• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How many individuals exist for legendary pokemon species?

Pokestar

Reaction score
So I've always believed some there are multiple legendary pokemon for some species, but not for others. I'd think there are multiple mews and celebis, but not multiple groudons and palkias. However there may be multiple groudons and you can get a newborn palkia from the arceus event. What do you think?

I agree with you. For some Legendaries like Arceus I think they're one of a kind and for others like Articuno I think they're just so rare that they've become legendary and people might think they're one of a kind.

In Japan, they officially separate "Legendary Pokemon" and "Mystical Pokemon"

Legendary Pokemon - Pokemon that have very special background story, which is generally the myths and tales in each region. They generally gives the nature some influences. In the game, they plays important roles in the story, or having special encounter. They are prohibited to be used in Official Competitions. The Legendary Pokemon are usually only one in the world, though not always.
E.g. The legendary birds, The legendary beasts, The Regis, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Arceus, Zekrom, Reshiram, Kyurem, etc.

Mystical Pokemon - Pokemon that their existence itself is special. They may not have any special background story. In the game, you can access to these Pokemon only through special events in the campaigns of toy stores or event sites. Mystical Pokemon usually have more than one individuals in the world, but because not much people have seen them, finding one is already difficult enough.
E.g. Mew, Celebi, Latios, Latias, Shaymin, Victini, Manaphy, Phione, etc.

Also, it should note that there are some Pokemon float in the gray area between the category of Legendary Pokemon and Mystical Pokemon, such as Mewtwo, Deoxys, Darkrai, Cresselia, Heatran, etc. Except Mewtwo, do all the other Pokemon in this category have only one or more than one individual is debatable.

There should be only one Deoxys, on Earth at least; I'd comfortably say there's one Mewtwo and one Genesect as well.

There probably is only one Zekrom, Reshiram, and Kyurem as well, considering their origins.

The muskedeer seem so based off their original material that I doubt that there'd be more of them also.

Arceus and the pixies I'd also number at one, and maybe the genies as well. There is probably one of Rayquaza, Groudon and Kyogre, or else they are all conveniently asleep.

For all the others, I could see multiples. The Dragon Trio members probably require special creations, or else they can reproduce without mate (I dunno how the move Substitute works, but it makes for interesting thought).

Last edited:
For Pokemon like Arceus they are unique. There are only one of Dialga, Palkia and Giratina, though Arceus created another one in the event to show off its power. I can see many Mew, Celebi, Jirachi and Manaphy and Phione and also Lati@s and possibly Legendary Birds. Other than those it is safe to say there are one of each.

i've always assumed that each legendary is a one-of-a-kind immortal deity and that every time there is more than one of it (e.g. the parent and child lugia) they are just members of a mortal species that the being created in it's own image

The only Legendary trio I think that there's only one of is the Fairy Trio from Gen 4, because they alone created willpower, hope, and emotion.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom