• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How do you usually construct your in-game teams?

I just pick Pokémon that I like, and make sure the types are varied.

I usually pick Pokemon that can be caught early that have strong evolved forms or strategies when the late game comes so I don't have to go back and grind when I catch something mid game. Pokemon like Geodude, Heracross, Ralts, Starly and Tympole often find their way into my ingame roster. Of course I do my best to balance types for the Gyms and E4.

I build my in-game team around the starter I've picked (if my starter is a fire type, I take other types to support it etc). And there must be at least one of my favourites or if not available, a Pokemon I prefer using a lot. I aim to use mostly those Pokemon of the same region, but I make expections to that one sometimes. Also, as I like learning how to use different/new Pokemon, I'll also take one or two Pokemon which I haven't previously used.

The only thing that has prevented me doing this more efficiently has been the necessary slot for a HM slave. :/ Luckily you didn't need them in 5th gen and X/Y, sucked when you needed one again in OR/AS.

I usually plan most of the Pokemon I'm going to use in advance, generally making sure I've got some decent type coverage and HM compatibility. But I also make sure to try a few Pokemon each time that I haven't used before on a whim, so my teams sort of end up being 4-5 planned choices with 1-2 "wild-card" slots.

- I usually diversify my type as much as I can, just like the others do, and I try to do this as early as possible.
- I always keep my starter as part of my main rotation
- For Black 1+2, I usually end up with at least 18 Pokémon on my rotation, which includes legendaries. For Y, it ended up to be 24.
- I haven't used legendaries in Y - except for Yveltal against Lysandre. I used Cobalion and Reshiram in Black 1, and I plan to use all three Musketeers and all three Kamis in Black 2.
- I almost always nickname my Pokémon, unless if they are Legendaries.
- Until Black 1, I avoided Bug-types like a plague, but now, Venipede is the Bug-type that I use.
- While I don't do Smogon, I sometimes look up the website to choose my Pokemon.

Last edited:
Usually my team is made up mostly of the starter type. Then I have HM/ TM travelling Pokemon.

Regarding ORAS, I pick one Pokemon (i.e. the starter) and build my team around it. During my first playthrough of the game I choose Pokemon that debuted in the third gen or are related to Pokemon from gen 3 (e.g. Wobbuffet, Froslass, Dusknoir, etc.). To make the teams a bit more distinguished I don't use the same species between them. And I also try not to have more than one Pokemon that share a type. As far as weaknesses are concerned, I limit myself to use at most 3 Pokemon that share a weakness and make sure I have an attack or other Pokemon that can counter that weakness.

I follow similar guidelines in other games.

The Hoenn Starter, either Swellow or Pelipper for Fly, a water type for Surf, Waterfall and Dive and Linoone for Cut, Strength and Rock Smash.

my starter, minun and pulse, dialga, arceus, and my last spot is open to any poke I want to put there (lucario is my most recent poke in this spot) most of the time I use my last spot for event pokes

I usually get my favorites, or strong ones. But then I decided to create my team based on how Red's in HGSS, will some tweaks.

Based on that, I used all starters of the region, a Dragon type, one that can learn fly, and an Eeveelution. I stopped doing that a bit, but...yeah...

--Water-type, so I can use HM03
--Flying-type, so I can use HM02
--Whichever starter I like the most
--One Pokémon that can Mega Evolve (it usually is Gardevoir, because that's one of my favorite Mega Evolutions)
--Filler Pokémon that compliment my starter

Whatever i like, usually two water to use one for HM, and just from there whatever

I generally start with the Starter Pokemon (Generally the Grass one), and focus on capturing Pokemon in the early part of the game with good evolutions that stay good for a while, not always focusing on the Gen at hand. Gardevoir, Gyarados, Aegislash, Aggron, Manetric, etc.

I prefer to have a full team before the halfway point when possible.

For ORAS I wanted to fill a few criteria:
-a new Mega Evolution
-a new addition to the Hoenn dex
-and a Pokemon I used in Ruby since that was the first Pokemon game I truly owned

Along with those I also follow some rules I always set for myself such as no Legendaries, using things I've never used before, using Pokemon not seen in game (as in no trainer has it or not a wild encounter), and using Pokemon introduce in this generation. Of course that latter one didn't apply because none of the Gen VI dudes were in ORAS until late in game when you already have a good team built. I also sometimes have a rule where I don't use Pokemon important characters have but I decided to forgo it this time since I share some of my Ruby OGs with them.

With all that in mind my ORAS team ended up as:
-Swampert: Ruby OG, starter, new Mega
-Roserade: never used before, new addition to Hoenn dex
-Mawile: never used before
-Exploud: never used before, not seen in game
-Camerupt: Ruby OG, new Mega later on
-Skarmory: Ruby OG

Looking back at all the Pokemon I took on my journey I used more Kalos Megas (Mawile, Gardevior, Medicham, Aggron) than I did Hoenn Megas (Swampert, Camerupt later on). Not too happy that my only new Mega for the main story was my starter.

I typically pick Pokemon I like and Pokemon I'm willing to use out of what's available to me soon enough. I also try to keep the team as balanced as possible for coverage and all. I also, of course, have to get a Pokemon that can use Fly and one that can use Surf. My team wasn't that balanced in X, though, I just loved Kalos's Fire types so much I had to use them all. XD (Delphox, Pyroar, and Talonflame)

I also try not to repeat many of the same team members in multiple games though. The only exception is if I just really really like a Pokemon, such as Lopunny. I always used one on my in-game team if I could catch a Buneary during the main story (meaning DPPt and Black 2).

I do one of two things: Early on Pokémon that catch my eye (and usually using a variety of types for coverage) or using Gift/Mandatory/Special Pokémon (for example, my Platinum team is my Starter Piplup, Eterna Togepi, Hearthome Eevee, Spiritomb, Iron Island Lucario and Giratina). But once I have my first six, I never rotate for storyline or battles. Sometimes I'll rotate post-game, but only for HM slaves. I never plan out my team beforehand except my starter.

However, recently I decided to replay R/S/E, LG and Diamond because I want a team that originates from every Main Series game, and I sat down and actually put a lot of serious thought into having teams with some variety and Pokémon I've never used before (as I have three Blastoise from my FR, X and Y playthroughs and a pair of Raticate and a trio of Pidgeot. So I tend to stick to favorites LOL)

Last edited:
I always try to make a well balanced team. I rarely judge on a Pokémon's power, which usually leads to my teams being crappy competitively. I've always remained the person that says "This Pokémon looks cool" or "This Pokémon has a cool move."

For most games I used to always pre plan my team and just stick to it but considering how much fun catching Pokemon is on ORAS thanks to the Dexnav, I've going back to catching them as I go along.

I admit I may add more than one starter to my team (thanks Pokemon Bank), but the majority of my team is made up of random Pokemon I catch as I go along.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom