• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How the awards work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The New Awards System

Not bitching or anything but can we can some sort of justification for the format. A little why it's that way and what objectives are we trying to achieve through this format.

Yes, I agree with this.

You guys didn't like the last system. So it was changed.

Well, the whole Christmas Contest thing is something old that was already done before. It has real life prizes and the like, as far as I know (I wasn't here back then). Given this, we decided to not have Winter Awards.

The Awards themselves are made that way to deal with two things: those that complain the same fics keep winning over and over, and those that refuse to exclude fics that win over and over again. Spring and Autumn cover only six months each, and exclude each other's winners; this might increase readership of other stories, not to mention there is a lot more material to vote on in six months than in three.

The Summer Big Awards cover all the previous year entries, including winners from Spring and Autumn, and have as limit the previous Summer (for example, using my own fics, we have that Kisses won't be eligible for next Summer, but Vuvuzela will)

...any questions? (I'm in a hurry, so feel free to leave questions; I know I didn't answer all with my post)

Last edited:

Well, the whole Christmas Contest thing is something old that was already done before. It has real life prizes and the like, as far as I know (I wasn't here back then). Given this, we decided to not have Winter Awards.

The Awards themselves are made that way to deal with two things: those that complain the same fics keep winning over and over, and those that refuse to exclude fics that win over and over again. Spring and Autumn cover only six months each, and exclude each other's winners; this might increase readership of other stories, not to mention there is a lot more material to vote on in six months than in three.

The Summer Big Awards cover all the previous year entries, including winners from Spring and Autumn, and have as limit the previous Summer (for example, using my own fics, we have that Kisses won't be eligible for next Summer, but Vuvuzela will)

...any questions? (I'm in a hurry, so feel free to leave questions; I know I didn't answer all with my post)

So will this quarter's winners be excluded from the first round of awards under the new rules? Or will it start fresh?

So will this quarter's winners be excluded from the first round of awards under the new rules? Or will it start fresh?
We haven't yet decided on that. It's likely that winners of this cycle will be barred, since this cycle took place in the fall.

EDIT: Winners of this cycle cannot compete in the Spring Awards.

Last edited:

A question about Christmas contest:

I'm not actually Christian, so can a winter story be entered? I feel that a Christmas contest is not fair to people of other faiths...

A question about Christmas contest:

I'm not actually Christian, so can a winter story be entered? I feel that a Christmas contest is not fair to people of other faiths...
Approaching this from a personal angle (not as a mod), do you have any celebration in winter you could write about instead? It would be cool to have other options around :)

We say Christmas because the contests have been traditionally Christmas ones. But if you wanna write a Hanukkah/Kwanza/Winter Solstice-themed one-shot, feel free.

Closing. Please move all discussion to the general discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom