• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: How many chapters is too few?

awsome_zman

Reaction score
So this is part-discussion, part help. Is there a way to have both prefixes at once?
I've been working on my Pokémon story, and I'm somewhat concerned about the pacing of it. The way I plan it out in my head, it would only be 10-14 chapters long at the current pace of chapters, and they're not very big chapters based on the thread on chapter length posted elsewhere on this forum, only containing around 1500 words per chapter. I'm worried the story is too densely packed, but I also feel that adding breather or filler chapters would hurt the story, considering there's partially an urgent tone. I'm not sure what to do, so I would like to ask: Is it normal for there to not be very many chapters in a story? On average, how many chapters do your stories normally contain when completed?

I think you've kinda answered your own question there. If your story requires a taut narrative, then there'll be fewer chapters. It also ought to be borne in mind that fanfics tend to skew to larger wordcounts than published fiction. 1500 words across about 15 chapters is a long short story, by the standards of published fiction.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom