• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How likely are new Megas

I don't really see any new Megas being introduced in USUM. Z-Moves are most likely still going to be a major focus of the games, especially judging by the cut scene of the male trainer turning a Z-Crystal on his Z-Ring in the trailer. Plus they also have Alola Forms as a way to give new forms to older Pokemon and I feel like they'd go with that method before handing out more Megas.

I'm expecting them to focus on Z-Moves again this time.

Though it would be nice to get more Megas. Probably for the Alola starters.

the Mega entries in Sun and Moon.

I'm pretty sure that's only if the bond isn't really strong enough (which is never going to be the case in the games). Besides, most of the entries aren't even new, they were on the XY/ORAS websites.

I'd love for them to change the Mega mechanics for that, too. As in, to Mega Evolve, you need to do something more than just press a button, like having to defeat another Pokémon before transforming.

That isn't really a good idea. What about Pokemon like Mawile and Beedrill? They'd die before getting the chance to Mega Evolve.

I'd say there's probably at least an 85% chance that there won't be any new Megas until Gen 8 at the earliest.

And although I agree that introducing more unique Z-Moves would do nothing to make many terrible Pokémon viable competitively speaking, that does not stop Game Freak from pretending that they would. :p
Totally agree with you about the Z-moves. But I think it's 95% that we will not get new Mega ever again.

That isn't really a good idea. What about Pokemon like Mawile and Beedrill? They'd die before getting the chance to Mega Evolve.
Well, I don't mean ONLY that. That'd be one of the things that some of the Pokémon could do. Others could, for example, only Mega evolve during some kind of weather, or after using some specific move, or getting a bonus on stats.
Though, yeah, that is only happening on my head. I just wish that it wasn't as simple to Mega evolve than to press a button on the screen.

I doubt that that'll happen in USUM, but I too hope that they don't abandon Megas after only one generation. I definitely agree that in future generation they should focus more on Mega Evolution rather than than Z-Moves. Z-Moves aren't really going to hype people up as much in new generations like new Megas would.

So, my answer is this: not in Gen VII, but hopefully for future ones.

Now that I think about it, new Mega evolutions should be introduced later rather than soon, because by then we have more candidates to pick from. I do feel that, by keeping Mega evolutions to one per team, it makes future Megas a huge competition, because in addition to the six Pokemon limit, the Mega limits the Pokemon you can have even further. Of course, there's the fact that you need the appropriate Stone, which is itself a hassle especially if it's expensive like in Sun and Moon.

Thanks for reading.

I doubt that that'll happen in USUM, but I too hope that they don't abandon Megas after only one generation. I definitely agree that in future generation they should focus more on Mega Evolution rather than than Z-Moves. Z-Moves aren't really going to hype people up as much in new generations like new Megas would.

So, my answer is this: not in Gen VII, but hopefully for future ones.

I think Gen VIII will introduce its own gimmick.

I think they are possible. Masuda went back on his raising Iv's word and I really hope Gamefreak doesn't believe that the existence of z moves equates to perfect balance.

Keeping them to non debuts games makes sense.so they don't overshadow new Pokemon.

I don't know if they ever explicitly stated this, but all the evidence points to Game Freak feeling that Mega Evolution was a mistake from the start as it proved to be too over centralizing to the meta:
  • No new Megas introduced in SM
  • Mega Stones are banned from VGC
  • Only Alola Pokémon have their Mega Stones available from Battle Tree even after the Bank update
  • Rest of them are slowly being distributed via event
I think time will tell if Game Freak will pretend that Z-Moves are an adequate replacement and/or simply find some way to tie both phenomena together in USUM's story and be done with it.

Last edited:
Now that I think about it, new Mega evolutions should be introduced later rather than soon, because by then we have more candidates to pick from. I do feel that, by keeping Mega evolutions to one per team, it makes future Megas a huge competition, because in addition to the six Pokemon limit, the Mega limits the Pokemon you can have even further. Of course, there's the fact that you need the appropriate Stone, which is itself a hassle especially if it's expensive like in Sun and Moon.

Thanks for reading.

I understand your point, but there are so many possibilities for megas, that just make sense imo, like the other starters to make it fair, or split evolutions like Frosslass and Slowking. Also, they still have all pokemon from Gens 5+6 to choose from (with Audino and Diancie being the expectations), so I don't think they would have to wait, if they really wanted to make new megas.

I mean, I think it'll be a good time to introduce Pendulum.
I understood that reference!

if they really wanted a new island could apper with some new mega and z-stones stones beeing discovered through out of time.

Megas werent a mistake, but rather that they didn't planed well the methods to block their megaevolution or to take them better out.(maybe moves that power would depend on evolution stages of oponents pokemon)

On the other way they can try to create more and better pokemon with abilities and moves to handle them.

I think that more megas will come but later and in the future, now they try to focus on new pokes.

I think Gen VIII will introduce its own gimmick.

Please God no.

I've finally acclimated myself to Mega Evolutions and Z-moves. No more battling mechanics, please. Sure, add a few new Megas and new Z-moves, but God no please don't add yet another gimmick mechanic. In future games, don't even give them focus. Just discreetly give us a pack including all Z-Crystals and Mega Stones with a Bracelet thing and walk away with nothing more than a short explanation.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Mega Evolution was entirely removed from the games (though I have some personal favorites I would really miss). But I highly doubt that. They're fully integrated into Pokémon media already. They ain't going anywhere, probably. They'll just lock them out of VGC, continue including their data, and move on. And that's okay I guess. However, I do really like Z-moves and I hope they are permanent in some form.

Last edited:
They're going to release new megas eventually, whether it's in usum or in gen 8. Mega evolution is much more popular with fans than game freak anticipated. Masuda said in interviews that they thought fans might consider megas unfair because only certain pokemon get it whereas every pokemon gets z-moves, so they put them on the back-burner. However fans (especially in Japan) have been clamoring for megas to come back since, causing TPCI to release the unobtainable megastones for SM even though they had no intention to at first. There's no way game freak hasn't noticed that new mega evolutions is what the fans really want, and I'm sure that either in USUM or in the next gen the "glorious return of mega evolution" will be a big part of the marketing.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom