• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How hard is it for you to come up with a team?

I typically go with Pokemon I'm already used to and fond of, unless I'm playing through a new game for the first time, in which case I just choose a vaguely balanced team of Pokemon in the game that I like.
Otherwise, I usually pick one or two Pokemon I like to base my team around, usually a starter, and then I try to create a balanced team around that. It's pretty effective, unless I'm playing any game that requires HMs. It's surprisingly hard to make a balanced team that I like that can also use all the HM moves I need.

In-game I try to avoid using pokemon I've used before while also having a balanced team, so sometimes building a team can be hard but it's usually fine. Although, I tend to get attached to the pokemon I catch early on and they end up staying on the team the whole time, even if I find something cool later. :X3:

I don't play competitively often, but when I do I try using pokemon I like that are also kind of strong. I have a team of all dark-types in gen 6 that I just kind of mess around with because it's my favorite type.

Having played for so long, I tend to overthink and over-analyze my team selection, especially when I come across a new 'mon that I want to fit onto my team. I too often end up with a massive selection headache and nothing to show for it because I really, really want to use Metagross but that means swapping out Magnezone or being weak to ground and fire but then if I swap out Magnezone I lose my volt switch and now I'm weak to water so do I use a fat grass but I don't have any good fat grasses ugh okay so I guess I'll use Starmie with boltbeam but now I'm stacking weaknesses to dark do I really need to use Metagross? But I waaaant to...

Some playthroughs are worse than others depending on the available 'mons and who I pick as my starter, because I can't just box my starter like that.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom