• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

How is Pocket Monsters?

Super Nerd
Reaction score
Every Pokemon manga that isn't Special is good.
What.

Special isn't that amazing. The only reason people like it is thus:

1) Tajiri-san says he likes it.
2) It becomes popular because he said so.
3) It keeps its popularity because 'everyone' in the fandom seems to like it.
4) It starts to go downhill and become shameless promotion like the anime, but people ignore this.

All of the manga are good. Reading Pocket Monsters makes you feel like someone spiked your morning coffee/milk/tea, but in a funny sort of way.

空前絶後
Reaction score
What.

Special isn't that amazing. The only reason people like it is thus:

1) Tajiri-san says he likes it.
2) It becomes popular because he said so.
3) It keeps its popularity because 'everyone' in the fandom seems to like it.
4) It starts to go downhill and become shameless promotion like the anime, but people ignore this.

All of the manga are good. Reading Pocket Monsters makes you feel like someone spiked your morning coffee/milk/tea, but in a funny sort of way.
Are you blind?

First of all, I saud every manga that isn't Special is GOOD. Never once said that they're bad(or logically that Special is bad either. Well, RBGY-GSC anyway, the rest is meh.)

Second of all, I don't give a rat's ass if Satoshi Tajiri likes it or not. I like it, and that's all that matters.

Third of all, Special is probably popular because of it's availability, characterizations, art, concepts, and originality from the games. It's also a long running series so it attracts more fans.

Boring person
Reaction score
Second of all, I don't give a rat's ass if Satoshi Tajiri likes it or not.
it's interesting to note (someone else brought this up a while back) that that Tajiri quote is from like 10 years ago... aka it was probs based on the RGB chapter. so for all we know he thinks it's taken a turn for the worse too :p

also you do make a good point for the availability of Adventures. Adventures is one of the few mangas currently available in both VIZ Media and Chuang Yi territory, also, it used to be available scanned online pretty readily until a couple months ago.

空前絶後
Reaction score
Not to mention that Serebii, one of the biggest fansites on the web since the beginning, only covered/covers Special.

Reaction score
Special is popular because it is highly available, a long runner, and because it feels like popular shonen manga.

Anyway, this isn't another "Why don't the other manga get any luv!?" thread.

Reaction score
been really wanting to get my hands on it. but gave up, so yeah i will never be able to read them :(