• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How long do you think Pokémon 2019 will last?

How long do you think Pokémon 2019 will last?

• 46-48 episodes like most children's anime

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • till the next generation games like previous series

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • it will outlive the current generation like the original series

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
And they could cover other generations too.
They did: by beginning a new series for the third one.
That doesn’t suddenly mean that the first series isn’t based on the first two generations any more.

How do you justify OS not being based on the first two Generations? They use the Pokemon, the characters, the organisations and gyms?
When they realised that the franchise is gonna last longer they made a new series for the new generation, but that doesn’t negate that OS’s characters and locations are based on the first two generations of the Pokemon franchise.

That also doesn't mean that that series was exclusive to these two generations.
It features literally 2 links to the next series: Harrison and Blaziken; no other links to the media post Generation 2. I wonder how can you base a series on media that isn’t released yet (like you’re implying). They immediately created a new series when new material came along.

The marketing of AG makes it abundantly clear that it is a new series based on the new generation and OS won’t be covering it; or anything after. The creators have brought enough clarity.

It’s like saying that Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s stone movie is an adaptation of every Harry Potter book, or the first Avengers movie is is an adaptation of everything Marvel owns, even characters that didn’t debut in the first movie.

It features literally 2 links to the next series: Harrison and Blaziken; no other links to the media post Generation 2. I wonder how can you base a series on media that isn’t released yet (like you’re implying). They immediately created a new series when new material came along.
My point is, it's called Pokémon the Anime, not Pokémon Green and Red the Anime, or Pokémon Gold and Silver the Anime. It's not created as a series exclusive to a single generation, unlike most other series.

My point is, it's called Pokémon the Anime, not Pokémon Green and Red the Anime, or Pokémon Gold and Silver the Anime. It's not created as a series exclusive to a single generation, unlike most other series.
The naming was so because they didn’t know that the franchise would be successful enough for more games.
They created a single name "Pocket Monsters". The franchise itself. A sequel was planned and they covered it under the same series.
Executive decision declares that a new non-sequel entry would be created, and they adjusted the marketing for a new series.

By the virtue of being the first saga, it cannot by default cover anything other than the first two generations, unless you found a Kalos Pokémon somewhere in EP003. The series' non-specific naming doesn’t mean that they weren’t specifically based on Pokémon: Red and Blue, and Pokémon; Gold and Silver because nothing else existed back then.

Another reason why it's not based on first two generation games.

Not really. Just because that was the initial plan doesn't negate that they did eventually adapt the second generation games. They didn't know how successful Pokemon was going to be when the anime started, so it made sense that they didn't initially plan out to include multiple generations in the series. They adapted quite a bit of G/S with locations, Gyms and different characters. They were more limited on what plot points they could adapt due to how the Team Rocket organization wasn't disbanded in the show like it was in the games, but they still involved Team Rocket as the main villains of the Johto saga. They included Blaziken near the end, but that was more of the standard get kids excited about an upcoming generation rather than actually being based on the then new third generation games. They made a brand new series to cover third generation promotion.

I don't think that the title really means anything when it was clearly designed to promote the first generation games. They included the second generation games, but that was due to how successful the anime and the franchise as a whole had become, which they couldn't have predicted when the anime first started. The original series isn't exclusive to just a single generation, but it was still based on the first and second generation games.

By the virtue of being the first saga, it cannot by default cover anything other than the first two generations, unless you found a Kalos Pokémon somewhere in EP003.
Why the only first two?
The series' non-specific naming doesn’t mean that they weren’t specifically based on Pokémon: Red and Blue, and Pokémon; Gold and Silver because nothing else existed back then.
Then you can't say that it's exclusive to these two gens, since there is nothing else.

Why the only first two?
Because
1. the other generations didn’t exist back then.
2. They got their own adaptations as separate series.

“Only the first two” because they were the ones whose material was available for OS to adapt. How do you suggest that it’s adapting anything else when the material didn’t exist?

Then you can't say that it's exclusive to these two gens, since there is nothing else.
What else do you think it’s an adaptation of?
It’s an adaptation of Gen 1 and 2. Everything else got their own adaption series.

This is the highest order of pedantic I’ve ever seen and it doesn’t even have logic grounded in reality.

I don't think that the title really means anything when it was clearly designed to promote the first generation games.
Title means everything. You can't expect a series called Pokémon Green and Blue to cover Gen II games, you can't expect a series called Pokémon Diamond and Pearl to cover Gen VI games, etc. That's the primary reason that I started this thread.
What else do you think it’s an adaptation of?
Franchise/pokémon games in general, since there was no plans of separate series based on single generations back then.
Because
1. the other generations didn’t exist back then.
2. They got their own adaptations as separate series.
Only in a retrospective way.
“Only the first two” because they were the ones whose material was available for OS to adapt. How do you suggest that it’s adapting anything else when the material didn’t exist?
Point is...they didn't created it as a series specifically for a single generation, which makes it different from most other series.
This is the highest order of pedantic I’ve ever seen and it doesn’t even have logic grounded in reality.
This whole thing started because people had a problem with me saying that Pokémon (1997) and Pokémon (2019) are different from other series because, with names like that, they don't specifically linked to a single generation and can cover all generations. Who's pedantic here?

Last edited:
Title means everything. You can't expect a series called Pokémon Green and Blue to cover Gen II games, you can't expect a series called Pokémon Diamond and Pearl to cover Gen VI games, etc. That's the primary reason that I started this thread.

There wouldn't have been much of a point to call the original series Pokemon Red and Blue though. That only happened later on to separate each series and to establish what generation they were primarily focused on. Since Red and Blue were the only main series games out at the time and they initially weren't expecting the anime to cover more than Kanto, it made sense to title the series Pocket Monsters instead of Pocket Monsters: Red and Blue.

Jeez, you guys are arguing semantics. True, OS was based on the entire Pokemon franchise up to that point, but the entire franchise was gens 1 and 2 at the time. Therefore by the transitive property, OS was based on only gens 1 and 2. And they weren't even aware that they would make any games after gen 2, so they were planning on ending the series after the Jhoto League regardless.

Depends on its popularity in Japan

Personally I'm hoping they go the Sun and Moon route next time, have the in-game characters be much more prominent.

Legitimately never thought that “the original Pokémon anime that has the main character completing the gym quest of the first two generations, adapts several story elements from those games, remixes music from those games, has most key characters from those games, and ended once the successors to those games came out is actually NOT based on those games” would be something I’d see argued so earnestly because the title of the series didn’t have “Red and Green” in it.

I guess BW isn’t based on Gen 5 because it doesn’t have “Black and White” in the title and Gen III isn’t based on the Hoenn games because it’s only called “Advanced Generation”.

That only happened later on to separate each series and to establish what generation they were primarily focused on.
...Which is exacly why I called it not based on certain games and generations. I agree with what Adelon said, we're just discussing semantics, so there is no point to continue this any further.

I'm going to predict this series will last three years and at some point we'll run into Lilly looking for her father but no success on that so far.

Do you mean Lillie? I dunno if I really expect her to return but I wouldn't mind if we get some insight on her progress so far.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom