• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How much do you pay attention to stats?

I never used to check stats. I loved just playing the games. Now that I make my teams learn moves based on their stats I look a lot more. But still dont care that much. If i have a pokemon with low attack I may try to make more special moves with it but Im not that bothered.

None at all. Personnally, I just find it to be a big waste of time.

I used not to, until this gen. And truthfully, I only care about certain stats and certain Natures on certain Pokemon.
EV training really should be saved for post-game. It won't necessary make the story mode any easier than it already is, but it WILL drag the game to the point you will want to stop playing entirely. I tried pseudo-EV training on my FireRed way back in 3rd gen, and didn't manage to get past S.S. Anne because it was just so annoying. In short, train for BT/BF/BS or Wi-Fi matches, but leave in-game alone because it will just ruin your experience.
I did a good portion of my EV training pre-E4. I'd heard so many horror stories about that Hydreigon that I decided to hit back as hard as I possibly could. And it's weird--I actually enjoyed EV training my Golurk. To me, that was our bonding time and watching his stats go up with each and every level made me happy. EV training something like a Deino, however...

Yeah, you'll quit the game and never want to touch it again. That was a nightmare that I'd never wish on anyone. I tried, but I simply couldn't tough it out. :banghead:

I did after I took a horrible beating while battling someone who EV trained his Pokémon. I battled using my in-game team. That inspired me to look at stats and EV train. Now I have around 80 EV-trained Pokémon and trust me, it's not that hard, and it's not a long process if you have the right tools. If you have everything you need, you can completely EV train a Pokémon within half an hour. Like someone here said, EV training really saves the game post-adventure mode.

I never used to look at the stats of the mons till 3 years back or so. And thus I had physically attacking kadabra and sh*t like that in my team.

As far as ingame is concerned, I just use a Pokemon with a decent nature(and thus no modest salamence or something like that). Pokemon is far too easy ingame to even waste time ev-training.

While using bands and EV training as always. All I really care about are stats, powerful moves are good too, but Sp.Def is my favorite stat.

Back in Gen 1, 2, and 3 I didn't care about the stats because it was much more simple back then, however since Gen 4 I have become "stat crazy" lol I'm literally as precise as I can be as to where the EV's are distributed when training my Pokemon. IV's play a very important role in this, as they have to be at least "Superior" in order for me to train that Pokemon.

Nature's can also sometimes play a big part on what stats you want to focus on and that's why if a particular stat is hindered that I need to focus on I will not train that Pokemon because I know in the end it won't be worth it.

Generally the extent to which I care about stats is taking note of whether a Pokemon has a stronger attack or special attack stat and giving moves accordingly. Other than that..... well, if a Pokemon has horrible stats I notice, otherwise, no, I don't care.

I may loo k'em over once or twice. Or if I wanna show off a stat to my friends, or something.

I don't even glance at stats. I just choose a Pokemon I want, level it up, give it a moveset I think fits, and give it an item.

I may be 10, but no. I don't really care about them. I just believe in my Pokemon's strength and I have to to believe in my 50-bits of pixels. :p

The only times I pay attention to stats are when:

1. I have a slow Pokémon whose speed I want to increase.
  2. A Pokémon's moveset is either all Physical or all Special moves.

Usually I don't pay attention! But when I'm torn between 2 pokes which of them I want in my main 6 I'll choose the one with the better stats! XD

I'm a big EV trainer though, but ever since I have knowledge of EVs I've noticed stat changes more.
whoops meant to I'm not a big EV trainer. Oh well, it's fixed now

I have to say it all depends on the Pokemon. Lots of times I'll check at "milestone" levels, like 50. When I EV train, sometimes I check just to see how much I can make a stat go up before the Pokemon levels up. When I'm done training it, I always check its stats.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I only check occasionally with Pokemon with High Atk or Sp.Atk.

I never waste time EV training before the main storyline is done, but afterwards I always find pokémon I like and then EV train em.. Usually to compensate for the projected shortfalls (just did a Zigzagoon and pinned both def/sdef so it wouldn't die in one shot like the last one I had). I also tend to keep my EV trained pokémon seperate from the rest of the riff-raff in the PC boxes ;D

Not till Generation 4 did I care about stats. Then I became kind of... obsessive. :p I now must have the right natures or stats. I think that it was either some competitive website or Smogon that I stumbled upon, and things were never the same. I actually equate that as a loss of innocence, because things in the past were so much easier when I wasn't concerned with competitive things.

I can't even have my ingame team have bad natures, they all must have the right ones and that is frustrating. I know its bad, but now its like I can't even go through the story unless their natures are good, otherwise it will be a big chip on my shouder the whole way through. EV training on the other hand I can deal with easier, and I almost always wait till the end of the game before re training and EV'ing everybody.

Unlike others I also don't breed much, I just like using my ingame Pokemon from the story because I feel bonded or whatever, so the need to have them good is probably why stats bother me now. I really do wish sometimes that things were as easy as the first few Gens in regards to stats though.

During the main storyline: the stats only dictate, well, whether the moveset goes physical or special.

Afterwards: I pay a LOT of attention to the stats. The super-challenging (shut up haxorz) Battle Subway has conditioned me into a guy who breeds towards perfection.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom