• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How much "emotional investment" do you put in the anime?

PDL

Not into Ponies I swear!
Reaction score
This may sound like an odd question, but it would explain alot of irrational behavoir seen on the forums.

What I mean by "emotional investment"? I mean what do you watch the show for? How much do you really care about it and how do you react when something goes "wrong". Do you merely watch it because of a single a few characters and the whole show is merely a vehicle for said characters?

I myself view the cartoon merely as what it is. A cartoon that's ment for children. I think the show is handled well (from the producers perspective, they do things to the anime that would make the most money for them ie: promote a new game/movie). I view the characters merely as characters, and how they fit from the producer's point of view (how will they generate the most viewership).

I love the show, and I love and connect with the characters. I daydream about them and write fanfiction about them. I watch the show, besides nostalgia, because it just happens to be a cute, colorful little franchise that appeals to me even though I'm past the target audience.
However, I'm not one to throw a bitch fit when things don't go my way, and they rarely do. I don't expect a low-budget Japanese children's show to have mindbogglingly great writing and animation or to not make mistakes.

But you know, for a simple show aimed at kids made to advertise some games, it certainly does its job of removing me from the awkwardness of the real world and allow me to jump into the realm of fantasy.
And boy do I LOVE it.

I LOVE Pokémon and it's something really special to me
It's the world I would love to live in, these are the people I would die to meet and be with in real life, these are the creatures I would do everything to make exist on our stupid world, these are my friends I grow up with, watch their development and how they change with the time, this is what makes me happy, what makes me laugh, what makes me realize every day just how crazy about it I am

In short, Pokémon is my life ^_^
Yeah, I seriously love it so much... and I'm loving it more and more as time goes on, if it's even possible to love it more than how I already am
While I sometimes irritating by some things the writers choose to do, it doesn't affect me as much as posts on forums might make you think
While I think the writers are extremely stupids for making Ambi leave, I'll get over it eventually even if say I won't and doesn't really affect me in real life...

The Pokémon world looks to me like they made it especially for me, Ilove just everything in it: the creatures themselves, the world, the amazing amout of Poké/attacks and other things and so on...
This show is just perfect (even if I complain sometimes) I love the characters and watching them change with the time (especially Ash) is just awesom... I'm also totally in love with the whole friendship thing that Pokémon loves to emhpasize

The songs and background music are also something I really like in Pokémon (too bad the dub insist to completely destroy everything with their stupid BGM, watch AG1 in Japanese and it'll make the dub ep seem like something totally different) but I learned to live with this BGM... but I do like a few of the dub only BGM (and the songs, especially the 4Kids ones are just amazing)

The voice actors is another thing
Too bad that in the Hebrew dub they don't take things seriously and VAs are replaced every second
At least we were lucky with Ash... his second VA consistently did Ash since season 4 and the previous VA was his brother so their voices aren't that different from each other
This VA is just amazing! For me he IS Ash, and fits him even better than the Japanese VA
Dawn's VA is my favorite Hebrew VA and she's perfect for Dawn - I always said how she should do her and was so happy when it actually happened
These two VAs know how to actually show emotion with the characters and this is another thing I like in Pokémon

I'm also very interested in the translation and dubbing of the show
Unfortunately, the translation here is horrible, names and attacks/etc are translated bad and they even can't be consistent with names
Eventually I and two others helped them with the Chronicles dub (made lists of names for every episode) and I continued to help them alone in season 10
Now I help them with season 11 too... which will air here in Jetix instead of the usual channel
Seems like the move to Jetix will be good since apparently they demand to know how they translate the names of everything and demand to change things that aren't translated as should be
Hopefully that means from S11 and on we'll have a good and consistent translation (about time)

I know I got a little "off topic" with this dub thing, but this is one of the reasons I like Poké...

Oh, and I'm totally in love with Pokémon Contests, the characters they bring it and everything to do with them
I was excited in a ridiculous level when I watched the Kanto GF for first time in Japanese
The Wallace Cup also made me go crazy with May's return and Dawn/Piplup's character development

I also love the games (but I don't get crazy with EVs and all that) but sadly I still don't have a DS
But for me - the anime is the best thing about Pokémon... better than the games and everything else

I guess everyone here hates me for once again making such a ridiculously long post... oh well

The pokemon anime is something that I grew up with when I was younger. I still enjoy it a lot, otherwise I wouldn't be on these forums. That being said, I don't get emotional over it at all... as in heated debate wise.

It's a children's television show and nothing else. I'd miss it if someone told me I could never watch it again, but no doubt there are better/more productive things I could be doing with my time. :p

Well I've seen all 600 episodes of the series in some form, and all the movies, and specials.

I know a lot of people haven't seen every episode, but I've actually seen every episode of every saga at least once.

Of course some eps I wished I never watched, (some of the shows worst episodes really are almost hell to sit through), and I do find enjoyment from it. I hope the show gets a canon ending someday.

Well I've seen all 600 episodes of the series in some form, and all the movies, and specials.

I watched at least once every Hebrew dubbed episode/movie (seasons 1-10, movies 1-4, "Mewtwo Returns" and "Pokémon Chronicles")
I also watched movies 5-11 at least once in either English or Japanese
Watched in English/Japanese the ANA shorts and some other things like Mirage and MD
Since the BF Scizor episode (the first ep to use "Spurt" as the OP) I watched every episode that aired in Japan... and I continue to do so
I also watched all of season 10 in English and about first 30 eps of S11 too (continue to watch it currently)

And Scott, I doubt it's as rare as you seem to think... I'm pretty sure everyone who really like Poké watched at least once their dub version of the show

For about six years, from the time I was 6-12, Pokemon was, quite literally, my life.

Now, though, not so much. Sure, I still watch the series -- and subsequently have purchased past seasons' DVD sets -- and play the games, but it is nowhere near as predominate in my life as it was ten years ago. Currently, I consider film my passion and it has become hard to restrain from looking at the anime/film section of the Poke-franchise without a critical eye.

I see the anime as mindless entertainment. There really isn't anything or anyone to get emotionally invested in. For me, to get invested in a character he/she needs lengthy, arduous, character-arcs that examine the character's motivations and faults -- something Pokemon can't do.

Everyone has something they are still attached to from childhood. For me, that is Pokemon. Whether or not that will carry on as I age remains to be seen, but I hope to, one day, be that grumpy old man who complains whilst wagging a crooked finger about the quality of kids' television these days and then laments about his favourite shows of yore.

Last edited:
How much emotional investment do I put in the Pokémon anime? For me, that goes without saying: none! Once I saw part of the new series, and I was shocked. The anime has severely degressed, imo.

The anime has severely degressed, imo.

Care to explain?
Let's compare...
Old anime:
- Ash the only starring characters, rest are sidekicks who barely do things
- Ash get badges for free
- Not really any exciting battles like some of what we get now
- Pokémon shown more as tools rather than characters
- No character development
- No plot aside from the Gyms

New anime:
- Two stars: Ash and Dawn
- Double plot: Gyms and Contests
- A try to actually have an additional ongoing plot of the evil team and other villians: Team Galactic and Hunter J
- Ash actually earn his badges the right way
- Character development (see: Ash, Dawn...)
- Interesting character interactions (Ash/Dawn, Ash/Paul, Ash/Jun, Dawn/Piplup)
- Pokémon are actual characters with personality and development

Yeah, let's say the old is better just because it's old, even if it makes no sense to say that
But I guess it's still a matter of opinion... but really, how can anyone deny the anime only improve with the time? I really can't understand that

Well, I love this show. I honestly do. It's probably my favorite show ever and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I watch it because it's a very lighthearted and fun show, and I like how it's humorous but can also be serious at the same time. I love the characters and honestly wish they were real, because they're the kind of people I would love to be friends with in real life. And when I'm in a bad mood, watching an episode of Pokemon cheers me up like nothing else can.

None at all. I see it as the cheesy TV show it is, one that milks americas obsessions with all things japanese.

I love Pokemon when I was little, and I love it now. When I was little, I put a LOT of emotional investment in it. Almost too much. Now, I still love it, but I have people in my life I put that emotion too, I only watch it on the weekend and breaks. I don't get so passionate that I argue about some little plot point or release(very often anyways).

Now people who obsessively rant about the same things over and over....

I love the show too. I sometimes get deprived if I don't watch it for a while, plus re watching old episodes brings nostalgia for me. I like seeing the character development, rivalry between Ash and other characters he meets, like Paul.

The good thing about current Saga is that we see more pokemon and character development. Plots like Pokemon Hunter J and Team Galactic, not just Team Rocket all the time, but they are there too.

This may sound strange, but sometimes I wish I could just take Paul and tell him to back down and do things right, even though he is not real. Guess that proves his character is good or you would not get that feeling so much. In the past we had Gary, he was good, but Ash and him got along even though they were rivals, I doubt Ash and Paul ever will get along, they are just too different.

Plots are good this saga, so are some fillers, a few have been bad, take when Ash Staravia evolved, that episode IMO sucked, not much story and hard to say focused on it.

The old/original episodes had problems then, but that was because it was then, it was the first try, but by now the writers have had time to work out their problems and do things better.

I do like how this time Ash and gangs pokemon are out of their pokeballs more and eating/resting/playing and battling more so than in original episodes, seems that when the show started all the pokemon were good for was battling or being kept in pokeballs (pikachu is exception) but as the show progressed this did not happen so much and pokemon got more development, minus when they get Oaked, but they are brought back in the end of a Saga, for a Battle Frontier or whatever.

I love Pokemon when I was little, and I love it now. When I was little, I put a LOT of emotional investment in it. Almost too much. Now, I still love it, but I have people in my life I put that emotion too, I only watch it on the weekend and breaks. I don't get so passionate that I argue about some little plot point or release(very often anyways).

Now people who obsessively rant about the same things over and over....

I feel the same way as you, even though I do miss the show sometimes when I don't watch it, but I'd miss the people in my life, one especially, if I did not talk to them or see them and they are more important now. I can always catch up with the show, especially how Jetix always re-shows the episodes a few times before showing any new ones. Being an adult now, I just like playing the games when I am bored and watching the anime once in a while, but I would not give up altogether on pokemon, it was a big part of my childhood and its going to stick with me until the end.

Care to explain?
Let's compare...
Old anime:
- Ash the only starring characters, rest are sidekicks who barely do things
Better than having a slut be a main character.
- Ash get badges for free
Not true, at least not always.
- Not really any exciting battles like some of what we get now
I don't see much difference. They beefed up graphics. So?
- Pokémon shown more as tools rather than characters
Humans use animals. It's been shown throught history.
- No character development
Hasn't changed.
- No plot aside from the Gyms
That's still how it is, with the addition of boring contests.
New anime:
- Two stars: Ash and Dawn
ZZZ. They do this for business. Ash will get boring after a while if he's alone.
- Double plot: Gyms and Contests
Contests? Gyms? Plot? Only makes it shallower. Each episode follows: starting narration; they train; TR comes and gets blasted off; they walk around and do stuff; the end. Minor variations for each.
- A try to actually have an additional ongoing plot of the evil team and other villians: Team Galactic and Hunter J
Ok, they do, but how much do they appear?
- Ash actually earn his badges the right way
No comment.
- Character development (see: Ash, Dawn...)
Really, now? Must be as much develpment as the economy.
- Interesting character interactions (Ash/Dawn, Ash/Paul, Ash/Jun, Dawn/Piplup)
Oh, I see...
- Pokémon are actual characters with personality and development
And they didn't before?
Yeah, let's say the old is better just because it's old, even if it makes no sense to say that
But I guess it's still a matter of opinion... but really, how can anyone deny the anime only improve with the time? I really can't understand that

As for the last part, you're right, we have our own opinions. It's what makes us all unique. Why do I deny that the anime will improve? I don't.

Last edited:
How much emotional investment do I put in the anime? Way too much, no doubt.

My reactions are strangely two-sided.

On the one hand, I love it - I love watching it, reading it, drawing it and writing it; I love the characters dearly, almost as if they were friends or family of mine; and I think about Pokémon constantly (mostly by dreaming up scenes or plots for stories) in spare moments all day long. It cheers me up, keeps me going, and sometimes it's the brightest part of my day.

On the other hand I don't take it, or my obsession with it, very seriously - I know it's a kid's show, and I don't expect a whole lot from it. Certainly I don't expect great drama or continuity from it (though DP has continuously surprised me by scoring somewhat higher on those fronts than I'd have guessed), and I'm always astounded at how angry people get when it doesn't live up to fanfic-and-forum-inspired expectations (don't they know that nothing could be wonderful enough to live up to those?)

It would take a lot for me to consider something as "going wrong." I've seen maybe 3/4ths of the episodes, and the only one that greatly upset me was "Pop Goes the Sneasel," which seemed so brutal (and out-of-character, after "Meowth Rules"), but as usual I dealt with my dissatisfaction through writing, and it ended up inspiring my first (completed) Pokemon story, one which I'm still very proud of.

I suppose if it were taken over by other creators who changed everything about it in a sudden and callous way (as has happened to some other shows, but anime seems to be luckier than many others in that regard), I'd be very upset...but then, I'd still have ten years(!) worth of episodes to console myself with.

I mostly like it because it's fun, it amuses me highly, and it distracts me from the alternately boring and stressful parts of my days. I'm probably a bit too attached to it, considering I'm an adult, but I've always been a bit too attached to fictional worlds, which I figure is a plus for an aspiring novelist. Besides, I think there's something good to be said for retaining a youthful outlook, and never outgrowing one's ability to enjoy "childish" things.

(At least, that's what I tell myself, loudly and frequently, when I pop in a DVD or open a fan story... ;-) )

I don't know what you mean exactly by 'emotional investment.' But I will admit that I am still somewhat addicted to Pokemon, even after all these years. Otherwise, I wouldn't keep watching the show, or engaging in fandom discussions like this.

And no, I don't just watch the show because of hardcore devotion to a single element. I know I often discuss the music in the show, particularly the original Japanese. I admit that's probably what most interests me about the show,but that's not the only thing that interests me.I also like the character interaction, character development, the plot, action sequences, the animation, and a whole host of other things.

But even so, Pokemon for me is just a past time interest for my spare time. It's not a career or lifestyle to get worked up over when things aren't the I want them to be on the show. And I think I'm objective enough to admit that there are flaws that I can see clearly, yet still enjoy the show for what it is. And the worst thing that can happen every Saturday morning is that I end up wasting 30 minutes out of my life that I can never get back. Then I just pick and move on with the rest of my weekend.

But if for whatever reason, the show reduced itself to such low quality and was incapable of redeeming itself IMO, I could easily just let go of Pokemon altogether and move on to another past time interest.

Too damn much, but there's a reason for that. Pokemon is my main way to escape school and other real life problems. I find it fun to come on here and talk/debate/complain about it.

I also love shipping. I've been doing it nearly my entire life, but it's rare I really get into a shipping. It's been years since I last had two characters I loved shipping so much.

I LOVE Pokémon and it's something really special to me
It's the world I would love to live in, these are the people I would die to meet and be with in real life, these are the creatures I would do everything to make exist on our stupid world, these are my friends I grow up with, watch their development and how they change with the time, this is what makes me happy, what makes me laugh, what makes me realize every day just how crazy about it I am

In short, Pokémon is my life ^_^
Yeah, I seriously love it so much... and I'm loving it more and more as time goes on, if it's even possible to love it more than how I already am

The Pokémon world looks to me like they made it especially for me, Ilove just everything in it: the creatures themselves, the world, the amazing amout of Poké/attacks and other things and so on...
This show is just perfect (even if I complain sometimes) I love the characters and watching them change with the time (especially Ash) is just awesom... I'm also totally in love with the whole friendship thing that Pokémon loves to emhpasize
I competely agree with everything you said!! ^_^

I grew up watching Pokemon, and for me, it is such a magical show. I still love Pokemon as much as I did back then. In fact, every time I watch the 4Kids dub, it fills me with so much happiness.

Pokemon is one of those happy, feel-good shows, that just warms your heart. From the characters themselves, to the funny dialogue, from the main storyline (Ash's goal of becoming a Pokemon Master), to the close relationship that each of the characters (both human and Pokemon) have with one another - it's all of these wonderful aspects, and even more, that come together to make Pokemon such an awesome show for everyone.

These two VAs know how to actually show emotion with the characters and this is another thing I like in Pokémon
Yes, I know exactly what you mean, Piplup! When the VAs actually show emotion, the characters really come to life! This is something that I feel is a very important aspect of the show. Generally speaking, no matter what version of the show you're watching, when Ash's lines are spoken - for me, it is the amount of emotion I can hear in his voice, which truly makes me feel like "Yes!! I'm with Ash and his friends, experiencing these amazing adventures with him! This is amazing!".

And personally, when I watch the 4Kids dub, I really do feel like I'm traveling with Ash on his journey, and watching him have all these amazing experiences. When you think about it, we get to see Ash in every mood, and whether he's feeling happy, angry, sad, cheerful, or determined - for me, it's that emotion which brings him to life every single time. And this isn't just the case for Ash, but for all the other characters as well.

Also, Piplup, the way you feel about the Hebrew VAs? I feel the same way about the original English VAs of Pokemon, especially Veronica Taylor and her portrayal of Ash. <3333

To be honest, that was the main reason I looked forward to watching Pokemon every Saturday on KidsWB. I loved Ash's personality so much, and no matter how what feeling he was expressing in a particular scene, Ash's words have always touched my heart. But, of course, the way the characters are portrayed and the voice acting aren't the only reasons why I watch the show. I also like the animation and the music (both Japanese and 4Kids BGM).

Besides watching the Pokemon anime, I also play the games. And although I like the games, I enjoy the anime much, MUCH more (the 4Kids dub in particular).

So, anyway, these are my thoughts about Pokemon. To say that I am emotionally attached to the show would probably be an understatement, because truthfully, I think Pokemon is my life, like Piplup said.

Last edited:
I have a lot of emotional attachment to the show, ever since I first saw it so long ago... I still watch the show, though I hate the dub, I still play and basically haven't had anything else take over my life as much as Pokemon. True in recent years, I haven't done as much as I did when I was smaller, but I still go to every event, every tournament I can, on the first day and as early as I can. Like with Plat, I waited at Game Stop for two hours to be the first one to play it. I did the same thing when they brought giant Meowth plushes at Toys R Us.

I did go a bit off track but still, the anime still holds a good portion of my childhood. And while I adore some things the writers did (adding Dawn) I hate with a passion on others (Zoey). I still love the colors and the shiny Pokies. I try to remember the music, and play it in my head. If I'm thinking about a character, I can hear their voices in my head like they were there. I own most of the first season on VHS, I have some of the movies, and I have an Orange Islands saga DVD. I have some of the promotional items that companies give away near release. I have most of the old Burger King "Cards" and I have the Shaymin hanging net to my TV for crying out loud. I own an Ash cap and I wore it to Knoxville's anime convention. I have a Pikachu ear hat. I even have the anime's Japanese lunch box!

The dub and the series in general helped me through school, as I counted the days until the new episode came on. I played "Pokemon" with my friends at recess. Heck, when I moved to Tennessee, my first friend I had was because of the Pokemon anime!

I love the anime, and I am emotionally attached to it. Sue me.

Last edited:
I grew up watching Pokemon, and for me, it is such a magical show. I still love Pokemon as much as I did back then. In fact, every time I watch the 4Kids dub, it fills me with so much happiness.

This applies to me as well. The first episode of Pokemon I saw was indeed the first episode created. I remember how touching it was when Pikachu was so damn obstinate but Ash never gave up trying to make friends with it. After a while though Pikachu became injured and Ash did his best to protect Pikachu from anymore harm. Then at the end when Ash was carrying Pikachu in his arms and it licked him on the face, it was so heartwarming. I loved it!

Pokemon is one of those happy, feel-good shows, that just warms your heart. From the characters themselves, to the funny dialogue, from the main storyline (Ash's goal of becoming a Pokemon Master), to the close relationship that each of the characters (both human and Pokemon) have with one another - it's all of these wonderful aspects, and even more, that come together to make Pokemon such an awesome show for everyone.

I definitely have to admit that Jessie, James, and Meowth make this a funny show. Usually they're the ones that comes up with the most stupid but funny things to say. I don't know how many times I just burst out laughing at their stupidity. But of course Ash is very funny as well and Misty and Brock could play well on a lot of things Ash said.

And personally, when I watch the 4Kids dub, I really do feel like I'm traveling with Ash on his journey, and watching him have all these amazing experiences. When you think about it, we get to see Ash in every mood, and whether he's feeling happy, angry, sad, cheerful, or determined - for me, it's that emotion which brings him to life every single time. And this isn't just the case for Ash, but for all the other characters as well.

YES! I totally agree with you here Lisa. I love seeing Ash in all sorts of moods because it makes him seem so real! Once again I'll refer back to Pokemon 4Ever when Celebi died and Ash was crying, that was teh pwn! Veronica Taylor did such a great job with putting that much emotion into Ash that it seemed so real! In fact it was so moving that I could even feel my heart breaking the first time I saw that. And of course anytime Ash was in a playful mood or something and he'd giggle! I love that so much! <33333 Then of course when he was worried about something like Pikachu being sick or stolen, he was so emotionally torn during those times. I could really feel what Ash was feeling, no matter what mood he was in. What I liked about Pokemon is that it didn't seem rushed, you could tell a lot of time and heart was put into the show by everyone. That's one of the main reasons I love Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom