• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP How faithful do you think these remakes will be?

Phosphene

Formerly SpinyShell
Reaction score
Ani387OD.png
Ani390OD.png
Ani393OD.png
I noticed that there's been some discussion in this section of the forums over how faithful these games will be, and I thought I'd make a dedicated thread considering this has been a recurrent topic in several threads. I know there's a thread for discussing possiblye new content, but I think the subject of faithfulness is a different-enough and common subject to deserve its own thread.

They went out of their way to assure fans that these games will be faithful so they seem pretty darn serious about it. I expect original D/P Pokedex, maybe some new Dynamax forms for certain Pokemon especially the cover mascots, and any other major new things will probably be saved for the post-game. Also I personally think that we're only getting the first 493 Pokemon in these games. Maybe some DLC will come out later that'll include Pokemon from Gen 5 and up but I'm not holding my breath lol.

Still don't know why people honestly think that Mega Evolution will come back. Like what does it have to do with Sinnoh and why would they bring it back there when it isn't even relevant in ShSw (aka the main games of this generation).

They went out of their way to assure fans that these games will be faithful so they seem pretty darn serious about it. I expect original D/P Pokedex, maybe some new Dynamax forms for certain Pokemon especially the cover mascots, and any other major new things will probably be saved for the post-game. Also I personally think that we're only getting the first 493 Pokemon in these games. Maybe some DLC will come out later that'll include Pokemon from Gen 5 and up but I'm not holding my breath lol.

Still don't know why people honestly think that Mega Evolution will come back. Like what does it have to do with Sinnoh and why would they bring it back there when it isn't even relevant in ShSw (aka the main games of this generation).
It's been everywhere except Sword and Shield since it's introduction. Even LGPE had them, and GO is set to add them. Plus, out of all the generational gimmicks, Mega Evolution is the least tied down to a specific region.

If you can imagine FRLG with only one Sevii Island where the Rocket stuff takes place, that’s how much I’d expect.

The characters aren’t being redesigned, they’re probably not going to throw the regional Pokédex out the window after the climax, and I don’t expect any big new features like Soaring or the Pokéathlon, nor any significant new areas. The Game Corner will be non-functional, but all of the other features that were in the originals will still be here. Underground, Secret Bases, Pokétch (reworked a bit), Super Contests, Ball Seals, Honey Trees, Poké Radar (reworked a bit)... all that’s staying.

Fortunately, Sinnoh has a lot going for it already, so a heap of new stuff is, in my opinion, not especially needed. The Pokédex is the only big concern, but as I’ve said in other threads, I think we’ll at least get the Platinum Dex, if not the “original 493” altogether.

As far as changes that aren’t technical/QoL updates go, I’m guessing Giratina gets a post-game story and we can catch some/all of the Gen 4 Mythicals. That’d be a nice incentive to convince a few people who might be on the fence to pick up the game.

Like what does it have to do with Sinnoh

What does it have to do with Kanto? Nothing, but that didn’t keep it out of LGPE. It’s a popular feature that can be splashed into any setting with relatively little trouble.

and why would they bring it back there when it isn't even relevant in ShSw (aka the main games of this generation).

Personally I’m not expecting these games to have Dynamax - the player characters aren’t wearing Dynamax Bands in their artwork, and frankly it would be all wrong for a game with a chibi style. So if Dynamax isn’t here, then these probably aren’t going to be the competitive host games, and would be free to do something else

If you can imagine FRLG with only one Sevii Island where the Rocket stuff takes place, that’s how much I’d expect.

The characters aren’t being redesigned, they’re probably not going to throw the regional Pokédex out the window after the climax, and I don’t expect any big new features like Soaring or the Pokéathlon, nor any significant new areas. The Game Corner will be non-functional, but all of the other features that were in the originals will still be here. Underground, Secret Bases, Pokétch (reworked a bit), Super Contests, Ball Seals, Honey Trees, Poké Radar (reworked a bit)... all that’s staying.

Fortunately, Sinnoh has a lot going for it already, so a heap of new stuff is, in my opinion, not especially needed. The Pokédex is the only big concern, but as I’ve said in other threads, I think we’ll at least get the Platinum Dex, if not the “original 493” altogether.

As far as changes that aren’t technical/QoL updates go, I’m guessing Giratina gets a post-game story and we can catch some/all of the Gen 4 Mythicals. That’d be a nice incentive to convince a few people who might be on the fence to pick up the game.

What does it have to do with Kanto? Nothing, but that didn’t keep it out of LGPE. It’s a popular feature that can be splashed into any setting with relatively little trouble.

Personally I’m not expecting these games to have Dynamax - the player characters aren’t wearing Dynamax Bands in their artwork, and frankly it would be all wrong for a game with a chibi style. So if Dynamax isn’t here, then these probably aren’t going to be the competitive host games, and would be free to do something else
It's going to have to be, because it appears that Legends Arceus lacks any online play altogether.

I'm expecting it to be more faithful in terms of FRLG too. But considering they said their bringing in QoL updates from the newer games, everything but the story, look, and feel of the game won't be that "faithful". Like I already said, we already see Platinum NPCs and Pokemon in the trailer.

In terms of timeline, I like to think the Delta Episode ended the remake timeline. BDSP is probably the start of a new parallel remake timeline that only has minor changes but everything looks the same. Kind of like a definitive version/mix of all three games.

I don't expect the original DP Pokedex to be used because of how much the fans hated it.
Uh, I think you got the wrong way of thinking about it. It's not the pokemon in the Sinnoh pokedex that's the issue but the amount.

A quick check on Serebii shows the D/P dex to be 151, and the Platinum dex to be 210.

Hopefully the pokedex here will be at least 210.

It's going to have to be, because it appears that Legends Arceus lacks any online play altogether.
This isn’t really confirmed.
Uh, I think you got the wrong way of thinking about it. It's not the pokemon in the Sinnoh pokedex that's the issue but the amount.

A quick check on Serebii shows the D/P dex to be 151, and the Platinum dex to be 210.

Hopefully the pokedex here will be at least 210.
It’s both. People often complain about the lack of Fire and Dragon-type options.

I mentioned this in the Legends threads but I seriously hope they do not force you to see every single pokemon in the regional dex as a requirement to getting some upgrades. Anything even remotely similar to that - please no.

Evolution is a huge part of Sinnoh's theme, since there's a ton of cross gen evos and Prof. Rowan studies it. Since Mega Evolution is a form of evolution, it would fit Sinnoh.

Agreed. I'm not as bothered about it being a faithful remake because Sinnoh was already great to begin with, as long as they don't cut too much it'll still be good.

It’s both. People often complain about the lack of Fire and Dragon-type options.
I wasn't disputing it was both, I was disputing how you bring up the argument.

Granted they already said this will be "faithful remakes," and if I now said to you there's no way they will use the Sinnoh dex, what does that imply I mean? That they will use the Hoenn dex? If I meant they will just expand on the D/P pokedex, I could clearly say they will expand on it, but since I said there's no way they will use the original Sinnoh dex, what does that imply I mean?

Even though Riley said it, just pretend I said that instead.

I wasn't disputing it was both, I was disputing how you bring up the argument.

Granted they already said this will be "faithful remakes," and if I now said to you there's no way they will use the Sinnoh dex, what does that imply I mean? That they will use the Hoenn dex? If I meant they will just expand on the D/P pokedex, I could clearly say they will expand on it, but since I said there's no way they will use the original Sinnoh dex, what does that imply I mean?

Even though Riley said it, just pretend I said that instead.
Mmk I’m really not interested in playing patronizingly obtuse guessing games here, but I was referring to just the first two sentences of what you had said, not the bit about the Platinum Dex.

Mmk I’m really not interested in playing patronizingly obtuse guessing games here, but I was referring to just the first two sentences of what you had said, not the bit about the Platinum Dex.
I know I'm in the minority here, but I clearly believe between the 2 main theories:

-The 151 and 210 number are sacred, D/P remakes must keep the 151/210 number so they'll remove pokemon from the old pokedex and replace them.
-Or simply keep all the old pokemon in the old dex and increase the 151/210 number.

Which ever ones I believe 1st, you guys can vote the opposite.

I personally think that if it has a gimmick it'll be Megas. Between the chibis and all else I've seen, I can't imagine Dyna- and Gigamax be in here.

Other than that, a Giratina post-game story is what I think, a usage of the Pt Pokédex and a non-functional Game Corner.

As far as Legendaries go, I assume Darkrai is going to be an in-game event now once you reach Canalave City (Perhaps they can give Cresselia a proper role now too), and the same goes for Shaymin because of the Gracidea Flower Girl's presence. (Even though I don't think Shaymin will have much of a 'story/event').

Other Pt stuff like Ball Seals I can see return too. DPPt already has quite a lot of stuff so I don't think there's that much need to put in a lot of new stuff. Don't reinvent the wheel if there's no need.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom