• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How much do you pay attention to stats?

Kouzan

Silent in the trees.
Reaction score
The title explains it.
When I was younger and my Pokemon leveled up, I really didn't care how much stats they would get. I would have a tl;dr moment and would just smash the A button. Now that I know what EVs are and how they affect stats, I seem to pay more attention to how much stats my Pokemon get when they level up. I sometimes take a note of how much each Pokemon gets and look uo the EV yields of Pokemon I knock-out.

I'm a not big EV trainer though, but ever since I have knowledge of EVs I've noticed stat changes more.

So how much do you pay attention to stats? Do you notice them more when ev training or do you pay attention to them everytime you level up?

Last edited:
Funnily enough, I was thinking about the same thing today. I never really pay attention to the stats, just smash the A-button. I was actually wondering if someone actually did read the stats and it appears some people do:p Never got into EV training though, never have the patience to read about it.

Oh boy, do I? I can't sit down and enjoy the story mode anymore. I always have to EV train my Pokemon, even if they're my in-game teams. I tell ya, EV training has ruined the game for me. Well, not really. Still, I'm currently playing a Leafgreen run through and just recently finished a Soulsilver playthrough and in neither of them I EV trained a single Pokemon. It was torture. Also? Not resetting for the right Nature left me twitching for half an hour. And catching a Pokemon with an awesome Nature only to not EV train kills me a little each time.

Yes, I need professional help.

I pay little attention to the actual stat bonuses, but I EV train all my Pokemon besides the ones I use for the story the first time around. After that, I breed them and EV train. If I had never of learned about EV training, the games would be so much more enjoyable ;_;

I started paying attention to stats during Gen IV and realized the mess I've made with my Pokemon's movesets.

I never paid any attention to stats until just recently when I read a small article about making a good pokemon team. I'm still not going to specifically EV train, but I have been looking at me team's stats and figurine out to best moveset for my pokemon.

Oh boy, do I? I can't sit down and enjoy the story mode anymore. I always have to EV train my Pokemon, even if they're my in-game teams. I tell ya, EV training has ruined the game for me. .

If I had never of learned about EV training, the games would be so much more enjoyable ;_;

Wow it seems I should be happy I never learned about EV training ^^'

I've bred over a thousand of the same pokemon, just to get one with flawless IVs. I am also a skilled EV trainer. So, yes, I care about stats, and that is one of the things that makes me one of the best on Bulbagarden.

As for in-game teams, I don't bother EV-training them because the games are so easy.

I do look at stats, but I don't EV train. I just look for a decent nature and that's that. Except in legendary Pokemon, since one, I rarely use them, and two, I don't have the patience to reset for a good nature. xP

I would reset for a decently natured starter, but so far, I haven't actually had to.

I started to pay attention to stats when I replaced confusion on a kadabra with psycho cut.
Now I pay atention to stats.

Oh boy, do I? I can't sit down and enjoy the story mode anymore. I always have to EV train my Pokemon, even if they're my in-game teams. I tell ya, EV training has ruined the game for me. Well, not really. Still, I'm currently playing a Leafgreen run through and just recently finished a Soulsilver playthrough and in neither of them I EV trained a single Pokemon. It was torture. Also? Not resetting for the right Nature left me twitching for half an hour. And catching a Pokemon with an awesome Nature only to not EV train kills me a little each time.

Yes, I need professional help.

EV training really should be saved for post-game. It won't necessary make the story mode any easier than it already is, but it WILL drag the game to the point you will want to stop playing entirely. I tried pseudo-EV training on my FireRed way back in 3rd gen, and didn't manage to get past S.S. Anne because it was just so annoying. In short, train for BT/BF/BS or Wi-Fi matches, but leave in-game alone because it will just ruin your experience.

I would advice for getting at least a neutral nature on your Pokes, though. I still can't get over the fact that my Simisage would be so much better battler if it didn't have that crappy Bold nature :(

Last edited:
I only use them to determine whether a Pokemon should have more physical or special attacks.

that is one of the things that makes me one of the best on Bulbagarden.

One of the best what, exactly?

---

I do care about stats these days. I never used to, but after stumbling upon a certain website my entire view on how to play pokemon changed entirely. However, all I do in-game is make sure they have the right nature. For example, I could never have a Modest Axew or a Jolly Munna on my team. My OCD towards stats and nature will not let me. I leave IVs and EVs for stuff that I'm going to use for battling, since it's not that important in-game (well, it's not like natures are, but it's lesser problem).

I was never really aware of it, I just assumed level as a barometer of strength, didnt care about stats, now when I want to add a pokemon to my team i always catch a bunch and add the one with the best nature and stats mix

I admit I dont pay attention to stats much at all. I sometimes look at Natures but not stats. Ive only EV trained one Pokemon and it isnt even the right nature so I cant use it anywhere except in game. I sometimes think I ought to pay attention to stats but I never do for some reason.

I only really pay attention to stats if I feel like my Pokemon is underperforming (eg. not being able to take out a lower-leveled Pokemon with a decently-powered SE attack), in which case I engage in some half-hearted EV training to get them a few extra points. Some of the ones I've trained have bad Natures for their stats/movesets, but as long as it's not really dragging them down, I don't really care.

I think the first and only time I cared about stats on my Pokemon was when I EV trained a rather crappy Dragonite to be 252 Attack 252 Speed. His IVs were holding him back, and I just don't have the time to deal with that nonsense, so I gave up on all of that.

As long as I can whoop my friends with my terribly raised team of misfits, I don't care about stats.

Well you have to pay attention to your stats regardless of EV's or IV's, otherwise you'll be making incredibly stupid crap like physical attacking Chansey or defensive Pikachu. In my eyes, you should always watch your stats in both casual and competitive scenario in order to ensure a reliable use of a Pokemon.

I never have, and I still don't. The only time I pay attention to stats and stuff is when evolving Tyrogue. I never even use stat changing moves like Tail Whip and stuff, I only use them at the beginning of a game or while training a really low leveled Pokemon so I can get an advantage over it with attack or something. When my Pokemon raise a level, I just hit A and don't pay attention. I don't really care what the stats are, I don't base my teams on that. I just pick Pokemon I like and try to not use the same type more than once in my team.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom