• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How intelligent are pokemon?

Brock: Hard to believe something so cute could be such a brute.
Wigglytuff: BRUTE?!?! *beats the shit out of Brock*

...and yes, I know I'm not the only one who heard the Wigglytuff actually say it.

Hrm. Best example of the annoying anime's tendency to humanize pokémon, more like :p

How do you know all pokemon are meant to act like animals in the first place :p

Spirits can be quite intelligent, and I think that's what pokemon are supposed to be - spirits.

I've always had the impression they were meant to be animals from the game. Certainly in the game world they fill the roles of animals (miltank for one example), and the behavior described in the pokédex seems to be those of animals.

But pikachu at least seemed quite intelligent in the Special, which Tajiri-sama said was the closest to how he thought the pokemon world should work.

I've always had the impression they were meant to be animals from the game. Certainly in the game world they fill the roles of animals (miltank for one example), and the behavior described in the pokédex seems to be those of animals.

Most of them are animals, but quite a bit are similar to or directly based on yokai/nature spirits and demons. And of course, the Legendaries all obviously correspond with gods, so . . .

Yeah, the legendaries and SOME of the high-power ones are obviously quite intelligent.

As for the rank and file...as I said, I can buy SLIGHTLY more intelligent, but Island of the Giant Pokémon or really ANY of the translation Meowth does (and Meowth being able to talk, while I'm at it) is WAY over the top. Even if a pokémon (Meowth) was intelligent enough to speak (which is questionable), it's almost certain that their body wouldn't allow it from them.

Damian Silverblade said:
Certainly in the game world they fill the roles of animals (miltank for one example), and the behavior described in the pokédex seems to be those of animals.

But a cow isn't going to try to Hyper Beam me if I try to turn it into hamburger.Not to mention I'd have a problem eating something that intelligent.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
That doesn't mean EVERYTHING would be spot-on.
But it does mean that it's the most reliable source of information we have as to what the pokemon world is "actually" like.

Nomekop Oen said:
But a cow isn't going to try to Hyper Beam me if I try to turn it into hamburger.Not to mention I'd have a problem eating something that intelligent.

Ahem. May I remind you of the incident whereby the Ameglian Major Cow quite clearly iterated that it wanted to be eaten?

Damian Silverblade said:
Hrm. Best example of the annoying anime's tendency to humanize pokémon, more like :p

Well it's not something that happens in the anime every now and then,the concept of communication between Trainer and Pokemon has been consistent throughout the series.Just look at Morty and his Gengar.

Zhen Lin said:
Ahem. May I remind you of the incident whereby the Ameglian Major Cow quite clearly iterated that it wanted to be eaten?

Ok.....

You're point being? Oo;

I think he's suggesting that even sentient Pokemon might not mind being eaten. XD

Well, yeah...but I don't think it's suicidal, which is what I was getting at. =P

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom