• Saph continues his journey through Galar...or does he? Watch here to see if he ever realizes he hasn't taken down the Starting Soon screen.
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters! Click here to check out the event and sign up!

How the anime is dubbed

My Blue Sweetheart
Reaction score
I watched this today during a quick break from work. Really interesting! I had a basic idea of how dubbing was done, but I learned a lot more from this video. A nice, relatively quick watch to understand the process better.

Lets have a Blast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how its done in Japan but from what I've seen, you have more then 1 actor in the booth I think

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! In Mexico the dubbing process is very similar, the actors have to go to the studio on the assigned date and record their lines in a booth from the script previously done by the adaptator (which in Pokémon it's done by Lillie's actress, through it's very unusual case when an actor has also that job) and the director (Ash's actor, it's common that the director is someone from the cast but it's unusual that it's the protagonist) guides them with the expressions. The only difference is that when an actor plays 2+ characters in the same show he records the lines from both in the same session, an actor told me that a few years ago.

(◔_◔)
Reaction score
This seems kinda rehearsed but I guess it should be expected. IIRC don't the Japanese voice actors record their lines together in the same room? That seems easier than doing individual recording sessions.

I'm actually quite surprised that Ash is dubbed by a lady:lapras:
Wait, you didn't know that? I thought everyone who watched the dub knew considering that Sarah's been ruining voicing Ash since 2006. :x

Reaction score
IIRC don't the Japanese voice actors record their lines together in the same room? That seems easier than doing individual recording sessions.
It all depends on when the animation is done.

If animation is completed before voice work, then the actors can all sit in one room, looking at a screen, and do everything in one room. This allows for actors to bounce off each other since they are listening to each other act while seeing the characters on screen.

If animation is completed after voice work, then the animators often find themselves trying to match the actor.

It also depends on who is available

Reaction score
Wait, you didn't know that? I thought everyone who watched the dub knew considering that Sarah's been ruining voicing Ash since 2006. :x
I don't really think that's fair. Sarah does a pretty good job, and in my opinion is one of the only decent things about the dub (but that's an argument for another thread).

This is a pretty fascinating look into the dub. What I can't understand is why Vanity Fair has just sat on this for the past three years.

Reaction score
Wow Ash's voice actress looks way different than I remember. I used to follow her on Myspace like 12 years ago and she looks like a completely different person now. :eek:

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
It was a neat video, but did anyone else feel like that part at the end where she quotes that French actors' union just came out of nowhere? It 100% felt like they were like "OK, we don't have an ending for this thing, let's just say something that sounds pseudo-smart and call it a day." The whole thing felt stilted and awkward.

Who was that sitting next to Lisa Ortiz?

21 years...... Still here!
Reaction score
Wow Ash's voice actress looks way different than I remember. I used to follow her on Myspace like 12 years ago and she looks like a completely different person now. :eek:
Last I saw her was back in 2013 just before the XY games debuted. Man time flies indeed. Anyway, I do wonder if this video could be a sign that the dubbers would be more open to sharing with us more on how they dub the show/movies. In particular, Ed Goldfarb, I want to know how he does the musical scoring and any influences he uses while recording.

Reaction score
Who was that sitting next to Lisa Ortiz?
That's Chelsey Cohen I believe. She's been a recording engineer and production assistant for most of NYAV Post's recent dubs such as the Dragon Quest: Your Story movie for Netflix.