• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you think Goh would have responded to the OS weirdness Ash went through?

Kallyle

Starwalker Neo
Reaction score
One of the things I don't think was touched on in Journeys was the sheer weirdness of the phenomenon from the original series despite a) spending a ton of time in Kanto and b) being a world hopping series. We've had things ranging from a talking Gastly with OP illusions to the giants of Pokémopolis to even the unique mutations present in the Orange Islands like the Crystal Onix and the pink Pokémon. However, none of these locations (nor the Orange Islands as a whole) and phenomenon were even brought up in passing. You'd think that with all the nostalgia-baiting that Journeys would touch upon this stuff since Goh especially might be interested in these weird things involving Pokémon and his goal to catch them all in order to prove his worth to Mew.

Since Journeys is over we'll never see these things again, so I ask you guys this: how do you personally think Goh would fair against some the weird OS shenanigans? Would they have provided a good challenge for him to catch in comparison to his other captures? Or would they prove too much for the kid given what he's used to?

One of the things I don't think was touched on in Journeys was the sheer weirdness of the phenomenon from the original series despite a) spending a ton of time in Kanto and b) being a world hopping series. We've had things ranging from a talking Gastly with OP illusions to the giants of Pokémopolis to even the unique mutations present in the Orange Islands like the Crystal Onix and the pink Pokémon. However, none of these locations (nor the Orange Islands as a whole) and phenomenon were even brought up in passing. You'd think that with all the nostalgia-baiting that Journeys would touch upon this stuff since Goh especially might be interested in these weird things involving Pokémon and his goal to catch them all in order to prove his worth to Mew.

Since Journeys is over we'll never see these things again, so I ask you guys this: how do you personally think Goh would fair against some the weird OS shenanigans? Would they have provided a good challenge for him to catch in comparison to his other captures? Or would they prove too much for the kid given what he's used to?
Well for one thing, he'll be baffled that he somehow missed an entire phase in Kanto where everyone were using wired telephone and telephone booths with CRT screens. And that the Cerulean Gym was once a tiny carousal-like building with Dewgong before it was upgraded into this supermassive, state-of-art Gym under Misty's tenure.

And that the Cerulean Gym was once a tiny carousal-like building with Dewgong before it was upgraded into this supermassive, state-of-art Gym under Misty's tenure.
Didn't the Cerulean gym house an aquarium and a water show? I dont think it was ever suppose to be tiny

The early episodes like to mention that most trainers catch a lot of Pokémon, and that Ash catches lower on average than other people. By Mystery of the Lighthouse, Gary is revealed to have captured 45 Pokémon, and Gary has over 200 Pokémon by Showdown at the Po-ké Coral. This becomes really hilarious in hindsight when you realize a lot of the main characters never have a full team of six on-hand, only a few others like May and Dawn do. I guess Goh could have been rivals with Gary as early as the beginning in terms of catching Pokémon. Even now, Goh owns less Pokémon in 146 episodes than Gary does in 65 episodes.

The early episodes like to mention that most trainers catch a lot of Pokémon, and that Ash catches lower on average than other people
Not really? Ash was only compared to Gary who was exceptional. Unless the regional dubs I watched were flawed they never suggest it’s the norm to catch a lot of Pokémon, just that Ash is lagging behind Gary.

Not really? Ash was only compared to Gary who was exceptional. Unless the regional dubs I watched were flawed they never suggest it’s the norm to catch a lot of Pokémon, just that Ash is lagging behind Gary.
Here are screenshots from the original Japanese version of episode 13, where Misty and Brock criticize the amount of Pokémon Ash has captured without bringing up Gary.

20to30PokemonSmall.png

Another thing that's worth noting is that, from the time Goh catches Scorbunny in JN005 to 13 episodes later in JN018, Goh caught 29 Pokémon in total. Brock's comment is actually not that far off, if we solely take Goh's catching progression seriously. However, the idea of a usual trainer catching 20 to 30 Pokémon in 13 episodes goes against the progression of every main character, aside from Goh.

. However, the idea of a usual trainer catching 20 to 30 Pokémon in 13 episodes goes against the progression of every main character, aside from Goh.
13 episodes isn't a progression of time though. 13 episodes for Kanto could be like 3 months (because the writers weren't worried about needing to keep Ash as an eternal 10 year old at the time) where in Journeys it could be like 2 weeks.

13 episodes isn't a progression of time though. 13 episodes for Kanto could be like 3 months (because the writers weren't worried about needing to keep Ash as an eternal 10 year old at the time) where in Journes it could be like 2 weeks.
You are correct, but I don't see how that goes against what I was saying exactly. It is still a short amount of time no matter how you look at it. I also wish people would do research and look at the episodes themselves, instead of spread false information as facts. It is factually incorrect to say that only Gary was exceptional, when there was proof that other trainers were also exceptional.

13 episodes isn't a progression of time though. 13 episodes for Kanto could be like 3 months (because the writers weren't worried about needing to keep Ash as an eternal 10 year old at the time) where in Journeys it could be like 2 weeks.
"Episodes" is the only consistent unit of time because the characters in this show don’t age. I don’t agree with your time assessments as they don’t have any canon basis. It is logical to have "X Episodes" as a unit of time because… that’s the only unit of progression in a saga where everyone is eternally their age.

Not well, and likely would've bickered with him. However, I found Ash being snarky very funny, personally.

Maybe Ash would have more of a rivalry with him, feeling insecure that Go caught a legendary Pokémon so easily while he never gets respect from anyone unless he works really hard or risks his life. Go is probably the most privileged character while OS Ash is often the underdog. If Go solved the conflict of the episode every week by catching the Pokémon OS Ash might feel like he is in his shadow.

On the other hand Go caught Suicune without cheating which is something OS Ash is often guilty of. Maybe that could lead to some self reflection and character development for Ash.

Maybe Ash would have more of a rivalry with him, feeling insecure that Go caught a legendary Pokémon so easily while he never gets respect from anyone unless he works really hard or risks his life. Go is probably the most privileged character while OS Ash is often the underdog. If Go solved the conflict of the episode every week by catching the Pokémon OS Ash might feel like he is in his shadow.

On the other hand Go caught Suicune without cheating which is something OS Ash is often guilty of. Maybe that could lead to some self reflection and character development for Ash.
How is OS Ash guilty of cheating when catching Pokémon? He caught Caterpie by throwing a ball at it, caught Pidgeotto by weakening it, caught Bulbasaur by beating it in battle, caught Charmander and Squirtle by gaining their trust, caught Krabby by distracting it, caught Primeape and Muk by beating them in battle, and caught Tauros in the Safari Zone.

Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom