• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How long do you give it until Ash, Pikachu and Team Rocket returns?

Do you see Ash returning in the future?

• Yes, but only as appearances

Votes: 39 69.6%
  • Yes, he will return as the main protagonist

Votes: 6 10.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 4 7.1%

• Total voters

Johtoo

Reaction score
11 episode final arc. Ambiguous ending. It's obvious Ash's journey hasn't ended. The Pokemon Company have obviously set the grounds for a return if the new series doesn't work out, and they have done so because long running Japanese anime programs do not thrive without their central protagonists. I'm not saying Pokemon wouldn't, but at the same time, no one knows the future. And I don't buy the idea that Ash's journey is finished. That's why I suggest a lot of you to view this as a temporary situation, because while i'm not a psychic type, let's be honest. Ash is appearing again. The question isn't if, its "when". I mean, even Team Rocket didn't disband in the final episode. I have never seen a more obvious example of "we will temporary put you aside and see how this new thing goes" than Ash's supposedly final episode.

Oh, Ash/Team Rocket/other companions/villains will still journey on. We're just heading to the horizons to focus on different characters mainly. I want them to surprise us on their appearances, instead of spoiling them on some magazine(s) or hacked sources. I also want their returns to be meaningful instead of filler, but... HAH! Good luck with that, eh?

For now, they'll warm us up with the new, before sprinkling us with the old.

11 episode final arc. Ambiguous ending. It's obvious Ash's journey hasn't ended. The Pokemon Company have obviously set the grounds for a return if the new series doesn't work out, and they have done so because long running Japanese anime programs do not thrive without their central protagonists. I'm not saying Pokemon wouldn't, but at the same time, no one knows the future. And I don't buy the idea that Ash's journey is finished. That's why I suggest a lot of you to view this as a temporary situation, because while i'm not a psychic type, let's be honest. Ash is appearing again. The question isn't if, its "when". I mean, even Team Rocket didn't disband in the final episode. I have never seen a more obvious example of "we will temporary put you aside and see how this new thing goes" than Ash's supposedly final episode.
I would not be so quick to say that if I were you. Just because it is an open-ended finale does not mean that they think the new show and protagonists will fail. After all, is he not the anime version of Red? Red is the game avatar for us the players. Ash's time as the protagonist ending this way is the same as what happens to us the players: we set out on new adventures after each play through of the games.

I would not be so quick to say that if I were you. Just because it is an open-ended finale does not mean that they think the new show and protagonists will fail. After all, is he not the anime version of Red? Red is the game avatar for us the players. Ash's time as the protagonist ending this way is the same as what happens to us the players: we set out on new adventures after each play through of the games.
Normally, your point would be sound. But Ash's adventure has carried on far too long to simply be viewed as Red, whose journey ended match earlier than Ash's. Anyway, this is just merely my opinion. Everything that I saw from the last 11 episodes felt more like a celebration of Ash's journey, not a final chapter. You don't disband team rocket, then bring them back in the final episode, nor do you end Ash's journey by not ending it. That's not how you finish a character. Now, I don't know how long this hiatus will go for. Nor do I know that if Ash returns, what capacity would that be. But I haven't seen anything that convinced me that we won't see him or team rocket again.

For some reason I don't think we he will return. It just feels like they were done with him. There was so much they could have done with him in MPM but instead they made random fillers. I think they might have been tired of him.

If he does return, I would expect him to be the final opponent in a tournament or a league. Problem is that we might never get another badge quest or league if Liko doesn't battle.

Ash started in Kanto but if anything he's the anime version of all the male game protagonists until maybe Sw/Sh.

As for the return, I cannot put a firm number on it but I think within a few years he'll appear in some format (part of me wonders if someone will do a game that adapts part of the show in a bit, similar to how a Dragon Quest Dai game is coming out).

I said it before and I will say, with the way MPM was handled and the 'ending' of Episode 11 that was a total open ending that felt like a 'I will be back' vibe instead of a true goodbye, its clear to me Ash will come back. Although, not as a main character of the anime going forward. I see him coming back in movies or specials going forward. In fact, that is how I see the 'ending' of Ash. Not the ending of Ash as a whole, but rather his time as the main protagonist of the anime.

The Pokemon Company have obviously set the grounds for a return if the new series doesn't work out, and they have done so because long running Japanese anime programs do not thrive without their central protagonists.
Yugioh, Digimon, Pretty Series, Aikatsu, Pretty Cure, etc.

For some reason I don't think we he will return. It just feels like they were done with him. There was so much they could have done with him in MPM but instead they made random fillers. I think they might have been tired of him.
I'm not sure if random fillers meant that they were tired of Ash exactly. I don't think that they'd have so much fanfare for the MPM finale if they were just tired of Ash. Not to mention being tired of Ash after twenty five years would feel a bit strange to me. If that was the case, I'd assume that they would have replaced him a lot sooner.

If he does return, I would expect him to be the final opponent in a tournament or a league. Problem is that we might never get another badge quest or league if Liko doesn't battle.
Bringing Ash back as a final opponent wouldn't be the best idea. That would mean he'd either lose, which would probably just get fans upset due to both his World Champion title and how believable a new character defeating Ash could be, or he'd defeat the current lead, which might also be an issue for fans depending on the execution. While I could easily see Ash meeting Liko and Roy at some point, I feel like making Ash a challenger like that could easily backfire. Plus, I doubt that Liko is going to be doing Gyms or heading towards a Paldea League. I still don't think she'll have a battle active goal. The lack of information on her goal combined with the emphasis on her pendant just doesn't make me think that she'll be doing a badge quest. I'd love to be wrong for a few reasons, but I'm just not confident that they'll do something like that.

As for the question itself, I'm positive that they'll at least give Ash some appearances in the next series or maybe even some more specials. The open ended vibe of the MPM finale combined with Ash's status as an iconic protagonist makes me think that they'll bring him back to some extent at some point. I imagine that they'll want to focus on the new leads and give more time for the new status quo to be established, but maybe after they're more well established, Ash could run into Liko and Roy during their world travels. I don't think it would be impossible for Ash to become the main lead again. Perhaps that isn't likely to happen for a few reasons, but I don't think it would be impossible either.

I don't think main universe Ash will return as main character. I only think what could happen in Gen 10 is that AU Ash from ICY universe ( he appeared in 1 episode in Journeys) would appear as protagonist in Gen 10 only for 3 years and that's it( probably SoJ or PoU art style). Ash from OS-Journeys is IMO done being main character. But I do think main universe Ash would be MC in movies.
Unless they pull up Yokai Watch...

I could see them making a return appearance to interact with Liko and Roy around the time of the 30th anniversary. That way Liko and Roy have time to establish themselves before the past meets the present in a manner of speaking. Plus it would make for a good celebration of 30 years.
30th anniversary of anime or games? If it's anime, then nope since it's 2027.Based on that, Gen 10 will come and new protagonists will arrive. If you think Pokemon's in general. Then that would be 2026 which IMO it can happen since I believe Gen 10 will come in late 2026, which means this gen will be 4 years. 2006 is year when DP (Gen IV) came and 2016 is SM( Gen VII), So I think logically for 2026 it's gonna be Gen X new games.

But I think that'd be little late to interact. I think Ash will appear before that multiple times starting 2024.

30th anniversary of anime or games? If it's anime, then nope since it's 2027.Based on that, Gen 10 will come and new protagonists will arrive. If you think Pokemon's in general. Then that would be 2026 which IMO it can happen since I believe Gen 10 will come in late 2026, which means this gen will be 4 years. 2006 is year when DP (Gen IV) came and 2016 is SM( Gen VII), So I think logically for 2026 it's gonna be Gen X new games.

But I think that'd be little late to interact. I think Ash will appear before that multiple times starting 2024.
The thing is though, given how off script that they’ve gone at this point, we don’t even know how the series is gonna handle protagonists going forward. For all we know, they could go the Adventures route where characters e d up crossing over outside of their saga. Hell, the fact that this saga is starting so late, who knows how that will affect when this story does end. There’s numerous variables that are unknowns right now to write off the possibility.

The thing is though, given how off script that they’ve gone at this point, we don’t even know how the series is gonna handle protagonists going forward. For all we know, they could go the Adventures route where characters e d up crossing over outside of their saga. Hell, the fact that this saga is starting so late, who knows how that will affect when this story does end. There’s numerous variables that are unknowns right now to write off the possibility.
Well judging how Goh was handled and that Liko and Roy are seen bound to Gen 9 starters. I would say it's 85% confirmed that they're only for Gen 9 series. Plus there's a factor that series might've been bad views-wise so either they A) revert to Ash(AU) or make new characters for Gen 10.

He’ll probs be in cameos/references until he meets Liko/Roy for a bit. That’s a good way to celebrate 30th anniversary yeah

He will appear during sweeps every two to four years unless they are really really desperate he might cameo every year.

I could see Ash returning in movies, some specials, or a Chronicles-like series, but it's far less likely for him to return in the main animé. As stated above, it would be a needless distraction from Liko and Roy, and unless he turns out to be her long-lost father or some sort of other relative, something that is less than unlikely, it would likely be out of place for him to appear unless she decides to try to become either a Regional or World Champion Pokémon Trainer.

Ash appearing in any kind of reference or cameo would be fine, as long as it's near the end of the series. However, I won't watch if he becomes a main character again (including any au versions of him). He's been done since BW imo, it's time to let him go.

I'm probably dead wrong, but I always had the impression that Ash would have a cameo in the new season as early as the first episode, and maybe even before Liko and Roy appear.

What I want to say is that, just as we had the cameo of several protagonists of the games in the introduction of the movies, Ash would have a cameo right away in the introduction and explanation of the Pokémon World in this new anime.

One last tribute to the legendary character.

Other than that, I don't think Ash will appear in the series. After all, the show must go on.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom