• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How should Pokemon cries sound?

How should Pokémon cries sound?

• Anime cries, i.e. Pokémon say their names.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Realistic animal sounds.

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Pokémon cries are fine as is.

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Some combination of the above options.

Votes: 6 14.0%

• Total voters
You wouldn't have to hire anyone to make the game cries more like the anime. The dubbing companies already have stock sounds of every Pokemon to date. You would only have to use that recording like you would with the pre-existing game cries. There would be little, if no additional costs to this.
I'm pretty sure you would still have to pay the VAs for their work. Hiring someone to give a voice for an anime character doesn't necessarily mean you have license to use that sound wherever you please.

I'm pretty sure you would still have to pay the VAs for their work. Hiring someone to give a voice for an anime character doesn't necessarily mean you have license to use that sound wherever you please.

The thing is: the next Pokemon game needs to have voice acting considering of the biggest criticisms for sword and shield were it's lack of VA. The game was designed to have voice acting, yet it didn't have one at all. And the only voice actors you would need to hire would be to voice new Pokemon. Not old ones, considering no added voicework needs to be done.

You wouldn't have to hire anyone to make the game cries more like the anime. The dubbing companies already have stock sounds of every Pokemon to date. You would only have to use that recording like you would with the pre-existing game cries. There would be little, if no additional costs to this.

Uh; I'm not sure what rights voice actors have, but I don't know if you could do that without paying royalties or anything. Plus, if they make a new game with new pokemon, they'd have to hire voice actors because there is no anime yet.

Edit: never mind; I'm late to the response.

Also, not quite a point in any direction, but does anyone else feel like Charizard and Ditto come just shy of saying their name in their cries?

I also feel this about HootHoot

The thing is: the next Pokemon game needs to have voice acting considering of the biggest criticisms for sword and shield were it's lack of VA.
That was the biggest criticism? The main things I kept seeing over and over were the dex cut and the graphic quality. The only time I ever saw criticisms about voice acting was in reference to the scene with Piers, not the whole game/
The game was designed to have voice acting, yet it didn't have one at all.
Was this confirmed somewhere? Because I really don't see how the game seems designed to have voice acting any more than any other Pokemon game.
And the only voice actors you would need to hire would be to voice new Pokemon. Not old ones, considering no added voicework needs to be done.
But you would need to pay for the rights to use it, and you'd need someone to check the quality of them.

That was the biggest criticism? The main things I kept seeing over and over were the dex cut and the graphic quality. The only time I ever saw criticisms about voice acting was in reference to the scene with Piers, not the whole game/

Was this confirmed somewhere? Because I really don't see how the game seems designed to have voice acting any more than any other Pokemon game.

But you would need to pay for the rights to use it, and you'd need someone to check the quality of them.

You don't start a game off with Leon introducing himself with lip flaps and all, but not have voice acting in mind. Sword and Shield were rushed for release (I will always defend this) and I believe Gamefreak would have added voice acting had they had more time.

You don't start a game off with Leon introducing himself with lip flaps and all, but not have voice acting in mind. Sword and Shield were rushed for release (I will always defend this) and I believe Gamefreak would have added voice acting had they had more time.
I would argue that if a developer really had voice acting in mind, they wouldn't make the majority of their game's dialogue in the same format as their previous games that lacked dialogue.

Also, why would time be an issue for voice acting? The lines of dialogue are already written, and they'd be hiring new employees to voice act the lines, not giving a larger workload to current employees.

Uh... I have seen other games that do this and not necessarily have voice acting (or prominent one, anyway).

It's 2020. Can you think of any Major RPG or JRPG that doesn't have voice acting? Frankly, Ohmori's explanation as to why there isn't voice acting was appalling

" “if you’ve got a voice on that character that instantly provides to the player an image, a feel for that character that they don’t generate themselves, it’s pushed on them from the development side. Whereas if we have really flavourful text, for those characters, but no voice the players can kind of create their own image of who that character is as they’re playing.”

This is legitimately one of the worst reasons as to why voice acting shouldn't be in a video game. Again, it's 2020. Every major game has voice acting. By the way: this is from the same developer that stated that there were no battle frontier because kids don't have time for it anymore. Gamefreak never ceases to bemuse me, but I do hope either Ohmori and Masuda wake up one day and realize that Pokemon needs modernization.

I like the voices in Pokken Tournament. They sound a-lot more natural to me than the whole "speaking their own name" thing. Of course Pikachu is an outlier, because Ikue Ohtani's voice has become so iconic (though she actually performs for Librechu at a different pitch since it's a girl, which is a really nice touch to distinguish the two).

Also, not quite a point in any direction, but does anyone else feel like Charizard and Ditto come just shy of saying their name in their cries?
When I was little, I tried to hear every Pokémon's names in their cries.

Also, for those of you saying they already have anime voices for all the Pokémon...
600px-233Porygon2.png

Can you think of any Major RPG or JRPG that doesn't have voice acting?
Paper Mario, Stardew Valley, Lisa, Undertale... It definitely strikes me as more of a stylistic choice than something I'd consider lacking in a game.
Again, it's 2020. Every major game has voice acting.
A lot of major games that do have voice acting don't even read every line, though. Most Mario games- Odyssey, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, etc, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Kirby...
" “if you’ve got a voice on that character that instantly provides to the player an image, a feel for that character that they don’t generate themselves, it’s pushed on them from the development side. Whereas if we have really flavourful text, for those characters, but no voice the players can kind of create their own image of who that character is as they’re playing.”

This is legitimately one of the worst reasons as to why voice acting shouldn't be in a video game.
That's really not that uncommon a philosophy. Some people enjoy that about other mediums, too, like preferring books to visual adaptations, or podcast creators intentionally leaving visual details out so listeners can imagine what they want. This is just a conscious choice to remove it rather than a limit of the medium.

Paper Mario, Stardew Valley, Lisa, Undertale... It definitely strikes me as more of a stylistic choice than something I'd consider lacking in a game.

A lot of major games that do have voice acting don't even read every line, though. Most Mario games- Odyssey, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion, etc, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Kirby...

That's really not that uncommon a philosophy. Some people enjoy that about other mediums, too, like preferring books to visual adaptations, or podcast creators intentionally leaving visual details out so listeners can imagine what they want. This is just a conscious choice to remove it rather than a limit of the medium.

That's a pretty selective choice considering 1 is a minor nintendo game, while the others are indie games. Zelda features voice acting (even though it didn't). Smash features voice acting. Mario features voice acting. Animal Crossing features voice acting (even though it's a little strange and it has no story at all). I will give Gamefreak the benefit of the doubt because Sword and Shield were their first HD games, but they have to realise it's 2021. You cannot get away with that anymore. I want Gamefreak to look at the Dragon Quest Model. Dragon Quest is a game designed by japanese devs (therefore they can compare themselves with this dev) and it's a game that is largely more modern than Sword and Shield. It features voice acting, orchestrated music, rid-able and overworld creatures, beautiful graphical fidelity. Dragon Quest is also the most like-for-a-like game there is out there and it runs on the switch. It's also less successful, therefore Budget isn't an excuse, and it's also more critically successful than Sword and Shield, meaning it's the perfect game for Gamefreak to reference. Hopefully they model their next game more closely to Dragon Quest and we can finally get a modern game. Of course this isn't a gen 9 prediction thread, but I really would like Gamefreak to adopt modern cries (Even if it's not from the anime) and voice acting as well.

Last edited:
Literally every game has done lip flaps since the jump to 3D. This ain't new.

That's a pretty selective choice considering 1 is a minor nintendo game, while the others are indie games.
I was just trying to think of popular RPGs off the top of my head lol. I listed the indie games because they're still pretty well-known, so it wasn't like I was hunting down something obscure like Crystal Monsters and holding it up as an example. Why don't you give a list yourself if you have a problem with my examples? You keep saying that "it's the modern standard", "every game does it", but you've only just now mentioned Dragon Quest as an example of an RPG that features voice acting, and you haven't listed any others.
Mario features voice acting.
Yes, but as I said in my post, Mario's "Hoo! Hah!" is not quite the same amount of voice acting as having an actor read dialogue, or even speaking a gibberish language like in the Sims or Animal Crossing. Also, even in Mario games, when there's actual dialogue from characters, like Cappy or Bowser, it's left as text on the screen.

Also, Smash's voice acting is largely because of the games it's featuring when it has dialogue. When there's a conversation between Pitt and Paulina, or between Snake and Otacon, they make the dialogue resemble the way it is in their games, but it's not like they gave Mario or Ness any major lines of dialogue.
I will give Gamefreak the benefit of the doubt because Sword and Shield were their first HD games, but they have to realise it's 2021. You cannot get away with that anymore
I mean, they got the fifth-best selling game on the Switch with that, so I don't really see how they're not getting away with it.
Dragon Quest is also the most like-for-a-like game there is out there and it runs on the switch. It's also less successful, therefore Budget isn't an excuse, and it's also more critically successful than Sword and Shield, meaning it's the perfect game for Gamefreak to reference.
That assumes Game Freak puts their focus on scoring from critics. As you said yourself, Dragon Quest is less successful. (Specifically, it's gotten about 1/3 the sales SwSh has) So why should they be modelling their game after something much less successful?

The name saying thing was probably a way to avoid having to give unique cries to each pokemon in the show and making it sound like a living creature. Instead of having to come up with a different sounding “meow” every time a new cat is introduced, just have it mewl its name every now and then and nobody will be confused.

That assumes Game Freak puts their focus on scoring from critics. As you said yourself, Dragon Quest is less successful. (Specifically, it's gotten about 1/3 the sales SwSh has) So why should they be modelling their game after something much less successful?

Um, because it's a better game? And every major publisher and the large majority of the fandom believe Dragon Quest is a far better game than Sword and Shield. Sales do not equal quality, and Sword and Shield is the perfect example of that.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom