• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How large do you think this game will be?

I've never been great at math; but here's my extrapolation logic:

We can see that the new map is divided up by dotted lines to separate areas. This was also done in the DLC maps for Swsh. They're all different sizes, but so were Crown Tundra's. If we make the assumption that, on average, the size of these sections are the same; then if we count the number of sections for each map, we find that the Obsidian Fieldlands has about 3X the number of sections (which lines up with other estimates I've seen). I personally have a feeling that the sections will be larger, but not so much larger that it will affect the overall final estimate too much.

Now here's the fun part of the extrapolation. According to this post from reddit: r/pokemon - Extrapolating the size of the Wild Area, and a comparison to the size of Breath of the Wild's overworld (the only source I can find comparing the size of the Wild Area to another game);

The Wild Area is ~2% the size of the Botw Map. If Obsidian Fieldlands is ~3X the size of that, then that's roughly 6%. Then, there are four other sections of the map and if those are also roughly the same size; we can expect the game to be roughly 30% the size of Botw. Which, from what I can tell, is about the size of the Genshin impact map at the time of this post:

(don't take this post too seriously. I put the bare minimum of effort into this)

my absolute bare minimum expectation is that this game should, at the very least, be larger than SwSh's wild areas combined. i'm unsure if this is lofty an expectation or not, but i expect Game Freak to have enough experience on their belt to build upon what they've learned with SwSh and do even better with L:A (a rather optimistic perspective? perhaps), which includes expanding the overall size of the areas we explore.

not gonna bother making comparisons to zelda games as i feel that's far too overdone, imo.

my absolute bare minimum expectation is that this game should, at the very least, be larger than SwSh's wild areas combined. i'm unsure if this is lofty an expectation or not, but i expect Game Freak to have enough experience on their belt to build upon what they've learned with SwSh and do even better with L:A (a rather optimistic perspective? perhaps), which includes expanding the overall size of the areas we explore.

not gonna bother making comparisons to zelda games as i feel that's far too overdone, imo.
I think each part of the region (except the village) will be about the size of the Crown Tundra but, clearly, open world, so it would feel like it's double in size. You can climb mountains, jump, so it's a real 3d map this time.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom