• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 100

Chapter Twenty Nine: The Bronzed and the Bothersome
Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 28

@Alaskapigeon@WinterVines

Chapter Twenty Nine: The Bronzed and the Bothersome

Of all of the new cities and places Alaska had visited, Vermilion had to be the most beautiful yet.

It had fully embraced its coastal setting whilst retaining a professional, economic stronghold that allowed it to combine Pewter's seriousness with Cerulean's laid back appeal. As Alaska was wheeled from the Vermilion Hospital, a tall white building quite close to the harbour, she was able to look around and fully absorb things. The buildings to her right varied from family businesses with cartoon signs and coastal themes to low rise office buildings containing department stores and fancy businesses. It was quite funny how well the two went together, and the businessmen in their tuxedos were moving from their dull grey buildings to the more colourful cafés and restaurants nearby.

To the right was a scene that was completely the opposite, yet far more enchanting than anything on land could possibly have.

Alaska had been down to Pallet Town several times during her life to see the sea, and had always been overwhelm by the wide expanse of blue, usually still and unmoving but sometimes roaring with waves twice her height. It had always seemed like a magical place where you could go and escape all your worries, she had always enjoyed diving in and letting the cool water wash over her, leaving her calm and relaxed no matter what had happened.

But Pallet Town had always been restricted by the land that jutted out and blocked most of the view, and Alaska and her siblings had never been allowed to venture any further beyond. Yet Alaska had to make Steven stop pushing her, just to give her time to absorb in the scene around her.

At Vermilion, it seemed the water would stretch on for all eternity. Land that made up Fuchsia City was far away in the distance, leaving a large harbour of pure blue that went out as far as land to left and the Cycling Road to the right allowed. Water Pokemon danced along the surface in packs, with Gyarados leaping high into the sky as Goldeen and Seaking skimmed through the water. It looked cool and inviting, and Alaska could imagine herself diving beneath the surface and allowing all of her pains, both physical and emotional, seeping away.

They continued to travel, and Alaska was allowed to see more of the coastal landscape. Vermilion had the largest industrial and commercial port in Kanto, and the large concrete pathways stuck out amongst the cobbled footpaths and red brick roads. The ports managed the fresh, new look light concrete always seemed to give, which was helped by three very modern cranes at one end and a flash, mostly glass building that served as a ferry and cruise terminal. There were no ships anywhere at the moment, but the more Alaska and Steven moved into the city the more private vessels appeared, ranging from small motorboats to gigantic super yachts that probably cost more than everything in Alaska's house added together.

The heart of the city showed the same variety of buildings, though there were more towering structures here that were enclosed by the surrounding cliffs, which Steven said was so the people on the hotel floors wouldn't be disturbed by the noises of the harbour. There were more people moving around her, many of them carrying large shopping bags from a nearby row of stores, each of the people having distinct signs that marked them out as tourists: more festive, relaxed clothing, different accents, pointing out various places and taking pictures. Each tourist seemed different, yet there was one thing Alaska noted about them that made her heart sink: each one of them had a smile on their faces.

"Shall we take a short break?" Steven asked suddenly. Alaska had become lost in thought, wondering about the blue flashes, deep voice and strange silhouette that had appeared in her dream. She hadn't even focused on time, but her stomach let out a rumble that made Steven laugh.

"I guess having a break couldn't hurt," Alaska said with a smile. The main road through the heart of the city, which Steven had explained as being this width to allow container trucks to pass through, was dotted with various stalls and carts selling food. Steven got several shocked gasps from a group of Hoenn tourists as he brought two cartons of hot chips to share with Alaska, but he simply flashed them a smile before leading Alaska down a side road.

"Why did you give up being Champion?" Alaska asked as Steven lead her towards a large bare area with a hole dug roughly in the middle. Steven let out a sort of longing sigh, but didn't answer until he had led Alaska to a wooden park bench facing towards the hole, which Alaska was presuming as being foundations.

"I don't want to dishearten you from carrying on with your journey, nor am I making this up as some sort of scheme that we 'elites' are using against you," Steven said, making Alaska smirk slightly, "but being a Champion is just not that fun. I enjoyed it for the first few years, but I was at the mercy of the Hoenn League Council: I couldn't do or say what I wanted in case it caused a controversy, I was always having to do interviews and make public appearances, I was always being hunted down for my opinion or asked to endorse something. All I wanted to do was battle and continue to learn and test my skills, and I wanted to make a change in the world. The only things I was learning was how being a Champion is really a business than it is fun, and I was only making a change in the world of designer fossil tools." Alaska let out a laugh that quickly turned into yet another cough and made her feel light headed, though it covered up the worries seeping through her: she had heard many times that being Champion wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but she longed for the day where she could stand in the Hall of Fame and see her name permanently there in gold. Yet… how would she feel in several years time?

"Now, as you asked me a question, I feel I should get a chance," Steven said once Alaska had recovered and he had somehow elegantly eaten through his chips. "You seem to dislike the fact that we are all reading your blog: what exactly is the problem with that?" Alaska spent a few moments chewing a single chip, wondering how to word things.

"It feels like I am being spied upon," she said at last. "I am writing my blog to share it with the world and to allow myself to one day look at and examine my journey. I never imagined it would end up this colourful, but I do enjoy the attention I am getting. But I just don't like how I am the one that has to report the news, and it is putting pressure on me to continue to be the one to report this, and that if I don't tell the world what is happening, than bad things could keep happening. I sort of feel a bit like Peter Parker," Alaska added, and Steven took his turn to laugh.

"I guess that is fair," he said after a few moments. "I must admit that Oak, Bill, Elm, Fuji, Red, all of us have begun to expect you to rely the details. I spoke to Bill last night and I warned him about us putting too much pressure on you, trying to make you into the next Red or the next Brendan or Charles – we put too much pressure on the young ones to do all the work for us." Alaska nodded along, a burning question forming in her head, but she paused as Steven seemed to be lost in thought. She stared down into the hole, noticing a frail old man barking orders a Machoke, though she couldn't hear the words due to how far down he was.

"Why were you talking to Bill?" Alaska asked finally, trying to make it sound innocent but was afraid her curiosity was slipping in. However, Steven didn't even seem to notice and needed a prod from Alaska to come around.

"Oh, nothing overly important," Steven said with a shrug. "He just wanted to know if some of my research had to do with some blue lightning bolt yesterday, but there are always weird things where he is concerned. Though after what happened with Cla –," Steven froze at this point as Alaska had dropped her carton of chips, staring at the aging man with a look as if he had just slapped her. "Dear, is something wrong?" Alaska wanted to ask a million questions: what was his research, what had happened with who, was Bill worried about it. But just as she went to ask them, a piece of orchestral music began to chime, though it sounded robotic and overly quiet. Steven reached into a pocket of his velvet jacket and pulled out a grey PokeGear which he flipped open.

"Hello?" He said, leaving Alaska hanging and staring mournfully down at her spilt chips. "Oh that is good news… Miss Samson has them all? … Yes, that is fine, we'll go and see her now… Alaska is fine, thank you for asking… alright, good bye now!"

"I take it that involved me?" Alaska asked, and Steven nodded as he put the device away and stood up.

"Sandy has collected your Pokemon, so we are going to meet her at Vermilion Gym," Steven explained, ignoring the hot chips as he spun Alaska's wheelchair around, making sure her black bag was still in place in a slot under the seat, and began to push her back around the edge of the foundations. "The foundations are going along nicely, wouldn't you agree?"

"What does Bill think caused the blue lightning?" Alaska asked.

"Oh Alaska dear, I wouldn't want to burden you with information you shouldn't have to worry about," Steven replied casually, shocking Alaska: she had thought Steven was much more honest and forthcoming with information than Bill had been, but it seemed he was drawing a line and Alaska wouldn't be able to cross it. She wanted to push the subject more, but her head was beginning to throb and all Alaska felt like doing was enjoy getting pushed wheeled around, not wanting to worry about anything else. Steven seemed contempt with not pushing her and fell silent as well, and the two moved on peacefully, the only thing breaking it being the frail old man in the foundations yelling "We're ten years behind schedule, so if we're going to get this house built anytime soon we'd better get a bloody move on!"

***​

Despite the size of the city and how it was all fairly spread out, all of the Pokemon related areas had been crammed together on one road.

Steven carted Alaska across the main road, which had died down with people as they all settled down for lunch, giving Alaska a clear view of a giant container ship moving towards the three cranes. But than the ocean was cut out as they entered the road nicknamed 'Pokemon Lane'. It was thinner than the main road but was wider than the one Alaska and Steven had just gone down. On one side was the PokeMart, giving Alaska a bit of nostalgia for simpler days working at the Viridian branch, and the other was the orange roofed Pokemon Center. There were a variety of stores around, ranging from a store titled 'The Fishing Brothers' to a Pokemon Fan Club with its adjoining store. Alaska was intrigued by all of this, but all of that changed one she set eyes upon the Vermilion City Gym.

She knew it was an Electric based gym, but Alaska had never expected what appeared at the end of the road: it was huge, not as big as the Cerulean Gym but looked as if the Pokemon Center and PokeMart could all fit in there. It had a glass dome that Alaska bet was retractable, and the rest of the building was made from yellow reflective glass that went around the entire building, joined together by the huge orange concrete frames. A flashing electronic PokeBall was built directly over the sliding doors, and Alaska was left in awe as it flashed yellow and released cartoon sparks that looked extremely 3-D. It was a gym that wanted you to come across as both flashy but strong and intimidating at the same time, and Alaska wondered what Lt. Surge would be like in person.

"Do you want to go in?" Steven said the first words either of them had seen for over five minutes. "It is a bit flashy in there and it won't do well for your headache." Alaska was lost in a trance at the sparkling gym, but snapped out of it and turned to face Steven.

"I want to see my Pokemon," she said firmly. "It feels like I abandoned them back there, and I want to see them and see how they are." Steven nodded with a knowing expression, and he pushed Alaska towards the doors. They slid open when they were a metre away, and Alaska gasped at the world they were entering.

Just like how Pewter had had sand and stones, and Cerulean had had a pool, Vermilion continued the theme of basing its gym around its type. The floor was made from orange tiles that glowed electronically, and the walls were a matching colour, not showing any sign of the outside world. Lights were built around the dome, providing some much artificial light that it covered anything shining through the dome. Alaska looked up and could see clouds and shaded blue through the black glass, but it strained her neck and made her head throb so she focused on the area in front of her. Though she was stunned to see how bare it all was: in front of her was simply an empty use of land, though Alaska could see several doors at the end that must lead towards offices. Retractable stands were built into the wall, and large poles containing plasma orbs flashed high above them. It seemed to Alaska that the gym was designed to look good rather than to be practical, unlike the previous two, and was rather unimpressed.

"I bet this place has one fucking huge electricity bill," Alaska said, and Steven roared with laughter, a noise that echoed all around. It seemed that this had finally alerted anyone inside to their presence, and Alaska was pleased to see Sandy burst through the door at the end, curving around the side of the gym and running at full pelt.

"Ooooooooh Alaskaaaaaa!" Sandy cried, rushing forwards and flinging her arms around Alaska, nearly knocking her backwards off the chair. "I thought you were going to die, I was so worried, and than the police made me talk to them and all I could think about was wheter you were going to live or not and I am so sorry!"

"Why, it wasn't your fault," Alaska said, giving her friend a hug and reassuring pat. "I should be the one to apologise!" Alaska wasn't sure what she would apologise for, but she had always seen people saying they'd take the blame and felt as if Sandy would be reassured by it. Sandy continued to sob, so Alaska didn't notice as someone else approached them.

"You SHOULD apologize!" Someone snapped alongside, and Alaska looked around in surprise as Mitchell stood next to her, currently the same height as her as she remained in her seat. He wore a smug look on his face whilst his eyes were wide and staring at her, almost as if he was expecting something. Alaska was stunned to see him here, but quickly realized what he wanted an apology for.

"You switched my brain with a Pidgeotto," she snapped, "and I nearly got blown up yesterday. I'm not in the mood to deal with you, so you can kiss my arse if you think I am going to forgive you." Mitchell tutted and stared defiantly at Alaska, as if his bug-eyed expression was meant to change her mind. Alaska simply raised a hand and gave him the finger, wearing a warm smile on her face.

"Fine then, be that way!" Mitchell huffed. "And I wouldn't want to go anywhere near your flabby bum! It's probably all covered in skid marks and smells disgusting."

"Ah, the immaturity of youth," Alaska said with a smile that made Mitchell tut again, and Sandy pulled out of the hug laughing, despite the tears pouring down her face. "So how did you make it here?"

"I made it through the tunnel before you blew it up!" Mitchell said with a sneer as he folded his arms up to his chest and stared up at the dome. "Lt. Surge wouldn't battle me though because he had to deal with the explosion, so thanks a bunch Avocado!"

"Your welcome rat face," Alaska replied, and Mitchell simply huffed and pouted. However, Alaska quickly went into thought: the ElecBot obviously hadn't appeared to cause any harm to Mitchell if he had gotten through unharmed, which meant that either it had been put in after he had gone through, which couldn't have been much earlier than her and Sandy, or it had been specifically put in to go after them.

"Your Pokemon are all safe," Sandy said as she wiped back tears, and she fished around in her satchel and pulled out the balls containing Paige and Nadia. "They are all better, though the nurse said Nadia shouldn't do anything rigorous until her cut has properly healed." Alaska nodded and took them back, smiling encouragingly up at Sandy who looked close to tears once more.

"Thank you, I really appreciate it," Alaska said. "You saved me from being killed by the ElecBot, so let's just focus on that, alright? It's behind us now, we can focus on the future now." Sandy nodded, clearly cheered up by this and made Alaska feel better, even though she could feel Steven staring at her and knew deep down that the bombing wasn't behind her until she knew exactly what had happened. But luckily no one noticed her expression, and as a loud bang suddenly cut through the building.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the famous Alaska Acevedo," a heavily accented, very deep voice boomed around them, drawing everyone's attention to the speaker.

Alaska had seen pictures of Lt Surge in magazines, but she was still surprised to see him in person: he was a giant, well above six feet tall, and was built up like a body builder. Bronzed, muscular arms the width of Alaska's body grew out of a tight fitting green singlet, showing off a pair of large pectoral muscles that if Alaska walked into would probably split the other side of her head open. His camouflage pants hung loosely, but Alaska could only imagine the powerful leg muscles flexing with every step. A thick pair of black sunglasses disguised most of his face, but Alaska knew it was the rugged, handsome face of a soldier, though his shining white smile was smug and superior. Alaska examined him, from his tanned head with stubble-like blonde hair down to his thick leather boots: whilst he was like a wrestler and super model rolled into one, there was an arrogant air around him that annoyed Alaska before he had even walked over to her.

"So you're the one that nearly got blown up, eh?" Lt. Surge said once he had reached them and stared down at Alaska, removing his glasses to get a better look. "Brock, Misty and Clyde all told me about your skills, so I guess if you're handicapped I'll have a better chance!" He let out a machine gun laugh at the joke, but Alaska simply scowled at him, not finding the joke funny though her suspicions of his arrogance were confirmed. She didn't have any idea who Clyde was, but her scowling thoughts were interrupted as Steven walked around. He had remained silent during all this time that it wasn't a surprise he hadn't been noticed, and Sandy suddenly gasped and pointed at him, giving Alaska a stunned look.

"Now Surge, surely you can be a bit more considerate," Steven said in a tone that was both friendly but ice cold and cut the well built man off in his tracks. He took his glasses completely off and stared down at Steven with piercing green eyes.

"I'm allowed a little joke, aren't I?" Surge grunted. "Besides, if I was considerate to everyone than no one would fear me, and what is a gym leader without a little bit of fear in all the trainer's minds, eh?" He then turned towards Alaska, though his eyes focused more on the chair. "Look kid, I've heard you're a good trainer and I feel bad and all that about what happened in the tunnel, but all my staff are at a swimming competition along the Boardwalk so I'm a bit busy. Come back in when you're feeling better and I am sure I'll be ready to battle." Mitchell checked no one was watching him before giving Alaska a teasing face and poked his tongue, but Alaska didn't have time to be annoyed as she glared up at the muscular gym leader.

"Do you think I am only going to be able to fight when I am not injured?" She snapped. "I am a purely competent trainer, thank you very much: not many people are going to take on a robot in a dark tunnel, are they?" Surge tutted and bent down low to face Alaska, their noses only a few centimetres apart.

"I've done worse than face down a little toy in a dark passageway when I was fighting in the war," the gym leader growled, his accent becoming harder to understand as he angrily slurred his words. "I would gladly take you on and wipe the floor with you, but I wouldn't feel right about beating a poor little girl." Alaska always struggled with holding back her rage, and now was no different: Surge cried out as Alaska swung her head forwards, head butting the leader and making him leap backwards. Steven gasped while Sandy timidly clapped her hands.

"I may be in a wheelchair, but I will gladly take you on!" Alaska growled, grabbing one of her PokeBalls and raising it up. "Steven can referee for us if he doesn't mind, and then I will show you what I am truly capable of!" As she spoke, Alaska wondered if battling in her condition was the best idea, especially with no extra training for her team. However, Surge stared down at her as he rubbed his head and began to laugh.

"Alright then Miss Acevedo," the tanned gym leader replied, putting emphasis into each syllable of Alaska's name, "let us see if you are as big of a challenge as my colleagues seem to think." He grabbed a remote out of his shorts and pointed it at the empty field. There was a shudder that shook the whole building, and Alaska watched as certain tiles began to rise up. "First, you will get through the Mine Field, and than we will battle." Alaska had no idea what the Mine Field was and watched with dread and regret as objects rose up from the ground, sparks already beginning to fly.

Vermilion Arc wraps up in the next round of chapters, but there will be a short break to write the final Kris vs Gold and the first of the Kanto series in 2008 The First Warriors, a rewrite of Red vs Leaf that I am doing mostly so the original ties in better with this series, so look out for it!

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 29

Would it be bad to say that you described Surge exactly as I expected you to xD but it was a still a pretty good chapter, sadly I don't really have much to elaborate on except that you had a really good description but in retrospective not a lot happened in this chapter.

I have a feeling people are beginning to expect my gym leaders to all be the same :p I can safely say that a few of them are going to be surprises, and one is going to a completely new gym leader. And yes, it was fairly dull but they aren't all going to be actiony :p This was more about setting the plot up and showing more of Alaska's questioning about the path of her quest, as well as setting up for an exciting final three chapters of the Vermilion Arc ;)

Chapter Thirty: Oh Zap!

Chapter Thirty: Oh Zap!

"I may not know my gym leader's Alaska, but from what I can tell, this guy is a bit of a dick."

"Thanks for that professional evaluation, but I have already figured that," Alaska said with a nod, staring at the gym leader from across the field: he was sitting on a leather chair with a smug look on his face, staring over at Alaska with a look that said 'Hurry up and fail so I can leave.' Alaska gladly would have rolled over there and dealt to him if it hadn't been for the two electric bolts between him and the rest of the gym.

Before her were twenty large poles that were tall, sleek and rather stylish, each one topped off with a giant red metal ball and several other pieces of metal, designed to unleash and collect electricity. Four bigger ones with more balls stood in the corners, and would produce electricity between one another once Alaska entered the main twenty. The aim was to find two switches: one would turn the four big ones off, and than Alaska had to find the second one straight away that would turn off the ones keeping Surge at bay. If she got the second one wrong, the whole thing would reset, and Surge had said that other non-dangerous things would happen if she got other switches wrong.

Alaska didn't want to take part in a little game where she was forced to think on her feet and try and twenty different switches while Surge watched from his seat, but he said it was part of his rules and Steven confirmed that it was official. She didn't like it, but if Alaska was going to battle Surge it had to be done.

"I am serious Alaska," Sandy said as she helped Alaska get out of the chair. "I've been here for a while and he's spent most of it telling me that travelling just to go travelling is a waste and kept trying to battle me until I send Onix out and a window out." Alaska laughed but than winced as she got to her feet: it felt painful standing on her legs, but it wasn't unbearable and Steven had brought a cane along to help. The ex Champion and Mitchell sat on the stands to the left, and Sandy planned on joining them after Alaska was sorted.

"Are you going to be alright?" Sandy asked nervously, pausing in passing Alaska's bag across.

"I will be fine," Alaska said firmly, not wanting to appear weak. She snatched the bag and swung it across her arm and grabbed the cane, even using it to push the wheelchair backwards out of reach. She smiled widely at Sandy who remained nervous, and tried not to let the pain of her current headache get across.

"Yes Xandy: Alaska here is a tough old bitch that doesn't need help, isn't she?" A voice said above, and Alaska looked around angrily as a robotic laugh echoed high above them.

"Not this bastard again!" Alaska hissed, swinging her cane madly to try and spot where it was coming from. The voice simply continued to laugh and Sandy had to hold onto Alaska as her legs gave way. "Who are you? Why do you keep following me?"

"Following you?" The voice scoffed. "Don't flatter yourself darling, I wouldn't dare follow you around! Can't you put the pieces together?"

"What pieces?" Alaska asked, and the voice continued to laugh.

"A brilliant battler but a simple mind," he scoffed. "My name is Clyde, and I am the security system that operates in every gym throughout Kanto, Johto and several facilities in Sevii. Unfortunately for you, they thought I needed a personality to make me more lively, so sucks to be you." Alaska was annoyed at being mocked, but felt more relieved: she had expected the voice to belong to some sort of cyber stalker.

"Why Clyde?" Sandy asked. "Kind of a silly name for a computer."

"It stands for Computerized League Institute Defence Enforcer thank you very much!" Clyde snapped back, and Alaska calmed down and began to smile, pleased to see the voice was getting annoyed now.

"Well I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got a puzzle to solve," Alaska said and began limping across. Sandy went to say something but Alaska held a hand up to stop her, simply shaking her head. "I'll be fine, I promise." Sandy looked uncertain, but nodded all the same. She grabbed the wheelchair and her bag and rushed over to join Steven and Mitchell as Alaska limped towards the entrance. She wasn't happy about having to do this challenge with her sore leg and injured head, but Alaska wasn't going to give Surge any satisfaction as she made her way forwards.

"You know what to do Alaska," Surge yelled from behind his barriers. "Find the switch that stops the barrier around you and than find the switch to stop the barrier in front of me directly afterwards. You are welcome to use any methods you want or you're Pokemon, but I don't see how they'll be any use," the leader added with a smirk. Alaska pulled a face that seemed to make him happier as he pressed a button: the four large poles began to shoot electricity between each other as levels that would prevent Alaska from leaving. "Your time starts now – GO!"

Alaska placed her bag down and began to think: she wished she had thought of a strategy earlier, but there was no time to waste about that and began to think quickly. Nadia was out of the question to help from her injury, there was a chance Paige could hit a bolt and Alaska may need her during the battle and Frances might get scared. Alaska knew Darwin wouldn't mind things as much, but she wasn't going to risk using him.
"Alright… let's just press buttons," Alaska thought, thinking it was simple enough. There was a white box on each pole with a chunky, dirty switch on it, the kind Alaska always say in buildings that were more than a few decades old. There was time to worry about things and Alaska set to work: she flicked a switch and looked around, seeing nothing had happened. She cursed but there were still 19 more to try: leave her bag there in order to mark one she had done, Alaska moved on to the next one. She tried the three nearest, but with each one nothing happened: no barriers came down, no added surprises appeared.

What's the bet none of these switches do anything? Alaska thought bitterly to herself, flicking another two nearby and getting nothing. She let out a growl and turned to see Surge smirking at her, making her further suspect something was up.

"You can do it Alaska! WOOOO!" Sandy called out. Alaska waved to absently to her in thanks before turning to the next switch, so bored that she whacked it with the stick. Suddenly, the entire floor shook. Alaska began to shake furiously, not helping either of her ailments, and had to lean against her the pole she'd just touched to support herself. Suddenly the other six she had already touched disappeared into the ground, as did another five. There was a whirring noise from below, only for the poles to reappear a few moments later. Alaska was stunned, wondering what that had been, but than it suddenly clicked.

"The poles I've already used have been switched to through me off," she voiced aloud, "or… that's what you want me to think." Surge's accent came out as he laughed deeply, leaving Alaska fuming: there was no way to tell which story it was, and the poles were identical. "Nice trick dick," she shouted and hobbled back to her bag, which she dragged and placed near the only she knew hadn't moved for certain. Surge's laughter echoed around and Alaska was getting annoyed, angrily slamming down another five switches nearby.

"This is just stupid and repetitive: what is the point of this other than amusing you?" Alaska snapped as she flicked another one, getting no result.

"I like to see how trainers act," Surge called out through his laughter. "I like to see what methods they use and their strategies. If someone can't cut it here, I generally send them back until they have the ability to face me again properly." Alaska wasn't going to admit it but did thinks this was a relatively sane idea to weed out who was not going to be successful, even if it was a rather mind twisting way.

"Well, rest assured I am not going to give up," Alaska said, flicking the nearest switch. She gasped with excitement as she saw the electricity disappear from around the corner, meaning she had found the first switch. Sandy looked up and clapped with delight, while Steven gave a sensible nod. Alaska punched the air in delight at this first victory, but than she realised the daunting task she had: now she had to find the second switch straight away, otherwise she the barrier would go back up and she'd be back to square one.

I really don't need this, Alaska thought grumpily as her head gave a throb, looking around for the second switch. The ones she had already pressed were behind her, leaving several ahead she hadn't ventured towards. Nervously, Alaska stepped up towards the nearest one, wonder if this was the right one or not, but realized she wouldn't find out unless she tried: fingers crossed, she reached out and flipped it.

"Bad luck!" Surge called as the ground began to rumble. Alaska swore loudly as the first barrier appeared again, but it was drowned out as every one of the twenty poles disappeared back into the ground. As they began whirring and switching around, Alaska noted her bag was about to fall through and hobbled over to grab it. She was furious at getting the wrong one, and stared up as the poles all rose up, every switch back to the up position, leaving Alaska with no hints. Just as things felt like they couldn't get any worse, Alaska's jaw dropped as the red balls began to spark. A few moments later, bolts of electricity began to arc between each ball, shooting off in all directions. Alaska had to shield her eyes from the brightness, but she realized that she was now trapped, with electricity to the sides and above.

"Bastard," she cursed, feeling close to collapsing onto the floor from the pain in her legs and the throbbing in her head. Surge was smirking and Alaska didn't really care, annoyed at this foul little trick of his. She wanted nothing more but to get back at him and play her only trick, but how…

"Maybe…," Alaska whispered, looking up at the poles. The plan was forming quickly in her mind and was terribly risky, but Alaska wasn't in the mood to think things through. "You said I could use Pokemon, right?" She called, and after getting a nervous nod from Surge she grabbed a PokeBall and rolled it forwards.

"PRIME APE APE!" Darwin yelled once he had formed, leaping around with excitement for several seconds before crashing into a pole and rolling backwards. He paused and looked curiously around at all the electricity over head and than over at Alaska, who was simply hoping her plan would work.

"Why did you send your Primeape out?" Steven called. "You told me earlier that he struggled to listen to you."

"He's my only chance on winning this," Alaska replied and then turned away from them, needing to focus. She grabbed one of Darwin's arms and looked him in the eye. "Look, you may not want to listen to me or obey orders, but I have one simple order for you: I want you to leap around and flick every single switch you find on or off, no matter what happens, alright?"

"Primey Prime," Darwin replied with a nod, a childlike sense of wonderment in his eyes as he thought of what he could do. Alaska gave him a smile back, hoping that he would simply stick to these orders.

"Don't touch the electricity though," Alaska said, and she moved back towards the general area where the first switch had been. "Alright Darwin: GO!" And with a single pounce Darwin leapt forwards, using his large hands to flick all the switches nearby. Alaska flicked the switch that should bring the barrier down and looked around to see nothing had happened. With a shrug she turned around to the next switch and tried that, just as Darwin went and hit two at one time, his arms stretching out.

"Wow, this certainly is a lot faster," Alaska boomed aloud with a cheesy grin. She saw Surge had gotten to his feet and she waved at him as she hit another two switches her cane.

"Be careful!" He yelled. "Pressing more than one switch could overload the system! It's already being pushed!" Alaska didn't know what this meant and looked around, nearly hitting Darwin as he flew by, and saw that the four larger poles were producing more and more electricity. Steven was even moving Sandy and Mitchell further up the stands away from it. Alaska didn't want to hurt them, but despite using Darwin the first barrier wasn't coming down.

"Overload the system…," Alaska mumbled, a second idea forming: this one was much riskier and could go seriously wrong, but Alaska knew it would take too long to find the right two switches. The second one could have already been hit but wasn't working as the first had to be down first. Trying to sort it out was wasting time Alaska's sore head didn't have, and she decided to do things her way.

"Let's say what you make of this strategy," Alaska yelled to Surge and she rammed her cane into the nearest switch box. The plastic was easily broken, exposing a series of wires underneath. "Darwin, get here!" She cried.

"What are you doing?" Surge yelled as Darwin swung around the poles as if they were trees.

"Using some initiative," Alaska shouted back before turning to Darwin. "Grab those wires and use ThunderPunch!" Surge and Steven both cried out, but Alaska ignored them as she dived behind her hairy Pokemon. Darwin pushed his gloved fist through the gap where the switch should and grasped onto the nearest wires. His fist began to glow yellow and instantly sparks began to fly out, the system overhead growing.

"PRIIIIIIIMEAAAAAAAAAPE!" He yelled, hair standing on end and the entire system pole beginning to shake. Alaska watched as more electricity arched overhead and surrounded her, and a slight turn revealed Surge was hiding behind his chair as the electricity around him grew. Alaska wasn't sure how things were going to end, but they didn't seem too bad at the moment.

Than they all exploded.

Alaska swore and covered her bag over head as the red balls of exploded. Sandy screamed as the lights flickered throughout the building, which for some reason began to whirr. Darwin still remained inside the pole as hot metal rained down upon them, and Alaska whacked his arm with her cane and pulled him backwards. The floor was shaking, some of the poles moving back into the ground only to come back up a moment later. Sparks shot up like fireworks from the destroyed poles, many of which were also glowing around their switch box, and Alaska moved as quickly as a bad leg would allow to escape before something bad happened.

It was only when she left the twenty poles did Alaska realise something else: the four larger poles had entirely exploded, sending glass, metal and wiring scattered across the room. Huge main pieces lay on the tiles, one of them crushing half of the stands. Lights continued to flicker on and off and the doors were opening without purpose.

"Well Darwin, I say that went well," Alaska said with a tired sigh and Darwin smiled next to her, giving her a tight hug. The ground continued to whirr behind them and Alaska watched as the twenty poles slid back into the ground, leaving behind tiny pieces of metal. The disappearing poles revealed Surge marching angrily forwards, as Steven led the way of the watchers.

"HOW DARE YOU!" Surge yelled, but Darwin moved forwards and raised both his fists, clearly willing to take on the muscular man. "You know how expensive it is going to be to replace all of that?"

"I was just showing you my way of doing things," Alaska replied. "I thought that's what you wanted to see?" Sandy and Mitchell giggled at this, but fell silent as Surge shot them a nasty look. Steven stepped forwards, putting his hands between them both and trying to stay diplomatic.

"Surge, the girl is right: she was just showing her way of doing things," he said tiredly. "However Alaska, you shouldn't have destroyed gym property. I have a lot of money in my account, so I can easily write out a cheque for however much it'll cost to –,"

"No!" Alaska said firmly, staring indignantly at Steven. "I destroyed it, so I should be the one to pay for it!"

"Alaska, you don't –,"

"Yes I do!" She replied sternly. "Too many people kept offering my family for support after my father got fired and my mother would usually turn them down unless there was no other way. I am not just getting to get you to pay a huge amount of money for something I did when I barely know you!" Alaska turned towards Surge, who had since calmed down and actually looked impressed. "Here's my offer: if I win the battle, as well as getting the TM and badge I don't pay for the bill. But if I lose, than I will give you however much money I can." Steven and Sandy both looked shocked, and Alaska knew it was a huge risk to take, but Surge tipped his head back and roared with laughter.

"You truly are a strong little fighter aren't you?" He boomed. "Challenge accepted!" Alaska nodded, slightly regretting it, having hoped Surge would change his attitude and say it was too much. Instead he pulled out a PokeBall and bounced it in his hands. "However, our battle begins now! You three, sit in the other stands. Clyde, clear up this mess."

"Eww, why do I have to clean up after her?" The computer groaned, but the ground whirred again, several tiles lifting up and tipping, sending the hot glass on them down below the gym. Alaska was stunned by this, but was more shocked as Surge moved back to the opposite side of the area: lights were shining at the corners where the four large towers stood, and Alaska took this as a cue to move backwards, the pitch forming around her.

"Good luck," Sandy said, giving Alaska a brief hug before racing to the stands. Steven simply gave a respectful nod once more while Mitchell did nothing, moving with the older people. Alaska was to surprised to have the gym battle suddenly starting, and quickly moved into her position.

"Darwin, I am going to save you for later, but thanks for your help," she said. Darwin pulled a grumpy face and Alaska knew she would pay for not sending him in first, but couldn't trust him after the last two times he had used him in battle and settled for an old friend.

"This will be a three on three battle, are you ready?" Surge called from across the tiled field. Alaska simply nodded, needing to focus in order to ready herself. She didn't have her usual time before hand to get herself mentally prepared or form a strategy of any sorts, and as Alaska pulled a Great Ball out and held it in the air, she knew she could only cross her fingers and hope for the best, the ball in the gym leader's court for the first time.

On a small note, The First Warriors, which takes place in Kanto 5 years before this story and ties in heavily with many aspects of this, has begun with the prologue and first chapter online. It is not necessarily key to read it at the moment to understands part of 8ES, but in a few parts the ties will become more evident.

Chapter Thirty One: Electric=MassCarnage2
Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 30

Chapter Thirty One: Electric=MassCarnage2

"VOLTORB, FRONT AND CENTER!"

"Frances, let's just try not to lose!"

The two balls soared through the air, the red light reflecting brightly off the tiles as the Pokemon formed. Frances landed a few metres away from Alaska, looking over and smiling at her trainer, but was than saw the collapsed poles and looked startled, quickly moving towards Alaska for comfort.

"No, no, we need to have a gym battle," Alaska said, unable to get down on one leg but managed a smile. "I know that we only had our other battle a few days ago, but I am trying to prove to the gym leader is a complete douche and I need your help with that as you're the only Pokemon I can count on right now and I know you can do it." Frances nodded, giggling slightly at Alaska insulting Surge and the Paras turned back around. What looked like an enlarged PokeBall waited opposite, and for a moment Alaska thought it was indeed just that. However, two bits of the red opened to reveal angry eyes.

"Voltorb," the Pokemon sparked in a robotic way. Alaska was stunned to see this Pokemon, and looked angrily up at Surge.

"Is this some kind of joke?" She spat, but only got a raised eyebrow in return. "Hello, an exploding Electrode nearly killed me and Sandy the other day? Seems a bit twisted to send it's pre-evolution out!" Surge merely scoffed, staring back angrily at Alaska.

"First of all, this isn't a robot," he snapped, and Voltorb shook his body in agreement, "and secondly, I am not thinking about what recently tried to blow you up when I am trying to think instead of how to defeat you. You need to pull your head out of all this stuff you're involved and focus on the battle in front of you right now, rather than just whinging and expecting me not to use a good Pokemon." Alaska was annoyed at the use of Pokemon but could see that she was possibly just overreacting and merely grunted, knowing it was time to get started.

"Alright you two!" Steven said, stepping forwards and raising his hands. "No more arguing! Let's just focus on the battle ahead of us, alright?"

"Agreed!" Surge boomed. "Voltorb, Charge Beam, go!"

"Duck down and use Leech Life!" Alaska boomed, ready to defeat Surge at all costs. Electricity formed in a ball in front of Voltorb who rolled around to face Frances face on. The ball grew wider and Frances shook with fear, putting her claws over her eyes as the ball exploded, unleashing a powerful beam of electric infused energy. Alaska moved aside as the beam went right over Frances, leaving her unharmed but a little shaken.

"Para!" She said happily, and she fired a lime green needle from her claws. Voltorb hadn't seen it coming and winced as lime balls of energy were extracted from his body and floated through the air towards Frances.

"She may be small, but let's see how that plays in favour now," Surge growled. "Voltorb, Electro Ball!" Alaska was surprised by this order: she had never heard of this move before. Surge noticed her look as Voltorb glowed yellow all over. "You've got to get with the times sweetie if you want to stay ahead!"

"Bullet Seed," Alaska yelled, not bothering to reply. The words had barely left her mouth when Voltorb swerved, a ball of yellow electricity leaving his body and shooting forwards. It moved too quickly for Frances and exploded next to her, sending her spiralling into the air. "Frances!" Alaska gasped, watching as the Paras flew upwards.

"Para Paras Pa!" She yelled, frantically firing the green seeds to the ground in fright. Voltorb tried rolling away, but was unable to prevent the erratic firing of the seeds, and trying to dodge them sent the PokeBall-like creature directly towards another round. Voltorb rolled around in daze, and Alaska realised an once-in-a-lifetime battle opportunity was about to unfold: Frances was falling back to the ground, right next to where Voltorb was rolling to.

"SPIN AND GRAB ONTO IT!" Alaska yelled, the shout making her head throb but not caring. Frances managed to steady herself to see what Alaska meant and pushed herself with her tiny legs and claws, heading directly towards the Electric type. Surge realized what was happening too late, and opened his mouth to order just as Frances landed on top. Voltorb seemed stunned, and Frances equally as shocked as she wrapped her tiny legs around Voltorb and held on tightly.

"VOOOOL!" It wailed, and tried to shake her off.

"Don't shake, blast!" Surge shouted. "Thunderbolt, go!" Alaska had thought that getting on top of Voltorb would be good, but this could probably end a lot worse than she had anticipated.

"GO ALASKA, YOU CAN DO IT!" Sandy shouted. "BEAT HIM LIKE YOU BEAT GIDEON!" Alaska nodded, and than realized Sandy's choice of words: no one else would have got this except them, and knew Sandy was giving her an idea of what to do.

"Hit it with a Metal Claw, as strong as you can!" Alaska shouted. Frances was scared at the Thunderbolt that was about to fry her from below, but being on top allowed her to counteract some of Voltorb's speed and her claws glowed silver at the same time as he glowed yellow. Frances lashed out, smashing her Metal Claw directly into Voltorb's right eye.

"TOOOOORB!" The PokeBall cried, flying backwards and sending the Thunderbolt ricocheting off the tiled walls. Sandy and Mitchell both screamed as they tried to avoid, and Frances flailed forwards as she fell towards the ground. An offshoot of the Thunderbolt exploded near her, causing her to cry and pushing her backwards. Alaska felt bad for her, but was delighted to see Voltorb's outcome: he had become planted into the wall, cracking tiles all around and leaving Surge shocked. Sparks flew out as Voltorb fell out of the hole, rolling forwards with his eyes shut.

"Voltorb is unable to battle," Steven announced. "This leaves Frances the Paras the victor of this round!" Alaska punched in the air in delight, smiling widely across at a stunned looking Surge.

"Well, looks like that wasn't such a great Pokemon after all," she teased, earning her a glare from the gym leader as he brought Voltorb back.

"I wouldn't be celebrating just yet without looking at your own Pokemon," he growled. Alaska was confused and looked across, jaw dropping: Frances was barely able to stand, wincing and seizing up as her body glowed yellow. She had been paralyzed, either from Voltorb's Static or the Thunderbolt, but either way Alaska's challenge was now in serious threat. "Paralysis is definitely not good," Surge added with a beam, "and it certainly won't help you now!" He threw his second PokeBall onto the field, leaving Alaska anxious about lay within: with Frances paralyzed, this battle had just gotten a whole lot harder with little for her to fall back on.

"You can do it Frances! You just defeated a Voltorb, so you can defeat this one too!" Alaska shouted. Frances gave a weak nod in reply, but her nod froze and her eyes bulged as the red energy formed alongside, turning into a much larger opponent than Voltorb. Alaska watched as the Pokemon formed, an orange body with a white belly and a long tail with a lightning bolt on the end. The Pokemon had a fearsome, mischievous look on his face, but his giant body looked cuddly than fearsome.

"Raichu Rai Rai!" Raichu said, flexing his black paws and staring down at Frances, who was a lot smaller than him and stood a high chance of being crushed. The Paras quaked in fear as much as the Paralysis allowed, and Alaska knew she would not last long. However, even if she switched Frances out now, Alaska still had a team she couldn't use in this situation and would be forced to bring the Paras out again later.

"Frances, I want you to hit this Raichu with a Stun Spore!" Alaska called out firmly, and was proud to see Frances nodded and forced her body upwards, staring up towards the Mouse Pokemon and doing her best to look frightening, but the Electric type wasn't frightened.

"Using spores to try and paralyze?" Surge said with a laugh. "Raichu, show her some true attacks with a Thunderbolt!" Raichu nodded and sparks flew from his yellow cheeks, his tail sticking up on end as if the current was flowing through it. Frances was too paralyzed to talk, but she shook her back as much as she could, sending the yellow spores up into the air and Alaska simply hoped it was enough.

"RAAAAAAIIIII!" Raichu suddenly yelled, flashing yellow and firing the bolt of electricity. Sandy gasped dramatically from the stands as Frances was blasted up into the air, soaring around like a plastic bag caught in the wind. Alaska could feel her pain, her head giving a particular throb almost to match it. Frances was silent as she fell down to the tiles but Surge's laughter was enough to make up for this fact, infuriating Alaska but she remained silent until she knew Frances' fate.

However, a second later it was confirmed: Frances landed, slightly smoking, in front of Alaska. The fact she had been knocked out was quite obvious, and Alaska let out a sigh, both in sadness for her and annoyance at her chances of showing Surge up looking extremely unlikely. The bronzed gym leader even began to laugh, flashing his white teeth as he smiled widely across at her.

"Frances the Paras is unconscious, leaving the number of Pokemon as mutual," Steven announced loudly as Alaska glared back and clutched her cane so tightly her veins bulged out. She brought Frances back silently, wondering what chances she had of succeeding: Nadia couldn't be used and Alaska wouldn't have anyway as she hadn't had a chance to train her yet, Paige was at a large disadvantage and Darwin could easily disobey. She was stuck, and it was going to be a rash decision in order to wipe the look off Surge's face: did she risk Darwin disobeying or gamble with Paige?

"GO!" Alaska yelled, throwing a PokeBall forwards and hoping it was the right choice. Surge remained quiet for a moment, leaning forwards to see the outcome, but let out his loudest laugh yet as the red energy formed. Paige looked confused to have formed amongst echoing laughter, but as she landed and took in all the sights it wasn't hard to work out where she was: all yellow, a Raichu in front of her, Sandy watching, Alaska smiling nervously at her. The Pidgeotto looked around to double check, and than turned towards Alaska that practically said 'Are you fucking serious? Ah Electric gym – REALLY?'

"Don't blame me, I have a head injury!" Alaska said indignantly, pointing at her bandaged skull. Paige smiled at this, and Alaska stretched her arms out for the Pidgeotto to fly into before pulling her into a tight hug. "Thank you for all you did in that tunnel, it was amazing."

"Pidgey Pidge Pidgey," Paige said and patted her with her wings. Alaska found the hug reassuring and eliminated most of her worries, but Surge coughed loudly from across the field, breaking them up.

"Can we save the chit chat and huggie time for later?" He growled and than smirked at his own joke. "I know your ill but a Flying type really is an outrageous decision. Raichu, we might as well have some fun with this as this is too easy: Iron Tail, let's go!" Alaska had new found strength in her decision after the hug, and Paige glared over at Surge at his joke and turned back to her, looking determined.

"Glad to see you think he's as big of a dickhead as I do," Alaska said with a smile. "Steel Wing, let's go!" Paige nodded and suddenly took off, her wings glowing silver as she sped towards Raichu. The tail of the Mouse Pokemon glowed entirely silver and he pounded forwards, moving as if rushing after prey through the grass, and leapt up as Paige came nearer. Fortunately for her, Paige was able to swerve around, the long tail missing her by nearly a metre.

"PIDGE!" She shouted, swinging around and smashing her wings into his neck, sending Raichu sprawling back onto the ground. Surge's smile was wiped off his face and Alaska grinned slyly in delight, laughing as Sandy leapt up and began dancing on the spot in celebration.

"Quick Attack while he's down, go!" Alaska called, and Paige nodded, turning around and taking off with a flash. Raichu didn't know what was coming and was hit squarely in the stomach by the speeding Pidgeotto, sending him rolling over once again and infuriating Surge even more.

"Thunderbolt, go!" He roared. Raichu began to glow yellow, but he looked pained and Alaska remained optimistic, glad her risk of using Paige seemed to be paying off now.

"Raaaiii… Chuuu!" Raichu huffed, sending a bolt of electricity into the air. Paige could see it coming and quickly began to dive down, but Alaska gasped as she saw her close companion wasn't fast enough: the Thunderbolt managed to clip her wing, sending Paige squawking and spiralling towards the ground. Alaska was shocked, but mildly recovered as Paige pulled herself up just in time, her left wing appearing limp.

"Are you fine to continue?" She called out, and Paige nodded her head, still looking determined. "Good to hear, now Aerial Ace!" Alaska shouted, annoyed that her dreams continued to get crushed.

"Non missing moves eh?" Surge smirked. "We can play that game too: Shock Wave, go!" Paige took off with her wings glowing, though looked pained as she dived down towards Raichu as he got to his feet. It was clear her attacks were starting to have some effect, but it could only take the Shock Wave to completely eliminate Paige from the rest of the battle.

"Pidgey!" Paige cried, swooping down with her glowing wings and striking Raichu once more: the attack did seem to cause injury, but the Flying type move wasn't as severe and Raichu managed to stay upright.

"CHUUUU!" He cried, a thinner bolt of electricity shooting from his tail. Paige turned to avoid it but the Shock Wave swerved after her, hitting her directly in the chest. Alaska gasped as the Pidgeotto fell to the ground, writhing slightly and looking severely pained. She was shocked to see how much the Electric attacks were working, and despite getting three moves in things were now even between Paige and Raichu: one more hit could easily knock the other out, but it was all a matter of who could move first.

"I knew a Flying type wouldn't last long, no matter how many fancy moves it had," Surge chuckled. "Thunderbolt again!"

"Use Twister!" Alaska cried, wondering if the final move Paige had in her arsenal would be of any use. It was only as Paige pushed herself back into the air that Alaska realized it was better than she expected: Dragon types were resistant towards Electric type moves, so possibly a Dragon attack would protect Paige?

"Ooooooottooooo!" Paige cried, stretching her wings with obvious pain and beginning to spin around. Purple energy began to swirl around her, creating wind within the gym and causing them all to feel the breeze. However, Raichu was glowing yellow and sparking, staring up towards his opponent and managing to move forwards.

"RAAAAIIIIII!" He yelled, firing the Thunderbolt just as the Twister properly formed, creating a giant churning mass of draconian energy that rose up from the tiled floor to the domed ceiling. Alaska and Surge shielded their eyes against the Twister as it arched and shot towards Raichu, striking him in the stomach as the Thunderbolt tore through the air. There was a simultaneous cry from both Pokemon as the attacks hit, the Twister partially glowing yellow and sparking from the Thunderbolt within. Alaska watched as the Twister kept spinning, simply hoping that things would keep working. However, only a moment later things changed: the Twister dramatically exploded, sending a blast of wind and energy through the gym with the Thunderbolt sparking behind. Alaska cried out as she her cane slipped, unable to stand against the wind and found herself tipping over backwards. A shudder went through her body as her back hit the ground, and Alaska groaned as the pain in her head and leg rose up again.

"ALASKA!" Sandy shouted, and it seemed like only a moment later the blonde had appeared above her with a stunned look on her face, ushering for someone to come over. "Are you alright Alaska? I knew you shouldn't have battled! Oh, now you're going to die and it's all so unnecessary!"

"I am fine Sandy," Alaska said, pushing herself up and letting out a moan like someone that wasn't fine. "Just a slight knock on the head, that's all," she added, grabbing the cane and raising a hand to Sandy. Steven and Mitchell had rushed forwards, but Alaska was back on her feet before they arrived, forcing a smile to cover up the exceedingly painful throbbing coming from beneath her bandages.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Steven asked.

"Yes, I'm fine!" Alaska snapped back irritably, despite her head yelling 'I'm not fine really.'

"Very well then," Steven said, looking displeased with being snapped at. "Both Pokemon have fainted as well." Alaska had been focused on her pain and not on the battle and quickly turned back, wondering what had happened to Paige but only to find Steven was correct: the Pidgeotto lay unconscious on the ground, several metres away from a limp looking Raichu. A draw was more than Alaska had expected and she was pleased Raichu was down, but felt bad for Paige and worried as she knew what her only option was now.

"Are we fine to continue?" Surge asked icily. He seemed rather annoyed that his Raichu had fainted at the hands of a Flying type and Alaska took some solace in this.

"Yes yes, we are!" Steven said, moving back towards his spot. Sandy was staring at Alaska with a look that seemed to imply she knew Alaska was covering up an injury, but Alaska merely smiled back and refused to budge.

"Good luck for the last round," Sandy said with a hint of a sigh. "I'll keep cheering for you." Alaska smiled in appreciation before turning back towards the field. She felt rather conflicted about bringing Paige back: Sandy's look made her want to drop out, and most of Alaska's mind was telling her that was the right idea. She could return in a few days when she and her team were feeling better, possibly after training Darwin up to behave and pushing Frances towards evolution.

Continuing the battle was stupid and Alaska knew it, but there was no way she was giving up. Surge was arrogant and wanted her to give up, and Alaska wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of her leaving and than being even more superior when they next returned. And once more, Alaska wanted to keep trying for her journey: after all that had happened over the past few days, she was more determined than ever to defeat the gyms. It seemed unavoidable now that she was involved with all of this drama with Gideon and exploding robots, but if Alaska managed to keep battling the gyms and not let injuries from this unwanted mess stop her, than maybe she could keep trying both.

"Now that we can confirm my lovely opponent has died from a slight fall," Surge said with a sneer, "let us just continue the battle, shall we?"

"We shall," Alaska replied with a smile, the two bringing their Pokemon back at the same time. She switched Paige's PokeBall for Darwin's, pausing slightly before throwing it out: was this really going to be a good idea? Would forfeiting due to her injuries be worse than a last minute failure?

"Electabuzz, go!" Surge yelled. His PokeBall burst on the ground and an almost human Pokemon formed out. The new Electric type had a yellow body with black markings, a long black and yellow striped tail and antennae on the top of his head, which was reasonably wide and had an angry look spread across,.

"ELECAELECAELECA!" The Electabuzz slurred, pounding his thick fists against his chest. Alaska instantly found this Pokemon strange but it gave her the answer she wanted to hear.

"Win this Darwin!" She yelled, sending her Primeape out for the second time that day. It was going to be a big risk on wheter he obeyed or not, but Alaska could see that Darwin might have an issue with this Electabuzz and simply figured that if Darwin defeated him, did it really matter at the moment if he did so by listening to her or not? Alaska knew this wasn't a good attitude to have, but winning meant everything at the moment: she had one shot to defeat Surge and wipe the smile off his face but a million more to properly train her Pokemon.

"Primeape Prime Prime!" Darwin called as he formed before her, flexing his muscles and bouncing up on his feet. Alaska remembered how he seemed annoyed when she brought him back prior to the match, so it seemed was eager to get stuck into the battle.

"Elecaelecabuzzeleceleca!" Electabuzz growled from in front, and Darwin turned to face his opponent. Alaska could only see Electabuzz but the Electric Pokemon looked even grumpier and she could see Darwin raising fists: this was going to be a very interesting fight.

"You monkey may have destroyed my gym, but let's just see how he fears against Electabuzz!" Surge yelled. "Low Kick, go!"

"Fighting moves on a Fighting type? Please!" Alaska scoffed. "Karate Chop, go!" Electabuzz lashed out with one of his legs, swinging it around and preparing to knock the Pig Monkey Pokemon over. However, Darwin suddenly launched himself upwards with a push of his legs, moving him to the side and out of the way of the attack.

"PRIMEEEE!" Darwin cried, swinging a hand into Electabuzz's stomach. Alaska clapped with joy as the wind was knocked out of the Electric type and knew using Darwin would have its benefits. However, the clapping stopped as Darwin swung around again, swinging a Karate Chop towards the back of Electabuzz's head.

"Alaska, control you're Pokemon!" Steven gasped as Electabuzz fell to the ground, clearly pained from the two hit attacks. "There is no rule against Pokemon who disobey their trainers but it is just common courtesy to control it!"

"Yes, I am sorry, I haven't been able to sort this out yet," Alaska apologized, glaring at Darwin as he leered over Electabuzz.

"Maybe you shouldn't be battling then!" Surge snapped. "ThunderPunch!" Alaska was furious at being shamed and was going to let Darwin know it afterwards, but as she readied her attack she gasped: Darwin had grabbed Electabuzz by his tail and was beginning to swing him.

"STOP!" Alaska yelled in shock. Darwin smiled as he continued to spin, taking this as meaning to stop spinning and he let go. The force of the Seismic Toss sent Electabuzz spinning through the air and over the pitch, crashing into the stands on the other side. Darwin punched the air as his opponent crashed through the wood and metal and landed beneath. Alaska wasn't sure how to feel: happy that Surge was getting defeated or shocked at Darwin's behaviour. Sandy, Steven and Mitchell all looked stunned while Surge simply looked angry, and Alaska imagined this was what her mother felt like all the times she had tantrums in the supermarket.

"You want to play rough Acevdeo?" Surge snarled. "We'll play rough! THUNDER!" Darwin heard the order and turned towards Electabuzz, raising his fists and beginning to run forwards to attack. Alaska went to yell out an order but paused as a bright yellow glow erupted from the stands. A second later what looked like three Thunderbolts in one burst through the stands. It was blinding and Alaska could feel her hair below her bandages rising up from the electricity. Sandy yelled as Darwin was blasted into the wall above their heads, the tiles shattering and the lights flickering from the power flowing through the air. The Thunder came to a stop after half a minute, in which the yellow lightning bolt disappeared to show a beaming Surge, Electabuzz now standing outside of the stands and Darwin forced into the wall with his fur standing up.

"That was pretty astounding, wasn't it?" Surge laughed. "ThunderPunch, go!"

"BUZZBUZZBUZZ!" Electabuzz yelled and shot forwards with his right fist glowing yellow. Sandy and Mitchell moved aside with a shout as the Electric Pokemon ran up the stands, just as Darwin rolled out of his tiny crater. Electabuzz swung around, driving the fist into Darwin's face and sending him careering back to the field.

"Please keep the battle on the field!" Steven yelled, nearly getting knocked asides as Electabuzz ran back down. Alaska was shocked to see how strong Surge's Electabuzz could be, and knew that the gym leader was just as willing to do anything to win as she was. She now pitied Darwin though, who lay weakly on the ground, and worried for herself, knowing her battle was nearly lost.

"Come on Electabuzz, let's get this over with," Surge said with a beam. "Let's try Low Kick again, go!" Alaska had no idea what to do, as any order was most likely to get ignored, but she couldn't just let Darwin lay there.

"Karate Chop!" She yelled, hoping he would listen and managed to stand, but it didn't seem likely as Electabuzz lashed out with his leg. The kick managed to strike, hitting Darwin in the legs and rolling him over. Surge and Electabuzz both laughed, and Alaska cursed under her breathe as she knew her battle was lost, but all that changed in one swift movement: Darwin suddenly leapt up, ramming a fist directly into Electabuzz's face.

"Well that's interesting," Mitchell said, his remark sounding as everyone else fell silent: they had all seen Darwin as losing, but suddenly he was up with his eyes glowing red and muscles tense, Electabuzz stumbling backwards. Alaska's jaw had dropped, no idea in her mind what that move was but knowing it was something good.

"ThunderPunch!" Surge yelled once Electabuzz had stopped, bothered that his victory had been held off.

"Keep using that move!" Alaska yelled in delight. She looked across and saw Sandy had quickly sent Bellsprout out, her two person cheering squad dancing on the stands. Things seemed to be changing and Alaska was beginning to feel better, ignoring the terrible pain in her head and watching joy as Darwin reared up. Electabuzz swung the ThunderPunch, striking Darwin in the stomach and though he looked pained, the Primeape remained standing.

"APE!" He boomed and swung two more punches, blasting Electabuzz into the sky and backwards. The attack seemed more powerful than before and Alaska wondered if Darwin had learnt Rage, an attack that got more powerful every time the user got hit. It would explain how he simply took the attacks and they were getting more powerful, with Electabuzz struggling to stand. Alaska looked up and saw Surge seemed to have come to the same conclusion, a grim look on his face. His Pokemon didn't seem to have any moves that weren't attacks, leaving him at a serious disadvantage.

"Your call Surger," Alaska yelled, grinning widely as Darwin puffed out his chest, staring over at Electabuzz. The Primeape looked fairly tired himself, but it would come down to wheter he could withstand Electabuzz's next attack to score another hit.

"Thunder!" He yelled, though his face remained weak and nervous and Alaska knew the attack was a cheap shot: it had a high chance of missing, meaning it would be easy for Darwin to have his Rage weakened.

"Run forwards and punch the bugger!" Alaska yelled, and was stunned as Darwin ran forwards, Electabuzz beginning to glow completely yellow and sparking.

"ELECALECA!" He bellowed, and the powerful bolt was fired forwards. Alaska winced as Darwin took the Thunder full blast, the electricity completely engulfing him and Electabuzz and the surrounding area. Everything was a mystery now, the electricity completely surrounding them and Alaska had no idea what the outcome would be, but knew that one Pokemon was going to faint.

"PRIMEEEEEEEEEEEE!" Darwin suddenly yelled, and Alaska cheered in delight as Electabuzz was blasted upwards. Surge's jaw dropped as the Electric Pokemon smashed into the dome, taking out a pane of glass, before falling back down to earth. The Thunder instantly diminished without its power source and Alaska jumped up as she saw Darwin was kneeling in pain on the ground but still had an eye open. She forgot about her sore leg until it collapsed under her weight and Alaska quickly pushed onto her cane to hold herself up, but ignored the feeling as she was too happy watching Electabuzz smash into the ground next to Surge's feet.

"Electabuzz is unable to battle," Steven announced, trying to hide a smile, "meaning that the challenger Alaska Acevedo and her Primeape Darwin are the winners."

"YEEEEESSSSS!" Sandy screamed, making Mitchell and Bellsprout jolt but she didn't care as she came racing down towards Alaska, flailing her arms in delight. "I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT, I JUST KNEW YOU WOULD! OH MY GOD, THIS IS SO AMA –,"

"Bring the chair," Alaska called out, the pain from jumping beginning to settle in. Sandy gasped as if she had just set something on fire and rushed back, grabbing the wheelchair and pushing it forwards at top speed. "Thank you," Alaska said, collapsing into the seat in relief, "and I am glad you felt proud, though weren't you worried I was going to die?"

"Heat of the moment," Sandy said with a shrug and Alaska laughed, though found herself feeling a lot weaker and more tired now that the exhilaration of the battle was over: her leg and head both throbbed and she wouldn't mind having a proper lie down. However, Alaska managed to hold herself together as Sandy wheeled her towards Darwin, who looked very weak himself.

"You did amazingly," Alaska said with a smile, "great job." Darwin merely nodded, a bit of a grumpy pout on his face. Alaska sighed, too tired to deal with him at the moment, and simply smiled as she brought him back inside his PokeBall. A similar clicking noise sounded to her left and Sandy turned the chair as Surge walked forwards, placing Electabuzz's PokeBall back in his pocket.

"While I am not happy about how this battle went nor about the fact you've escaped paying for the damages, I must admit you wer a very interesting challenge and you have deserved this," Surge said. He pressed one of the many buttons on his remote and a tile slid aside a few places underneath Voltorb's crater: on top was a small metal badge that looked like the sun while the other was a yellow Technical Machine. "It contains Shock Wave: might be pretty useful."

"Thank you," Alaska said, smiling widely as she took the badge and TM. Sandy, Steven, Bellsprout and Surge clapped, and Mitchell reluctantly tapped his hands together behind. Alaska was relieved she had managed to win, but her joy was clouded by the pain throughout her and the knowledge that with Nadia indisposed she needed to heal her Pokemon quickly, another grim reminder of how a challenge she hadn't signed up for was going to hang around no matter what she did, and took all of Alaska's strength to not dampen the mood by crying.

Electabuzz is meant to speak with his words together, as in an anime episode he sounded sort of like this and it always amused me so I kept it in :p Final of the Vermilion Arc next

Chapter Thirty Two: A Taste of Things to Come
Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 31

Chapter Thirty Two: A Taste of Things to Come

Ten minutes later, the group began to leave the Vermilion Gym.

Mitchell's hyperactive and attention seeking instincts caused him to run about fifty metres ahead without noticing that Sandy had only just pushed Alaska in her chair through the sliding doors. His yell for them to hurry up was blown aside by wind blowing in from the sea, and Alaska and Sandy didn't mind pretending they hadn't heard. Steven was lingering behind to discuss something with Surge, and though Alaska's natural curiosity had been heightened during her experiences, she was too tired at the moment to wonder what they were talking about.

"That was a truly amazing battle," Sandy said for about the umpteenth time as they moved after Mitchell, heading towards the Pokemon Center. "Admittedly I didn't see your first one and you still have five more, but that could be your best battle! It had twists, it had surprises, it had new moves and, oh my god, it was just like being on a roller coaster!"

"I am glad you enjoyed it," Alaska laughed, "and I have to agree it was a very twisty battle. I probably wouldn't have defeated Voltorb if you hadn't given me that little reminder."

"Oh, it just seemed like a good idea at the time," Sandy said with a slight scoff, but Alaska looked up and saw she was beaming with pride. Though they hadn't gotten off to the best starts with Sandy nearly crushing her and than them nearly being killed by the BeeBot, Alaska found Sandy was growing on her. It was clear that she was in need of a friend and companion as well, and the two got along well despite their differences and Alaska being easily annoyed when she felt like it.

However, it simply made Alaska regret the fact Sandy was now involved with her drama as well: the blonde, happy go lucky girl had nearly been killed by the reality shows stupidity, nearly crushed by the GolemBot, nearly blown up by the ElecBot and had her brain switched with her Butterfree's, all since travelling with her. If Alaska had been sensible she would have pushed Sandy away after Mt Moon, but part of her (the part that had seen too many thrillers and spy movies) knew that Sandy would end up getting involved somehow, whether their paths crossed again or Gideon found a way to use her against her. But now Sandy was right in the thick of it, and all Alaska knew about what she decided upon was that she was not going to let her only human friend in years get in harm's way.

Yet Sandy was oblivious to Alaska's dark thoughts as she pushed the wheelchair along the street, humming a little song to herself and managing to brighten Alaska's day up. The sun was lower now, signalling it was the afternoon, and longer shadows were being cast around the city. All of Vermilion felt sleepy, and Alaska was tempted to snooze off right in her chair, so tired and knowing they wouldn't mind.

"Wait up!" A voice cried, and a second later Steven appeared alongside, clutching his chest and panting. "Boy, if I knew you were going to get so far ahead I wouldn't have stayed chatting! I thought Alaska was a big old lump."

"Maybe you're just a weak old man," Alaska retorted as Sandy began to laugh.

"Fair enough," Steven laughed. "It has been a few years since I went on an adventure myself, so I guess my health is not exactly at its prime at the moment. Still, once we get to the Pokemon Center we might be able to relax. Than once your Pokemon are sorted Alaska we need to take you to the hospital."

"What?" Alaska scoffed. "Do I have to go back?"

"I was only taking you out for the day," Steven pointed out as he regained his breath. "They still need to check on you and if you aren't fit to leave than you aren't fit to leave! I saw the way you fell and than jumped on your leg: this could have impaired your recovery!" Alaska was frustrated at the idea of going back to her bland hospital room, but she was too tired to bother arguing and merely put on a sulky face, but stopped when she saw Mitchell was pulling a near identical one as he waited impatiently near the Pokemon Center.

"What were you and Surge talking about?" Sandy asked in an attempt to break the tension.

"Oh, nothing much," Steven said with a slight shrug. "I enjoy keeping up with all the latest news from the leagues for old time's sake, so I was just seeing how his gym was doing." Sandy nodded along and asked some questions about being Champion, but Alaska was beginning to zone out. She wondered if Steven was telling the truth as she had the feeling he was there for more than he was letting on, but also wondered if the hospital was going to serve some nice food as Alaska was really starting to get hungry as well as tired, and these things weren't a good mix…

It isn't safe – hide.

"Who said that?" Alaska said, shooting up in her chair and glancing around.
"Who said what?" Sandy asked, sounding puzzled, as they finally came to a stop outside the Pokemon Center. Alaska looked around, certain she had heard something, but there were only a small group of people on their lane heading to the fishing store and people walking individually or in pairs at the end of the lane. None of them seemed to be looking at her or appeared to have Psychic powers, and as Alaska settled back into her chair she began to recognize the voice: it was the same one that had been in her dream.

"N-nothing," Alaska stuttered, wondering who the voice belonged to. "I must just be imagining things – head wound, of course." She began to laugh but saw Sandy and Steven looked rather grim and decided not to push things.

"Well, now that Alaska has stopped being crazy, can we go see the boats?" Mitchell asked with the eager face of a boy his age. "I saw a really pretty boat in the harbour and I want to go and look!"

"Mitchell, I am not sure," Steven said with a warm smile, but Mitchell's eagerness turned to an angry pout and a glare that Alaska knew from her babysitting days that he was close to a tantrum.

"Let's just go look," she said tiredly. Mitchell took this for an immediate answer and ran ahead, moving clumsily but happily. Steven sighed and laughed slightly before moving ahead, Sandy quickly following behind with Alaska in the chair. Alaska didn't feel like talking and it seemed her hearing things had put the others on edge, so the three remained silent as they joined Mitchell at the end of Pokemon Lane.

The city was a bit busier out here, with the people in suits Alaska had seen going for lunch now making their way home for the day. There were a lot more younger people out around the cafes and shops, and other people were just generally hanging around and either making their way home or going out, Alaska couldn't tell. Sandy wheeled Alaska around to face the harbour, revealing a streamlined white ferry moving through the waters, the sun reflecting off in it a way that made it look on fire. The large container ship that was coming in before the gym battle was now docked, the cranes hastily unloading the different coloured containers so they could be moved to one of their areas where the containers formed a gigantic wall of goods.

"Isn't this all so cool?" Mitchell said, pointing eagerly. Alaska and the others nodded along, watching as the ferry disappeared behind the container ship, simply enjoying it for his sake. Alaska wondered if she would be like him if she wasn't sitting in the wheelchair with an injured head and bung knee: she had never seen anything so large and busy in her life before, and wondered if a happier Alaska would have marvelled at the skyscrapers and the giant boats. It seemed like the normal travellers thing to do, but Alaska simply didn't have the heart, far too tired at the moment to care what really happened.

I said it wasn't safe – you must move, now!

"What isn't safe?" Alaska said aloud, looking around once more. Sandy, Steven and Mitchell turned towards her curiously and several passers-by's turned as well, a group of teenage girls stopping and whispering obviously to each other.

"Alaska what are you on about?" Steven asked, looking concerned.

"I-I-I keep hearing this-this voice," Alaska explained, wondering if this was some sort of sign. "It appeared in my dream last night, and now it's just told me things aren't safe and I need to move. Steven, I think this is serious!" Alaska looked at the ex-champion with an honest, serious look, but the grey haired man stared down at her in a pitying way.

"Alaska, you have suffered a head injury," he said as more people looked around, wondering what she was going on about. Alaska hated having them all stare at her like a crazy person and she looked around, heart and head racing, wondering what was going on.

"I am serious Steven, something is about to –,"

And than the container ship exploded.

Screams sounded all around as people instinctively jumped for cover, including Mitchell, but Alaska's eyes fixed towards the sight ahead, wondering what was happening. There was an orange fist rising into the air, but it was clear it hadn't come from the top of the ship: this explosion had erupted from deep within the centre of the ship, effectively tearing it in two. Sandy began to scream as well as the orange turned to grey but the damage became more clear: one of the cranes was already tumbling down like a broken toy whilst the one next to it looked as if a slight breeze would cause it to crash down as well. The explosion was so sudden that it had shaken throughout the city, drawing all their attention towards it. Alaska wondered what happened to the ferry that had sped past only moments before the explosion, and she grasped the sides and tried pushing herself up.

"No Alaska, stay down!" Sandy yelled hysterically, forcing her friend back into the chair.

"NO!" Alaska yelled back, staring towards the site. "Something is happening, we need to move!"

"Yes Alaska, but stay in your chair, I'll move –," Sandy began to say, but was cut off as another explosion occurred before their eyes. This time the bottom most right container in the giant wall of metal had exploded, setting off a shockwave: one by one the containers erupted into flames, the top ones began to collapse down into the continuous burst of fire around them. More screams sounded and people began to run up the main road away from the yard, looking distressed.

"VERMILION IS UNDER ATTACK!" A voice suddenly shouted and Alaska turned as Surge ran up the lane, holding a megaphone to his mouth and joined by a series of Pokemon: his Raichu and Electabuzz had been joined by several Pikachu, Elekid and what looked like a furry yellow Ariados racing up behind. "MOVE TO SAFETY, NOW!" The presence of the gym leader seemed to set residents into action and suddenly Alaska was beginning confused as blurred figures rushed past in all directions. Surge ran up to them with his army of Pokemon, his usual nature turning to concern as this crisis erupted around them, the sounds of more explosions coming from the docks.

"I am going to get down there and see what the fuck is going on," he told Steven. "You stay and help, but you better get those three inside."

"Of course. Good luck," Steven said, pulling PokeBalls from his own pocket as Surge began to head down the road. Mitchell hurried towards them with tears streaming down his face, and Steven pushed him gently towards Sandy, beginning to turn towards them but suddenly freezing, his eyes bulging. "SURGE, COME BACK!" He yelled. "Sandy, move them, NOW!"

"What is it?" Mitchell cried as Sandy wheeled Alaska around and grabbed his hand. Alaska turned around to try and see as Steven dropped PokeBalls onto the ground, the first one forming being the four legged metal beast Metagross. Surge was shouting and pointing into the sky, and more people seemed to be running past. Alaska's head hurt as if a million robots were marching against her brain, causing her to feel disorientated and making her vision blur. It took a while, but she soon saw what was in the sky: it was what had to be a Pokemon, but it wasn't one Alaska knew. It had a body made of swirling purple and black, though the swirling could have just been her imagination. Its body didn't seem to directly join together, more like bits hovering near each other. But the one thing that stood out to Alaska was its eyes: it had dark red eyes that were visible even from the distance between them. Alaska had no idea who the Pokemon was, but it was enough to strike fear into both Steven and Surge's hearts and she could see why.

"What is that Pokemon?" Alaska asked, trying to stare at it but found her vision blurring as Sandy pushed the chair forwards.

"I don't know Alaska, but we can find out later," Sandy said, her voice cracking slightly, and Alaska wondered if she was crying. She decided not to ask any more questions, mainly though as her head seemed to throb more and more, and Alaska would have remained silent and gone to the Pokemon Center if a building didn't explode behind them.

Sandy screamed and jumped to the ground, pulling Mitchell down with her. Alaska had no choice but the cover her head and duck down as the explosion seemed to literally shake the city, but at the same time she turned and tried to catch a glimpse. It seemed that an apartment building had suddenly exploded, flames coming out from a jagged hole in the side. More screams echoed around, joined by the sounds of ambulance sirens and moves being unleashed by Pokemon. Alaska could see multiple Electric attacks being fired into the sky, but the mysterious Pokemon swerved out of the way, white energy forming at the end of his arms.

Silently, the Pokemon fired a second Hyper Beam at another building. This time Alaska watched as it struck the building and exploded upon impact, instantly destroying every window and sending bricks soaring into the air. The white energy turned to flames a moment later, joining the mass of smoke and fire curling up into the sky. This Pokemon was ruthless, but Alaska knew one thing about Pokemon: few Pokemon became evil in the wild; they needed a trainer to them bad, simply meaning someone was behind this.

"Let's move, quickly!" Sandy yelled from near Alaska's feet. She put a hand at the back of the chair and gave it a mighty shove towards the Pokemon Center before leaping up and dragging Mitchell, trying to race after. "Let's just get inside and find a place to hide," Sandy said, near hysterical. "Once we're inside, we can put everything out of the – AAAAHHHH!" Sandy screamed and came to a stop, nearly tipping the chair backwards as she grabbed onto it. Alaska would have complained about nearly falling over, but her eyes focused on the giant blue blur that had suddenly shot past them. Alaska thought it might have just been part of her imagination, but as the blur rounded the corner and everyone around them froze to stare it at, she knew it was real: crested head, long purple cape, white tails, white diamonds on a blue body.

Suicune had just arrived.

The appearance of a legendary Pokemon was so stunning and surprising that everyone seemed to forget they were running for their lives, but a third explosion snapped people out of it. Mitchell was staring at Suicune as if he was a giant piece of candy, but Sandy pulled herself together and began pushing the two forwards once more. Alaska wondered why Suicune was here and if it could get any weirder, only for her question to instantly get answered.

"ZAAAAAAA!" All eyes turned to the skies this time, and the legendary Electric type Zapdos made a much more grand entrance: its giant yellow and black wings shot electricity across the skyline as the bird dived down towards the scene. There was another blur and Alaska turned to see Suicune had disappeared, leaving Zapdos to fight the mysterious Pokemon. The purple and black destroyer had turned around at the sound and sight of the legendary, white energy instantly forming again.

"DOOOOOOOOSSSS!" Zapdos screeched, flashing yellow and firing what looked like a super charged Thunder towards the Hyper Beam. The two attacks suddenly collided, and the resulting explosion was enough to set the stampede and screams off once more: a shockwave seemed to engulf the skyline, windows shattering all along the main road and a display of lights that would have been pretty in other circumstances erupted above them.

"What about Steven and Lt. Surge?" Mitchell yelled as people rushed past them, heading towards any of the buildings around them and not really caring where they ended up.

"He'll be fine, he has powerful Pokemon to protect him," Sandy said, pushing them off again.

"Shouldn't we have our Pokemon protecting us?" Mitchell asked, fetching his PokeBalls.

"Mitchell, just SHUT UP!" Alaska snapped, clutching her throbbing head. "This situation is horrible enough without you whiny like the irritating little vermin that you are!"

"Alaska!" Sandy gasped just as Mitchell burst into tears. Despite running for their lives, several people turned around in shock at the scene before them: an apparently disabled girl turning a younger boy to tears, with an equally as young person looking after them. It didn't look good but Alaska didn't care, half tempted to roll herself to the Center, ready to simply fall asleep and get over with it.

"If you aren't going to apologize we'll just have to move," Sandy said, grasping Mitchell tightly and pushing Alaska forwards. However, Mitchell continued to cry and perform and stood still, forcing Sandy to try and pull him forwards. "Mitchell now isn't the time to act up! Do you want to be here when that Pokemon starts bombing the lane!"

"Alaska is such a Miltank, she doesn't deserve to get all that focus the gym people are giving her!" Mitchell shouted tearfully as another explosion rocked the ground behind them, and Sandy gasped as the young boy pushed the chair forwards. Alaska quickly tried to find the brakes, but she had rolled forwards several metres before managing to stop. Sandy remained behind trying to tell Mitchell off, leaving Alaska stuck in front of them. She didn't care though as Mitchell's words sounded inside her throbbing head: what did he mean by all the attention the 'gym people' were giving her? Alaska looked back towards them, wondering what to do, when she noticed something above them.

"LOOK OUT!" She screamed. Sandy and Mitchell turned to the sky and yelled as well: Zapdos was crash landing towards them, flapping her wings to keep afloat but now closer as the mysterious Pokemon chased after. Alaska caught Steven running around the corner with his Metagross and noticed out of the corner of her eye Sandy pulling something out of her pockets, but it all seemed too late as three balls of electricity, ice and fire formed by the mysterious Pokemon.

"NOOOOO!" Alaska screamed, but it was worthless: three beams were fired towards Zapdos' Thunder, and instantly they collided. It took a single second for them to come together before they suddenly exploded. The shockwave was powerful, enough to blast Alaska out of her chair. She yelled as she rolled painfully along the ground, glaring white light completely engulfing her. Screams that sounded like Sandy's joined screeches coming from Zapdos, but Alaska couldn't see anything. The ground seemed to rumble and Alaska could feel it crack, the sound of another beam being fired joining the noise and unleashing another shock wave. It was all too painful and confusing, with the sounds of roars and glass shattering joining the fray. Alaska's head felt like it was about to explode and she had to clutch it, trying to block out all of the noise and the pain, needing to do something to try and save herself.

I did try to warn you.

As soon as the words washed over her, Alaska suddenly felt calm. She opened her eyes to find that all she could see was still white from the explosion, but no longer could the sounds reach her or could see feel the rumbling beneath her body. The pain in her head remained though, and Alaska wondered if she had had an aneurysm and died, joining the mysterious voice in some sort of afterlife.

"Who are you?" Alaska asked, trying to turn but finding hands pressing into her back.

You don't need to know that at the moment, the voice told her. In time, yes, but I don't want to confuse you at the moment. I am here to help you, not make things worse for you.

"What do you mean?" Alaska asked, struggling to concentrate as the pain erupted throughout her brain. "You gave me that message in my dream, didn't you? Who was that other person you mentioned, and why do I need to stop travelling?

You must stop because ultimately you will be used by the people that claim are there to help you, the voice said urgently. You will find more allies along your quest but the longer you keep travelling the longer the league will try and use you to fight this battle for them, and this will only get more dangerous. Neil Bolton came close to killing you yesterday and if it hadn't been for a door you wouldn't be here right now. Gideon is willing to kill innocent people simply to get what he wants, and if you get in his way he will most likely kill your friends, your Pokemon and your family before you before finally taking your own life. You are not safe the more you co-operate with the league and the more you cross paths with your enemies, and yes, that includes the reality stars. I am here to help you Alaska Acevedo, you must know this.

"Why should I believe you?" Alaska snapped, the pain becoming so unbearable she could barely speak. "You could be working for Gideon or that Neil person!" A hand suddenly appeared alongside, and Alaska was able to notice it was oval shaped, blue on the top and grey and striped on the bottom, with three sharp claws.

Would an enemy do this? The voice whispered and suddenly moved towards her head. Alaska's brain felt like it was about to blow and she screamed as the hand touched her, forcing her to shut her eyes and writhe her body as a sensation swept through her body. She couldn't think about anything except the pain and simply screamed, unable to do anything else.

"ALASKA! ALASKA!"

The sensation suddenly left and Alaska landed on the ground, instantly feeling it jagged beneath her. She breathed deeply as she opened her eyes, seeing the cracked ground beneath her and feeling nothing against her skin. Alaska's hands reached up towards her skull as footsteps appeared alongside, instinctively looking up as Sandy appeared. Her Onix had stretched up high above her, leaving Alaska confused as to what was going on.

"Oh thank god!" Sandy wailed with teary eyes, pulling Alaska up into a hug and providing her with a view over her shoulder: the ground in front of them had collapsed into the sewers, giving off a smell of damp and general disgust. Bricks and concrete were scattered all around alongside glass and what looked like several people knocked out or killed, Alaska couldn't tell. She looked around for any sight of the mysterious Pokemon but it was nowhere to be seen, but she could clearly see Zapdos flying into the distance. Onix's tail stood near a shaken Mitchell, the rest of his body stretching across the hole towards Steven, Surge and their various Pokemon.

"I can't believe this happened, but we are all safe and alive and that's what truly matters!" Sandy said tearfully, but Alaska meekly nodded, touching her hand to her bandages. There should have been some sort of wound underneath, but it all felt smooth to Alaska, and she was so shocked that the pain in her brain had disappeared she could barely speak. All she could think of as she watched the floors of a building collapse onto the main road was that the mysterious Pokemon was there to help her, meaning that his words had some truth to them. If he was right, than Alaska knew that Sandy's words were wrong: they definitely weren't safe, and how much longer could they stay alive?

This has been a very long arc, hasn't it? :p Blog and Interlude combo next, and expect light to be shed ;)

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 32

Wow these last three chapters have been kinda long haven't they xD however I have to say the battle between Alaska and Surge was really awesome especially when Darwin jumped in to fight and started using Rage. As for chapter 32 well...that was honestly unexpected, I mean I was expecting a sort of break chapter after the battle but instead the city was attacked and a huge battle rang out. Though now it seems like even the League isn't to be trusted.

However one thing that bothered me about the last chapter and I only mean this as my opinion was that it got a little confusing at times with all the things that happened also I think you may have used a little too much description at some points while it is good to use a lot of description in some cases it could take some of the excitement away, however, like I said this is all just my opinion.

Also what was that weird purple Pokemon that Alaska saw?

I was worried it would get confusing so I dont mind that criticism, but a lot of the times when I find things go wrong and I fail to find a better way to write, I simply think that the part cant necessarily be improved: I was happy with the end product, but yes, a bit too much going on at times.

The Purple Pokemon has appeared before and is owned by someone we all know and hate ;)

The description is still there ;) It will be revealed in the Interlude in a few days anyway

Blog Seven: The Bright Side of Life

@WinterVines @Alaskapigeon

Blog Seven: The Bright Side of Life

Good evening loyal readers – what an interesting two days it's been since we last spoke. How have you been? Is that cold getting better? Did you watch the latest episode of 'The Real Housewives of Castelia City'? Did you do well on that maths test? You failed? That sucks. Well, I nearly got blown up twice, so ha ha, I win.

Yes, once again my dearest cyber friends that I've never met, I got involved in several bombings these past few days. But, you know me, I don't like looking on the negative side of things, it's just so… well, negative! So for today's blog, I thought I would look on the positive side of what's happened.

1) I met a lovely Nidoran on my way to Saffron who I decided to catch, and she was already named Nadia (this is a female Nidoran; after all, as Nadia is a boys name – I once knew a boy called Nadia, but I think was foreign. I mean, when has anyone from Kanto worn colourful suspenders for the fun of it?)

2) I met a lovely couple called Andy and Judy that run a breeding center. You should go and visit them as they gave me Nadia and Sandy a lovely egg that is apparently a Pichu. (Here's a brain tingler for you: what do you think hurts more, laying an egg or pushing a baby out of your HELLOOO SAILORS! ? )

3) The Underground Tunnel has a lovely chance to redecorate. I mean seriously: limited lightning, a dull colour scheme, a perfect hotspot for perverts and even more robots. Where's Queer Eye for the Straight Tunnel when you need them?

4) I finally have an awesome scar to actually prove I've got involved in all of these things. You see, this Electrode Bot exploded after Sandy and the Pokemon saved my ass (no thanks to that weird gun Bill gave me – FLARES, REALLY?), along with that mysterious shadowed man, and I got the full brunt of it and suffered a severe head wound. Ain't that just bitching yo? (Head injury = excuse for talking gangsta)

5) I got to meet ex Hoenn Champion Steven Stone! I didn't get autographs for you guys though… Hmmm, I wonder if auctioning off prizes would get me more viewers?

6) I had some hot chips. They were pretty choice, but if it wasn't for Steven revealing Bill suspected something about the blue lightning I would have finished them all.

Oh yes, I had a weird dream as well! It had blue flashing lighting and creepy silhouettes talking to me, just like a rave! Technically, this should be Number 5…

8)(Technically) Vermilion has a nice view, unless you dislike the colour blue, than I recommend you don't go there

9) I got to take part in my third gym battle. Probably not that great as Lt Surge (Lt of what, I ask? – being a douchebag? Having nice muscles? Being a douchebag?) was a bit of a dick – or a douchebag, call him what you want! But yes, I got to battle my ass off, which involved destroying his little mind game, using Paige to defeat Raichu (B-B-B-BOOO YAH!) and Darwin learning a new move, even though he continued to disobey me.

10) I got to see Zapdos and Suicune! ZOMG GUYS, I AM LIKE TOTS SERIOUS! Cause all these buildings totally began getting blown up and the entire dockyard got torn a new one, so these guys came swooping in and were all like "ZAP!" and this weird Pokemon was all like "BEAM!" and then their attacks were all like "BOOM!" Sandy, Mitchell and I nearly got killed, which is always fun, but than that thing from my dream appeared and protected me and then told me that everyone I know will be killed before me I keep trying to succeed my dreams. Than he healed my wound, leaving the scar, and everything went back to normal.

11) I got to get pushed around in a chair all day…. Which is nice.

So yes, that has been my past few days Let's see you try and top that one then…

In all seriousness, my dear readers, I am not in a good place. I have basically been told that if I continue to try and achieve my dreams, I am going to get killed, yet if I achieve them, I am only going to be disappointed. Steven told me that last part, and I am not sure if he was making this up or not, but I must admit is there on my thoughts: do I really want to work for the people who seem to be trying to control my life? Mitchell had a little tanty during the attack on Vermilion and revealed that all the gym leaders seem to be giving me attention, so I have a feeling they are watching me more than I would like.

And then there is good ol' Gideon: he blew up half of Vermilion and the majority of Chrono Island, and I only have a small idea as to what he may he be doing. I don't really know why he blew these things up, but he is a mad scientist after all, so surely he'll have some mad reason for doing so. But, quite frankly, I don't want to go after him. I don't see why I have to be the one to take him down: I only started my journey a few fricking weeks ago and now I am supposed to stop some terrorist? That is so nice of the gym leaders and elite people to put this on me – I should send them all a Christmas card.

But I mean really: I've got blue lightning zapping all around, some Pokemon giving me cryptic advice and headaches, a shadowed man following me around who I am not even sure if he is still alive or not, a bunch of robots following me like some electrical perverts, and I'm trying to work out what the gym leaders all want from me. Add that to a Paras that is still too afraid in battle, a Primeape that won't listen to me and even Nadia seems to have some seemingly aggressive tendencies as well. I am a trainer, not Jack Bauer, James Bond and G.I. Jane rolled into one! (Why all the J names I wonder? Jalaska should be my gangsta superhero name) I've got more problems than a Maths book with my Pokemon and I don't need to have all these mother fucking mysteries dumped on me by some wizened old dicks with wizened old dicks who can't fight this battle for themselves!

Before I go, here are some final questions for you?

1) Eggs or the good ol' birth canal? Thoughts?

2) What is Surge the Lieutenant of?

3) Who do you think is sending robots after me?

4) That mysterious man from the Beedrill's Nest: who do you think he is and is he still alive?

5) Any thoughts on how to deal with any of my Pokemon's problems?

6) Do Suicune and Zapdos still belong to Red? If so, why do you think they were in Vermilion?

If any of you have relatives who died in either the nuclear bombing or destruction of Vermilion, I am sorry for your loss. I still have no idea what to do, but it keeps feeling as if no matter what I do, I am going to have this war forced upon me. *sighs dramatically* As soon as the doctor clears me to leave, I am getting down to Fuchsia and as far away from all of this as I can, and hopefully not find some more mysteries along the way.

But, for the time being, I am going to focus on my training: I have completed my third step towards completing my goal, and I am making sure that, no matter what, I complete the final five.

Until next time,

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Alaska A.

Before you start going "Ooooh, she's going to Fuchsia instead!", she's not ;) But you won't find out where she is actually going for a little while...

Last edited:
Interlude Six: Within the Remnants of a War Zone
Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Blog 7

Interlude Six: Within the Remnants of a War Zone

The sun set at the tip of the horizon, leaving a distinct orange glow hovering over the very top of the water. Vermilion City was surrounded by water and the sun continued to reflect all around the sparkling surface, the last light of the sun seeming like a reminder of the explosions that had occurred, and almost perfectly reflecting the fires that were about to be put out.

Steven Stone stood at the very edge of the harbour, staring towards the scene in front of him. It was heart wrenching staring around the blackened and broken concrete, watching as fire fighters and their army of Water types moved around, putting out any remaining blazes, but most were beginning to pull away the wreckage, trying to find answers. In the very middle was a twisted pile of melted and broken metal, only a few hours ago a wall of colourful containers, full with goods and ready to be shipped out. Now it was only a metre taller than Steven, the bow of the container ship visible above it. The other half had fully submerged alongside the ferry, which suffered a hole to the hull from flying metal, but the bow remained above as there didn't seem to be any room left in the water. The second crane had ended up collapsing, knocking half of the remaining one down with it, and the fire fighters were trying to secure it before it crushed the workers below.

Steven couldn't even bear to think about what was behind him, finding the destroyed ships and metal more reassuring than the ruined city behind. Three apartment buildings had collapsed, killing hundreds and severely damaging the surrounding buildings and the streets below. Hundreds more had died from explosions in other buildings, but they thankfully remained. Many more people had been injured from falling and flying debris, and patients were being transferred to other medical centres in Celadon, Fuchsia, the Sevii Islands and Johto to make room for those injured.

However, in his many years on this planet, Steven had seen this all happen before: as the wars and battles built up, the more lives got lost and the more wreckage was left behind. He had lost count of how many events he had seen, but after Sinnoh Steven had hoped this period of peace would continue for many years to come. Yet here he was, watching as containers that hadn't been destroyed had the burnt remnants of their cousins heaved inside to be taken away, whilst floating cranes moved out towards the sunken vessels. It was a harrowing sight as it always was, and Steven could only wonder how much more of this would occur before Gideon or Buzz got their ways.

There was a muffled roar high above, and Steven only glanced up briefly to confirm it was who he had been suspecting before turning back to the sight. A moment later, a large Charizard landed with a thump in front of him, sending dirt and wreckage into the air as he flapped his wings. Steven shielded his eyes, but managed to see Red as he slid expertly down from the Fire types back.

"Thanks for that," Red said, pulling a PokeBall out. Charizard nodded, but Red paused, slipping the PokeBall away. "On second thought, can you go and see if there is anything you could do to help?"

"Zard," Charizard roared and pushed himself back into the sky, but remained lower and moved towards some fire fighters.

"Obedient Pokemon," Steven said with a nod. "I sent Metagross to help clear away some rubble to see if there was anyone trapped below. There isn't much I can do personally: I don't have the strength of my youth."

"You could come with me to the hospital later," Red said, moving alongside and staring off into the distance. "An ex-Champion would definitely help with morale."

"Possibly, but I think the current Champion would get more of the attention," Steven said with a slight smile before following his gaze. It felt weird standing alongside the young man and speaking those words: it was getting to a time where the older generation was going to have to step aside and let the new breed take over properly. Steven could already see Daisy Oak replacing her grandfather and wondered who would be replacing him in a few years time. The thought of leaving his life behind and retiring seemed depressing to Steven, but he had bigger fish to worry about.

"Surge agrees about the girl," Steven said. "He said she has character and strategy, but is too rash and doesn't have complete control over her Pokemon just yet. He thinks she has the potential to stop Gideon, but it would take some serious training to get her up to scratch. And it doesn't help that doesn't want anything to do with it."

"Misty and Brock agree?" Red asked.

"Indeed," Steven replied with a nod, but suddenly let out a sigh. "I am wondering if this is the right thing to do. If Alaska is unwilling to get involved, how can we trust her to act the way we want her to when the situation arises?" Red sighed as well, nodding along with his older counterpart.

"I feel the same way, but the league thinks it is best," he added. "They know sending me, Leaf or anyone else I know is a risk that we can't afford to take, and Alaska has gotten herself involved, so they've decided she can just… well, stay involved. I don't think it is right, but from what I gathered about Gideon during the times we met is that he will stop at nothing to achieve his goals and tie up all loose ends as long as it benefits him, and I think fighting Alaska is something he wants to get involved with." Steven let out a longer sigh and nodded, knowing Red was right but not happy with it.

"But how much longer can we allow her to go without proper guidance or leadership?" The old man said. "I don't think she knew that it was a Porygon-Z blowing up the town today, and none of us know what Gideon has planned next. How are we supposed to keep an eye on her?" Steven looked to Red for his answer but was stunned to see the Champion was smiling.

"Don't worry Steven," he said, beginning to walk off, "I've found a way to keep an eye on her." Steven was stunned, but suddenly the pieces clicked together in his mind: of course Zapdos and Suicune's appearances hadn't been a lucky coincidence. Steven would have laughed it hadn't been the wrong situation, and instead found himself staring once again at the scarred landscape in front of her: no matter whether he liked it or not, the battle was being put on Alaska's shoulders. As he walked off to join Red once more, Steven simply hoped she was ready.

High above the dockyard, Latios stared down at the damaged city.

He stared down at the harrowing site below, feeling torn and disappointed in himself: the Eon Pokemon had felt a disturbance throughout the city and should have acted faster, possibly being able to prevent the explosions from happening and Porygon-Z's subsequent attack. Latios should have tried to protect the city once it began, but he had a duty to Alaska he had to stick to.

Latios found it funny how he had this duty due to Steven standing far below, but as he invaded their minds and listening to the conversation, the Psychic Dragon found that it was the ex-Champion who was playing a role in attempting to stop Alaska. Latios could only wonder how things may have worked out if he had answered his call earlier: in the week since leaving the Dragon's Den, the Eon Pokemon had visited the path Alaska had already gone across, and had even been able to fix the brain-switch problem that had arisen. The powerful use of his Psychic abilities had drained him, only allowing Latios to move against the previous night and causing a major disruption in his plans.

The day had not gone well for Latios: he was worried about Alaska and what she would make of his warnings, and already felt drained from connecting himself to her in order to heal the wound. The Eon Pokemon felt tired even though he wasn't meant to be, but he knew he had to keep going: there was no time to stop.

A breeze suddenly rose up from behind him, and Latios was puzzled: the wind had been coming from the sea a moment before, after all. It took only a few seconds to wonder what it could be, and Latios smiled as purple energy began to form in his striped grey palm.

It must be very difficult to be subtle, Suicune, when the wind changes with your movements, Latios thought, before turning around. The trees and bushes behind him rattled and he clapped his hands together, unleashing a Dragon Pulse that spread across the field of grass around him. There was a shout and a bang, and Latios smiled as Suicune and Zapdos emerged from the foliage, looking fairly irritated.

I am not going to fight you, Latios said, putting his hands down. I only did that as a warning. I have my own mission to deal with and I don't need Red's servants trying to get in my way.

"Cune Sui Suicune Cune Cune Sui," Suicune said, staring angrily at Latios.

I have my own mission, I am not going to help you with yours! Latios said firmly.

"Zaaaap Dooos Zapdooos!" Zapdos called, and Latios foully turned around, not wishing to face them anymore.

You can watch Alaska if you wish, but I would rather she left this mission before she ends up dead because your league wants her to fight for them! Latios growled. Do not expect me to join in protecting her until she nears her death sentence: I will stop this quest if it is the last thing I do! Latios began to float into the sky, seeing the conversation as being over.

"Suicune Cune!" Suicune called. Latios suddenly came to a halt, stunned by what the Aurora Pokemon had said. Against his better judgement, the Eon Pokemon turned around to face the Water beast.

My sister? What of her? Latios asked, wondering if the power was slipping back to them, but he had not seen Latias for so many years.

"Cune Suicune Sui Cune Cune," Suicune explained.

"Dooooos Doooos Zaaaap Doooos," Zapdos added, and Latios was stunned: his sister had been captured four years ago? How had he not properly sensed this… or was this the feeing Latios had had some time ago? It was difficult to tell the time when inside a rock, but, thinking back, there had been a time when he had experienced discomfort. Latios could see his fellow legendaries seemed happy, but he wiped the smiles of their faces with a burst of blue lightning from the sky, blasting a bush apart.

I will go and see if what you say is true, Latios said, pleased that they had been stunned but not pleased at upsetting them. Than I will get back to my journey once I have this nagging pain at my heart settled. Latios tucked his arms and legs together and spread out his wings, and within a flash he was off into the air. He knew it was a foolish idea to leave his plan at the moment, but he needed to see where his sister was, possibly her love helping to make his own strength grow stronger. It shouldn't take long, especially with his speed, and within seconds Latios was flying over Saffron City.

The Johto League Champion was about to get a visit.

Sorry if the part was a bit iffy, but I was more answering some long standing questions within this part, so sorry if it sucked writing wise :p That is the last of 8ES for a few weeks as I work on a new Galactic, but it will be back next month! Feel free to check out The GalacticVerse community to see other stories that will be involved as in the next few arcs a lot of these old stories are going to play huge roles.

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Interlude 6

Hey Acetrainer14,

I just started reading this, about four chapters in. Just wanted to say how awesome this story is.

From the prologue on, you are very talented in your writing style. Great imagery (the orange and yellow fist description in the beginning comes to mind, among others), and it's really cool how you format it with the points of view. The prologue's aura of mystery and epicness got me really excited and hooked me in as a reader, which is an awesome skill to possess.

I loved your portrayal of Red and Leaf and the amount of depth they have with their back stories. And I love how you characterize Pokemon as actual characters in your story while still making the story realistic.

Just really well written and enjoyable to read.

Im going back to reading now. I regret that it's taken me this long to start this.

Well I am glad you are enjoying and thank you very much for the feedback :) This is one of the series I feel is better to read in one big batch, as there are a lot of plot points readers seem to have forgotten as the series continues :p But I hope you enjoy the rest of the series and thanks once again, I always appreciate some hearty feedback

So Latios was the one that had been watching over Alaska and communicating with her xD. Now that answers a lot though now I'm kind of sad since Red is actually helping the League in using Alaska, this means she can't really trust anybody. Also congrats on not making the Reality Stars appear for one whole arc xD however it seems like the fic has taken a different direction from what it was back when it started.

Red is forced to help the league, but as he said, he is helping her out by having Suicune and Zapdos follow her so that she isn't totally alone. And what do you mean by a different turn? I am rather interested to hear what you have to say.

Ah, ok. Well, it was always going to take a more serious path, though I can assure it will continue to have its light moments and a lot of comedy, with a hopefully funny scene coming up in the next part

Chapter Thirty Three: Oh the Analogies

@Alaskapigeon @WinterVines

Eight Easy Steps has returned for another batch! Hopefully the wait hasnt been too long and the short breaks won't be too long either before the next Galactic! A new arc has begun, so let us rejoin Alaska and Sandy.

Chapter Thirty Three: Oh the Analogies

"You know what Alaska: I find this situation a wee bit ironic!"

"What situation?" Alaska replied in a bored tone, not knowing what would come of this.

"Well, just the other day you were complaining about how I was walking too slowly and told me to catch up, but now you're the one lagging behind and I am the one in the lead!" Sandy seemed pretty pleased at herself and found this rather funny. However, Alaska came to a halt and glared towards her: if it hadn't been dark, Sandy would have received one of the ugliest and angriest looks she had ever received, but instead she simply stopped and tried to see why Alaska wasn't moving.

"Sandy, are you forgetting about my leg?" Alaska said bitterly, wincing as she raised her cane up and dangled in for Sandy to see. Sandy stared at it and gasped in her usual dramatic manner, clasping her hands to her mouth and acting as if someone had just been brutally slaughtered before her.

"Oh my god Alaska, I am sooo sorry, I keep forgetting!" She said, rushing forwards and giving her a tight apologetic hug before Alaska got a chance to object. "It's just that your head suddenly healed and we've left the hospital, and I keep thinking you're fully healed, I am so sorry!"

"It is fine," Alaska grunted, "I was merely pointing it out. Now please let go of me before you snap my back in two!" Sandy let go, looking even more apologetic, and Alaska merely brushed the situation aside as she walked forwards, trying to make out a way to go in the strange tunnel they had entered.

It had been three days since the Vermillion harbour had exploded and no one officially knew who or what was responsible, but Alaska knew that it simply had to be Gideon: just like with the nuclear bomb, there was no one else that would possibly do such a thing, even if no one knew why. Alaska had wanted to help but had been forced to stay in hospital under doctor's orders, claiming that they had to wait and see in case her head injury got worse but secretly the doctors wanted to know how it had happened. Alaska didn't want to reveal that Latios has saved her: she didn't want to draw any attention towards herself and knew that having a legendary following her was going to stir something up. Instead, she just said her family had a history of healing quickly and kept her secret to herself, not even telling Sandy or her Pokemon: it would merely cause them worry, and Alaska didn't need anything else to disturb them.

Steven had lingered around and Alaska had heard Red had been around, though she never personally saw him. The ex-Hoenn champion was unwilling to discuss the explosion, and Alaska felt rather annoyed to suddenly be shunned asides when he had appeared so open towards helping her. It could just be the fact he was busy, but Alaska found him asking too many questions about her to counter the ones she asked him, and had a feeling the champion had changed his mind and now wanted her to assist with putting a stop to Gideon. She couldn't be sure, but also didn't want to have them following her and try to pull her towards any dramas, so she gave them a false lead as to where they were going: hopefully Alaska would manage a brief amount of time to focus on training and her journey as she travelled through Diglett's Cave.

It seemed like a brilliant idea at the time, and as soon as the doctor said she could go, warning her about not stressing her leg out too much, Alaska had led Sandy towards the cave, tucked away in the city's surrounding cliffs. However, it had now been nearly two hours of wandering around and Alaska had no idea where she was going. Sandy had brought a torch at a shop near the hospital and it provided a narrow beam of light, but it wasn't enough to fully distinguish things. There were a lot of sharp corners that turned rather suddenly in their dim lighting, and Alaska was getting annoyed as she had hoped to have made more progress. Instead, her leg caused her to hobble along and she could barely follow Sandy and the dim amount of light they had. It might have been fine if they had seen a Pokemon, but not a single Pokemon that they could possibly train against had shown up.

"This is getting boring," Sandy said, almost in a summary to Alaska's thoughts as they turned another bend. The light reflecting off the ways showed this passage was a lot wider and straighter, but it still didn't look very exciting.

"For once I agree with you," Alaska thought with a sigh, rubbing her leg painfully. "Shall we sit down and see if the Pokemon want to come out?"

"Oooh yes, that sounds fun!" Sandy said excitably and leapt down towards a rock. Alaska began lowering herself down just as Sandy screamed and leapt up, clutching her rear. The torch spun through the air and Alaska quickly caught it, wondering what Sandy was screaming about. The beam of light caught something right where she had been about to sit: a Diglett, with its curved body and red nose, had pushed its way through the ground in the exact place Sandy had been about to sit.

"Digle Dig Digle Dig," the Diglett said cheerfully, but suddenly ducked as Sandy swung her leg over its head.

"Silly thing, you nearly hit me!" Sandy huffed, but turned around as there was a thud. She gasped as she saw Alaska had fallen to the ground and was about to rush over and see if she was alright, but Sandy was stunned to see Alaska was laughing. It wasn't quiet and reserved, instead the exact opposite: her laugh echoed around the cave and sounded like a foghorn that had swallowed some canned laughter. It was rather strange to see Alaska, who usual showed her humour in snappy comebacks and kept the rest of her emotions and thoughts to herself, roaring with laughter on the floor of the cave.

"Why exactly are you laughing about?" A confused Sandy asked, looking around to try and see what had set her friend off. Alaska tried to silence herself in order to answer properly, but her laughter simply pushed through.

"You nearly… sat… on a… Diglett!" Alaska explained breathlessly, clutching her sides and unable to contain herself. Saying it aloud set of another chain of laughter, and Alaska continued to laugh until tears streamed down her face, the pain in her leg rising up her back and her cane prodding into her side. It was immature and relatively an overreaction, but Alaska was unable to contain herself.

"What is so funny about that?" Sandy asked indignantly, nearly setting Alaska off again. Sandy stared down at the Diglett to try and see why it was amusing, only to find the Pokemon looked rather confused at the situation itself.

"Can't you see what a Diglett may look like and see why I may find it hilarious you nearly sat on it with that particular area?" Saying this caused Alaska to burst into a fit of giggles she tried to contain by covering her mouth, staring at Sandy's confused look. The blonde stared down at the Diglett, examining every inch of it in the dim light from the torch, trying to work out what Alaska was on about, when suddenly she remembered something from a R-rated comedy she'd seen a bit of on TV.

"Oh my god Alaska, that's sick!" Sandy gasped, looking down at her friend in horror and disgust. Alaska found the reaction hilarious and burst into laughing again, rolling onto her back as her roar echoed, but didn't notice as Sandy snatched the torch and moved briskly away. "You stay here and be immature, I'll try and find where to go next!" And without another word, Sandy thumped away, leaving Alaska in the dark.

"Come on Sandy, it was just teasing!" Alaska called but got no form of response. "Damnit!" She cursed under her breath and grabbed her cane, beginning to push herself up. Her laughter had been brought on by several days of seriousness with little humour, and having a piece of comedy gold thrust upon her was something Alaska simply couldn't resist after dealing with all the past dreariness. However, it seemed Sandy hadn't seen it that way, and Alaska didn't want her friend to be angry with her.

"Wait up, I can't move quickly!" Alaska called, limping after Sandy with more pain than before from rolling on the ground. Sandy seemed to have found a natural staircase leading up towards another level and was proceeding up there, leaving Alaska to feel her way in the dark. "This is really unsafe you now," she called out, having to prod each step with her cane so she knew where it was. "I could easily fall over in this dark!"

"You should have thought of that before you laughed at me!" Sandy retorted. Alaska rolled her eyes as she tried to feel her way, the light getting further away.

"Why are you overreacting to this?" She called back. "I didn't mean to upset you, but I just thought it was funny! We quite clearly have different senses of humour, but there's no need to run off!" Sandy didn't reply to this one, and she was getting too far away. Alaska wasn't going to apologise if she was just walking away and had to do something, and reached into her pocket for a PokeBall.
"Paige, I need you to stop her!" Alaska said, the red light briefly lighting up her path and allowing her to climb the last two steps with clear vision. The light disappeared as Paige formed, barely visible in the dark but had received her order.

"Pidge Pidge Pidgey!" She called, and took off towards the torch beam, which seemed to have stopped moving. Alaska wondered if Sandy had decided to stop and discuss things, and at the same time was simply glad to get a chance to move forwards, but was taken aback as another burst of red light appeared near her.

"Butterfree, Confusion!" Sandy said with a slight huff.

"Free Free," Butterfree said, not able to know who she was truly attacking in the darkness. Her Compoundeyes revealed something before her and gave better vision, but she had no way of knowing it was her friend as her eyes flashed pink.

"OTTO!" Paige gasped, crashing into something nearby. Alaska gasped and hobbled forwards as fast as she could, her cane catching Paige as she fell down from the roof.

"Paige, are you alright?" Alaska asked, unable to bend down due to her knee but staring sympathetically and curiously down. Butterfree hovered over, looking confused and shocked at what had happened, but Paige was thankfully alright, quickly getting up. Alaska smiled in relief, but quickly turned angrily towards Sandy. "What was that for? Paige could have been seriously hurt?"

"What was that for?" Sandy snapped back. "I should ask you the same thing! You didn't seem to think if I would get hurt as you just laughed at me for about five minutes!"

"Sandy, it was only a joke, and I was more laughing at the situation that you," Alaska tried to explain, her tone getting a bit exasperated, but Sandy simply sniffed.

"I am sure that'll make you feel better!" She whimpered. "That's exactly what people use to say to me! Oh Sandy, we weren't really laughing at you, I promise!, Oh Sandy dear, your just overreacting, I am sure that wasn't what happened! Oh Sandy, just take a few deep breathes and calm down! Well, I am not going to take that from you!" She said with a tone that was both thunderous and emotional at the same time. "I've had people mocking me for the way I think and the way I act for too long! Just because I'm airy and don't grasp things straight away people just label me stupid and use it as a chance to take the mickey out of me! I had accepted getting it from them, but I never expected it from you!"

"Sandy, I never knew!" Alaska gasped, shocked and taken aback by this sudden revelation, suddenly feeling guilt building up in her.

"The thing is Alaska, I think you do just think I'm stupid and silly and weird!" Sandy huffed, her voice cracking slightly. "You never seem to want to discuss things with me and never want to just talk! You just spent the past few days in hospital and you ignored all my attempts to start a conversation, even though I was the one who practically told you to use Metal Claw on Voltorb, and I can see your eyes flashing whenever I suggest something you haven't thought of! I know you don't really want to focus about all this drama and just focus on the journey, but I also know that you are trying to piece things together in your mind and trying to work all of this out. If you just put a little bit more trust in me and shared your thoughts than we could try and work out what is going on together, but if you just think I'm stupid and airy than this friendship isn't going to work!" Alaska was shocked, completely taken aback by the sudden outburst: she had always seen Sandy as a bit airy, over dramatic and annoying at times and had secretly found it a bit silly and amusing, but had no idea that this was offending her. Had she really been ignoring her and shunning her away from trying to solve the mysteries around them?

"Sandy, I had no idea you felt this way and I had no idea you wanted to help!" Alaska said quietly, taking a step forwards and trying to look sympathetic, but Sandy turned away with tears in her eyes.

"Don't bother, I don't need sympathy from you!" She said. "I am happy with how I act, now you just need to feel the same!" And without another word, the blonde marched to the side. Alaska thought she was going to jump down into the path below, but saw Sandy was instead heading for a bridge hidden in the dark. Alaska glanced at Paige and saw she was equally as shocked, but Butterfree was moving quickly over to Sandy to console her.

"This is intense!" Alaska whispered to her Pidgeotto. "I had no idea she was this serious about things, did you?" Paige shook her head, and Alaska watched the torchlight as it moved further away, wondering why Sandy had never mentioned being bullied for her airy nature before. Guilt was wrapped around her, and Alaska had no idea quite what to do or say, still thrown by what Sandy had said and trying to work out the times that she may have offended her friend.

"Pidge Pidgey Otto Otto Pidge," Paige whispered, urging Alaska forwards with her wing. It seemed the light had stopped moving, and sniffles and sobbing could be heard from a distance. Alaska couldn't just ignore her friend in this time of need, and knew that sitting down and talking about this, while a bit too girly and serious for her liking, could be an easy way to clear the air now.

"Sandy, do you want to talk about this?" Alaska asked kindly, smiling as she advanced forwards, but Sandy hastily sniffed and swivelled around, almost as if trying to find her way forwards.

"Not right now Alaska, I need some time to myself!" Sandy huffed, sobbing more than before. Alaska had never had to deal with a close human friend before, but had a feeling that Sandy did really want to talk and continued forwards, trying to seem sensitive, but it seemed to only annoy Sandy more. "Are you even listening to me? This is exactly what I am talking about Alaska, you never listen! I DON'T want to talk right now!" Sandy yelled, stamping her foot down on the 'don't'. However, as soon as she did, a crack echoed throughout the tunnel. Everyone froze, not quite sure what this meant, but than several more cracks occurred. No one knew what to do, everyone simply looking around in shock and trying to think of a solution.

"Sandy, stay – ," Alaska began, but it was too late: she gasped as there was the loudest crack of all, and suddenly Sandy was screaming, light spinning around as the torch fell down to the path below. "NO!" Alaska yelled, and leaned over the side as the torch landed on the ground, shattering and taking all the light with it. She clutched at her chest in shock as she stared down into the darkness, no way of knowing what had happened to Sandy…

Originally this was going to be a discussion about all the events that had occured, but I decided to save that for another point in the next arc as I wanted to focus on Alaska and Sandy's friendship, both with revealing a bit about Sandy and getting Alaska to confront how she mocks Sandy a bit. However, all of Sandy's backstory won't be revealed for a little while yet and this will set up some new aspects in their friendship. I also hope to try and squeeze some more Pokemon development in that this chapter didn't really allow for, as I think Pokemon like Nadia and Bellsprout need more personality. However, let's just wait and see what happens next :)

Chapter Thirty Four: A Shiny New Puzzle Piece
Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 33

Chapter Thirty Four: A Shiny New Puzzle Piece

"SANDY!" Alaska screamed, leaning down over the edge and staring into the darkness below. "SANDY, ARE YOU ALRIGHT?" Her heart was pounding against her chest as her fingers touched the wooden bridge that only a few moments ago had been solid and fine standing. Alaska had no idea what had happened, only guessing that the bridge was old and had snapped when Sandy stamped her foot, but she really didn't care about how things had happened. Her only focus was on whether her friend was alright, and Alaska desperately tried to make something out in the darkness beneath her, guilt beginning to rise up as she knew that it would all be her fault if something bad had happened.

"Alaska!" Sandy suddenly gasped, and Alaska breathed with relief and exchanged a slight smile with Paige that her friend seemed alright. "Alaska, you need to pull me up, I can't hold on much longer!"

"Pull you up?" Alaska said, turning back around, her little moment of happiness slipping away. She had presumed that Sandy had fallen to the ground but hadn't been knocked out, but Alaska was stunned to realize the situation was very different: judging by the sway of the wood against her fingertips, Sandy was hanging onto the bottom of her half of the bridge for dear life. There was no real way of knowing how far down she had to fall or what could lie beneath if she did so, leaving the only option to pull Sandy up.

"Don't worry, just hang on!" Alaska called.

"Oh ha ha, very funny!" Sandy snapped, grunting as she clutched tightly onto the bridge.

"That pun was unintentional," Alaska called back, realizing how stupid it had been to say something like that based on the reason why they were here. She quickly reached into her bag and pulled out two PokeBalls as Paige and Butterfree came over. The Butterfly Pokemon seemed rather shocked by the incident, and Alaska knew her Confusion wouldn't be enough to save Sandy in this darkness.

"Don't worry, we'll get her out," Alaska said warmly, trying to seem reassuringly but was too worried about Sandy's safety to be sure. She unleashed the two PokeBalls, and the red light highlighted the situation they were in: the bridge snapped almost cleanly into two, both halves now hanging on as the supports bent dangerously. And there was Sandy, looking petrified as she clung helplessly onto her half of her bridge with her legs flailing. As the light faded instantly, Alaska knew they had to move fast before the entire bridge collapsed.

"Para Para," Frances called in the dark behind her.

"Nido Ran Ran!" Nadia added, Alaska sensing her moving around curiously. Realistically, Alaska would have sent Darwin out and used his monkey abilities to rescue Sandy and put an end to this, but there was no way of knowing if he would obey a simple but important order like that. Alaska turned to face the four females behind, knowing they couldn't see her, knowing the two new arrivals would be rather confused, and not knowing if her plan was going to work at all, but it was something she had to try.

"Alright, we need to move swiftly," Alaska explained. "I am going to lean down and give Sandy my cane to grab onto: I need you four to hold onto me to stabilize me, or to help lower me down if I have to. There is no time for arguments or anything like that, we just need to move, alright?" She couldn't see if they agreed or disagreed in the black, but there were no verbal protests, so she took that as a good sign. "Alright, that's good then! Let's just get this over with before any of those Diglett coming poking around."

"Oh ha ha!" Sandy snapped. "Can you stop with the innuendos for one moment? My life is hanging in the balance!"

"That was unintentional!" Alaska called back irritably, trying not to giggle as Sandy's own little pun. However, all signs of laughter stopped as soon as Alaska moved towards the edge: staring down into the darkness below was unsettling, especially as she had no way of knowing what would happen now that the light had gone. But she had made the promise and the declaration, and Alaska couldn't back away now, especially not after the worse things she had been through.

"Here goes nothing," she whispered, and leaned over the edge. Blood instantly rushed to her head as she dangled over the side, and Alaska instantly knew it wouldn't be a comfortable experience but had to soldier on regardless. "Sandy, you need to grab onto my cane, if you can!"

"How am I supposed to see it?" Sandy cried back, and Alaska cursed, forgetting to factor the darkness into the equation.

"Just feel out for it!" She yelled back. She could feel her pants tightening as the four Pokemon grabbed onto them for support, and Alaska had a horrible image of her pants tearing and her sprawling onto the ground below. She forced all negative thoughts out and focused on lowering her cane down, using her other hand to hold onto the bridge for extra support. The wooden structure didn't seem to enjoy the added tension and began t creak, something that didn't happen Alaska's worries of the plan.

"Have you got it?" Alaska called, tapping the cane against the wood and hoping she missed Sandy's head. She felt the cane touch something as she swung it around, and held it steady in an attempt for Sandy to grasp on. She felt something loosely tug down, and a smile crossed her face as the cane was tugged firmly down.

"GOT IT!" Sandy yelled ecstatically. Alaska would have punched the air in happiness if she could, but instead had to focus on using both hands to hold tightly onto the cane now that Sandy's weight had shifted. The Pokemon let out cries of delight back on solid ground, but they now had a difficult mission to get Sandy back up: the Pokemon were going to struggle with both weights now, the bridge was clearly unstable and could go at any moment, and a breeze had suddenly erupted inside the tunnel. Dust and sand was blowing into Alaska's eyes as she had to turn away to avoid it, hoping it wouldn't impair the operation.

"Alright Sandy, just hold onto the cane and use your feet to walk up the bridge to try and help us out!" Alaska explained, feeling a sudden tug as the Pokemon began to pull her back up. There was an angry tutting sound from below, and Alaska realised she had annoyed her friend once more.

"Well of course I am going to use my feet to walk Alaska, I am not that stupid!" Sandy huffed. Alaska rolled her eyes, not intending for her comment to be taken that way, but she knew that amends had to be made.

"Sandy, I am sorry for laughing so hard," Alaska said, trying not to sound irritated. "It was a mean of me and I had no idea that it would upset you that way, but I do think you overreacted. We wouldn't be in this situation if you hadn't run off! We both just need to build a bridge and get over this."

"STOP WITH THE PUNS!" Sandy shouted, sending a shock through Alaska's body.

"IT WAS UNINTENTIONAL!" She yelled back, her arms beginning to strain the longer Sandy clung on, and her head was beginning to feel strange as nearly all the blood in her body moved towards it. Despite the initial strong tug, the Pokemon were struggling to maintain a hold of the two girls, and Alaska and Sandy were barely moving.

"I don't care if it was intentional or not, it still hurt!" Sandy said, sounding tearful once more but also a lot closer, the sounds of her feet walking up the bridge coming close to Alaska. "Did you even listen before? I have had bullying all my life for the simple matter that I like to view things differently, and therefore I deserve it! I may have accepted getting it from other people, but never from the only human friend I've ever had!" Alaska was taken aback by this, so surprised by this last statement that her fingers slipped slightly. "ALASKA, HOLD ON!" Sandy yelled, kicking at the bridge in an attempt to stop herself from slipping. Alaska quickly recovered and grasped back on, but Sandy's kicking had more far reaching consequences.

There was a crack as one foot collided, and a second as the kick struck. Before anyone knew it, one half of the bridge suddenly swung out. Alaska was still trying to adjust herself and hold on as she felt the bridge sway beneath her, and Sandy screamed as her feet fell loose.

"CALM DOWN!" Alaska cried, stunned by the sudden change in the situation. "You four, pull harder!" She called back to the Pokemon, but she had noticed that they had slipped during Sandy's kicking and the bridge snapping. The bridge continued to sway on the last wooden hold it had left, and Sandy's legs flailed as if they had no choice but to keep on kicking. "Sandy, you need to calm down!"

"Why did you nearly let go of me?" Sandy cried, trying to grasp onto the cane as sweaty hands slipped across its surface. Alaska was struggling to hold on herself, both the rush of blood, the strain of her arms and the sweat gathering on the cane, but she couldn't help but push this all aside as she looked towards where she expected Sandy to be, expecting their eyes to meet through the black.

"I nearly let go because I was surprised," Alaska said seriously. "Not because I was surprised you had no friends… though that sounded kind of mean, but ignore that! What I am trying to save is that I have never had any human friends either... not for the past few years at least. It has just been me and Paige, and while I would never exchange that for anything in the world, it could be lonely at school without anyone with me. I have always been a free spirit and enjoyed being by myself, but when we began travelling together, I realised what it was like to have a human friend and someone to travel with that could actually reply in English." There was a crack, and Alaska and Sandy both cried out as the rest of the bridge disappeared, crashing down below to join the torch. Their bodies crashed against the side, the jagged rocks prodding into them, and Alaska gulped as her body slipped forwards.

"I am sorry for laughing, but I just needed to let my stress out," Alaska said quickly. "I just hope we can get passed this and move on. I can't promise I won't be bitchy or anything again as I was born a bitch and will damn well die insulting the doctors around me if I can, but I can promise to fill you in one as many of my theories about what is going on around us as I can, as it's the least you deserve after dragging you into it."

"Do you promise?" Sandy called in a shriek, their bodies swaying dangerously over the edge. Alaska could feel the cane slipping through her fingers, the pain in the front half of her body uncomfortable and nearing unbearable, but she lunged forwards with one of her hands.

"Of course," she said, the determination of holding her friend up showing in her voice as she grasped onto Sandy's hands, the cane slipping away and crashing to the ground. They were close enough now that Alaska could make out a few of Sandy's features, and though the sudden breeze had picked up and was now gushing sand over them, she could see the light in her friend's eyes and the wide beam of her smile. Alaska didn't quite know where the friendship was going to go from her, and wasn't quite sure what it was going to be like, but, for once in her life, she was willing to see what it would be like to have a true human friend.

Than they began to fall.

It was so unexpected that it took Alaska a few seconds to register: one second she was straining to hold up her new best friend, trying to work out what it was going to be like to have this close relationship with somebody, and the next she was beginning to fall down. Alaska noticed her stomach and heart seemingly turning and her head throbbing from the rush of blood around it, and registered that while something was still holding onto the bottom of her pants, it seemed that they weren't doing a very good job of keeping them still.

"AAAAAHHH!" Sandy screamed as they suddenly seemed to gather speed. Alaska wondered if this was just because of the darkness disorientating her, or the fact she now fully registered she was falling making things speed up, but either way she felt a scream brewing in the back of her throat as well. She clung onto Sandy's hands, not letting go of her even if they were about to die. She had no way of knowing when they would hit the ground, but there was no way to stop them either. It seemed cruel for both girls to suffer this when they had only just found their first true human friend, but Alaska shut her eyes and braced for impact, the only lesson she could truly take from all the disasters that had happened to her was that life had never planned on being fair to her….

And than all she could see was blue.

The bright light shone through her eyelids, and Alaska convinced herself for a moment that she had painlessly hit the ground and had instantly moved onwards to death. However, she could feel Sandy's hands still holding tightly to hers and felt the Pokemon clinging onto her leg, and knew that something else was occurring. Alaska wondered if this was the same strange Pokemon that had rescued her in Vermillion, but there was no strange voices sounding in her head, leaving her with no choice but to open her eyes and see what had happened.

The source of the mystery was uncertain, but the first thing Alaska could see was that they were now hurtling towards a fountain of water that was rising up to meet them. It was glowing brighter than any sunlit ocean Alaska had ever seen, casting a radiant light that lit up every crack and every rock around them. Alaska turned to see Diglett and their three headed evolution Dugtrio were emerging all around at the sudden appearance of the glowing water. She could see stunned looks across Paige, Frances, Nadia and Butterfree's faces, and moved her leg closer despite the pain in attempt to draw them forwards, feeling Sandy's fingernails digging into her hand in fear and for an attempt at comfort at the same time. But before Alaska could bring them close, her back crashed into the water and she instantly sunk through.

The feeling was strange as Alaska slowed down, the water cushioning her speed. All sounds became distant and eerie, and she could feel the water all around her, yet Alaska couldn't feel her clothes going wet. All she could really see was the bright blue light from the water, four shimmering shapes signalling the Pokemon crashing down above her. She had no idea exactly what this water was or where it came from, and just as Alaska tried to put together a formula she began to spin.

Oh, what the fuck now? Alaska thought irritably, her whole body beginning to feel strange as they spun through the air. She was so passed having all these supernatural things happen to her that it was becoming more of a drag than something exciting or interesting, and she knew that it was only going to add something new to the greater mystery.

But as Alaska continued to spin, she found her mind focussing more on that than anything else. Her body didn't seem to be bumping into anything, instead feeling much stranger and somehow more lightweight. The light continued to shine and Alaska couldn't see anything except blue burning into her eyes. The number of sensations she was feeling at the moment were confusing and bordering on unbearable, but Alaska tried to stay focussed and find out what was going on. She caught something move out to the side, and she did her best to try and follow what it was, though the spinning made it unbearable. All she could make out was that it seemed to be glowing as well, with a familiar purple cape fluttering on its back…

But just as Alaska tried to work out why Suicune had saved them from a nasty fall, everything went dark. Alaska could still feel the water over her and could feel that they were going faster, but everything else was dark and a blur. Her entire body felt like it was getting compressed, her head being squashed out of proportion. Alaska was forced to shut her eyes, still feeling the spinning sensation throughout her entire body and trying to work out exactly what was going on.

But as quickly as this had all started, Alaska suddenly found relief: she was sort of spat out of the water, one second spinning and trying to spin and the next shooting through the air. Sunlight burned through her eyelids, and Alaska opened them in time to see a meadow of green grass coming up to meet them.

"FUCK!" Alaska yelled, colliding into the hard ground and feeling a shockwave run throughout her entire body, particularly feeling it in her leg. She rolled forwards a few feet and heard several more thuds, turning over to see the four Pokemon groaning as well.

"Alaska!" A voice shrieked, and Alaska didn't even get a chance to sit up before she felt one of Sandy's familiar, rub crushing hugs. "Oh Alaska, I thought we were going to die! Where did that water come from? And where are we?" Alaska wanted to tell her to let go, but she found the hug rather comforting after having shouted at each other only a few minutes ago. In answer to her first question, Alaska knew she was going to have to tell her what she saw: this incident had mainly made her realize that Sandy was her only human ally that she could truly trust, unlike Steven and Bill, and was the only person who could share in her opinions. However, she had no idea the answer to the second.

"I have no bloody clue where we are," Alaska said, looking up at the cliffs around them that they possibly had come out of, but they could truly be anywhere: whoever had designed Kanto had clearly decided to surround everything with towering cliffs, the equivalent of settling to painting your house interior one colour, and therefore there was no true sign of where they were.

"YOU!" A second shriek erupted behind them, and while Sandy and the Pokemon turned in shock, Alaska simply stifled a groan and tried not to turn around and instinctively raise a fist: of course they had ended up next to them, of course they had been sent to join them. The cruel hand of fate, and seemingly Suicune's water, all wanted to save Alaska's life and then screw her over the next minute, and really this shouldn't have come as a surprise.

"YOU!" The voice said, this time a lot louder and a lot closer. Alaska couldn't really ignore her when she was standing so close, and looked up with a smile, trying to keep her composure. Suicune had seemingly just saved her life, but Alaska wasn't really sure if anything would be able to stop the true wrath of a scorned Chloe Carmichael.

The next few chapters will have the reality stars, yes, but they are a necessary part of the story and the main reason she went on her journey in the first place, so let's try not to complain about them returning too much :p Hope to have some mroe Pokemon development over the next few chapters as well, so look out for that :D

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom