• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you think the XY series' first opening and ending will be like?

Gabo2oo

Reaction score
Each time a new anime series comes out, there is one thing that needs to prominently stand out, and that is the first opening to it. The first opening to a series has to convey a message about how the expecting new beginning will be like, and it needs to have an animation that presents us to new characters properly. Something similar goes to the ending theme as well.

Would you rather prefer to have Rica Matsumoto as the lead singer again or a different person? Any musical gender idea? Do you believe we will have sequence updates when new characters are introduced or we will have everything revealed at once? Would another idol group song fit here as an ending, or you want something created specifically from and for Pokémon? Natural journey shots or more intense battling scenes? Discuss.

This is my first thread ever, so please correct me if I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Don't do a full CGI opening like Best Wishes did!

I'd love for Rica Matsumoto to sing the song. I'd like an opening that contrasts the experiences new trainers face (which hopefully Ash's companions will be) with the experiences Ash is having as an advanced trainer. Maybe the footage could show Ash running through Pallet Town with his previous companions following him, each lagging behind one by one in the order they left the show. Then once they're gone the scene fades to another location as Ash continues to run with lots of Kalos Pokémon in the background and Ash's new companions catch up to him. Then I'd love to see scenes of Ash training Pokémon and fighting big battles with other scenes of his companions figuring out how to activate Pokéballs and dexing stuff, maybe with Ash over their shoulder helping them out.

I'd love for the footage to be updated based on new captures and characters too.

I'm picturing Tierno, Shauna and Trevor here who strike me as very inexperienced newbies, so the footage is working great in my head lol.

It's going to be upbeat, have corny-motivating lyrics that somehow throw a few Pokémon references in and will probably be performed by either Rica Matsumoto, whoever is voicing the new lead female, both, or a JPop Artist/Idol who is having their 15 minutes of fame in October.

I would love if they'd use a male singer again, I really like the DA! opening song, it really feels different in a positive way. But they're probably going with a female singer again, I would be okay with that too though.

About the content of the opening... Would be cool if they would showcase a lot of the characters that are going to appear in the first segment of XY, I'd prefer if they don't show too much of what Pokémon are going to get caught though, but that's just me (normally I like spoilers of what is going to happen, but for now I feel it would be nice for once if they didn't do this, to keep surprises).

Last edited:
The English lyrics will obviously be

It's a new adventure, a brand new day
New friends to wash all your worries away

When trouble's around the bend
You can count on your friends until the very end!
When your back's against the wall
And you are standing tall
Just look at the horizon and believe
You and your friends can achieve your dreams
POKEMON!

POKEMON!

With footage of legendaries and serious plots on the visual side of course. :p

I love whenever Rica sings so I'm hoping for that. I really liked the footage in all the DP theme songs they all just seemed fitting and had everything so something like that!

I'd like it if they feature the gym leaders as shadowed silhouettes first, and then revealing them one by one as they appear in the episodes - like how Battle Frontier did with the Brains in the OP. It puts more tension on the show and indicates that the gym quest is going to be a major plot (even though in reality it wouldn't be like that XDD)

Maybe just something like Battle Frontier would be nice XDD

POKEMON!

Totally. It'll start with sideways Ash looking distant and the sun coming up behind him. Then the new characters will appear in some happy sequence, then it'll show them running down a hill with their new Pokemon coming up behind them. We'll get some footage of the bad guys looking all badass, then the rival, then Ash and the rival standing opposite to eachother. It'll end with all the lead characters and the main Pokemon stationary in front of a PokeBall in space, then the series logo will come up while the singer shouts "POKEMON!"

POKEMON!

Totally. It'll start with sideways Ash looking distant and the sun coming up behind him. Then the new characters will appear in some happy sequence, then it'll show them running down a hill with their new Pokemon coming up behind them. We'll get some footage of the bad guys looking all badass, then the rival, then Ash and the rival standing opposite to eachother. It'll end with all the lead characters and the main Pokemon stationary in front of a PokeBall in space, then the series logo will come up while the singer shouts "POKEMON!"

All in 3D to show off how the new games are in 3D!

POKEMON!

All in 3D to show off how the new games are in 3D!
Possibly. Oh damn, I forgot Xerneas and Yveltal's dramatic appearances about half way through with Ash staring up at both of them while the screen slowly spins slightly.

I loved Advanced Adventure and Together, so I'd be fine if it weren't done by Rica. I just want bright flashy animation that shows off the new pokemon. I pray to God they don't try and recreate what they did for BW just because the games are coming out for a 3D system.

An upbeat song from Rica's vocal chords are always welcome to my ears. I was seldom disappointed by the song but the visuals....like almost everyone said, I repeat no CGI and more importantly...mislead us a bit....but don't give a Charizard versus Reshiram level misleading visuals. it's hard to bear things without these shenanigans itself....misleading OPs only lead to paragraphs and paragraphs of unwanted rant.

POKEMON!

The sad part is I'm expecting this...T_T.

I wished the opening had Ash sailing or already flying to Kelos with Pikachu. That way we can skip the non-relevant Kanto stuff. They give us a five minute flashback about how he found out about Kelos and who gave him what from clothes to pokedex so that time doesn't waist. Then he meets his rival coming from another region to Kelos after an embarrassing league loss. Something like that would be awesome. It's too bad such awesomeness might not exist.

As far as the ending goes, after Iris and Cilan departs he meets his mom and goes back to Kanto, dumps his pokemon off and lays on the bed thinking what he should do to improve his goal.

The opening will get a bunch of updates as time goes on since it'll be around for a long time (anywhere from 70-90 episodes)

I think it would be interesting if they added and edited new Pokemon and characters into the opening as the series goes on just like Pokemon DP and often times in Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal. I would figure that's probably annoying work for the producers though so I'm fine with a Rica Matsumoto opening that is not CGI.

If anything, hopefully not all CGI like the first two Best Wishes intros, because it just felt out of place with the rest of the series 2D animation (save for those cheesy CGI effects used for moves).

POKEMON!

Just reading those lyrics you wrote reminded me of this:
[video=youtube_share;ovcUgFxV_GQ]http://youtu.be/ovcUgFxV_GQ[/video]

Last edited:
I hope it's sung by a male singer this time around since I really love DA! opening song. In terms of animation, I definitely do NOT want another CGI opening, I hated that. I want something like 'Saikou Everyday', something full of epicness and glory and that will make me pumped for the new series.

I liked the BW CGI opening... :C

Animation-wise, it's going to be the same as the others. Ash running around, shots of his team, Rivals are shown, battles shown, etc. for the opening. For the ending, something like Ash, his companions, and their Pokemon playing around, hanging out, being buds. Song-wise: I won't mind at all if Rica get's the first theme. Not much if while some throw-away AKB48-like group gets the ending.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom