• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How intelligent are pokemon?

Roses Ablaze

Reaction score
Most mediums seem to portray that pokemon can understand human speech and reason at least on some level, so I personally think that most pokemon are a lot smarter than ordinary animals, maybe even as smart as humans. Maybe not all of them are as smart as humans, but it's been stated that Dragonite at least is at that level. I also think that it's possible that some pokemon may even have societies of their own (ie Clefairy), but most have chosen to live a simpler life by nature (as is often the way of spirit-like things).

The Psychic Types clearly are just as intelligent as, if not more intelligent than, most humans. Mammals show degrees of intelligence in our world (dolphins, dogs, horses, etc). If the Pokémon have supernatural abilities to manipulate and control various elements such as air, water, fire, and ice, then it stands to reason that their mental faculties would be higher than those of normal animals.

I think they are smart but WAY too sensitive, seriously I never seen so many crybaby pokemon in my life XD

What do we mean by intelligent?

Certainly, they are able to recognize simple verbal commands (Attack names) - somethign that can be done (with dogs). They also seem to be highly empathic, that is, to be able to comfort their trainer when he is distressed. That is not PARTICULARLY exceptional; I've seen much the same from several cats.

I'd say that with some clear exceptions (psychics, dragons), they are mostly animal in terms of basic intelligence, but particularly apt to being taught tricks.

Some know more than attack names. Meowth knows how to talk like a human and I think I saw him drive once (someone confirm that, I'm not sure if I'm right or not). And Pikachu knows charades. :p

Yeah, but there's evidence that both of them are "special" pokémon; above and apart from others of their kind. I don't think TR-Meowth and Ash's rat can be taken as evidence of anything for their overall species.

I've seen pokemon recognize speech that's a lot more complicated than a simple attack name (espeically Ash's pikachu). The Red Gyarados, which I don't think is supposed to be particularly intelligent, seemed able to understand what Ash was saying at some point.

Oh dear! He called Pikachu Ash's rat! The blasphemy! *shock*

^_~;

I believe most pokémon are above the average intelligence of Earth's most intelligent animals: ie dogs and dolphins. Some Pokémon especially, like Alakazam, Mewtwo, the Legendaries have almost human intelligence, if not more than us humans.

Wasn't it Alakazam that the Pokedex says has an IQ of 1000? Or something like that.

Damian Silverblade said:
Yeah, but there's evidence that both of them are "special" pokémon; above and apart from others of their kind. I don't think TR-Meowth and Ash's rat can be taken as evidence of anything for their overall species.

I disagree about Meowth being "special." Remember that he interacted with that wild group of Meowth and the Persian leader as a peer. Also, when he translates the speech of other Pokémon, the result tends to be a lot more complex than that of any animal. Don't forget that Pokémon have their own language. Yes, many animals do to an extent, but those calls certainly do not involve any higher-level cognitive skill (i.e. they have calls for "danger" or "food," but nothing more complex).

Pokémon language is conveyed in more media that speech - or at least not just simple syllables - there are so few available to each species. And still each species is universally understood. Perhaps there are some chemical language (pheromones etc.) involved. Body language certainly. (Reminds me of a joke about the Japanese language: "The people of Sony and Nissan and Toyota did not get where they are today by wafting incense back and forth. The Japanese people speak and write to each other as other literate peoples do." Here, it's the complete opposite.)

Hmm. Perhaps that's one way to distinguish Pokémon from non-Pokémon -- if a species can understand all given Pokémon languages, then it is a Pokémon.

Another measure of alien intelligence is the mirror test. I don't think any Pokémon could possibly fail the mirror test - i.e. not even recognise themselves.

Maybe they measure IQs differently or give different (and higher) scores than we do.

Zhen Lin said:
Another measure of alien intelligence is the mirror test. I don't think any Pokémon could possibly fail the mirror test - i.e. not even recognise themselves.
If I remember correctly, Noctowl didn't do too well....

Actually, it's 5000. Which I don't think is actually valid. Then again, how would you measure it?

Here's how:

Psychologist: *Monotone* "Alakazam have an IQ of 5,000! And they smell nice! And they are our Gods! ALL GLORY TO THE ALAKAZAM!"

Alakazam: *laughter*

What do we mean by intelligent?

Certainly, they are able to recognize simple verbal commands (Attack names) - somethign that can be done (with dogs). They also seem to be highly empathic, that is, to be able to comfort their trainer when he is distressed. That is not PARTICULARLY exceptional; I've seen much the same from several cats.

I'd say that with some clear exceptions (psychics, dragons), they are mostly animal in terms of basic intelligence, but particularly apt to being taught tricks.

Meowth has been able to translate lots of complex Pokemon speech and emotion that would seem to indicate that most Pokemon have the intelligence of at least a small child . . . they CAN grasp ideas such as "self" "desires", "ambition" and such. Which is far beyond the basic intelligence of an animal.

Heck, just look at the "Island of the Giant Pokemon". Pokemon are able to do a lot, mentally.

Belldandy said:
Maybe they measure IQs differently or give different (and higher) scores than we do.

Technically, the IQ score is unbounded.

Assume a mean average of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. Then people scoring 115 are 1 standard deviation above the mean, i.e. they scored higher than 84% of the population. 130 is 2 standard deviations - higher than 97.7% of the population. 145 is 3 standard deviations - higher than 99.8% of the population. And so on - 5,000 would be 326.67 or so standard deviations above the mean. To realistically score 5,000, you'd need a lot of people (or, perhaps, Pokémon) to compare it against - perhaps trillions or quadrillions - I'm not too sure of the math needed to calculate the percentile here.

Pokemon Episode 1

Delia : "But,it's a little weird..." - referring to Pikachu

*Pikachu shocks the hell out of everybody*

Pokemon Episode 279

Max : "What? A Torchic? I would've picked a Treecko..."

*Torchic pecks the hell out of Max*

Most Pokemon are intelligent and understand human speech.

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom