• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How often do y'all talk to your online friends?

chocovelvetcake

Your local cake lover ~ ♡
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Tbh, I hardly ever talk to my online friends outside of discord servers. It's very rare for me to hop onto one of my online friends DMs and chat with them, even if they're on my discord friends list. It just feels kinda weird for me to just simply chat with my discord buddies in the DMs and talk about how our day was and stuff. We'd be lucky to even chat with each other at least once a month lol.

I also take time zones into consideration, since some of my online friends live on the opposite side of the earth. I have a couple of online friends whose time zones are way ahead of mine. For example, I'm in the CST time zone. If I had an online friend who lives in Australia (which I do), their time zone could be as close as 14 hours ahead of me if they're in AWST or as far as a whopping 17 hours ahead of me if they're in AEDT, depending on where they live in Australia.

Sometimes, I feel the urge to hop onto my online friends DMs, only to back down because I have no idea if they'll be up to chat with me because they might to way too busy with stuff. And for all I know, they could be fast asleep while I'm going by my day (bc time zones) and vice versa. I mean, imagine how awkward it'll be to wish your online friend a happy birthday or merry christmas when it's not even your friend's birthday or christmas yet or it's already over on either end's time zone.

Last edited:
I don't have online friends like I used to do back in high school/uni years. Life drifted us apart and everyone focuses on their personal lives now. I used to follow some of them on social media but even then it feels quite a bunch disconnected. I created a new Instagram profile with less people closer to me following me and vice versa. I have one friend though that I still actively keep talking and we text each other daily and meet once or twice a year.

Oh man I used to talk to my online friends, specifically Bulbagarden friends, ALL the time. A bunch of us had a Skype group chat (lol remember Skype? I remember Skype.) and we would talk every day and have voice calls pretty frequently. As I've gotten older I talk to online friends MUCH less frequently, minus the ones who actually graduated to IRL presences rather than just online. Those I speak to more regularly. There are a few others I still talk with on occasion, but sadly I've lost contact with a good number of them. Which makes me pretty sad but like, what can I do about it, you know? It is what it is.

Online friends? Only online friends I have are here, and I don’t talk to them a lot personally, but we are trying to talk more in pms! (Or as least I am)
Lol I don't normally talk to people on PMs on Bulbagarden, tbh. Chances are if anyone here were to slide into my PMs on here, there's a very slim chance I'd actually respond to it (or at least right away, since I'm hardly active on this site). The only ppl who've PM'd me here are a few staff members.

Ig I'm not really used to receiving PMs from ppl, even from friends bc weird as this might sound, I get jumpscares whenever I receive messages and notifications from ppl in my PMs. I'm a very shy person irl, and I'm not really the best at communicating with ppl.

Honestly not often. I only talk to one person often enough in 1:1 Discord DMs but otherwise it's mostly through server chats, or just once in a while if 1:1. I'm also in Australia now so getting together with people to play games is much harder since most/all of them are in the US or Canada lol.

I'm also in Australia now so getting together with people to play games is much harder since most/all of them are in the US or Canada lol.
Time zones can be a pain in the ass if you're wanting to play some games with your online friends, only to find out that your friends are about to go to bed soon while your going about your day (and vice versa).

Unless if your American and Canadian friends are night owls who like to stay up all night, you'd probably wouldn't be able to play games with them, since most of, if not all, your friends in America and Canada would be fast asleep. And by the time they're waking up, you'd be getting ready for bed. Talk about frustrating. :bulbaFacepalm:

This video pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
I talk to a few people on Discord, but not everyday because work and being tired after work. It's become less common that I can just sit down and have long active conversations with people. On here I have only one friend I think, and that's Herbizzarre! I'm not really sure how to make friends tbh. I also don't wanna bother people who are shy-

Usually I only talk to online friends when one messages me first. So basically how often I talk to them varies. My biggest worry is that I tend to talk too much due to my lack of experience with socializing, because my Autism. They are times I'll message them first though if I have something I really like to talk about right away. For the most part I just don't want to come across as a clingy nutjob.

My biggest worry is that I tend to talk too much due to my lack of experience with socializing, because my Autism. They are times I'll message them first though if I have something I really like to talk about right away. For the most part I just don't want to come across as a clingy nutjob.
This is me except I worry about talking too little because of my autism and anxiety. Plus, I get really nervous when it comes to talking to ppl in PMs, even if it's my friends or family members. I try to talk as much as possible so it doesn't look like I'm ghosting them.

I actually have a discord server with some of my irl friends and some online friends. We all have an awesome time and call regularly! After a bunch of drama about dreams long lost sis- I mean Yami doing bad stuff, all of the group became better friends without Noah, Yami, and Emily. I’ll spoiler what Yami did so you can see how bad the drama was.

She groomed a 11 yr old and groped and sexually assaulted one of her old friends. She’s now manipulating Noah and Emily so they defend her with their life. Yami is bad.

I actually have a discord server with some of my irl friends and some online friends. We all have an awesome time and call regularly! After a bunch of drama about dreams long lost sis- I mean Yami doing bad stuff, all of the group became better friends without Noah, Yami, and Emily. I’ll spoiler what Yami did so you can see how bad the drama was.

She groomed a 11 yr old and groped and sexually assaulted one of her old friends. She’s now manipulating Noah and Emily so they defend her with their life. Yami is bad.
Oh crap...that sounds pretty bad.

I remember having this one Discord friend who was very toxic.

I first met Maple in the Cookie Run: Kingdom wiki. Along with some of my other friends, whom I also met on the wiki, used to chat in a Discord group chat. Maple was obsessed with Affogato Cookie. Like, really obsessed. He would ship himself with Affogato Cookie (mind you, Maple is a minor and Affogato Cookie is an adult), and just about any Affogato Cookie ship that wasn't him X Affogato Cookie was considered "triggering" to him (istg I'm not even joking). I was too scared about talking Maple about his unhealthy obsession with Affogato Cookie, as I didn't want our friendship to be in jeopardy. Maple has had a rough home life, and iirc he was being abused by his parents. I remember one time, Maple was contemplating suicide, and me and my friends in the group chat were telling him not to kill himself. After that, Maple DM'd me, thanking me for telling him not to commit suicide and that he went by masculine pronouns because I accidentally used feminine pronouns.

Maple was known to be very manipulative towards some of the CRK wiki users, including some good friends of mine. He lied to me and my friends about getting hacked and he even blamed one of my friends for "causing issues" on his mental health. Like, wtf? Needless to say, he ended up getting banned from the Cookie Run: Kingdom for constantly making off-topic posts about personal validation (his account also got disabled). He would constantly make vent posts about how he was going to leave the wiki, only to come back and tell everyone that he's fine. Thanks to Maple, I can't even look at Affogato Cookie the same way because everytime I think about Affogato Cookie, I think of Maple. I don't talk to Maple anymore, since I blocked him on Discord, YouTube, Twitter, and just about every social media he has.

somewhat often? i do have some 1-on-1 conversations with some friends, but otherwise it's usually in friend group servers. i should talk to them more often, but my work schedule makes that rather difficult these days. @_@ hoping for things to settle over the next few weeks so i can have some schedule stability and be less drained and more motivated to talk with people...

It's a mix as of late.

I use online stuff like Discord more often now since I have no IRL friends anymore outside of work and I don't even know if I considered them friends yet with the two main people I talked to at work. But even then with all my online communities I'm in now (it's gone up a lot since March/April this year due to shit), I still feel kinda just the outsider most of the time so due to some stuff I just lower my activity some times.

Used to a lot way back, but I don't talk to many people anymore. Not even for any real reason and certainly not by any fault of my old or current friends; I'm just so bad at keeping up with people, and I get super overwhelmed easily with conversations. Like I have to be in just the right mindset to respond, even when I legitimately want to. And I have to take breaks a lot and can't really respond in real-time because that's a bit much for me. Discord is kinda a big "no" for me because of that. And I definitely can't do more than a one-on-one at this point.

Which, I know, makes me a huge pain in the butt to converse with lol. On top of the fact that it takes me a loooooooong time to get legitimately comfortable talking to a person. if you let me talk your ear off about my favorite characters, though, I'll love you

anyway, tl;dr I do not talk to online friends very often even if deep down I'd like to, because I've got some issues when it comes to being able to keep up with socializing.

Back
Top Bottom