• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How long do you think Pokémon 2019 will last?

How long do you think Pokémon 2019 will last?

• 46-48 episodes like most children's anime

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • till the next generation games like previous series

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • it will outlive the current generation like the original series

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters

marshiyanmisuta

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
It's the first time since the original series that we had a series not based on any games or generations. How long do you think it will last? Will it outlive the current generation and last for several years, like the original series? Will it last 46-48 episodes (one year) like many current anime aimed at children (aikatsu, digimon, precure, etc.), or will it last as long as the current generation, like many previous series? What do you think?

I don't understand the first choice. If they wanted to change the direction of the show, they could just tweak the title ("Season 2") but keep the characters.

The current title and the way they're distancing themselves from a Galar-only format, make it possible for this series to end up like the OS with nearly 6 years under its belt. But that depends on how satisfied TPTB are with sales. At any rate, just one year would be very surprising

It's more about GO than Galar, so it who knows?

As much as I can't stand no Galar story and Gen 8 characters being sent to Not Animated Jail for less reason than usual, it looks like we're stuck with it. They may even say "Eff Gen 9" and keep it this way...

3 years imo. I think it depends on how long Gen 8 lasts, although with the recent expansion pack that's being added to Shield and Sword so soon after their initial release, I wonder if this generation might actually last less than previous ones.

I don't think that the series will last more than three years. The only reason why the original series went past the first generation was because they used it to promote both the first and second generation games. Granted, the series isn't focused primarily on Galar, but I really don't know how they'd be able to make the episodic region hopping format last for six years. Even three years would be pretty tricky if they aren't able to spend a long period of time in one region. I don't think that the series will last for one year either. A lot of it depends on where they're going with the characters and the setup for the series, but I'm sure that we'll get a different series once the next generation is announced.

Go coming close to catching them all and Galar having decent focus isn't something that can be done in 1 year, even 2 years is pushing it.

It could last more than 3 years, if they add new companions and content from new games, but even then they'll run out of old Pokemon and places eventually. Also, a new series every 3 years allows them to repurpose the marketing and gather new fans, so I vote for 3 years.

Even three years would be pretty tricky if they aren't able to spend a long period of time in one region.
That's entirely their choice. Also, plenty of episodic shows are still watched in Japan for more than 3 years. Detective Conan is probably the best example since there are more adults who enjoy it than adults who watch the Pokemon anime.

even then they'll run out of old Pokemon and places eventually
They'll need to showcase more than 3 Pokemon per episode to exhaust all 900+ in 6 years, to say nothing of forms. I assume you mean more than just cameos, so that isn't feasible.

Will they need to stick to one region, ever? No, because at any point in time you'll have kids who aren't familiar with all the regions/Pokemon. Maybe there will be an incentive to prioritize the new region more than now, but still.

As for spicing up the cast, they could just separate Ash and Go from the Sakuragi family.

Last edited:
That's entirely their choice. Also, plenty of episodic shows are still watched in Japan for more than 3 years. Detective Conan is probably the best example since there are more adults who enjoy it than adults who watch the Pokemon anime.

That's true, but it seems like it puts more limits to the series if they go around different region every episode instead of spending some time within a single region for awhile. I'm not too familiar with Detective Conan beyond its basic premise, but I think that Pokemon is a different kind of situation since it is a toyetic driven series rather than being a manga adaptation. Besides that, I'm just not sure if they can make the smaller cast region hopping around work for that long.

The same as any other Pokemon series. So as soon as Gen 9 comes, PM2019 is over.

You mean like all "Pokemon series named after games" (or a Nintendo system in AG's case), except it doesn't fall under that category or really has much to do with it.

Besides that, I'm just not sure if they can make the smaller cast region hopping around work for that long.
I don't see why not unless there's an obvious sign that most viewers are tired of it, but they could just slow down the hopping.

Last edited:
I don't see why not unless there's an obvious sign that most viewers are tired of it, but they could just slow down the hopping.

Because going through different regions so often would probably get boring after awhile if they can't, or don't want to, spend more than one episode in a specific region. It kind of puts a limitation on how much they can do if they just want Ash and Gou to go home by the end of an episode. Slowing down on the hopping so that they can spend some time in a region would help, but I don't know if they're interested in that approach.

I wouldn’t really say that Detective Conan is a good comparison as, while it mostly is episodic, there is an overarching plot that is built upon. PM2019 on the other hand has presented no sign of having any plot or direction at all and is mostly just a series of unrelated episodes not really building towards any kind of direction.

The fact that they completely removed a series subtitle (AG, DP, etc.) this time around points to the end of the three-year series. They could have called it "Pokemon: World Tour" and then named the next series after whatever the gen 9 games will be, but dropping the subtitle completely breaks the cycle and makes a return to the status quo unlikely. I'm guessing the plan from here on out is an episodic, filler-heavy series that is able to continue for years to come (ala Detective Conan) under the name "Pocket Monsters". When new games/gens come out they can dedicate a few episodes to promote it, then back to the filler. We'll never return to the classic series, the new logo was evidence of that all along.

The fact that they completely removed a series subtitle (AG, DP, etc.) this time around points to the end of the three-year series. They could have called it "Pokemon: World Tour" and then named the next series after whatever the gen 9 games will be, but dropping the subtitle completely breaks the cycle and makes a return to the status quo unlikely. I'm guessing the plan from here on out is an episodic, filler-heavy series that is able to continue for years to come (ala Detective Conan) under the name "Pocket Monsters". When new games/gens come out they can dedicate a few episodes to promote it, then back to the filler. We'll never return to the classic series, the new logo was evidence of that all along.

That still seems like reading a whole lot into the title change. Not to mention it just seems so early to claim that they'll never go back to having subtitles when we're just beginning the eighth generation. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it seems really unlikely to me at the moment. I think that they changed the title back to Pocket Monsters just to make it stand out marketing wise and they'll probably include subtitles after they finish whatever plans they have for Ash and Gou for this series. It would be extremely easy to do that and would still help to make new series marketable. I also really can't see Gou staying in for the long haul at this point. He may not be tied down to the eighth generation as much as if he was from the games, but he is going to be associated with Scorbunny and they'll still probably want new characters to also make future series stand out marketing wise. Plus, I don't think that making the series filler-heavy would help it in the long run.

Last edited:
It's the first time since the original series that we had a series not based on any games or generations.

What? The original series was very clearly based on Generations I and II. Satoshi was based on Red, completed the Kanto and Johto badge quests, visited most of the game locations, fought against Team Rocket...sure it took more of a loose approach (especially in Kanto) but every series has been lenient with how it adapts the games.

To answer the actual question, I see it running the length of the generation. While it is true that it's not really adapting Generation VIII in a straightforward way, I don't see it lasting into Generation IX, especially with the episodic format. Besides, for all we know PM2019 could still "sorta kinda" end up adapting the Galar badge quest/more heavily focus on the region later on in the series, even if not in the same way as before.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom