• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How fast do you plan on beating XY?

Just for the record, can someone clarify what "taking my time" actually means? Does it mean walking into a new route, putting the 3DS on a table, taking a seat and staring at the screen for two hours? I just don't get it.

For me, it means not rapidly pressing the A button to skip through dialogue and trying to catch as many Pokemon in an area as possible, as well as battling all the trainers. Basically, seeing and doing everything there is to see and do in a place.

Seeing as I'll be playing it a lot, I still expect to finish it within a week, but that'll be more due to the hours put in rather than going through it fast.

It depends on how big the region is. The longest it has ever taken me to beat a Pokemon game was around a week and a half or so, and that was HG/SS and that was me playing through as many hours as I can. @_@;; I imagine that, assuming that Kalos won't be as huge or anything, and I spend a lot of time without losing motivation, that I could beat the game giving a few days to a week or something.

I think speed refers more to how much time you're willing to put into the game right during release. I'm sure there is considerable variation depending on how much people grind, but I think a lot of people will beat the E4 with similar time on the game clock. It's just some people will be able to do that in 2 or 3 days, while others will take a week or two for it.

I've got work the Saturday, Sunday, and Monday after the games come out so I'll only be playing the games at night, but even then I probably will be spending like 5 or 6 hours a night from about 8pm-2am right when I get home from work. If I weren't working that weekend I'd definitely be able to finish in about 2 days just because I'd be able to put in like 15+ hours to the game. It's not that I'm getting to the E4 quicker than other people, I'd just be spending more time playing in a shorter period of time.

I've always played my Pokemon games (or any game) over a period of time. I don't enjoy finishing games in about 2 days as it seems to take out the fun of it and doesn't really feel like a adventure. I'll be playing as much as I feel like each day.

Just for the record, can someone clarify what "taking my time" actually means? Does it mean walking into a new route, putting the 3DS on a table, taking a seat and staring at the screen for two hours? I just don't get it.
No one does that.

It means exactly what it says. Not trying to complete the story as fast as possible. Probably doing a majority of the side quests and such.

doing side quests, trying to catch as much as possible for the pokedex, hunting for easter eggs, hidden items/areas/pokemon.... theres typically a lot of 'extra' stuff you can miss if you dont talk to people or investigate odd (often dead end) areas on a route.

I'd imagine pretty quickly, which kind of depresses me. I hate rushing through games, but the anxiety to learn about the story and world carries me away and I don't want to put the game down. Knowing that I'll inevitably restart the game without keeping any former pokemon (most likely) also makes me want to get straight into second or third playthrough, when I can start breeding and settling in a competitive team. Heck, I got through half of Black the afternoon the game came in the mail. Hopefully, Kalos will be a little more expansive.

I'll plow through the main story, so I can then dedicate the rest of my time to exploring the new region.

About 10 hours, which is usual for me (~1 hour a badge, 1 hour for villainous plot culmination, 1 hour for the League). I've no intention of taking my time, because a) I really want to get to the as-yet unknown Battle Tower equivalent, which is usually post-game, b) I'm generally just interested in the still unknown post-game, c) only Honedge/Doublade and Inkay/Malamar really interest me thus far Pokémon-wise, so my party will likely be a small one, and d) the Dream World will reopen and I have some catching up to do before total closure in December.

I'm not gonna rush, that's for sure. I like to take my time, explore, and do things slowly, even if I end up getting left in the dust by other players. I don't believe in speed runs and such, as I feel it removes the fun factor of the games. Even if the story is spoiled because of other players and/or internet postings, I still plan to take it slow. I want to enjoy the game, not rush through it. Even if you know how it ends, I still feel taking it slow is better than charging through it, possibly missing some fun stuff in the process.

So, for me, slow and steady wins my race.

Couple weeks I would assume, even if I played a few hours each day as I train six guys at all times. Well not all as you need to get the six first aha.

I'd imagine pretty quickly, which kind of depresses me. I hate rushing through games, but the anxiety to learn about the story and world carries me away and I don't want to put the game down.

This right here. I always fly right by games because I'm always so sucked into the plot that I rush and never savor it. Sigh....

I don't plan on rushing through, but neither do I intend on taking my sweet time with the games either. I have a tendency to rush, though, so I can see that happening regardless of any plans I have. I guess I'll just take it as it comes, but I won't be dilly-dallying, that's for sure.

Whatever speed I feel like going at the moment. If I get sucked into the story... I get sucked in and can't get out. D: (happened when I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire... xD)

But I'm not gonna look through the internet on the story or how to do certain things; totally killed it for me in BW/B2W2. D:

I'm not sure really, but I'd like to take my time on it without taking too long to finish it, so maybe a few weeks. But I have a tendency to procrastinate even in games, especially when I'm in the middle of training my pokemon. So, maybe if I can get through it within a couple weekends, that'd be good.

I'm not a speed-player. I talk to every NPC, I agonize over who to put (or keep) in my party, and I don't leave an area until I've found every Pokemon. So, even though I'll be holed up as soon as I get back from whatever store will get me the game at midnight, I'll still probably take a week to get Champion status. Beyond that? Depends on how engaging the game is in actuality.

It depends, since I plan on going into the game blind like I did with Black 2, so I won't know where everything will be.

See, when B2 came out, I didn't have a lot of time to play it because of outside obligations, but I felt pressured to beat it quickly so I could keep up with the rest of the internet/fandom (who spoiled the whole plot for me anyway). As a result, I didn't really get to savor the game and experience its idiosyncrasies because I was rushing, which dampened a lot of the fun and made the game less enjoyable. While I'm definitely going to beat Y relatively quickly (a few weeks, at most), just because of my natural obsessive tendencies, I'm determined to go into it with the mindset that this a game, not an obligation or responsibility. I don't want to feel pressure over something designed to be fun and and escapist.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom