• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How Lucky Were You At Catching Legendaries...?

How Lucky Are You At Catching Legendaries...?

• Really, really unlucky- I run out of balls/defeated it/get defeated by it.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • Rather unlucky- took me ages to capture, but I get it in the end.

Votes: 65 46.8%
  • Rather lucky- only took me a few balls to capture.

Votes: 46 33.1%
  • Super lucky- only took me one ball to capture.

Votes: 20 14.4%

• Total voters
I've not seen too many people stupid enough to trade legendaries (let alone game-exclusives) for any less than a Rotom, Spiritomb, fossilizations, starters, or shinies, and that's kind of a hassle to get when you can just catch 'em (feels like shooting self for sayin' that).

Also, isn't trading to get legendaries on the Pokedex equally as bad as catching them? You're basically buying them off people who "poach" and pretending that doesn't break your morals. :0

That and normal, non-legendary Pokemon would, with all due respect, still have the same rights to remain in their homes like legendaries do, so that's like... Pokecism. :{

I caught Dailga in Platinum with one Quick Ball, Mewtwo with one Dusk Ball and Latios/ Latias
both with one Love Ball.

Giratina struggle-knocked hisself out 6 times, and then got caught in the first ultra ball of the 7th attempt.
Same for Rayquaza, except that it was the second ultra ball of the 5th attempt.

I've not seen too many people stupid enough to trade legendaries (let alone game-exclusives) for any less than a Rotom, Spiritomb, fossilizations, starters, or shinies, and that's kind of a hassle to get when you can just catch 'em (feels like shooting self for sayin' that).

Also, isn't trading to get legendaries on the Pokedex equally as bad as catching them? You're basically buying them off people who "poach" and pretending that doesn't break your morals. :0

That and normal, non-legendary Pokemon would, with all due respect, still have the same rights to remain in their homes like legendaries do, so that's like... Pokecism. :{

As true as that may be, I still have to compromise, otherwise I would never finish the pokedex.

Mewtwo was the easiest for me to capture in HeartGold. Even if he had taken more than five Ultra Balls to get, I could have gone all day since I was using a Sneasel against him and he only has one offensive move, which is Psychic...

Latios was harder, took a reset and a few dozen Ultra Balls to capture.

The others are just a pain to chase, haven't caught up to them yet. Plus annoyed that I burned the Raikou a while back, so I can't just get him down to 1 HP to capture.

I was just training a ponyta when I discovered this long path that lead into turnback cave. I ran into Giratina (which i had never heard of before) and, after hours of trying, resetting and using all of my ultra balls, caught him with my second last pokeball. It was awesome.

I caught Dialga with a Quick Ball, and Palkia with a Nest Ball. I got so confident after this I went straight to the level 1 Reggigas...it was so hard I had to use my Masterball! :( (This was on Pokemon Platinum)
Apart from that I have average luck with legendaries

I am rather lucky against Legendaries since i throw like 10-15 utrla balls.

Ho-Oh was pretty easy, I just waited until night and threw several Dusk Balls and caught it.

The Legendary Birds were even less difficult to catch, same with Suicune.

Entei and Raikou were tough, but my Dugtrio had Arena Trap so they didn't run away as often.

Arena Trap doesn't work on Latias, and she took me several hours to catch.

I was very lucky catching Entei on SS, I just randomly found it while training, threw 1 Poké Ball and it was caught!!:lol: With Suicune I wasn't so lucky as I threw about 20 Net balls to catch it.:uhoh:

The first time I played Red I ended up killing all of them...yeah, seriously. I've been pretty lucky since then though.

My friend caught a raikou with only one poke ball, XD
then when i forgot to save before catching legendaries, i use only 5-8 ultra ball without restarting the Ds..

I'm horrible at catching pokemon, but my brother gets so lucky at it. I usually make him catch the legends for me and sometimes train my pokemon when I'm sick of it.

There should be another poll option, because I catch some legenaries with the first ball and some others I have to sell my house to buy enough pokeballs.

Though it varies between legendaries, I'd have to say that the luck fairy only sprinkled me with a few granules of luck (inside joke).
It took me only 6 ultra balls to catch Lugia in Soul Silver and IMHO that's luckier than most.
On the other hand, when trying to catch Latias in Pewter City (Enigma Stone Wi-Fi Event) I ran out of ultra balls (which I had 25 of), and had to reset.

Also, I'm not sure if this counts, but when I was helping my friend catch Entei (curse you, Entei!) in SoulSilver, it literally took me HOURS to catch it. I didn't have to reset, but ultra balls kept failing me and depleting, and Entei kept fleeing. I had to keep it overnight to catch it because my friend had to go home. ):

:banghead:

Last edited:
I've never had any luck at all when It comes to catching legendaries. Like... Id wittle them down to 1 hp... put them to sleep... start throwing ultra balls... then lose pokemon after pokemon trying to catch the guy. It took me 3-4 tries to catch each of the legendary birds. However, Dialga and Palkia were cake.

I'm rather unlucky. Even if I have alot of Pokeballs, it still doesn't get captured and I get defeated.

I was rather lucky with Giratina in Pt. I threw two Ultra Balls, weakened it a bit, and the third it stayed.
For Rayquaza I only had one Ultra Ball, so I tried resetting the game and after the 5th reset I caught it.
As for the others... I had bad luck with Lugia in SoulSilver, and the five roaming legendaries in Platinum took ages to catch whenever they popped up. I think I finished that quest in March with Moltres...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom