotion for the series, but the anime is still attracting kids. It's no where near as big as it was in its hay day, but it still does fairly well for a show that has been on the air for over a decade on Saturday mornings.

It won't be Promoted aince it is NOTHING TO THEM and they will Focus on more Shows Like Uncle Grandpa and Regular Show which are NOT GOOD.

It won't be Promoted aince it is NOTHING TO THEM and they will Focus on more Shows Like Uncle Grandpa and Regular Show which are NOT GOOD.

I'm sure it will be promoted, but it will be limited to one commercial for each season, like BW. Uncle Grandpa does suck (I heard the online series wasn't bad, though...), and as for RS...let's just say Muscle Man needs to be given a rest.

Last edited:

Despite the small amount of promotion, Pokemon still gets ratings, so I don't think that the series isn't viable to today's kids. The franchise certainly isn't dying outside of Japan, but that's neither here or there. Cartoon Network could and honestly should provide more promotion for the series, but the anime is still attracting kids. It's no where near as big as it was in its hay day, but it still does fairly well for a show that has been on the air for over a decade on Saturday mornings.

Agreed, most of the Pokemon fans I know are teens and adults online, I haven't met a kid in the target audience who likes Pokemon in years, but it's gone from a major name in pop-culture to essentially a secondary/tertiary name in pop-culture. The long-time fandom however, is still loyal to the franchise and will almost always appreciate it.

I'm sure it will be promoted, but it will be limited to one commercial for each season, like BW. Uncle Grandpa does suck (I heard the online series wasn't bad, though...), and as for RS...let's just say Muscle Man needs to be given a rest.

Like I said earlier, the Pokemon anime is simply an acquisition that CN has the airing rights to, it's doesn't make CN money, it makes TPCi money, so the reason CN promotes it's homegrown shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show over Pokemon is because those are the shows that make CN money (and yes, Muscle Man needs to be given a rest, more love for Skips and Thomas please!)

Interesting to say since CN frequently promotes and airs advertisements for Legends of Chima and the ever-despised Johnny Test, despite neither being a CN original and again, simply are aquisitions and not CN's money-makers. Is it that CN just doesn't like the Pokemon anime? Given the original cancellation of Toonami years back, it's obvious CN doesn't like anime, of which Pokemon is one itself.

Agreed, most of the Pokemon fans I know are teens and adults online, I haven't met a kid in the target audience who likes Pokemon in years, but it's gone from a major name in pop-culture to essentially a secondary/tertiary name in pop-culture. The long-time fandom however, is still loyal to the franchise and will almost always appreciate it.

I remember seeing a couple of kids at the last couple of Pokemon events at ToysRUs. It's still a pretty big name in pop culture. Just because it isn't insanely popular doesn't change that.

Robo-Floatzel said:
Like I said earlier, the Pokemon anime is simply an acquisition that CN has the airing rights to, it's doesn't make CN money, it makes TPCi money, so the reason CN promotes it's homegrown shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show over Pokemon is because those are the shows that make CN money (and yes, Muscle Man needs to be given a rest, more love for Skips and Thomas please!)

Interesting to say since CN frequently promotes and airs advertisements for Legends of Chima and the ever-despised Johnny Test, despite neither being a CN original and again, simply are aquisitions and not CN's money-makers. Is it that CN just doesn't like the Pokemon anime? Given the original cancellation of Toonami years back, it's obvious CN doesn't like anime, of which Pokemon is one itself.

I seriously doubt that they don't like anime. Using the cancellation of the original Toonami to try and prove that doesn't really make much sense when that block was basically on life-support at that time anyway with being reduced to two hours and Naruto fillers were the only premiers. If they didn't like anime, they wouldn't have it on their lineup or bother to include other toyetic anime on their morning lineup along with Pokemon. As for those other shows, I think that Cartoon Network helped in making Legends of Chima, although I could be mistaken, and Johnny Test gets ratings. It's the same reason why they promote those Total Drama seasons, even though they're aquisitions too. They get really good ratings. Pokemon gets good ratings all things considered, but probably not enough for them to throw out a bunch of promos for it compared to some of their other shows.

I remember seeing a couple of kids at the last couple of Pokemon events at ToysRUs. It's still a pretty big name in pop culture. Just because it isn't insanely popular doesn't change that.

Robo-Floatzel said:

I seriously doubt that they don't like anime. Using the cancellation of the original Toonami to try and prove that doesn't really make much sense when that block was basically on life-support at that time anyway with being reduced to two hours and Naruto fillers were the only premiers. If they didn't like anime, they wouldn't have it on their lineup or bother to include other toyetic anime on their morning lineup along with Pokemon. As for those other shows, I think that Cartoon Network helped in making Legends of Chima, although I could be mistaken, and Johnny Test gets ratings. It's the same reason why they promote those Total Drama seasons, even though they're aquisitions too. They get really good ratings. Pokemon gets good ratings all things considered, but probably not enough for them to throw out a bunch of promos for it compared to some of their other shows.

I will agree with you, Pokemon is still popular, though newer fans within the target audience are coming in more slowly, plus I've noticed a lot of them are leaning more towards the games than they do the anime, when during Gen 1 it was mostly the anime that got people's attention and the games, while they still sold millions, were just there. To many of the nostalgic Gen 1 fans, only the anime exists and the games don't at all.

I will agree with you on Toonami, considering it was airing only Naruto fillers (which fans of Naruto are not fond of) and all the other shows were booted off because Naruto was their flagship show at the time, many of the other anime never got to finish their run. Considering after Toonami was cancelled was when the infamous CN Real block came in to replace it and CN believed that anime like the shows on Toonami were no longer viable, in recent years, action shows on CN such as the ill-fated Sym-Bionic Titan and Young Justice have all gotten cancelled both for lack of promotion and for not selling toys since it seems like action series need toylines in order to even exist, and more focus has been given to the comedic shows like Adventure Time and Regular Show, which are the shows that are getting the most ratings right now.

This is why when Toonami came back it was put on Adult Swim instead of CN and why the anime CN airs is mostly toyetic anime series on early Saturday mornings that rarely gets advertised, since CN doesn't believe anime is viable to them like it was when the original Toonami was still around, so they give more focus to the American and Canadian productions, even the acquisitions, because it seems like anime just isn't really marketable to them, that and they probably know of the controversies involving anime dubs that air during the daytime hours (caused mostly by 4Kids and their constant butchering of anime), hence why most anime on the network is shafted to Adult Swim because of content issues.

As for the Pokemon anime, I was told by many it gets rather high ratings, even if they shrunk during BW, it's still one of the top rated shows on CN, I just believe that they don't think anime like Pokemon is viable to them like it was in the past. I remember back in 2004 when CN aired the first season of the anime, and they advertised it every other commercial break or so, now advertisements only happen RIGHT BEFORE the show happens, with the only Pokemon ads you see being for whatever the most recent game or TCG set is (which is about almost every other commercial break), while the anime basically doesn't exist to them, like CN is purposely trying to bury it.

I imagine they'll promote the series premiere (mainly the Preview Special), then just use it to fill holes in the schedule (as usual).

As has been said, CN has their own shows to promote. Likewise--and let's face it--Pokémon just ISN'T as popular in the US of A as it once was :-( (Or at least the show sure isn't. Hell, Anime itself no longer matters to most Americans anymore :bawl:)

Last edited:
...Unless you're a gamer and a started playing Pokemon since the 1st gen and still play it! Either that or a Nintendo fanatic.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom