• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 100

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 70

Thanks for the feedback @Beth Pavell. Let's be honest: you have read this much more recently than I have, and while I can remember the majority, a lot of what you have said is a good reminder for when I go back and do some solid rewriting :p (though Galactic comes first, as that shit be a nightmare).

I will say that the story it is now is nothing really like how it originally was, as I have clearly improved in writing over the past four years and a lot has moved in in terms of storyline and such. So don't expect 90 chapters of what you have read (though I am sure some would say otherwise). If your expecting Dawn of Darkness level, since you seem to like that, you aren't going to get something like that here, so don't think that is how the story will turn out.

I can't say a lot right now since it is quite early and you do have to really read and explore and find out a lot in this. Your comments are useful for editing though, and I do look forward to fixing some of these old chapters and giving them the significant spruce up they need.

Hiya, Ace. For this season's awards I had the privilege of getting to judge your story, and am here to leave my review! If you feel that I've made any incorrect judgements or have any questions, I'll do my best to answer~

((spoiler'd cuz dis long as fudge))
How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps

Plot
I'll be honest, when it comes to the plot, I feel like I'm reading a true novel at times. There's so many different plot lines, mysteries, and events that take place in the story that it truly feels like one big universe. I'm actually quite amazed at what you've managed to do here, and how you're able to handle this large amount of storytelling at one time.

The plot itself, however, is similar to other stories and even the games. While going on a badge quest in Kanto and having to take down Team Rocket isn't the most original, you've avoided some pre-reading worries by getting rid of the majority of Team Rocket. The format of get badges > defeat evil > defeat champion is still the same, yet feels a bit different. Perhaps it's because the story is so long and many other topics have been expanded on rather than just the basic plot, but compared to other fanfiction the plot of the story really wows me.

Setting
Kanto is rather... Kanto, in this story. You've taken the the proper amount of time to describe areas in good detail, but there's nothing that screams original to me in regards to the setting of the story. There are some places/buildings unique to the story, but beyond that there's not much.

In terms of world-building, however, you do an excellent job of making references to shows/other mediums in real life. The entire Pokemon world is rather expansive in itself here, an that's really cool to see.

Characterization
The characters in 8ES are, to say the least, very well characterized. There's also a lot of them, which is quite the accomplishment itself. To count the main ones, there's Alaska, Sandy, Ex-Team Rocket, and the cast of Indigo Dreams. There's the Pokémon, also.

Alaska's character has been built very well, but I often forget her age. It's very odd to me how she's able to continually move on from each traumatic experience with nothing to show for it. In the current arc it seems that some of those issues are being dealt with and the reader realizes that what Alaska does is really due to her age. She's stubborn and wants to do things her own way, which is quite spot-on for a 13 year old girl.

Sandy is also quite a good character. Her back story is tad a overdown, I'd say, but I like her goal. Most trainers in the Pokemon world seem to only travel to compete, but Sandy just wants to explore. That in itself is a pretty cool thing about her. ((Have more comments on here down below~~))

For a villain, I really like Gideon. He isn't stupid but isn't the smartest person to have ever walked the earth, though he does like to act like it. His goal is a mystery but we know that he likes to make a ruckus, and it's nice to see that he isn't always doing something with a plan in mind. Evil doesn't always have a goal when they do things.

Buzz is quite the opposite. He's pretty dumb and just wants your stereotypical evil mastermind things. But he has a background, personality, goal, and adds to the plot. His character isn't the most original, but it fills its job very nicely. The same can be said for Amanda.

For a rival, Chloe is... A bitch. But aren't most of them? :p Again, she isn't anything special, but she acts her age, has a background, and while her goal isn't all that clear, crushing Alaska is certainly on her list of things to do. Damian and Lachlan are quite the same, bar the bitchiness. They're just your typical teenage boys, and it's nice to have some characters in the series who aren't... well, crazy. ^^

Style
I rather like 8ES's style, and it has a nice overall tone. At times I think that we could get a better understanding of Alaska if it was told in first person, but at others I think that we don't really need it, as it would ruin the plot. Generally, the chapters flow quite well.

However, and I don't know whether this is more stylistic or technical, but I found that in some of the chapters a character's thoughts are not italicized, where in others they are. I would like to see some more consistency in this regard, as it's confused me a bit already.

Technical
In every chapter there's at least one typo, whether it be something small or something quite noticeable. Sometimes it's "then" instead of "than" or just a small spelling error. Either way, there's no sign of these mistakes going away as the story progresses, which is quite a shame. It seems to me that another proof read of two would do some good in this field.

Overall
This story is a large one, to say the least. It has explosions, humor, psychopaths, robots, spies, bitches, dark themes, cuteness, and birds that breath fire. So pretty much everything.

As I said before, I think that in the grand scheme of things, this story is an excellent example of how to tell multiple stories at once. It effectively weaves in character's backgrounds, character's futures, and the present story of main, supporting, and minor characters. Each character, while maybe not the most interesting, has some personality to them, and the reader can get a feeling for each one of them.

While the story has some (and only a few) strong resemblances to the original Red and Blue games, you do a great job of incorporating events, topics, and characters never seen in the franchise. It's a perfect example of a Pokemon fanfiction that actually seems like a story taking place in the Pokemon world.

However, there are things that I feel you can touch-up on. The setting is rather Kanto, and there's not much added on. In particular, I can recall the bar Sandy got drunk at and the mansion in Celadon city, which are nice touches that I truly enjoyed. However, there is definitely room for more places like these.

I would also like to see some progress in the area of typos. We're 70+ chapters in, but I am finding that the amount of errors in the newer chapters are the same as the earlier ones. While it doesn't make for a bad reading experience, another proof-read could probably fix this a lot.

Everything else I could complain about are things that I know will be fixed quite soon, so for now I'll refrain from doing so.

Oh, and one thing that I didn't include while juding. In chapter 69, I believe there's a rather noticeable mistake:

"They are grooming you."

The five words were like a slap

Unless I'm missing something, that's four words, not five. :p Were you thinking syllables?

Moving on to Sandy Sampson!!

Depth
I quite like Sandy as a character in the story; she's a nice contrast to Alaska. She has a solid backstory and means for traveling with Alaska, and she does have her fair share of problems as a person. She's out spoken a lot of the time and doesn't like conflict, which lead to conflict in the newer arcs. She's gotten quite a bit of development recently, which was nice to see.

Originality
As Sandy's backstory is her running away from home due to one parent leaving and the other one being abusive, I can't say that her backstory is all that original. However, what's there is there, and you do give reason for her meeting Alaska in the first place.

One thing that I love about Sandy though is that she's traveling because she wants to travel. She doesn't need more of a reason than that. She wants to see the world and meet new people and go to new places. That's something I haven't seen a lot in any stories, really, but it's something I quite like.

Entertainment Value
While I do like Sandy, I don't feel that she's neccessarily amazing in this department. I do think she has her moments and can be funny (her getting drunk comes to mind) but more often than not I feel that other characters take the show.

Contribution to the Plot
I think that in ways, Sandy is very helpful to Alaska and moves the story along in that aspect. She's there to support Alaska, which I suppose is what she's supposed to do, but I do feel that she could have some more moments, especially considering she's been with Alaska for most of the story.

Overall
As I said above, Sandy supports to story, but that's really it. She's there to help Alaska, have some good moments, and take down whatever is corrupting Kanto. As a character, though, she's well written. She has a back story, motive, personality, and all that good stuff. She's there and fills her job, but has room to improve, I'd say. All in good time, I'm sure.

Gideon!!

Depth
We know only a few things about Gideon at this point in the story. He's evil, used to be apart of Team Rocket, likes to cause destruction and chaos, and has a mysterious plan. He's smart and doesn't get fooled easily, but he isn't the smartest in the world. His strategies are well-crafted and usually thought out, but he is by no means perfect.

Originality
The thing I like most about Gideon is that he likes to cause evil just for the lols. He doesn't always do things with a goal in mind- he just likes to have fun sometimes. It's something I don't see a lot in villains, but I like it.

Entertainment Value
I can't help but find that wherever there is Gideon, there's entertainment. I think that whatever Gideon does in the story is rather enjoyable to read, and whatever mess he's causing, it's rather amusing to us readers, even if horrible for the characters.

Contribution to the Plot
It's hard to say exactly how much Gideon has contributed at this point, but he is one of, if not the, most important antagonists in the story. What he's done to Alaska and Sandy has affected them on a mental, emotional, and physical level, and that's certainly contributed something to the plot.

He's there to stop Alaska on her way to becoming the champion of Kanto, and as his actions have changed both protagonists so much, I would say he's contributed quite a bit to the plot.

Overall
I like Gideon. He isn't absolutely fantastic but is certainly better than okay. He fills the role necessary of an antagonist and gets into both the character's and reader's mind. However, his character isn't perfect, though I have a hard time saying so. His overall goal is a big part of who he is and his motivations for doing what he wants to do are key to his character, and I only wish I could know about those topics sooner. I think that there some more room (if only a tad) for his character to be expanded, but where he is at now is really not a bad place at all.

And last but not least, Paige!!

Depth
Despite being Alaska's starter and her introduction being in chapter one, I feel like there's nothing that sets Paige apart from any other Pokemon in the cast. In the first half of the story she was a rather mischievous little bird who liked to aid Alaska in her antics, but in the later half I feel that she's now just a loyal companion. She's a strong battler, no doubt, and has a strong connection with Alaska, but as a character Paige feels quite plain for someone involved in a 2,000 year old prophecy.

Originality
Like I said above, Paige is a very loyal Pokemon who loves her trainer. She's strong and is a good friend to everyone else (well, to those who like Alaska, at least). She likes a good laugh every now and then, but as far as Pokemon characters go, I can't say that loyal, kind, and humorous is all that original.

Entertainment Value
Paige is, without a doubt, entertaining. Whether it be in or out of battle, Paige has a way of entrancing the reader into her many antics that I always enjoy reading.

Contribution to the Plot
I have mixed feelings about this. In a way, Paige is so important to the plot that a picture of her was sketched onto a wall 2,000 years ago. It feels as though she has the same overall importance to the world as Alaska, but in the plot of the main story, Paige isn't all that plot-moving. She does help Alaska win battles, capture Pokemon, comfort her, and I'm sure there's more to come, but compared to other characters, Paige's contribution isn't all that large, I feel.

Overall
Despite some negative comments, I think there's something to be said about a character's role in a story. And in this story, Paige fills her role excellently. She doesn't need to have a big, flashy role in all the chapters. She doesn't need to talk and be cracking jokes all the time. She does need (well, maybe not need, but for lack of a better word I'll use it) to be a loyal companion who can support Alaska and be a strong battler to help her trainer on her badge quest. However, this does not mean that Paige is perfect. She definitely has some room for improvement, in aspects such as building up her personality a tad and helping out Alaska in ways that her other Pokemon can't. I assume (and can only hope) that she's going to shine when the moment comes, so for now I eagerly await it.

Also, and this is kind of irrelevant, but I like the name "Paige" for a Pokemon character.

By the way, congratulations on winning 4 different awards!! (-:

@Life:

Thanks for the feedback, and I was amazed to win as much as I did.

Most of this was rather complimentery, so I will just go through the problems you noted:
- I think Kanto is the hardest region to write out of all them, as it is frankly the most boring and it is hard to work from a fairly dull canvas. I do work my own stuff in where I can, but I feel the story is less about the setting which is why I have not thrown as much into it as I have with other stories. And like you said, all the original settings are needed to actually make things interesting :p
- I am beginning to work on the typos. I do proof read, but I find that I can proof read multiple times and still some typos will slip through the cracks. I have been told it has been bad recently, which I partly blame on my crappy laptop, but I will do my best to work on it :)
- Sandy is more then just a companion, and there is more to her then meets the eye. The next few arcs will really work on building her character, and like you noted, the most recent arc is addressing the problems they are facing. I got complaints in the past about how they don't seem to deal with their problems, but I can think of many teenagers I know and knew who would just ignore their problems or try to put a brave face on things for the sake of moving on. I have a friend who is seven years older than these characters and she still avoids confrontation and avoids owning up to the problems in her life.
- I don't believe I actually nominated Paige (tbh I can't remember) because I do not think her character has reached her full potential yet. The next arcs will also work on defining the relationships the trainers have with their Pokemon so you will see some development there :)

I am not sure if I have anything else to say. If you think there is a problem I didn't directly answer please let me know.

Chapter Seventy One: Keep Your Friends Close

Chapter Seventy One: Keep Your Friends Close

She moved quickly. Alaska withdrew her Pokémon and descended from the roof as quickly and quietly as possible. She felt the need to stay silent, to not risk being noticed: bodiless voices sounded from all corners of the house, but the mansion was so cavernous that there was no way of telling how close or far their owners were. Cautiously, Alaska walked briskly back to her room, eyes peeled for anyone who might try and stop her.

After several minutes, Alaska made it to her second floor room undisturbed. Once inside, she packed as though Evelyn or Trevor might appear at any moment; she had emptied her bag last night out of boredom and rage, but regretted it now as she was forced to speedily shove all her possessions back inside her tired and beaten backpack.

Once she was done, clothes, medicines and brownies threatening to overflow, Alaska paused and gazed around. The room was roughly the same size as her parent's house, the walls painted a colour that was too bold and proud to be simply called 'green', decorated with portraits and landscape paintings placed on the wall as an added reminder of how wealthy the Athlews were. Even the thought of being confined here, surrounded by all these too-obvious signs of wealth, sent a shiver down Alaska's spine, but she knew she had nothing to fear now.

No chance of me ever staying here again. Smiling slyly, Alaska hoisted her bag onto her shoulders and turned to go, leaving behind only a hastily scrawled note for Sandy. It felt like a betrayal, leaving just a scrap of paper as explanation, but Alaska did not have time to fully explain herself in text, and getting to Sandy in this surprisingly overcrowded mansion was not an option either.

I will see you again soon, and I will be a better person for it, Alaska thought, though her guilt weighed her down as she left the room behind. As she descended the spiral staircase, she noticed how quiet it was, the echoing voices seeming to have gone. That surely meant the coast was clear, but Alaska was still worried about being stopped. Her determination to make a change was overpowering, and Alaska knew she had to claim this feeling before anything else stopped her.

Her fears were unfounded though: the entrance hall was empty, only a number of small tables, mirrors and half sized statues spread out across the black and white tiles. It was so quiet that her footsteps seemed to boom as they touched the undisturbed surface, and Alaska rushed towards the gigantic front door and slipped out before anyone heard her.

Freedom!

She had only been outside a few minutes ago, yet the waft of fresh air, the smell of flowers and grass, it all rushed through Alaska's senses, and she paused for a moment soaking it all in. She had made it outside without anyone stopping her; the hardest part of her escape was over, and now there were only fields of green and flowers spread out before her. Alaska could see Celadon in the distance, the scattered skyscrapers reaching out like beckoning fingers, calling for her to leave them. She had not felt this good all week, even with her win yesterday, and Alaska could not help smile as she walked down the marble steps and headed for the gates.

The driveway was long, never ending, always turning around corners so you never knew quite where you were going. Gravel and dirt crunched beneath her feet while the bordering trees cast strange shadows. Alaska knew she was not up for walking, but she really didn't care. Her only other option was to stay here and learn more about how much she had been screwed over. A bit of foot pain was nothing compared to the rush she felt at the simple thought of sorting her life out.

It isn't going to be easy, finding the answers to all these questions, but I have to start somewhere. Amelia had opened her eyes and given her a sense of purpose she had been simply lacking. Alaska felt sick at the thought of how she had behaved, letting everything from Buzz to Sabrina to this morning simply overwhelm her. Already Alaska was looking forward to the time to analyse everything and put the pieces together on her own: it would be gruelling and depressing, but it had to be done, and she was not going to let anything get in her way.

"Alaska, there you are!"

Alaska froze, swearing under her breathe. She should have known escape would not be as easy as this, fate just lulling her into a false sense of security. Irritable but with a touch of guilt, Alaska turned to face Sandy. Her friend was leaning against one of the giant trees that bordered the driveway, white shirt and navy skirt fluttering in the breeze. Pichu and Eevee were playing around her feet, and Sandy smiled kindly at them before glancing back up at Alaska, eyebrows raised slightly.

"What are you doing here?" The deflection of her question made Sandy's brow rise further, risking disappearing into her hair, and her eyes flickered towards the overstuffed bag swinging from Alaska's shoulder.

"The three of us were playing while we waited for you to come back down, and they chased me over here – just in time too, it seems," Sandy explained, her voice calm but some syllables shook with a hint of stifled rage.

Just my luck, Alaska thought angrily. There were enough wide fields, greenhouses, flower displays and water features around the rest of the property where Sandy could have been, yet she had to be waiting and watching when Alaska tried to disappear. Alaska looked behind her, over a particularly flowery field and back towards the hedges that bordered the outside table.

"Everyone else is inside discussing what to do with you, no one else is around. So come on, out with it, where are you going with that?" Sandy snapped. Her features were neutral, but her voice betrayed her true feelings, the words coming out short, sharp and sour. "You're trying to run away, aren't you? Did you really think you could just up and leave without telling me?"

"Sandy, look, I left you a letter; it will explain everything much better than I –"

"Don't give me that!" Sandy shouted. Eevee and Pichu froze in their game, looking fearfully up at the two girls as they faced each other. "You know damn well Alaska that I deserve a lot more than just some bloody letter!"

"Sandy, I don't want to argue with you again. It is just getting repetitive, and our lives seem to get threatened every time you shout at me, and I am trying to avoid those situations."

"We wouldn't need to argue if you didn't keep breaking your promises!" Sandy hissed.

"What promises?"

"You said you were going to tell me everything, and for a few days there I was beginning to think you had. But when we had our little chat in the tent, you left out the part where a legendary has been communicating with you over the past few months." Alaska opened her mouth to reply, but she knew Sandy had her now. Defeat must have shown on her face as Sandy smiled slightly, proud to have been proven right, and she straightened up and cast a withering look down on Alaska. "Well? What have you got to say to that?"

Alaska sighed, dropping her bag to the ground, tempted to fall down with it. "I didn't tell you about Latios because I had no idea what his role in this was. He has whispered in my head a few times when I have been weak, and he protected us back in Vermilion, but asides from that he hasn't done anything useful. So I didn't tell you because I didn't want to add another layer to it all when there were more pressing things to work out, and… and… well, I didn't want to get your hopes up."

"Excuse me?" Sandy's proud composure faded, Alaska's words making her deflate in surprise.

"Well, you know, after everything that has happened… I thought if you knew there was another legendary looking over me, there might be more of a chance of surviving all the insane stuff that keeps happening to us." The words hung heavy and solemnly in the air, and a quiet tension fell between the two. A bored Eevee and Pichu began to sprint around the tree, but even their delighted cries of joy did little to move the two girls standing alongside them.

"It is nice to know you care," Sandy whispered after a few moments, "or you at least did at some point. But if you care about me, why exactly are you trying to sneak away?"

"I need some time on my own!" Alaska groaned, putting all her built up frustration and annoyance into that single noise. "I was just talking to Alistair, and while I haven't quite worked out and processed everything that has happened in the past week, the one thing that is clear is that no matter what the future holds, my destiny is mine to control, and it is time I work out what I want my future to be."

"And that somehow involves you leaving?"

"I can't exactly decide my own destiny if people keep telling me more bits and pieces about what may or may not happen. I don't know if you've ever seen a movie, but when the protagonist finds out what a prophecy says about them, that usually leads to it coming true. If I talk to Evelyn and Looker and all them again, they will keep throwing details and revelations at me, and while I do want more answers, I also want to have some leeway in how I live my life and how I end up fighting this bloody war."

"I get that, but why do you have to leave me?"

"I need time to think about everything on my own, to make my own decisions and answer at least a few of these questions that have been hovering over me for the past few months. I don't want to ignore you or forget about you or anything like that, but if I want to get control of my life and myself, I think I need to be alone for a while."

For a moment, Alaska relished in her self-awareness. For so long her mind had been clouded by everything she had suffered through, she had let all that hate and anger and despair grow on her. The thoughts were still there, resting in the back of her mind, but saying these words out loud, taking back some of her own life, Alaska felt freer than she had in weeks, free to finally look at things from her own perspective, free to finally achieve what she promised to herself the last time she was here.

But that moment passed the longer Sandy stayed silent. After over a minute without a response, Alaska felt her joy slip away. Sandy stood stoically opposite her, arms quivering by her side, eyelids blinking rapidly as tears came to the surface. All too late, Alaska knew she had handled this wrong; she had forgotten the fragility of her friend, and a strong sense of guilt quickly weighed her down.

"Sandy, I didn't mean to –"

"You really can be so bloody selfish at times, do you know that? I get that you don't want any part of this, that is perfectly understandable, but you seem to think that you are the only person being affected by this. I should probably be used to it by now, but I am actually stunned that you would think you could just slip away without anyone noticing and leave me behind like I am just another person on the side lines trying to control you!"

"I thought it might be good for you, Sandy, to give you a break from things while I sort myself out. You don't need to get any further involved than you already are, and –"

"How could I not be more involved, Alaska? This entire thing is as much about me as it is about you! I was shot, for crying out loud!" Sandy screamed, the words echoing across the field, the ferocity and anger in her voice bringing her Pokémon to a halt. "Yes, Charlotte saved me basically straight away; yes, I can hardly remember any of it; yes, I never bring it up, but I shouldn't have to, Alaska. I left home to travel around Kanto and see the sights, and because of you I was shot right in the chest, right here," and Sandy opened her shirt, exposing the tiny sliver of a scar that was the only physical reminder of what had happened in Lavender Town. Alaska had seen the scar before, but the way Sandy was using it now was wounding, brandishing her injury like a weapon, a brutal reminder of all Alaska had and hadn't done.

"You can be pissed off and angry with everyone as much as you want, Alaska, but do not for a second think you are just going to cast me aside like some… oh, I don't know, used band aid! Urgh, see, I'm so annoyed I can't even think of a good analogy!" It was the type of comment that in a less tense moment Alaska would have smirked at. She could even feel a grin try to force itself onto her face, but the pain radiating off Sandy was devastating, and Alaska could feel it consuming all her own emotions.

"I… I… I have no idea what to say, Sandy, except for… I'm sorry." Alaska paused, for once thinking about her words before they fell from her mouth. "I am sorry for getting you mixed up in this, for ignoring your suffering, for ignoring you. I never intended on leaving you behind here forever. I thought I needed some time to myself, but I knew I would come back for you eventually."

"I kind of knew, but part of me… well… you can be a real bitch at times, let's just put it that way." This time, Alaska could not stop herself; she snorted with laughter, and Sandy managed to crack half a smile as well. "I mean. A lot of the things you've done over the past few months have been fairly shocking."

"Were you just saving that to tell me when we were in the middle of an argument, keep the blows coming one after the other?" Sandy's smile widened a bit more, but there was no denying the heaviness in her eyes.

"No, of course not. I just… well… I told you back in the tent that you're the first real friend I have ever had. All the stuff you did after we met surprised me, but I never had the confidence to tell you off about it because I thought you might leave me." A gasp escaped Alaska's lips before she could stop it, and Sandy's smile guiltily disappeared. "You seemed so determined to smite everything and everyone that angered you that I had no idea if our friendship was strong enough to last me standing up to you. Every gym battle or confrontation where you did something that shocked me; I just put a smile on and cheered for you, hoping it would keep me in your good graces. It's only in the past weeks that I have actually felt strong enough to put you in your place."

Alaska fell silent. She was not sure how to respond to this. Sandy seemed to notice the effect of her words and she sighed and collapsed against the tree beside them. "God, that wasn't the time to say that, I'm sorry, I –"

"Sandy, please, you do not need to apologise." Wearily, Alaska copied her friend and sank to the bottom of the tree, coming to a rest on some thick roots. Eevee and Pichu looked cautiously at the two as they settled uncomfortably on the roots, their timid faces making it clear they were unsure if the shouting was over. Alaska had a feeling Sandy had more to say, but when she warily turned to face her friend, she found Sandy staring exhaustedly back.

"All the books I used to read before I left home, basically every one of them was about some teenage hero faced with an impossible task or some sort of quest they had to embark on. I used to marvel at how they would outsmart the malicious villain that stood in the way, how they managed to pull through in one piece and still save the day. I always thought doing something like that would be fun, but the further we go on this journey, the more I see how fake those stories are. Those heroes aren't real teenagers, their villains are just caricatures. I mean, Buzz is fairly incompetent for a psychopath, but even he was about ten seconds away from cutting our throats."

"The difference between us and them is that we aren't the heroes of this story," Alaska replied tiredly. "I may be in this bloody prophecy, but I am not saving the day for me, I am saving it for them. Red is the person they really want to save, I am just the understudy." That thought had been on her mind since breakfast, but saying it aloud framing her life like that, Alaska felt as though a cold, metal hand had just yanked all the remaining joy from her body. She and Sandy sat in silence, their backs against the tree, staring blankly at the endless grass. Control suddenly seemed so far away again, and Alaska's thoughts turned back to the mansion, part of her wondering exactly what Evelyn and them had planned for her, wondering just how bad that would be…

"Good, you're both still here." Alaska and Sandy turned simultaneously towards the voice, and Looker smirked at them as he and Gallade briskly approached. "I had to make sure everyone else was busy before I came here, but I have no idea if they heard you or not. Why they put their faith in you I have no idea…"

"What do you want?" Alaska asked, exasperation oozing from every syllable.

"I saw you packing your bag and I read your note to Sandy after you left, so it did not take long to work out what was happening."

"What? You saw… how… where were you?"

"I am spy; I am an old spy, but I am still a spy," Looker replied quickly. "Anyway, Gallade can teleport you both anywhere you would like to go, but decide quickly, I am only a step ahead of Evelyn; she knows everything that goes on in this bloody house. Sandy, here is your bag," the spy added, tossing the lavender coloured bag towards its owner. Sandy caught it with a look of surprise on her face, and she and Alaska exchanged confused looks.

"Why are you suddenly helping us now?" Sandy said with a slight hiss. "Your lot seemed pretty content to let Gideon shoot at us for a while,

"Oh, cut the bloody whiny teenage bullshit, I don't have the time for it," Looker snapped. "We handled things pretty terribly, I am sorry for that, but you two need to get some perspective. Even if Gideon shot you both a hundred times that is nothing compared to some of the terrible crap I have seen in my job. Was either of you in Kalos when the entire region got razed to the ground? I didn't see you two on Mount Coronet three years ago, did I? You may be getting a raw deal right now, but just be glad that a few robots and a homicidal scientist are all you have to deal with."

"Well thanks for making our problems seem so utterly pointless," Alaska snarled. "Don't come here and berate us as though feeling bad about all this is somehow our fault. If you lot had just done your bloody jobs instead of relying on a bunch of teenagers like some Dumbledorean figure, then just maybe –"

"For fucks sake, shut up!" Looker snapped, and Alaska fell haughtily silent. "I am here to help you, for crying out loud. If you weren't so quick to antagonise people then maybe you wouldn't be in this mess." The spy rolled his eyes as he pulled out a cigarette and a lighter from one pocket, quickly lighting it and taking a long puff. Alaska watched silently as Looker let the smoke escape, her eyes following the thin grey streams as they dissipated into the atmosphere.

"Your anger is particularly ill placed with me; I am about the only person who wants to help you." Looker did not look at them, his eyes focused on something in the distance, anger and tiredness shining clear on his face. "After everything I've seen, I know that letting you go off on your own was a bad idea, but I know from experience that trying to control teenagers doesn't really work out. You remind me of some of the people I dealt with in Sinnoh, and we all know how that turned out… well, not everyone. Only a few of us ever actually saw what happened on the Spear Pillar…" He fell silent, and when Alaska looked back at him, she saw the spy appeared to have frozen: his body was tense, unmoving, his unblinking eyes staring into space as though looking back through time, only the smoke wafting from the cigarette showing any sign of life. Of all that had happened over the past few years, the bloody war on Mount Coronet was the biggest mystery of them all, but the whole world knew how bloody, violent and destructive it had been. Alaska and Sandy briefly exchanged glances, both wondering what Looker must have seen, the pain he must have gone through.

"After all of that, I knew how we did things wouldn't work again should another such occasion arise," Looker continued, dropping the cigarette and aggressively stamping it out with his foot. "I would love to do more to protect the two of you, but trapping you both here is not going to help the situation." He replaced the lighter in his pocket and reached into another of his large trench coat to pull out a slip of paper. "My friend, Bertram Henry, is a wealthy breeder in Fuchsia City. Gallade can take you there, he will house you and provide safe passage to Seafoam and Cinnabar after your gym battle." Alaska took the scrap of paper and skimmed over the address scrawled on it.

"So… you aren't going to stop us?" Looker shook his head and smirked.

"What would be the point? You want to go, so there is nothing I can do to stop you. You have to be ready to hear what is coming for you, and you will not find the answers or clarity you want staying here under lock and key. Go and find out what you have to, and we will do our best to pick up our game."

"Ok… well, thanks…"

"One last thing: you need friends in times like this. Being alone is no good when you are in a dark place. Your mind does funny things without company; the bad thoughts and the bad memories all fester and grow on you until you can't think of anything else. Even if the other person is as pathetic and alone as you, at least you can be pathetic and alone together." Looker finished, flashing his grin at Alaska, though she noted it extenuated his aging face and did not quite reach his eyes. For the first time, she really paid attention to his face: thin slivers of scars were buried amongst his wrinkles and baggy eyes, wounds that had healed but would never fade away. For the first time, Alaska wondered what she would look like at the end of this, if she would have to look in a mirror and find all the pain and suffering she had gone through staring back at her, never leaving her, never letting her be. She turned to face Sandy, and the two silently locked eyes, the words from their latest argument hovering between them like an impenetrable barrier.

"Go. Go on, piss off before anyone else notices – god knows you screamed enough for the entire city to hear you."

"That's an order I think I can handle," Alaska said, smirking, but Looker merely grunted and gestured forcefully at the gates. Alaska hoisted up her bag and turned to leave, but at the last second her eyes met Gallade's and she paused. It was only now that she realised the Blade Pokémon had been watching her throughout the entire conversation, and a chill spread down her spine at the thought. Their eyes met for the first time since she had lain on the basement floor, and suddenly it was all rushing back to Alaska: the pain, the physical and emotional, the fighting, her longing to die…

He told me about how you were willing to embrace death; how you were willing to die so you could avoid facing your foes in open combat.

"Is something wrong? Do you want him to teleport you somewhere?" Alaska shook her head, forcing herself to stare away from Gallade's penetrating glare, wishing it was as easy to silence all her thoughts.

"No… no, it's fine. I would rather walk, clear my head a bit. Are you ready?" Alaska asked, turning to Sandy. Her friend nodded silently, Eevee and Pichu sitting contently in her arms. Alaska turned to Looker, mouth open, but the spy shook his head and turned back towards the house. Storing the 'thank you' away for another day, Alaska faced the gardens once more and set off down the path. The confidence and clarity she had felt only a few minutes ago was still there, but it felt tainted now, now that all had been said, now that she had realised the task that lay ahead. Looking into Gallade's eyes, stirring up all those memories, Alaska could see that taking control was not the automatic solution to her problems.

Looking across at Sandy, Alaska was suddenly very pleased she had not escaped unnoticed, and with grim determination the two walked side by side down the driveway, the gates suddenly looking a lot closer than they had been.

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 71

Third arc review! Now this isn't quite the way I'd prefer to go about it - what with one thing and another it's been a while since I read the first few chapters of this arc, but I'll do my best with it anyway

Technical Accuracy/Style
I'm not sure what I can say that's new about this. I suppose it's ironic that when it comes to the guns coming out, proportionally speaking you actually turn down the melodrama compared to what should be fairly normal interactions with say, Gym Leaders and the reality stars

Story
The general thrust of the story I'm ok with. Gideon making an appearance with all the shock and awe of a madman who doesn't care who sees his crimes actually rings true. Ironic, you might say, since Gideon is very much a cartoon character. I'm not too bothered by that right now - he's been off the grid for at least the length of time that he's been in the bunker, probably longer. I wonder how he's going to cope once his profile starts going up with the world at large.

Alaska getting caught up in it all and getting away with it essentially by luck and by being not interesting enough to kill works fine. I do wonder why the police haven't tried to contact her. In the immediate aftermath they might not have long found out that she was there at all, I suppose, but the media certainly seemed to know about her. You'd think they'd want to interview her about Gideon.

With a new slew of powers playing on the board with Interlude Three come a bunch of new questions, but they can wait for answers.

Characters
Alaska really is a rubbery sort of girl, isn't she? I get this is the kind of story where people bounce back easy, but I can't help but double-take when Alaska goes straight to the Gym after the Museum affair. I haven't decided what to make of Hansom. I don't feel he's terribly responsible - I don't care how slippery Alaska is in a corner, she's still a pretty reckless teenage girl and he should not be treating her as an equal in this game. He seems to be a player, since Red knows him.

Final Thoughts
This isn't quite the review I wanted to give. Overall I don't really have any gripes that are so big that I really feel the need to go into detail about them - mostly issues that I kind of feel need tightening up. I've deliberately left out a few things that really are just down to personal preference since they don't help with the ongoing story

Fourth arc review! Don't ask me where I found the time to get through this, because I'm not completely sure myself

Technical Accuracy/Style
Actually better on the technical accuracy in this arc. There is one thing that's kind of been on my mind for a while now, and that's CAPSLOCKED SHOUTING FROM SOMEONE WHO'S ANGRY! I mean, for full volume hollering, it's not wrong per se, but it is kinda of cheesy ... hard to take seriously, really, since it keeps reminding me of its deliberately melodramatic use

Story
I've got to be honest, I'm not really hooked. There are some elements to like - Clefairy, of all things, becoming a threat is amusing. You know I'm a fan of playing around outside the box, and using Clefairy that way certainly counts. My problem with the actual plot itself is twofold. The first, you may want to ignore since you could well argue it's down to preference - the action really is relentless. Every chapter proper in this arc is an action sequence of some kind, and for me, it's too much. Individually they're not bad - though I thought the escape from the Clefairy horde went on for too long - it's just that taken one after another they lose their impact. It also becomes steadily harder to suspend my disbelief at Alaska's multiple lucky escapes.

The other problem is that Alaska's importance doesn't make sense in context. Taking Bolton's plan for example. Ok, so the reality show is cover for an assassination plot - fair enough, I can buy that just fine. So why does Alaska make any difference to it whatsoever? As long as at least one of them completes the Badge set the plan should work. It's not like Alaska is in a position to stop them from battling the Leaders

Characters
I'm much more of a fan of Sandy's than Alaska right now. Sandy's casual attitude to, well, everything is amusing. Some of her Genki Girl antics have disappeared in this current arc - well, been toned down - which helps. Alaska's got a self-righteous streak a mile or so long. Between her picking fights that she gets out of on sheer luck and her superiority when it comes to the reality stars (Damian and Lachlan really have done nothing to her) I'm getting fed-up

Final Thoughts
In part I want to find something more positive to say about this arc. I don't especially like leaving reviews that appear to be a list of complaints, but a deal's a deal, and I have been careful not to exaggerate or just be plain mean

@Beth Pavell:

I stand by most of what you have criticized in this. I generally tend to only save the capslock for really angry people, as there has to be a way to tell tone and level of rage apart asides from simply putting an exclamation point at the end. I have never seen it nor intended it to be cheesy or melodramatic.

Alaska's importance comes through later, but she isn't really meant to be that important early on. Buzz wants her out of the way and Gideon is simply insane. Reading this story on an arc by arc basis probably isn't the best way to read it in the grand scheme of things, but unless you want to read it all at once then you will have to, for the time being, endure a fair bit (and at the end of the day there are still several arcs left to be written anyway). I will admit there is probably a bit much action in the beginning, but the way the story is currently going I think it works from a reflective stand point.

Genki Girl? I have no idea what that is, but at least you like Sandy.

Chapter Seventy Two: The Short Walk

I don't think I have ever rewritten a chapter as much as this one. Nearly every scene in this I reworked at least twice, the middle part I did about five times before I found the tone I wanted. Apologises for the delay, but hopefully it will be worthwhile

Chapter Seventy Two: The Short Walk

Well that looks reassuring. Alaska paused in her path, staring up towards the slate coloured clouds that loomed threateningly on the horizon. She had first noticed the grey mass about two miles back, and the further she walked the closer it seemed to come, like a parasite crawling across the sky to greet her. The threat of rain was being preceded by a bitter wind blowing in from the sea, a gust that got stronger the closer they neared the water and further back the trees went from the path.

"Do you think we should stop at the gatehouse for the rest of the day?" Alaska called out, pointing towards the clouds. "I really don't want to be caught up in that when it hits."

"And what happens if we wait there all day and it just turns out to be cloud?" Sandy responded quickly, barely looking up from her guide book. "It is only noon, Alaska, stopping this early would waste an entire day. The Cycling Road has shelter if it starts to piss down, but a bit of rain won't harm you."

It might, Alaska thought, but quickly felt like mentally kicking herself: that was exactly the type of attitude she was hoping to get rid of. It seemed as though negativity followed her everywhere these days, as attached to her as her own shadow, and everything grim came across as yet another bad omen threatening to tear apart her life….

A horn blared horribly through her thoughts, and Alaska jumped, finally turning from the sky and facing the truck that was roaring past her.

"For crying out loud!" She wheezed, stepping away from the metal barrier as more cars and trucks whirred by, clutching her chest as the surprise continued to send shivers through her body. So much for clearing my head, Alaska thought as another truck roared past, horn booming and tyres screeching. "Remind me again why we took the route that goes alongside a highway?"

"Because the only other option was to head east, through a city where the people trying to kill us work, and down Route 12 where we were nearly killed and kidnapped."

"When you put it that way, I think I can handle a little noise." Sandy nodded knowledgeably, and Alaska set off again in her path. She peered over the fence running parallel to the path and down to the highway, watching all manner of cars as they sped up and down the road. "You'd think I would be used to cars by now, but I have never seen so many in one place before."

"I know what you mean. I had only seen about a dozen or so before I left home, and I have seen about ten times that number go past in the last minute. It is pretty exciting, really, when you think about it – much nicer than being shot at."

"Most things are nicer than that," Alaska replied with a touch of weariness. Dark thoughts quickly became to blossom and she shook her, pushing away the thoughts before they settled in. "It is funny how quickly cars have caught on here, since everyone in Kanto pretty much hated Unova and all its inventions for ages."

"Well, the Kantonese always used to travel by boat because of most of our towns are on the ocean. Unova is landlocked and twice our size so they needed another way to get around and move products across the region, which led to them motorising their carts. Most people here have never seen the point, but when they rebuilt the Cycling Road they added the road and that seemed to be enough to turn people."

"And it does help that the road directly connects the four richest cities in Kanto where people can actually afford cars," Alaska added. "You know, travelling with you makes me feel much better about skipping school. Who needs teachers where I have a friendless know-it-all to impart wondrous knowledge on me!"

"Gee, thanks," Sandy sneered, but when she and Alaska looked at each other, the two began to laugh. Their giggling lasted several minutes of walking, bringing them closer towards the bridge in a state of ignorant bliss, the world simply whizzing past while they soaked up a brief moment of joy.

She laughed, that's a positive sign. As the humour left her system, Alaska studied her friend's face, looking for any signs of the hostility and rage that had been there yesterday. But Sandy was all smiles and laughter today, her guide book back out and their conversation seemingly forgotten. Alaska was pleased, not just because it meant there would be less yelling, but because Sandy had finally gotten her thoughts off her chest and was ready to move on. Everything she had been holding onto was out in the universe now, and it was up to Alaska to decide what to do with it.

And I need to decide quickly. With a stifled sigh, Alaska fell silent. She tried to ignore the clouds edging sinisterly towards her and focussed on the route itself. The path had only been completed last year and still had some signs of newness, the speckled grey cement not yet worn down. Bushes were in full bloom on either side but were yet to replace the trees cleared by the project, an empty space with all the gloom of a graveyard falling between the footpath and forest.

Alaska looked up at the tree tops, watching the mighty branches sway in the wind. A large shadow passed over one, and she watched as a large Pidgeot swooped down. It landed on the very top of a towering oak, red and yellow plumage been blown gallantly by the wind, and Alaska saw the magnificent beast was watching the clouds, clearly wondering whether to carry on or not.

I can't wait for Paige to evolve, to be as big and beautiful as that. When will she evolve though: we have been travelling all this time and she hasn't evolved since Pewter. Am I doing something wrong? Should I be training her more instead of blindly fighting everyone I come across? Do I even want her to evolve… when she does, I am going to have to ride her into a war, that's what the prophecy says… what if I gave her an Everstone, would that change everything, or anything, or nothing, or… or… or…

"Alaska, watch out!" She could hear the growling engine, a distant, dirty sound cutting through the serenity, but it was not until Sandy yanked her aside did Alaska realise it was on the path, not the road below. Startled and confused, Alaska turned and watched three motorbikes speed noisily past, plumes of oily black smog rising from their exhausts. The lead rider turned to watch them as the trio slid past, his leather jacket, jeans and helmet as dark as coal, making him look like some strange addition to his bike. Alaska could feel his eyes staring at her through the visor, and unexplained rage suddenly burst from her.

"WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING NEXT TIME!" She yelled, but the bikers ignored her, driving off unperturbed. Fuming, Alaska flipped them off before turning steaming to face Sandy. "Are they even allowed to up here, there's a bleeding road right below us!"

"Bike gangs used to control the Cycling Road before the old one was destroyed, and that was half the reason they put a road in: make the cycleway and the footpaths too narrow for them and force them onto the roads. It works for the most part, but Alexis was telling me about how some stubborn youth gangs have taken to hanging around a picnic area outside the gatehouse and harassing tourists and trainers."

"I knew I had a reason to be worried," Alaska huffed. Sandy rolled her eyes and tutted, and Alaska raised an eyebrow, her lingering anger pushing her to do so.

"We don't have to engage them, they are fairly easy to ignore. Besides, our Pokémon combined would be more than enough to get rid of them. Not everyone is out to get you, Alaska."

"Trying telling that to Gideon and Buzz," Alaska snapped, and she set off again, walking so vigorously that her footsteps echoed as her feet pounded the pavement. After a few seconds, a hurried set of footsteps followed after her, and Sandy quickly fell into her stride.

"We have been dancing around everything that happened yesterday all day, which I am fine with, I am used to it by now," Sandy began, earning a glare from Alaska which the blonde quickly flicked aside. "Don't give me that look, you know it's true. Anyway, I was hoping we could wait until we stopped for the night to discuss things, but it looks like we have to start now."

"Really, right now? Are we going to discuss the end of the world and all my hopes and fears on this lovely coastal –"

"Cut it out Alaska, I don't have the time," Sandy snapped. "You were all set to leave yesterday and go find yourself, so why not start now?"

"Yeah, at my own pace, I didn't expect to have to find myself on command." Yet even as the words left her mouth, Alaska knew the real reason why she hadn't started discussing it yet: where the hell was she meant to begin? She had been so happy to have found the right path for her that she had not stopped and actually thought about what getting control meant. So much had happened and was still happening, from the prophecies to Gideon to Buzz and his robots to her meeting with Sabrina, that there was no obvious place to stop and start.

With an irritated grunt, Alaska eyed a rock lying across the path and gave it a good kick. She watched as it spiralled away, a tiny grey projectile hurtling down towards the road. Part of her expected it to smash a windscreen, yet another horrible calamity falling on her recklessness. Suddenly guilty, Alaska raced towards the fence, fearful of what the rock may do, but was startled to watch it fall past and road down towards blue.

In her speed, Alaska had not realised they were now standing outside the gatehouse, the one storey building their last hurdle before reaching the Cycling Road. From their vantage point, Alaska could see the bridge in all its glory, all curved glass and purple steel stretching down the Route 17 coastline, looking almost futuristic as cars disappeared into its tunnel. The only ocean visible was right beneath the bridge, but Alaska still sniffed, and managed to find a hint of saltiness over the stench of petrol. If she turned to her right, Alaska knew she would be back beside the forest, the green and brown pillars rising tall and proud above her.

Three worlds converging at one point – this is incredible. And I nearly missed it all… who knows what else I have missed on this journey…

Buoyed by her thoughts, Alaska turned to face Sandy, forcing a tired smile that her friend reciprocated. "I think the thing that has haunted me the most the past week has been my conversation with Sabrina," she began without hesitation. "When we first spoke – well, she spoke, I just… thought – I could see some point to what she was saying, and for a few days I tried to work out what it all meant. But after a week trapped inside that gym, being forced just to train and think and train and think and train and think, I could not help get annoyed with her and whatever point she was trying to make I just sidestepped."

"She did handle it the wrong way even if her intentions were good," Sandy said with an agreeable nod. "All through that gym battle I was expecting her to just bring it to a stop and tell you to try again once you had seen what she is trying to teach you. I mean, I am as clueless as you when it comes to trying to work her out, but I sat through that whole thing with my fingers crossed, hoping you would see things from her perspective and it would all work out."

"Fat lot of use you are then," Alaska joked, and the pair smiled as they turned towards the gatehouse. "I was actually really surprised she even let me leave: when the battle ended, I was hoping she would let me go, but I never expected her to."

"Maybe she realised you wouldn't work out the message locked up inside her gym?" Sandy suggested as the sliding door parted to let them enter. Alaska nodded silently, and she entered the gatehouse ready to take a break and talk things out.

After all the beauty of the natural world outside, the gatehouse was quite the change of scenery. Alaska knew from her brief stays in the ones around Viridian and Pewter that these one storey buildings existed as sanctuaries for trainers and travellers in Pokémon heavy areas, as well as trying to limit illegal Pokémon poaching on the main routes. They had been built back in the sixties and seventies but had been sparsely updated since then. And it took only a few seconds for Alaska to see this one was no different: the chequered carpet was worn and faded from years of use; the furniture looked like it had last been fashionable in the eighties; and the completely beige paint scheme left a lot to be desired.

"I don't know what it is, but whenever we reach a gatehouse, I always feel like I haven't peed for ages," Sandy said matter-of-factly, staring around the open space as though hoping the bathroom would jump out at her.

"I can't say that dirty sofas really stir up much in my bladder, though I really wish we had something to eat," Alaska murmured. She looked around, trying to find the best spot to sit, when the smell of diesel caught her attention. She was about to point this out to Sandy when a bang and several angry shouts got in before her, and the two looked at each other before turning in mutual dismay towards the commotion.

The three bikers who had passed them were now at the opposite end of the gatehouse, protesting as the two guards on duty examined their motorbikes. Alaska realised she should have seen this coming, since they had gone down the path before them, but it didn't make the actuality any less frustrating. She could feel her emotional high fading away the longer she looked at them, dread and foreboding replacing her joy.

Trust us to stumble across something like this, Alaska thought bitterly, and she felt her body go tense, not just at the threat before them, but at the fact her moment of realisation had slipped just out of reach once again.

"What are we going to do?" Sandy whispered, watching as the bikers stepped towards the guards, chests puffed and fists clenched.

"We have to stop them, isn't it obvious?"

"How exactly do you plan on doing that, because I don't really think blowing up the gatehouse is an appropriate option!" Alaska glowered down at Sandy, but knew she had a point: destroying the building was not going to do wonders for her already violent reputation, and such a reaction to three bikers was not called for. However, the three were taller and appeared stronger than the guards, and there was no way of telling what weapons or Pokémon they had on them.

"Why are you wankers always hassling us!" One of them shouted. "Just fuck off before we trash this fucking hole!"

"There is no need for that language!" The stouter of the guards squawked, sweat pouring down his face. "You know the rules, you know you aren't supposed to be here, and we… we just have to…"

"Oh, fuck this," the biker shouted, and with a single swift movement there was a knife in his hands. Fear and horror rushed through Alaska, and she stepped forwards without any hesitation.

"OI, leave him alone!" She shouted, and the biker froze with his knife inches from the guard's face. He turned and faced her, a sneer spread across his pale face. Alaska stopped, leaving a metre between them, and she took in her opponent: his clothing was black, battered and stereotyped, his hair shoulder length and greasy, his face covered alternatingly with pimples and scars. He was clearly more toddler than threat, but the knife was nothing to joke at, and Alaska responded by raising her PokeBalls.

"If you think you are going to harm this guy, you are going to have to get through me and my Pokémon first. And my guess is, if a knife is your weapon of choice, than I'd say Pokémon aren't exactly your strong suit." She raised an eyebrow in challenge, and tightly gripped the capsules, making sure all four were visible. He looked at her hand, and Alaska could see the thought processes going through his mind. Their eyes met, and for a moment, Alaska thought she saw something more sinister in his stare. Part of her wanted it to just be her irrationality, months of emotional, physical and psychological torture warping her view on reality, but a louder voice in her head told her it was something more real than that, something much more violent.

But after a few moments, the biker stepped away from the guard and raised his hands. "No need for a fight, love! We'll be on our way, if that's alright with you." Alaska was taken aback, and for a moment said nothing. The biker looked her up and down and smirked, and she snapped back into reality.

"Off you go," she said, signalling for the door, and the biker gave an over exaggerated bow before sliding back onto his bike. Alaska waited until all three of them were back on their bikes, and only once they had roared away did she let herself relax: no explosions, no violence, crisis averted. The guards looked as relieved as her, and she smiled as the two whipped out handkerchiefs and began to mop their soaked faces.

"Go you," Sandy whispered as she appeared by her shoulder. "No smouldering ruins, no fire tornadoes, no death and destruction, I am impressed."

"Thanks for the condescension," Alaska replied with a sarcastic grin. Sandy winked back as the two breathless guards stepped forwards, wearing much more sincere smiles. On close inspection, Alaska struggled to see how either of them had been hired for this job. One was like a tree branch, all skin and bone with a distinct lack of muscle, while the squat one resembled an Electrode with limbs, making it no wonder why he was so sweaty.

"I cannot thank you enough, that was an incredibly brave thing to do," the shorter guard said, smiling breathlessly as he grasped Alaska's hand. "Those bikers have been getting worse and worse since the bridge came in – that is not the first time I have had a knife pulled on me, but never have I thought they would actually use it…."

"It's alright; I've dealt with worse people than them." Alaska looked down at the sweaty palm wrapped around her own, the moist warmness thoroughly off putting, but the fat guard's smile somehow made it alright.

"Well, we are told we are supposed to be stopping smugglers, but the worst thing any of our colleagues go through is chasing away the odd Snorlax or running out of tea." The lanky guard looked barely older than Alaska, his tuft of chin hair more comical than manly, and he was shaking as he stared captivatedly at her. "For a minute there, I thought we were dead, and then you can along, and… and… wow…."

It was nearly half an hour before Alaska and Sandy left. The guards had insisted on sharing their lunch with them and doting more gratitude upon them that it was impossible to leave. While Sandy hovered back waving them goodbye, Alaska set off on a stroll through the picnic area that stood before the Cycling Road.

The world was completely different this side of the gatehouse. Lost in quiet contemplation, Alaska let her mind wander and found herself absorbed by the new environment. A ragged, brown cliff replaced the forest, coming off the path and diving down into the oceans below; there was not a single bit of green or brown in sight, the ground beneath her completely concrete; empty picnic tables, metallic in a completely foreign style to what sat inside the gatehouse, were dotted around alongside bins, bike racks and a small children's play area. The Cycling Road glittered even more up close, and Alaska could see just how long it was, stretching the entire coastline towards Fuchsia.

Despite all these sights, Alaska kept getting drawn towards the sky. The clouds loomed right above them now, still dark and threatening, rain seeming more likely than ever. The wind was roaring now, as though the ocean was trying to make them go back, warning them of danger ahead. The sea itself was dull and grey like the clouds above, the sound of waves crashing replacing the grumble of cars silenced by a cinderblock wall. It was bare and depressing, the only hint of nature a narrow path between the cliff and gatehouse, yet Alaska felt strangely calm standing amongst the grey.

"Those two were really sweet." Sandy appeared suddenly beside Alaska, looking at her friend with a twinkle in her eyes. "Trying to feed us like that, isn't it just adorable?"

"It's certainly something," Alaska muttered, and Sandy's smile faded.

"Is something wrong?" She asked suspiciously. "Don't tell me they annoyed you. God, what could they have possibly done to –"

"I'm not annoyed!" Alaska snapped in a tone that completely contradicted that. She paused and sighed, collapsing onto one of the sticky benches dotted around the gatehouse. "It is just… different… it feels weird for someone to actually be thankful for what we did…"

"Would you prefer they had shot at us instead?"

"Of course not! But haven't you realised that throughout all of this, we have had so many people tell us what to do and how we should be saving people, but never once has anyone thanked us for the things we have done? Obviously not everything has gone to plan, but think of the robots! They never would have been discovered if it wasn't for us. Gideon probably would have gone undetected for months. They may have all had their suspicions and rumours to go off, but while they have been trying to control us, we have been the two that have actually done stuff. But they have never thanked us."

Sandy opened her mouth to reply but remained silent, shutting it after a few moments and stoic silence falling between them. There was no tension this time though, just a mutual understanding of what Alaska had said. Alaska looked out at the ocean, at the grey clouds reflected in the water, but for the first time she saw blue on the horizon: the storm clouds were moving directly above them now, but far off in the distance, there were signs of clear skies following soon after.

That was the least I have ever done to help someone. Apparently doing nothing is more appreciated than acting out. Alaska sat there for several minutes, mulling it over, all thought trails leading back to Sabrina, Looker, Evelyn, Amanda, Alistair, Latios and the prophecies. Things were starting to fall into place: she had no idea what the puzzle would look like when it was completed, but for the first time in weeks, Alaska had an idea of where it was going and what it all meant.

"Oh good, your still here." The oily voice cut through Alaska's daydreaming like a wet knife. Her mind snapped back into the present, where the storm clouds were still present, blocking out the sun and casting dull grey light over everything.

"I was hoping we would catch up to you two. I wanted to talk about what happened inside over there, you know?" Alaska leapt to her feet and faced the speaker, and felt a mixture of annoyance and dread at what she saw. The three bikers had returned, bringing a handful more cronies with them: a dozen teenagers stood in a semi-circle, with several squirming heads behind indicating more. They were dressed all in either denim or leather, arms crossed and faces twisted in looks they considered threatening. Alaska knew they were barely older than her, with pimply faces and most too thin to break a twig, but the group of them gathered like that, standing so close together as though hiding something, she could not help but feel concerned.

"Oh look Sandy, no wonder we couldn't find any black leather jackets, they seem to have cleared out the entire eastern coast," Alaska snarked, trying to mask her fear of the unknown. Her hands slipped into her jean pockets, reaching for her PokeBalls, and she was relieved to see Sandy already had hers gripped tightly in her palms, but when she glanced back up the lead biker, the one she'd confronted earlier, didn't seem the slightest bit bothered.

"Ah yes, your Pokémon," he said smiling, "that's exactly why I've come back. The names Jack, and despite what youse think, I have some brilliant good Pokémon. So I want to battle ya." If Alaska had been taken aback by their arrival, she was completely blindsided by his reply, so much so that a laugh briefly burst through her lips. Sandy turned quickly and raised an 'are you serious?' eyebrow, but Alaska continued to giggle even as Jack cockily stared her down.

"You want a battle? That's seriously all you want, a battle?" She laughed harder, and even the bikers began to smirk, a few chuckles rippling through the scrawny group. "Why the hell do you want to battle?"

"Because you're that Alaska Avocado girl, aren't you?" Alaska fell silent instantly, a laugh dying in her throat. He knows my name, how the fuck does he know my name? She thought, looking to Sandy and finding her own fear and horror reflected back to her. Instantly, her mind thought of Gideon and Buzz; were these idiots affiliated with them, roaming the streets trying to hunt her down?

"I knew it, I told you boys it was her!" Jack cackled, gleefully lapping up their fear, and real laughter sounded amongst them now; deep, echoing laughs that sounded much older and much more threatening than their thin frames suggested.

"How do you know who I am?" Alaska finally asked, the situation becoming less funny for her with every second that passed. Jack reached into his pocket; Alaska tensed, remembering the knife, but saw it was simply a PokeGear.

"Those pricks may not let us drive through their precious gate house, but we can still access their Wi-Fi," the teenager sniggered, holding it up for them to see. Cautiously, Alaska peered at the screen. The banner at the top of the page told her it , an infamously trashy forum littered with spam, Yet, right there in the middle of one page, there was a photo, and Alaska felt her stomach drop as she realised she was looking at a photo of herself and Sandy at the ABC Café, their faces clear for the entire world to see.

How is this happening? She thought, her mind racing with horror, disgust and fear. How do I have all these people and organisations watching over me, yet they can't even stop some trashy forum from stalking me?

"Everyone is looking for you," Jack explained, smiling at her horror. "That blog youse wrote is famous, everyone wants to find ya. When we drove past youse before, I thought I recognised ya. And then when you spoke up, I was like 'guys, this got to be her, no other bitch gonna threaten me like that'." Jack looked like he had won the lottery, with a smirk that had become increasingly more sinister since the conversation had begun.

"Well, you've got me, congratulations Columbo!" Alaska snapped, trying to gain control of the situation, but knew any attempt was pointless. "What do you want, an autograph? Because I'm sorry, but the only pen I have is black, so…"

"Piss off, I don't want no tarts signature – I told ya, I want a battle!"

"Why on earth would I battle you?" Alaska hissed. "If you know who I am, then you know I don't waste my time battling pathetic wannabes on the side of the road. Why don't you just piss off before I make you?" As she said it, her mind began running through ways to get rid of him, Pokémon combinations and Bill's weapon coming to mind. The more she thought of them, the clearer it became the bikers weren't going, and Alaska looked at Sandy, trying to silently communicate they would need to fight.

"I have something you want." Fists clenched, patience waning, Alaska turned and faced her latest enemy again. Jack was still smirking, still standing there, unfazed by anything she had said. She realised now that this was what it had been building towards, some secret surprise that had made him so keen to come after her. Part of her hoped it might still have to do with Gideon or Buzz, but her realistic side, the side that had picked up on the way Jack had looked at her in the gatehouse, knew something dark was going on here.

"And what exactly would that be?" Alaska asked tentatively. Jack grinned his widest grin yet before stepping aside, unveiling the people who had been standing behind him this whole time, a magician revealing his final trick.

Oh fuck no. Bile rose up her throat, nausea washed over her. Never, not in her wildest thoughts, would Alaska have ever imagined her day would end like this. She wanted to be sick, her shock transforming into something horrible and physical, but she couldn't look away. She couldn't take her eyes off him, not as he stared back at her, his eyes bloody and red, his arms clasped tightly in chains, blood stains all down his body. Instead, she grabbed onto Sandy for support, struggling to make herself grounded.

The bikers were laughing, jeering, sneering at her with triumphant, evil smiles. Alaska wanted to leave, she wanted to run away and never stop, leave all of this horrible chaos behind her. But she couldn't go, there was no way she could leave him now, not now she was realising just how much she had missed him, how much he had been on her thoughts without her noticing, not now that she actually had something real to fight for.

Darwin…

Anyone see that coming? Next chapter, this arc will finally draw to a conclusion.

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 72

So over the last month I've read every non-Interlude chapter of the story after the prologue, which was fun.

In terms of overall pacing and plot coherence, it's somewhere between Dawn of Darkness and Galactic. Not every little detail and subplot falls into place, but I suppose that there's still time for that and most of the smaller ones have kind of just faded and don't really need to come back. And the pacing of the evolutions was also a little odd in hindsight, especially Paige evolving at almost the start of the story, Darwin shortly thereafter, and then nothing through Vermillion until another cluster occurred in Lavender-Celadon, but it could have definitely been worse.

Reading Eight Easy Steps without the interludes or prologue is also a very interesting experience. It makes the intervening elements more random and their nature more mysterious, especially since Buzz is only alluded to once or twice and his role is unknown until the Saffron arc and Gideon is even more of a total enigma.

Anyway, I've already given two full story reviews (one on ff.net, one on my blog here) so I'm just going to go into the last two chapters.

So Darwin's back. It's been ages in real time and I'd kind of assumed he was lost for good until I re-read. Then there were some strong indications that he might return eventually and it sort of would make sense for rounding out the team of six with Latios. Looker being a voice of reason by endorsing the batshit insane option is also fun as were the scenes that, if not character development in and of themselves, at least showed that it had occurred at some point. But as kintsugi mentioned once (years ago, real time) the story may have a problem with beating readers over the head with shown character development. You don't really have to have scenes where Alaska lays out how she's changed to someone else; just her willingness to leave without Sandy and a few select thoughts would have done the job as well. (By the way I am guilty as hell of this trope since Vaira is ~80% people talking about a journey and ~20% a journey).

And an actual scene of thanks and random people noticing Alaska who aren't billionaires/scientists/political figures was also a tad overdue, but executed rather well. Although you also could've gone without pointing out that it was the first time. But it was still good.

Anyway, I have to get to an appointment now on the other side of town so I'm going to awkwardly cut this off mid-wo

Last edited by a moderator:

Sup, so I actually do follow this still, no matter how much my reviews might imply I dislike it (I don't dislike it please don't think that D:) (and, because I need to say it more, I do find many aspects of this story to be quite enjoyable).

I'm also really glad that Darwin came back. Haven't gotten to read through the previous chapters and see the foreshadowing that's out there, but it did feel natural and pretty uncontrived to have him return, and I really, really like that he's going to become prominent in the fic. It felt a little too convenient for Alaska's problems with raising Darwin just to fade away when he leaves. Although the ending to this set-up seems obvious to me (Alaska fights for Darwin's life, shit happens, Darwin is saved, Darwin trusts Alaska and is loyal to her, ala Charizard from the anime?), 1) I don't fear the cliche if you execute it nicely and 2) you've subverted so many other things that I fully expect something more like "Alaska fights for Darwin's life, shit happens, Darwin explodes" or something.

Otherwise, the moments to relax and enjoy the nice view, especially in this chapter, really did make a nice change of pace from the constant jumping around from explosion to explosion. It also set-up the "ohlook it's darwin shit's gonna get real" moment really nicely, so kudos there.

"Piss off, I don't want no tarts signature – I told ya, I want a battle!"
tarts signature or tart's signature
THE WORLD WILL NEVER KNOW

@Rediamond: Thanks for the feedback!
- Which subplots do you think have faded away/haven't been addressed? I have my own list of things to look into but I am always curious to see what readers have noticed in case I have forgotten something (since you've probably read the series more times than I have :p)
- The evolutions are a bit random - I am aware that scheduling Paige's next evolution for when it occurs makes it really overdue but hopefully it works, but I see what you mean and I probably would change that if I ever started it again.
- Darwin was always going to come back. Everything that has happened since he left has been building up to his return in terms of Alaska and how she has changed since sending him away.
- That's one of those funny bits of feedback :p Some people say that things don't get discussed enough or reflected upon, and then others come out and say that it's too obvious or they aren't needed. If I was a better writer, I would be able to find a nicer balance between the two. I kind of like that Alaska is talking to Sandy more now and having proper discussions. Her willingness to leave without Sandy wasn't really about Alaska change, more that she felt the need to be alone, and for that I wanted her to justify herself to her friend, but I do see what you mean and I hope to try and be less obvious about stuff.
- The point of the thanks was meant to be that it was overdue. I would have liked to have included a scene of recognition earlier as well, but I feel that it works better in this context and the way the storyline has played out, especially with regards to Darwin returning.

@kintsugi: I've never thought you hated it... just disliked large parts of it :p But I am glad you enjoy it.
- Like I said above, everything that has happened to Alaska and all she has gone through since Darwin left has been building towards him coming back. She hasn't been able to stick to the decisions she made in Chapter 51, and that is going to be explored now that she has re-encountered someone she thought was the source of a lot of her troubles. I am so happy to have finally reached the point where he has returned, and it will hopefully be to the improvement of the story.
- Hopefully the way things happen next will be handled nicely: I am not too fussed about ignoring cliches or such since I want it to be organic to the character, but it's not going to 100% follow the Charizard Route.
- And the thought of Darwin exploding made me laugh. I would like to take the time to point out nothing has exploded this arc outside of moves colliding in the gym battle, and Alaska hasn't blown anything up since she destroyed the Celadon Gym, thank you very much!!! :p
- And thanks for the praise - I am glad that the set up worked well. I was definitely trying something new here for the story, I am pleased that it at least appears to have worked.

Chapter Seventy Three: A Test Too Far

Chapter Seventy Three: A Test Too Far

It was decided the Cycling Road would be their battleground. Jack said he did not want the guards to interfere, since battling was not allowed inside the picnic area. It was banned from the bridge as well, as a large sign warned them as they stepped inside, but the bikers did not mind fighting here: it was out of sight, cut off from the rest of the world, a place where anything could happen.

Alaska and Sandy went first, walking side by side in silence. Alaska was annoyed with herself, for letting her guard down for even a short time. Now they were trapped, confined to another round of torture: she could hear the sound of Darwin groaning as he was dragged along by the bikers, each cry like a knife to her chest. She wanted to do something, anything, but Alaska knew this situation was impossible, not when they were outnumbered and outgunned like this.

Stepping onto the Cycling Road was like entering another world. The concrete path led directly onto five lanes, one for walking down the middle and the rest for bikes, with a dome of green tinged glass forming overhead. It was filled with an intense silence, every noise and movement being echoed back to them. Alaska could hear her own heart beat as though it was outside her body. The silence simply made her more tense, and a brief glance at Sandy showed she felt the same way.

"Stop." The word rang out echoing from all sides. Alaska stopped and turned in a single movement. The bikers were all stretched out in a row, covering the entire road: there was no going back the way they had come, only about two kilometres of road behind them leading to freedom.

If we tried to run, they would catch up to us in seconds. They have no reason to keep me alive, to prolong my death like Buzz or Gideon. It would all be over in a second. I could let them kill me, end it all, but then… what would happen to him…

Through the sea of black and greasy hair, Darwin and his scarlet stained fur stood out like a lighthouse amongst darkness. Alaska met his eyes again, looked into the anger and hatred that burned in his gaze as normal, but there was a weakness, a pain that had never been there before. Whatever they had done to him Alaska could not bear to think about, but she knew she could not leave him to suffer further at their hands.

"Eyes on me, bitch." Darwin winced as a leather boot slammed into the back of his head, sending him tumbling to the floor. Jack began the chorus of laughter as he stepped forwards, PokeBalls in hand, but Alaska simply blocked their cackles out, refusing to let them in further.

"Are we battling or not?" she called out, and Jack flashed back a smile.

"Cool yourself, love, you left this one behind months ago, a few more minutes won't hurt – that is, of course, if you win," he added, winking and setting off a fresh burst of laughter. Instinctively, Alaska's eyes flickered back to Darwin, who was struggling to even bend his legs to get back up. The sight made her sick, but she pushed the thought away, stopping it before she got any angrier. I just need to battle, I just need to win, and then we can all move on…

"Ok youse, here's the rules: double battle, two Pokémon, whoever loses both Pokémon first loses, no substitutes. No restrictions, no referee – this is a free for all, winner takes it all. You fine with that?"

"Yes."

"Direct, I like that in a woman," Jack sneered. "You send first."

"Paige, Nadia, go!" Alaska yelled. Jack seemed taken aback, watching the two PokeBalls spiral and hit the floor as though they were grenades she had just thrown at him. You don't deserve any wit, Alaska thought bitterly, glowering through her forming Pokémon and staring down the creature that stood opposite her. I am not wasting any breath giving you the time of day. I want this over, and I want to win.

"Pidgey!" Paige's squawk brought Alaska back to earth, and she looked up, finding the Bird Pokémon fluttering in mid-air as she stared down at Darwin. The Primeape raised his head at her cry, meeting the eyes of his former training partner, and another layer of his pain and innocence was revealed.

"Way to be original," Jack sneered. "Really didn't see that one coming. Let's see how they fair against these two!" It might have been because she was not truly paying attention, but it seemed to Alaska as though Jack's Pokémon appeared out of nowhere. Suddenly, an oozing, dripping pile of grey and lavender sludge was secreting beneath Paige, while a bipedal blue and white Pokémon stood its ground opposite Nadia, glaring down at her while red ears flopped over its eyes. It took Alaska a moment to recognise the latter, and then, just for a moment, she laughed.

"An Azumarill? Really? Doesn't exactly seem your type."

"You'd be surprised," Jack purred back, but there was little humour in his voice now. Alaska knew that the battle was truly on now: putting the joking aside, the biker wanted to win just as much as she did. Why, she didn't know, but there was something dark about her latest antagonist, and Alaska wasn't going to let him get his final wish.

"Quick Attack Azumarill and Ice Beam on Muk!" She bellowed. The last sniggers from the row of bikers died instantly, and Alaska felt Sandy seize up beside her: the battle had begun, and everyone present wanted to see how it ended.

"Pidge Pidge!" Paige cried, and she shot forwards in a white blur, rocketing towards the opponents. Azumarill smiled, blue lips spreading slightly in an evil smirk, and Alaska quickly dreaded moving first.

"Seismic Toss, throw Muk towards her!" Jack roared. Azumarill lunged for her partner, letting Paige swoop by wings barely brushing against her, and blue hands grasped onto a slippery part of the Sludgr Pokémon.

"AZUUUU!" The Water type growled, and she spun, heaving up Muk and twirling him around. Desperately, Nadia fired her Ice Beam, but Azumarill was moving too fast, the blue beam hitting a motorbike instead. Alaska's eyes flickered from the failed move back to Paige, and she watched in curious horror as Azumarill let go, grey-purple sludge flying through the air.

"MUUUUUUUK!" The Poison type moaned deeply, and before Paige could move she was hit, crashing into the roof engulfed by Muk. Wide, sunken white eyes appeared in the sludge, and Muk spread a goofy smile as he clung to the glass, body shaking as Paige struggled to get free.

"Twister, free yourself! And try another Ice Beam on Azumarill!"

"Body Slam and Mega Punch!" Jack's voice rang with confidence as he shouted his command, and he smirked at Alaska as the second match up began. He's not afraid of me, he doesn't want anything from me, he just wants to defeat me, Alaska thought, fists clenched as she looked across the battlefield. She so rarely battled people she knew nothing about that this was going to be a strange and unsettling experience, and already Alaska had to ask herself what she'd gotten into.

"Ran Ran Ran!" Nadia dug her feet into the tarmac and blasted out a second Ice Beam; it struck Azumarill squarely in the stomach, making her skid backwards, but after a few moments of wincing the Aqua Rabbit Pokémon leapt forward, letting the attack disperse. Nadia saw the fist coming in and jumped back, letting the punch hit the ground and crack the tarmac, but Azumarill didn't stop there, spinning and bringing another two blows down.

"Get away from her; don't let her hit you!" Alaska yelled, trying to judge what would happen next, but a screech and a bellow drew her attention to the ceiling; she watched as Muk let go, hurtling towards the ground and landing squarely on a still stuck Paige, his body flattening out and trapping her beneath his gut.

"Come on Paige, Twister! And hit Azumarill with Crunch," Alaska added. Nadia nodded and leapt forwards with her open mouth spread in a smile, biting down hard on Azumarill's ball-topped tail.

"Azu!" she roared, brought down to her knees by the single blow. Alaska smiled and looked up to Jack, taking pleasure in watching his face sink. The biker looked away from Azumarill and back to Muk a few metres way, watching as he struggled to hold on. There was a wriggling lump right beneath his face, and gooey arms flailed as he tried to bat it away. Alaska watched tensely, waiting for the moment she knew so well by now….

"PIDGE!" Her voice was muffled but still came out loud, and Muk suddenly went hurtling again as a blue spiral erupted beneath him. Sandy quietly whooped as the Sludge Pokémon was sent spinning, crashing into the barrier and nearly toppling over onto the road below. It was a moment of pleasure, but even as she revelled in it, Alaska knew it would not last, forcing her joy down as she prepared for Jack's next order.

"Sludge Wave towards the Nidorina, Scald on her flying rat!" Alaska cursed and Jack's smile grew. There was a grunt, and suddenly purple slime was oozing across the field. Alaska could watch as Muk suddenly launched himself forwards, a flying pile of sludge slipping across the pitch. With the speed of a car, Muk whacked Nadia right off Azumarill's tail, sliding her away and giving his team mate a clear shot at Paige.

"AZUUUUUU!" Azumarill screamed, opening her mouth wide. Alaska winced as the stream of hot water hit the Twister: the blue energy exploded, and Paige dropped a metre before steadying herself.

"Scald her again, and Muk, you use Mud Bomb!" Jack bellowed, and the Pokémon were off before Alaska could even think of an order. Thankfully, Paige swerved and let the Thunderbolt smash against the glass roof, but Nadia was trapped within Muk's toxic grasp. Her angry cries sounded from all around as Muk opened his dripping mouth wide and spat up a squirming brown ball.

"NIDO!" Nadia growled as the mud exploded against her, completely coating her skin in brown.

You will have to learn how to adapt to the situation and fight properly, without the time to set up elaborate schemes

"I know, I know!" Alaska cursed under her breathe, trying to push away the memory of Sabrina's voice as it echoed throughout her mind. She felt Sandy staring at her, and the two briefly locked eyes: her friend was clearly worried, her face pale and her hands clutched to her chest.

"Don't worry, I've got this under control," Alaska whispered.

"I don't think you do," Sandy hissed fearfully back. "You can't let them win, Alaska, not when we have no idea what they are after."

"I know, I know!" Alaska replied irritably, turning back to the battle with guilt weighing heavily on her conscience. "Aerial Ace on Azumarill, and… and… Ice Beam on the field!"

"Yotto Pidge Pidgey!" Paige cried, swooping down with her wings thrust out. She cut across Azumarill's stomach, sending her flying and crashing into Muk. The Sludge Pokémon slid back, his grasp on Nadia lessening and letting her jump away towards Alaska. Landing on her hind legs, Nadia spun and fired the Ice Beam instantly: thin blue ice quickly coated the battle field, spreading like a virus across the surface, surrounding Azumarill and Muk were they stood.

"Did you think that was going to stop me?" Jack snarked, not even allowing Alaska a moment of relief. "Scald, now!"

"AZUUUU!" Azumarill cried, stepping past Muk, and Alaska felt her jaw drop as the steaming water soared out of her mouth. The ice melted in seconds, a minute stream of water forming and sliding down the narrow slope of the road. Nadia's feet were quickly soaked, and Alaska looked up and met Jack's eye, the viciousness in his glare confirming her fears.

"Thunderbolt!"

"JUMP! CATCH HER, PAIGE!"

Paige dived down talons first, and Nadia leapt up to greet her as Muk's toxic body flashed yellow. Alaska breathed a sigh of relief as Paige pulled up the same moment he fired, Nadia safely off the ground and scrabbling up her ally's back. Stepping back to avoid the sparking ground, Alaska felt a bitter taste of bile in the back of her throat.

They want strategy? Here's a bloody strategy for them.

"Paige, use Heat Wave!" She bellowed. "And Nadia, prepare yourself – you know what for." The Nidorina smiled malevolently and tensed herself up, focussing down on her enemies below. Paige, meanwhile, began to glow orange, and seconds later flapped her wings: the air turned orange, a haze appearing between Alaska and Jack, and cries from his Pokémon sounded as the blast of heat washed over them, huddled together in their corner.

"NOW NADIA!"

"NIDOOOO!" Nadia yelled, and she launched herself forwards. The Heat Wave had barely cleared before she hit Azumarill squarely with Skull Bash, the attack coming completely unexpected. Azumarill crashed into Muk, and Nadia pushed both Pokémon down the field so they crashed into the barrier, the Poison type getting smothered by his Water ally.

Everything had happened so quickly Alaska hardly had time to process. Now, silence fell over the battlefield as everyone paused and evaluated. Steam hung in the air from the evaporated water, a veil rising between Alaska and Jack. Azumarill and Muk were piled atop each other to the side of the field, looking dazed, tired and worn. Paige and Nadia were not in top condition either, but Alaska was relieved to see both her Pokémon appeared able to keep battling, their attacks doing little to wear them down.

I can win this, what was I so afraid of? Alaska thought to herself, and she let a smile creep onto her face. She glanced across the pitch, her eyes meeting Jack's, and the look on his face made it clear she had made a mistake.

"Do you think you will just defeat me and walk away, like it's just that easy?" The biker sneered. Alaska tensed up again, and as the steam cleared she remembered what exactly she had found herself in. Jack's gang and their bikes stood behind him like bodyguards, a row of black and metal ready to pounce at any second. Darwin lay at their feet, limp against the chains, too weary to even stand. It was clear, something Alaska should have known all along, that no matter who won the battle, Jack was still going to walk away from this encounter the victor.

What the fuck am I supposed to do? The storm clouds had gathered overhead, leaving the pitch dark and quiet. The rumble and roar of the cars below them could be heard over the tension between them. Paige and Nadia moved closer to Alaska, facing their foes, prepared to take a stand, but just what could Alaska do? Even if she threw Paige, Nadia, Frances and Shelley all at time, even if Sandy joined in with her Pokémon, who knew how many Pokémon Jack and his cronies had, or what they would do once they got their hands on them?

There has to be another way, some way we could escape. There is a road beneath us, Onix could tunnel through and help us escape… or the glass, maybe if we smashed… the bikes? Can I do someth – no, no Alaska, keep it out, for fuck's sake! None of that will work, not when they have Darwin – one wrong move and they could and would cut his throat.

Feeling the eyes of everyone, from Sandy to Jack to Paige to Azumarill, upon her, Alaska found herself inexplicably drawn to the one being not looking at her. Even in the semi-dark, she could clearly see how red and matted Darwin's fur was, with patches where there seemed to be known left. Just how tortured was he, how much damage had they inflicted on him in the last few weeks?

Look at him. Alaska heard the voice and shivered, wondering how long he had been there, how long he had been watching her. Long enough for him to know she had planned on tearing herself away, unable to bear looking at this defeated creature anymore. Look at him, and tell me what you see.

Pain, I see pain… pain and torture –

No, Alaska, that is just the surface. Look through the pain, look beyond it, look at the cause and the effect, what has to happen next.

What are you talking about?

You know what I mean, you just don't want to admit it. Why is he in pain, why has he been tortured? In her own way, this is what Sabrina was trying to get you to see, what she wanted you to learn. Look beyond his skin and look into his soul.

There was movement. Slowly, with great pain, Darwin lifted himself up, likely stirred by the sudden quiet that surrounded him. He raised his head and looked straight at Alaska.

Everything else faded into nothing: all Alaska could see, all she could focus on, was the look in Darwin's eyes. They looked like red spiderwebs had formed inside, wide, bloodshot eyes staring back at her from amongst his matted red fur.

Look into his eyes… look behind his gaze… what do you see, what does he see?

I see pain… hurt… heartbreak… I see him asking me why this happened, I see myself asking why I let it… I… I… I see Sabrina… and Looker… and Evelyn, and Daisy, and Trevor, and Gideon, and Buzz, Amanda, Chloe, Charlotte, Sandy, Damien, the fortune teller…

Yes, but what do you see? Look beyond all that, look through the surface… look at him and tell me what you see!

Alaska refused to turn away. Breathing heavily, feeling her heart racing, she stared unblinkingly at Darwin, her eyes on him while her mind rushed through everything she had experienced these last few weeks. Sabrina and her lesson, the prophecy at breakfast, Sandy's confession, Amelia and Alistair and their suggestions, the thankful guards: for the first time, things were all coming together, these thoughts gravitating towards Darwin as his battered, bruised face put everything into place…

You've nearly got it: tell me Alaska, tell me what you see…

A pause, and then…

A finished puzzle

And like that, it all made sense.

"Alaska? Are you still with us, or am I going to have to carry on without you?"

"Why did you want to battle me today?" Alaska called out, her mind snapping back to attention. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up, and she knew Latios was still there, but now he was merely a spectator, sitting back while she did all the hard work. Jack and his cronies stopped giggling, and all eyes were back on her again as her words hung in the air.

"What do you mean? I had no idea you were coming this way, so why would I –"

"Oh, no, of course you didn't, but you wanted me to come. You wouldn't have kept Darwin if you hadn't hoped I might come by some day, perhaps looking for him, perhaps willing to do anything to get him back. I guess really the better question is, why didn't you kill him?" Jack didn't reply, his face frozen in an expression like he had been slapped. However, the tension got beneath him after a few moments, and something between a grimace and a smirk appeared on his thin, pale face.

"I've read your blogs; I've seen all the things you've done. Marching through the region like everyone should bow down towards you, thinking your better than the people your trying to fight. I've seen comments on that forum, people fawning over you, basically cumming every time you catch a Pokémon or win a gym badge, stalking you, trying to be your friend. But I know what you really are: you're weak, pathetic, in above your head. I never cared about you much, but then we were out looking for trainers to rob when we came across this thing." With a snarl, Jack lashed out; leather boot smashing down on Darwin's head so it cracked against the road.

"We tried catching him, but when our PokeBalls didn't work, I realised who he was. He tried to run, but we knew the area better, we got him in the end. And we've waited a fortnight now, hoping you would come past and I'd be there when you appeared. I wanted to battle you, to prove to you just how weak you are. You don't deserve all this attention; you deserve to rot in a hole somewhere like the piece of shit you are. I want you to watch as I take your Pokémon away from you; then you can go off and spend the rest of your miserable journey knowing what a stain you are on this society, how little you are actually are after all if you'd let this happen to your own Pokémon: too focussed on saving the world instead of saving your own team."

"NIDO NIDO!" Nadia snarled, stepping forwards with her teeth bared. Azumarill stepped forwards, fist raised, but Alaska raised her hands, smiling quietly as she stared Jack down.

"You know, you're right in a way. I mean, you're completely wrong about me wanting to save the world, cause I really don't want this burden that's been put on me, not in the slightest. But you are right that I've let it consume, distract me from everything. When Darwin nearly killed Sandy's Pokémon, I thought sending him loose was the right thing to do. Part of me still agrees with that decision, but the other part knows I could have tried harder, could have put more energy into training him, stopping him from becoming like that. It was all too hard, I couldn't handle it, so I let him go and didn't even think twice about it. But I see the truth now… he's my Pokémon, he's my responsibility; giving him up was too easy, too weak of me. I never should have let him go, and for that, I am sorry." She looked at Darwin as she said, and though his face remained blank and pained, his eyes twitched, some recognition of emotion. Laughter suddenly erupted, and Alaska watched as hands grasped onto his head.

"That's sweet, so moving, but too little, too late bitch," Jack sneered as his cronies dragged Darwin towards him. "I'm bored now, so while you dry your eyes, I'm going to cut his throat."

"Over my dead body, motherfucker," Alaska spat, and she raised her right arm. Jack flinched, expecting a weapon, but she slowly opened her palm to reveal a PokeBall, dust rising from her fingertips as they brushed against the button.

"Return." The red beam shot out, and the bikers merely watched as Darwin faded into energy before them, disappearing across the field to reunite with his capsule. Alaska looked down at the PokeBall, part of her unable to comprehend that Darwin was once again hers, while the other was going into senseless joy, as though she was finally complete once again.

"You fucking bitch!" For a moment there, Alaska had forgotten about Jack and his cronies. Irritably, she looked up at the row of bikers, their faces shocked and angry, but none more so than Jack. "I knew youse were a cow, but I didn't think you were this bad."

"Get in line, love, there are plenty of people after me, all a lot tougher than street punk shitheads like you," Alaska replied, cracking a smile as she pocketed Darwin's PokeBall. "You've lost the only bit of leverage you had over me, so I didn't really care about you anymore."

"Oh yeah? Well, the battle isn't over – GET THEM!" Jack roared, pointing towards Paige and Nadia, and Azumarill and Muk leapt to attention.

Did you think I didn't see that coming? Alaska smirked. "Ice Beam on Twister, go!" And just like her, Paige and Nadia were ready to go: Muk began glowing yellow, but Paige rose into the air and began spinning as Nadia quickly fired. The Ice Beam was sucked into the vortex, and before it could fully form, Paige froze and flapped her wings, unleashing the frozen wind: Azumarill and Muk were sent rolling over by the wave, crashing into Jack and bringing him to the floor. The thud of his back hitting the ground echoed, and while Alaska was amused, the looks on his gang's face told a different story.

"GET THEM, GET RID OF THEM!" Jack screamed, his voice going high with rage, and his cronies quickly moved forwards.

"Is that how it's going to go then, twelve of you against the two of us?" Sandy said, stepping forwards and looking up and down the bikers grunting towards them. For a second, Alaska thought she was afraid, but then Sandy tutted and shook her head, a Great Ball appearing in her hands. "You boys really should've brought back up." And with the air of a microphone drop, Sandy threw the ball onto the field. The explosion of blue energy brought Jack's gang to a halt, and many of them quickly backed away as the sheer size of the forming Pokémon became apparent, energy wrapping around Sandy, Alaska and her Pokémon before solidifying.

"ONNNNNNNN!" Onix roared so loudly Alaska was sure their allies at the Celadon Mansion would hear him, and she weakly smiled as half the bikers fled immediately, driving away before they got caught up in anything else.

"COWARDS!" Jack screamed, but he was out of sight now, Onix's grey boulder body forming a perfect barrier. Alaska breathed a sigh of relief and nearly collapsed to the ground, feeling like a weight had been lifted from her. She turned towards Sandy and without prompt threw her arms around her, pulling her into a tight hug.

"What is this for?"

"Not letting me leave without you," Alaska whispered, and Sandy said nothing, instead putting her own arms around her. The two stayed like this for a moment, but when Jack finally fell silent and the last bike rumbled off into the distance, they broke apart, feeling free.

"So, Darwin," Sandy murmured.

"Darwin," Alaska nodded.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" For a moment, Alaska almost felt like laughing, too tired and worn out to care anymore. She knew fully well why her friend was concerned, why she thought this was a crazy what she was doing. Alaska reached into her pocket and clasped the PokeBall, ready to agree with Sandy, knowing how mad this was. And then she looked down at Paige and Nadia, their quiet, loyal faces staring wide eyed back at her: we survived again, all of us.

"No, it's what I need." Sandy smiled and nodded, and with nothing left to do, the group set off, Onix snaking his way around them. As she strolled down the path, Alaska felt something warm on her face, and she looked out towards the ocean: the clouds had moved past, letting the sun free to shine across the ocean, a shimmering expanse of blue stretched out before her.

How obvious, Alaska thought, but she couldn't help smile as she and Sandy walked side by side down the road in silence, leaving their latest battlefield behind.

Intact, like a finished puzzle.

After too long, this arc is finished! Blog and interlude up next, which should by be up by the end of May I hope! Fuchsia City coming up! Very special thanks to the amazing @kintsugi who power beta-read this for me and gave me confidence in the ending.

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 73

All right all right all right.

So it's been like what? two years since I last read thsi story? that is a very long time and I am indeed very sorry about it. Um I think by the time I stopped reading it I was going through a lot at school with studying and you kind of started posting the chapters a little more regularly...I got really lazy okay? though now that I think about it reading 3 chapters isn't nearly as much as reading 20 so I'll try to keep up for now >.<

Well...so much happened in these last 20 chapters (if it hadn't that would be very bad though) but I think the biggest theme in all of these chapters is the theme of deconstructing Alaska. The little munchkin had been having a pretty tough life and after her revelation in Celadon it seemed like things would turn around for herself, but it was more like she allowed her choice at the end of the Celadon arc to get the best of her, just cause you decide you don't wanna give a crap about something doesn't mean that crap isn't going to keep following you around.

So I'll start with Sandy's arc. After 54 chapters I think that it was really necessary for her to get an arc to herself, or at least one that focused more on her backstory. To be honest I think that it was pretty well done, you were able to really get into Sandy's head and the way you showcased Alaska was the first time we really realized just how bad she can be when she's not the character whose POV we're looking through. That being said I think the the battle, while effective and working as character developtment, was kind of dragged through some parts, like I think it might've lasted a little too long (I think it was longer than the first part and only slightly longer than the second part of the sabrina battle)

The debacle between their friendship was really sad for me, I mean it makes sense especially withe verything that had been going on but it was indeed sad to see Alaska and Sandy split off so much. I think it was a good way to humanize Lachlan though considering we hadn't seen Indigo Dreams in a while, it also worked as a way to showcase just what kind of situations the trio go through or rather Damien and Lachlan since we know Chloe has no problem at all with her situation aside from Alaska's intervention. Lastly I think the bonding scene in the tent was the best way to end the arc, not only did we get full details on Sandy's story but Alaska got to finally tell Sandy everything that happened and make peace with it (or did she?)

After that was a huge action arc in Saffron. We finally got to see Buzz and Alaska together and it was....a huge rollercoaster ride, if anything I think my main concern here is the fact that SO much happened during those 4 chapters, like I kind of feel that getting away from the building took a while cause first they had to get away from his office and then it was the clash in the research department and then in then the battle in the bazement. And to be honest, maybe it was a lot of action but it wasn't bad either, like I actually kind of wonder just how Alaska didn't realize she was some Destined Child when none of those bullets hit her.

Buzz also suffered a lot (hehehehe) I can't imagine the pain he must've felt but the aftermath of it was pretty funny and you shwoed just how silly and incompetent he can be when he doesn't have it all figured out. The addition of Looker was an interesting one too I have to note but he ended up being very important. Lastly I think this arc's biggest influence is the fact that it adds a lot more to the story in a way, since we finally see Buzz in action and get deeper into things, plus Alaska realizing that she has more than one enemy also causes things to get more complicated for her.

On that note I actually want to backtrack a little bit to the Interlude before that arc. Adding in Kris, Red (who had already gotten a shot yes but it's been a long time so I had forgotten) and Leaf into the story was really interesting to me. It really brought out the fact that 8ES is a piece in a larger story into a bigger light and that Alaska's story is technically a sequel in a way. Now I didn't finish Kris vs Gold myself xD but I think the Interlude was pretty self explanatory even without having to read it and I did read enough of Kris vs Gold to feel sad about how Kris has become...and that's probably the saddest part, that both her and Red have lsot that shine...just like it's happening to Alaska and could happen, I think that's the bigger thing here. Alaska has to be someone that is able to carry out her destiny without being carried, without being "groomed" or changed like Red and Kris were, she does have to learn a lot in adapting to the situation and such but not losing who she is will also prove important in the longer run.

Okay to end the Saffron arc I really really enjoyed Alaska's talk with Sabrina, while I think her personality does match the type of personality that someone with all those psychic powers has though I kind of feel like Sabrina does lack a bit of empathy but again that's what makes her who she is. Anyways I actually feel that all the things she told Alaska were pretty on point with what's happened in the story, but maybe she should've been clearer? I don't know maybe she knew that if she tried to be clear with her lesson Alaska would shrug it off but I think that most people would actually explain their point and try to tell the person how they can change what they wnat to (or not...eh I don't know, just ignore this) and well it certainly made me happy that someone was pointing out my own annoyances with Alaska.

And finally there's the last arc which I think both picks up well from the last one and also closes up the arguments that were set at the end of it. This arc did a really good job in exploring Alaska's character once more, and I think the fact that her neighbor and the person that originally helped her out her first time in Celadon were an amusing if not very nice choice for people that she could receive support from.

But first I must say that I think Alaska's battle against Sabrina was the best one in this fic thus far, the rounds didn't drag and while some of the descriptions were a little tough to get into my head I think that you had a good pace and framed the attacks and moments well enough. However, I'll also have to agree that these were the parts that showed Alaska's character at her worst. Sabrina had her mistakes too sure but she clearly had a point below everything Alaska was saying and the only reason the girl didn't pay attention was because she was too busy thinking that she was just being used, being treated like some kind of pet that needed to learn new tricks. Alaska worries a lot about losing who she is, to the point that she's completely unwilling to let anyone advice her simply for the fact that she feels that following their advice would mean that A. she's wrong about the way she thinks and B. That following makes her think that she'll change herself.

It's an interesting complex and idea, and one that I think it's very realistic. As teenagers we all try to figure out who we are but sometimes we feel that we have figured it out and that that's what we should be. That's why so many people get stuck at some point in their growth, they feel that changing and growing is the same as losing themselves.

But I think this draws a difference between Red, Kris and Alaska. THe latter doesn't want anyone to change her while the formers eventually just...stopped struggling, they realized that they had duties, problems they had to deal with and theya ccepted the fact that they had to change who they were. This of course caused them to lose themselves, to become better and to simply become a part of the world. They stopped being the heroes that had been sent to change the world and instead simply became part of the cycle.

And um...well I lost track of what I was saying xD

Anyways after that I'm glad that Alaska was finally able to understand and we got to learn a lot of answers about what the League was planning as well as the International Police. Actually, I have point out that both our fics have something in common xD both our fics have the League and the International Police act like opposites at times, in that one of them does things completely different to the other, it's just something I found amusing and made me smile.

Regardless, the last two chapters were very meaningful to the story overall. Alaska is calmer now and the fight in the last chapter was very nicely done, plus the twist of having Darwin come back was really unexpected. Though I will say, Jack says that Alaska released Darwin a month ago but it's technically only been a couple of weeks or less if I remember correctly.

Anyways things have really changed in these last 20 chapters. Alaska and Sandy have come close to death many times, Alaska got the answers she wanted (and now regrets it) and also learned what she has to do in order to change herself and to top it all off Darwin is back! so I legit can't wait to see what'll come next now that the gang is all back together.

Also this review is done for the Review Game too since I noticed that you were the last person for it :p and well I really enjoyed catching up even if it took a while and I'll keep reading.

Blog Thirteen: I Should Be So Lucky
Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 73

@Flaze: Thank you for the review, glad you caught up - hope you keep following so there aren't 20 chapters next time :p
There isn't much to say of this asides from it is one of the more accurate readings I have gotten about 8ES. My stories are, in ways, very large exaggerations of what it means to grow up and move into the real world. I don't want to be all pretentious and go on about that, since very few people would care and this story is far from over so I don't want to give it all away, but a lot of what you said is on the money, so I'm very glad at least one person noticed this :p

Latest blog! Hope you all enjoy. Some faces we haven't seen for a while return in the Interlude up next - the 100th overall chapter!!!

Blog Thirteen: I Should Be So Lucky

Greetings

It is 11:56 PM on August the 28th 2013. There is a gentle breeze coming in from the ocean, but despite the hour, I don't feel cold. There is a crescent moon out, a tiny sliver of light floating across the night, like the sky is winking at me while I write this. Our fire is on its last embers, so only glow of my laptop is the only thing illuminating the clearing. I can't see beyond the circle of trees that are enclosing us. Anyone could be out there, waiting in the bushes to come and get me as I sleep, but I'm not afraid. I'm tired of being afraid.

I should be asleep, but I can't shut my eyes for more than a few seconds without feeling overwhelmed. I need to type, to empty my brain a little more before I even can even think about sleep. Sandy's in our tent right now, snoring softly, muttering in her sleep. I hope she is dreaming about something nice. She suffers enough during the day; she doesn't deserve to endure the same while she sleeps.

Why can't I sleep but she can? Well, something happened to me today, something I am still trying to process. Sandy was shaken by it as well, but not in the same way I was. It is simply impossible for her to feel the same as me in this case. She has not had her entire life, all her actions and decisions over the past few months, lain bare before her. She has not had her mind and soul ripped apart in a matter of minutes. She has not had to stare every bad decision she has ever made in the eye and admit to herself how wrong she has been.

I have.

It was hard. For a moment, it was horrible, gut wrenching, torturous. But I survived. And once I had accepted the pain, and accepted why it hurt, things finally made sense. You may think I am struggling to sleep because the horrors of my past choices have returned to me, haunting me in the night. But I am not upset or angry anymore. I am relieved: I cannot sleep because I am basking in the knowledge that the path that lies ahead is the clearest it has been so far in this journey, and I couldn't be happier.

Back when I was first in Celadon City, I made a huge mistake. I thought I had made big decisions and had found all the solutions to my problems. Instead, I simply let myself get overwhelmed, turned a rash decision into a quick fix and then ignored everything that came after that. Every bit of advice, every clue and hint at my fate, everything that happened between then and today I refused to accept, thinking I had made the right decision. Even reading the blog I wrote at the end of the week, there was a hint of me there questioning my choices, wondering what I had done: if I had only realised things sooner, I could have saved myself a world of suffering.

Over the past few days, I have been forced to accept my decision was wrong. To sum it all up, I faced Sabrina and was forced to realise that winning in the wrong way is not a win at all. I faced some familiar faces and was learnt some hard facts, but refused to accept them at the time. I tried to leave Sandy, but she made me realise the truth about our friendship. All of these things weighed down on me, making me question everyone and everything, but it was today that things made sense. Today, I saw my mistakes personified, and realised what I have done and what I need to do now.

What does that mean I will change for the future? Well, not a lot really.

You see, over this past week, I have realised a few truths about myself. Namely, the world, and particularly the situation I have been forced into, is not as black and white as I have been viewing it. There are reasons for everything people have said or done to me in their mission to guide and change me, whether I have appreciated them for it or not. I can see now that everyone has different layers and reasons for doing things, and that the advice they have tried to impart on me probably has been with the best intentions.

However, I have also decided that this is my journey, and ultimately, what I want to do goes. People have tried to help me, yes, but they have done a terrible job of it: I have been badly injured multiple times, Sandy was shot, and if it wasn't a few convenient, you-can't-make-this-stuff-up deus ex machina's, I'd have died about ten times by now.

At the time I couldn't see it, but now I know why Sabrina wanted me to win the battle on her terms. I can see that I need to train harder, better, I need to plot and plan and work my hardest instead of hoping and guessing and setting up. However, I can still plot and train in my own way: it has worked for me so far, so why give it all up now?

Someone told me I need to take control of my own destiny, rather than letting everyone decide it for me. So far, I have been doing that even when I thought I wasn't, being guided and controlled and manipulated from afar, walking into traps and being used as a pawn in some bigger game. Not anymore. People can give me advice and guide me, but only if they are prepared for me to make my own choices.

I saw the cost of my mistakes today. I saw what happens when I let my anger consume me, when I force myself down a path my heart believes is right but my brain does not. If I keep down this path, fighting back against anyone who upsets or wrongs me, I am never going to be able to face my real enemies whenever that day comes.

And now that I know who my friends and allies are, I hope that day happens on my terms. This situation I am in… it's so complicated and strange and violent and weird I still can't get my head around it. Yet I have been running from it and towards it at the same time: I have blinded myself to the world around me, too busy trying to reach the end of this war while also avoiding thinking about it at all cost. Yet you never know who you will run into next – and just because there isn't a robotic army behind someone, doesn't mean they are a good person. There seems to be no avoiding this anymore, but if there is going to be war, I am going to be ready. I need to take control, and I need to prepare myself for whatever happens next. Even if that means doing things someone else's way, but I don't care about all that anymore though. Dying was so last week: all I want now is to live, frankly.

It is 12:11 AM, August 29th 2013. The skies are clear. The wind is gentle. My eyelids feel heavy. It is officially a new day. I have basically been rolling in cheese all day, but I don't care – this is the perfect place to end this. I am ready to face what comes next, but first, I'm ready for bed. (Look, I've been very busy lately; I haven't had time for jokes. Maybe next time.)

Yours reflectively,

Alaska

P.S. Whoever is stalking me on Trainer.net, fuck off. I may be in a soul-searching, moon-dancing, finger-painting mood right now, but I will still kick the ass of the next person I come across wanting to put my face online.

Last edited:
Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Blog 13

LKJAD;LFKJAOIDSHFLAKJSDFOIHASLDKFJ
LKASJDFLIAHSDLKFJ
KJALSDKFIOADHSLTKJWOEIAHFLSKDJF

Anyway, so I didn't drop a review for the last chapter since I beta'd it, and also finals, but this blog post
heh
It's basically everything I've been waiting for these blog posts to do. Character development? Less snarky Alaska finally showing up in the blogs as well? Sarcasm there but clearly taking the backseat to all of the other shit that's happening? Actual reflective blogging?

I mean, yeah, the prose is melodramatic as fuck, but I feel like that was intentional and I definitely feel like it fits. The thing where you start writing fancy prose, throwing in lots of commas, having a list of three actions in a row before finally getting to the object of the sentence, is coming up with a lot more prominence here, but I can appreciate that when it's angsty/thinking-teenager Alaska writing rather than somewhat-more-omniscient-narrator.

Seriously. This blog rocked. Thank you. I don't really know what more else to say.

Well, actually, it's me and I'm long-winded, so here's more things to say. I was gonna ask why Alaska would continue her blogging even though the last chapter made it painfully clear that broadcasting her movements on the internet is basically painting a neon target on herself, and you kind of sort of address this in the last sentence
P.S. Whoever is stalking me on , fuck off. I may be in a soul-searching, moon-dancing, finger-painting mood right now, but I will still kick the ass of the next person I come across wanting to put my face online.
But it still feels kind of dangerous? I get from the narrative perspective that you absolutely have to have her writing the blogs, because otherwise we can't read them and meta-collapse, but... why keep blogging about this? She's already seen the consequences of keeping this blog, and she knows that it endangers her friends as well as herself, and she made this long speech about how she understands her friends/enemies/consequences/repercussions, so why keep this up? Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but it feels a little like "I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING ABOUT HOW NOT TO BE A TARGET EXCEPT FOR THE PART WHERE I DON'T KEEP MAKING MYSELF A TARGET"

Otherwise, though, I definitely dig this blog post. I like the paradigm shift. You rock.

LKJAD;LFKJAOIDSHFLAKJSDFOIHASLDKFJ
LKASJDFLIAHSDLKFJ
KJALSDKFIOADHSLTKJWOEIAHFLSKDJF

Anyway, so I didn't drop a review for the last chapter since I beta'd it, and also finals, but this blog post
heh
It's basically everything I've been waiting for these blog posts to do. Character development? Less snarky Alaska finally showing up in the blogs as well? Sarcasm there but clearly taking the backseat to all of the other shit that's happening? Actual reflective blogging?

I mean, yeah, the prose is melodramatic as fuck, but I feel like that was intentional and I definitely feel like it fits. The thing where you start writing fancy prose, throwing in lots of commas, having a list of three actions in a row before finally getting to the object of the sentence, is coming up with a lot more prominence here, but I can appreciate that when it's angsty/thinking-teenager Alaska writing rather than somewhat-more-omniscient-narrator.

Seriously. This blog rocked. Thank you. I don't really know what more else to say.

Well, actually, it's me and I'm long-winded, so here's more things to say. I was gonna ask why Alaska would continue her blogging even though the last chapter made it painfully clear that broadcasting her movements on the internet is basically painting a neon target on herself, and you kind of sort of address this in the last sentence
P.S. Whoever is stalking me on , fuck off. I may be in a soul-searching, moon-dancing, finger-painting mood right now, but I will still kick the ass of the next person I come across wanting to put my face online.
But it still feels kind of dangerous? I get from the narrative perspective that you absolutely have to have her writing the blogs, because otherwise we can't read them and meta-collapse, but... why keep blogging about this? She's already seen the consequences of keeping this blog, and she knows that it endangers her friends as well as herself, and she made this long speech about how she understands her friends/enemies/consequences/repercussions, so why keep this up? Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but it feels a little like "I UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING ABOUT HOW NOT TO BE A TARGET EXCEPT FOR THE PART WHERE I DON'T KEEP MAKING MYSELF A TARGET"

Otherwise, though, I definitely dig this blog post. I like the paradigm shift. You rock.

Glad you enjoyed it. I think the last few blogs have all shown Alaska's growth and have been leading to this point: even if there is humour and sarcasm there, she has had her views and expectations challenged and has altered them. Yet seeing Darwin is the catalyst to push her back down this path. I will say that not all blogs will be like this in the future, as she has reached this point and accepted this, and now she needs to move on. But considering the story does change up from here plot wise, there will be more room to do different things so stay tuned for that.

I will be honest and say it didn't cross my mind what you pointed out :p However, I do not think it would be right for Alaska to stop these even with the situation she is in. It is basically a diary, and she needs a place like this to put her heart and soul into. Also, the self-promotion aspects that come with blogging your life constantly play a role here: she is still a teenager, and I think part of Alaska wants to make sure that all eyes are on her, even if she doesn't realise that herself. You must remember she did embark on this journey (in terms of her decisions, not bringing in the whole prophecy stuff) in order to prove she was better than everyone else. While that is not her goal anymore, those teenage tendencies to go 'look at me, look at me, look at me!!!' are still a factor here. As I said in reply to Flaze, the GVerse stories are large exaggerations of teenage life, so you can't expect her to be perfect yet or ever. This is the girl who blew shit up to make a statement - give her some credit for coming this far :p

But glad you liked it, hope you like what comes in the next chapters.

Fifth arc finally finished, and don't ask me where I managed to get the time for it. I'm pretty sure it didn't involve a Time Turner.

Technical Accuracy/Style
I'm still spotting errors here – typos, editing artefacts, the odd malapropism, as I recall. Since it's probably been quite a while since you last read these chapters it's probably worth giving them a re-read with fresh eyes, correcting as you go

Story
The story has slowed down slightly, which is a relief, though I think it could stand to do so a little more. The body-swapping business was bonkers but it did provide a kind of buffer between straight-up battles. The image of an angry pidgeotto waddling around was an amusing one.

About a third of the arc feels kind of like rinse-and-repeat, specifically when it came to the reality show again. We have what really is the foregone conclusion of Alaska handily winning another battle, spitting and being spat at, and then flouncing off to resolve never to get caught up in it again. The rivalry falls flat when Alaska wins – or at least, think she wins – after every encounter.

I'm still not understanding why Buzz is so hung up over Alaska. I can put aside Amanda's crazy rage at her – from her perspective at least, Alaska is a nuisance. From all the information that we have so far, however, Alaska's presence makes no difference to Buzz at all. Indeed he really does have bigger problems than some scraps of inconvenient footage.

Characters
I really think Alaska needs to take a leaf out of Sandy's book. Sandy's … odd reaction to Misty being out of the evening notwithstanding, anyway. She's exhausting, but good-hearted and a lot less self-righteous. Alaska's fine words about turning the other cheek dissolve violently within seconds of meeting the reality stars (She also seems to be lumping Damian and Lachlan in with Amanda and Chloe, which isn't at all fair).

We can only hope that the “weapon” has no offensive capabilities – if it does, that makes Bill downright irresponsible. He only knows her through her blog, for one thing, and those posts don't exactly scream emotional maturity.

Final Thoughts
I wonder what happened to Buzz to turn him into such a bloodthirsty loon. I think Sauron was saner while he tried to cover all the lands in a second darkness

Interlude Thirteen: Doing it for Themselves

@Beth Pavell
A lot of that stuff, especially around Buzz, gets revealed later on so I can't comment on that, nor would I change it should I go back and edit.
I do agree that the reality stars hit a bit of saturation around this point, and appearing directly after the previously arc probably was not the best, nor was Alaska's constant state of winning. I need to do better work with them in the earlier chapters, though they will develop and shine soon in the current parts of the story.
The weapon does not have any deadliness to it, persay, but it is a weapon.
With regards to Buzz being crazy, I don't think some people need a single defining reason to be crazy. He has his reasons for doing what he does, which have made him mad, but I don't think he or I should justify his level of madness as anything more than him being an unstable person.

Onto the current chapter!

Interlude Thirteen: Doing it for Themselves

"It is very rare we receive guests, especially ones held in such high regard throughout the world. Though I must say, you always seem to flock to us in times like this. So tell me, children, just how is the world ending this time?"

Clair smirked to herself, taking malicious pride in watching the pair opposite her squirm. She had been expecting a visit for some weeks now, and had been rather insulted when Daisy Oak and Trevor Archer arrived: considering the gravity of the matter there were here for, Clair would have thought someone more senior would come to try and court her help. She was annoyed, and hoped the pair reported her hostile welcome back to Oak and them, a solid reminder for future reference.

"I am sorry you feel used; it is not the fault of the International Police that all this has happened over the past few years." Trevor spoke with power and finesse, but Clair merely raised an eyebrow and sipped her tea, refusing to give them the upper hand. "However, as one of the most powerful organisations in the world, we need to know you will stand against any threats posed to the region."

Silence filled the room. Clair merely sat there, sipping her tea, exchanging glances with her attendants by the door. Let them wait, she thought, smirking behind her cup. The two screamed of outsiders: Trevor in a black coat and trousers, Daisy in a demure blue dress with matching blazer, nothing like the uniformed robes of everyone else in the Den. The two looked so wrong sitting there, atop her silk cushions, drinking her tea in her cups: Clair was pleased to make them suffer in any way she could, punish them for visiting her, treating her like some beast they needed to rein in.

"Of course we will; we did four years ago, when Rocket tried again to end the world from within the heart of this region."

"You didn't stand alongside my brother and cousin though," Daisy replied so quickly you could tell that line had been waiting there, resting on her tongue to be pulled out. "They fought the true might of Team Rocket without your assistance."

"That conflict was in Kanto," Clair hissed back icily, "as is this one. We may share a border, but Kanto and Johto are not one country anymore. And now that we no longer serve under the same league, I have even less of an obligation to fight your battles for you." Trevor and Daisy exchanged glances, having clearly expected this reaction. Clair merely smiled: she was not going to be easy, to let this first test as Elder go by so smoothly for them. She did not even meet their eye, instead gazing at the tapestry that adorned the walls, the hand-stitched dragons that were amongst her first memories.

"This is not about your role as a gym leader; this about your position as the Dragon Elder," Trevor said, his voice rising with each word. "This is your first test with this title, so you think about how you want your grandfather's legacy to be perceived before you –"

"HOW DARE YOU!" Clair roared, and silence fell across the room. Her words echoed back to her, and Clair paused, breathing deeply. She hadn't even noticed standing up, but realised she was on her feet, her cup upside down, emerald liquid seeping into the rug.

"I'm sorry for shouting," she whispered. However, she didn't care for them: the windows had been opened for air, and now Clair stared at them, wondering if her voice had reached the houses on the surrounding cliffs. This may be her first test with the powers of Kanto, but Clair was really being tested every single day.

Leading a gym was one thing, but running a community was an entirely different matter: whispers reached her, whispers that had started in the houses of her people, and what she heard was not reassuring. Shouting at guests would only fuel the fires of doubt Clair knew would soon be burning all throughout the den.

"We haven't come here to upset you," Daisy said after a while. "We know this is a difficult time for you… moving on from death is always hard. But things will only get harder for all of us should Buzz Bolton or Gideon achieve whatever it is they are trying to achieve. We need to know that there will be support out there should either one of them strike at the pillars of our country."

Clair sat back down as Daisy spoke, and as she righted her cup and dabbed at the stain, she dwelled on her words. As much as she enjoyed sassing her envoys, Clair knew there was a real issue at hand. She didn't follow politics or movements in Kanto as much as she used to, but she and Lance still spoke daily, and she at least knew all the gossip: Red's life had been threatened, a girl was being used as a pawn to stop those after him, and no one had any idea what to do next.

My grandfather would have, Clair thought sadly. It had been over a month since he had died; he had been getting old, she should have expected it sooner or later. Yet not a day went past when she didn't think of him, of all he had done not just from the community but for her. She wouldn't be a gym leader without his training, without him guiding her through the rough years. If he was here now, he would know how to help with the problems in Kanto while still respecting the wishes of their people.

"What exactly do you expect from the Dragon's Den should Red be attacked or killed?"

"We will need people to stand alongside us: the Indigo League, the International Police, all the people that work in the shadows to keep Kanto in order. If you come to our side, the rest of the Johto League will fall behind you as well as the help of your people. We don't expect you to sacrifice yourselves, but – "

"Isn't that what you ask of someone when they sign up to war: to put their life on the line in defence of their country?" Clair interrupted, holding up a hand to silence Trevor. "I cannot simply sign up the two hundred people who live under my rule and demand they fight in your war."

"But we don't know what our enemies are planning," Daisy said pleadingly. "We know Red's life is threatened, but we don't know how either enemy plans to stop him. They could just as easily kill him, destroying the entire Indigo League headquarters and turn their attention towards Krystal – I mean, Johto and –"

"Okay, you almost had one percent of my attention, but I am not doing anything to help that little bitch," Clair snapped. Daisy looked ashamed, and rightfully so: no name was more toxic in the Dragon's Den then Krystal Soul, and Clair would not aid any quest in which she was involved.

"She isn't the one who cheated Lance," Trevor groaned.

"No, but she should have stepped aside when the truth was revealed instead of forcing him into a rematch. And she would have lost if it wasn't for Latios – Kris Soul won by barely defeating a cheat and then using a Legendary to prevent her meek, feeble team from losing her the title. I would gladly let all of Kanto burn if it means that she suffers the consequences as well!"

"This is pointless – I am not going to sit her and let some stubborn cow screw over the world for a few petty rivalries!" Trevor stood up and angrily jabbed a finger at Clair. "Kris won because Lance is more popular than he is talented, and he should have been disqualified for the tricks he used during that battle. And the fact the Dragon's Den still holds a grudge against the Kantonese over something that happened hundreds of years ago shows what useless allies you would make. I am from the fucking Sevii Islands – we got screwed over a hell of a lot worse than Johto ever did, but we've all moved past it. You can't let one generation suffer because of the actions of their ancestors."

"Oh, well done Mr Archer, you've let your true colours shine!" Clair yelled, getting to her feet the same time as Daisy, watching as her attendants swung open the doors Dragonite had nearly torn off. "Tell Oak that next time his country is burning to the ground, sending a bigoted, uninformed racist isn't the best way to win someone over!"

"There won't be a next time: the Dragon's Den died with your grandfather!" Trevor hissed, anger burning on his face as Daisy tugged on his sleeve. "Your people have been going extinct for decades, and your refusal to adapt to the times means you will only die out faster. You have nothing to offer us asides from influence, and once people hear about how Clair Grayson is running this place into the ground, all that will disappear!"

"Really, no influence?" Clair snapped. "You seem to be forgetting that your saviour is nothing without something I possess!" Trevor and Daisy both froze in the doorway, and Clair mentally smiled, the shock on their faces clear she had won. Moving gracefully over the cushions, Clair walked over to a particular Dragonite stitched into the walls. Why she had been worried when she had this trump card she did not know, but being handed the opportunity to use it filled her with unsubstantiated glee.

"After we gave the other Enigma Crystal to Kris, Steven Stone gave us the other one to look after in its place. Unfortunately, Latios broke free from it and set off in look for his true trainer. Fortunately, he left this behind." A panel in the wall swung open, and Clair heaved out a wooden box, briefly examining the intricate carvings across the surface before turning to face Trevor and Daisy. The two exchanged stunned looks, and Clair smiled widely as she opened it up.

"Alaska Avocado needs this if she is ever going to control Latios. As Dragon Elder, I am the one who decides what to do with it, and after what you just said, I am leaning towards making sure this never sees the light of day again. So maybe you could start by apologising, and then I will consider what to do next, okay?" Trevor and Daisy looked into the box for a moment before looking back at Clair: their faces were still for a moment, but then Daisy giggled and Trevor stifled a snort.

"She needs what, Clair?" The spy asked, and the two turned and walked laughing out of the room. Clair was speechless; she turned the box around and stared inside, and felt her stomach, heart, lungs, every organ in her body dropped an inch as she looked inside an empty box.

"Where is it?" She growled. Throwing the box against the wall, Clair faced her attendants as Trevor and Daisy made their joy audible, their joy echoing like a hundred people were around her, all laughing, all jeering. "WHERE IS THE FUCKING CRYSTAL?"

"Dive low and use Aerial Ace!"

Really? That's the move you're going for? Oh well, this was fun while it lasted.

"Grass Knot, go!"

"What on earth is the Champion thinking? Such a move is going to have barely any effect on a Flying type like Honchkrow!"

The commentator's words echoed throughout the stadium. The few times Kris had watched Red battle, you could barely hear what anyone was saying over the roar of the crowd, the endless cries from the hundreds of supporters packed inside the cramped stadium and filling the boardwalk outside deafening against even the loudest commentary.

She had never experienced that herself, not since Lance. Today, barely a hundred people had shown up to watch her latest challenge. While she waited for her strategy to play out, Kris cast her gaze across the rows and rows of empty seats: only her most loyal of supporters and friends of her opponent had turned up for the battle, barely enough tickets to cover the electricity bill.

"HONCH!" The squawk reached her ears easily as well, and Kris snapped back to attention. Johnny's Honchkrow lay sprawled across the grass, clumps of mud piled around from where she had fallen. He had fallen into the trap so easily Kris had to wonder how he had managed to make it through the Elite Four so easily.

"Signal Beam, finish this!" She bellowed, disturbed by the eeriness of her echo. Espeon dug her feet into the pitch and fired, rainbow energy hitting Honchkrow square on the head, blasting her back towards the pool. She stopped just shy of falling in, but the close range attack was clearly too much: wings limp, eyes shut; the battle was already over.

"Matthew the Honchkrow is unable to battle, meaning the challenger Johnny Richards has no Pokémon left to fight. The winner is the Champion, Krystal Soul!"

Applause and cheers rang out through the stadium, but it seemed sarcastic the way they clapped and shouted. Of course its sarcasm, Kris thought bitterly, withdrawing a barely tired Espeon, no one's going to celebrate that win. That lasted, what, half an hour? She looked across the expansive pitch towards the challenger. Johnny was older than her, about twenty one, she recalled, a fine layer of blonde stubble covering his rigid jaw. He had seemed handsome when they had met before the match, but now he was a blubbing mess, his massive frame collapsed next to the pitch, chest raising and falling rapidly with his tears.

What's the point in crying, you clearly weren't prepared. Your Dugtrio may have trapped Ampharos, and if I had paid more attention Kingdra would have survived longer, but Latias would have torn through your entire team in five minutes. You couldn't even defeat a Psychic type with a Dark Pokémon. You just wasted your time, my time, the time of everyone working here, anyone watching, anyone even hearing about this…

"That was a great effort!"

The stadium emptied within five minutes. Cleaners were already clearing away rubbish, a job that took hours after her and Lance but today would last barely quarter of an hour. Kris had left the pitch quickly, unable to bear the emptiness anymore, and moved into the maze-like upper level where all the private boxes and preparation rooms were. All except the one owned by the League were empty: murmurs of the Elite Four and league officials could be heard as she walked past, but Kris ignored them as she made her way to Johnny.

The trainer smiled as she passed on the praise, though his eyes were bloodshot and watery. His parents stood quietly behind him as Kris shook his hand and smiled warmly at them all, playing her role dutifully.

"Are you going to take part in the League Championships next year?"

"I hope so. I have a lot of work to do between now and then, but I would love the opportunity to battle you again!" Johnny replied, cracking a smile.

"I can't wait!" Kris replied with her own beam, though it was a struggle not to roll her eyes. Everyone thinks they've got what it takes, but if your Honchkrow can't even stand up to Grass and Bug type moves, then you've got no hope in hell of surviving the shit this job will throw at you.

She waved the trainer and his family off, waiting till they had rounded the corner before letting her smile fade. Tired and exasperated, Kris turned to leave, desperate to return to her house where she was actually needed. But as she turned, movement on the pitch caught her eye and she paused. The field was sinking back into the basement, where it would be tidied and repaired before her next challenge. But asides from damaged rocks and disturbed grass, there was nothing to fix…

Not like her two big fights here. Kris froze, staring down at the sinking field; her mind went back three years before she could stop herself. She thought the match with Gold had done some serious harm, but the way Lance fought… she could still remember watching in awe as the entire pitch burnt; the grass, the rocks, the water, everything on fire, everything in ruins. The crowd certainly had been quiet then. You could have heard a pin drop, people told Kris afterwards. She wished she could remember that, but all she could remember of those final ten minutes against Dragonite was pain; pain and fire…

"You fought well tonight, miss." The nurse wore a bright smile to match her lemon coloured uniform; it was very natural and real, yet when Kris reciprocated, she saw the smile turn false, suddenly an act. Kris was familiar with this by now and merely kept her own smile forced in place: so many people had been nice to her over the years, but it was hard for them to stay happy when Kris oozed darkness from every pore.

"How is everyone going?" Kris asked, moving past the awkwardness as she passed her PokeBalls over.

"Very fine miss, you'll be happy with their progress," the nurse replied quickly, trying less successfully to ignore Kris' mood. "I could call them over for you if you –"

"No, thank you, I need to sleep – it may have been a short one, but every battle is tiring."

"Of course miss." The nurse kept smiling till the last second, but as she turned away, taking the PokeBalls with her, Kris knew she would be shaken, left wondering what was wrong with the Champion to appear so hate filled even after winning.

Let her wonder, Kris thought, sighing to herself, and she began her way down the corridor. Her footsteps echoed with each step, making it sound like there were dozens of people when really it was only her, alone yet again.

She walked past a glass window. Bangs and shouts sounded from behind it. Kris kept walking. The cries got louder, as though they knew she was out there, sensing her through the one-way window. Shaking, Kris kept walking, thinking of home, her bed, sleeping, darkness, anything but…

"MEGA!"

She paused. Whimpering, she turned.

They were all there: the ones who had survived, the replacements she had been forced to accept. Kris watched as Pangoro took a swing at Miltank, the Milk Cow Pokémon dodging and lashing out with her own glowing fist. Mawile and Ampharos fought alongside, electricity and metallic flashes being exchanged, most colliding in the middle. Avalugg reared past the window, blocking the view as his giant frame scraped the wall, ice flecks rubbing off. He fired an attack, and a burst of green blocked it. Avalugg stumbled, and Kris knew who would be standing on the other side. With the echo of a bygone scream firmly in her mind, she turned and walked away.

Champion's Park was empty. Kris walked through the abandoned complex with only the hum of the lights for company. She could remember her first battle here, when the pavements had been overflowing with people cheering and screaming her name. It took hours for the crowds to thin, leaving behind a layer of rubbish that took days to clean up, a reminder of how many people had come to watch her victory.

The meagre crowd that had turned up today hadn't stayed. The stalls selling food and merchandise were already closed; Kris knew the apartments available for rent would be empty. Her footsteps echoed as she walked by the four smaller stadiums and the dozens of battlefields scattered in between, feeling like a ghost moving through an abandoned, oversized playground. There was no breeze to keep her company, no rain or thunder or snow: the skies were cloudless, yet the moon seemed to shine dimly down on her, as though even it couldn't be bothered staying.

It was a long walk back to her apartment. Kris knew a cart would be waiting to escort her home, but it would only take a few minutes, and she wanted to clear her head. Everything that had happened over the past hour, she needed time to let it leave her system.

Though really you have been trying for years to move on, and yet here we are, still letting the past follow us around. Kris looked around as she walked, wondering if anyone would notice if she screamed. There didn't seem to be anyone physically there, but as she turned Kris noticed a blinking light over one of the stadium entrances.

Oh, of course, I am never actually alone, am I? Kris thought, watching as the security camera rotate as it scanned the empty park for any threats. I could always scream for them, letting them know how I really feel. Fuel the fires for you, give you more reason to think I'm just a crazy, unstable little girl… The moment of defiance passed. Kris could not be bothered playing up for their benefit, and she skulked up the path, pounding her way up to her house.

Maybe if they had all been through what I had, they would know why I was how I am, Kris thought. They may have watched the battle, and they probably know what happened on Mt Coronet, but they weren't there, were they… they didn't have to lead a faction into war four months after their mother died, did they? If she shut her eyes long enough, Kris always ended up back there: knees in the snow, blood creeping down her face, Enigma Stone in one hand, Latias' hand in the other, both of them screaming as they tried to save the world. She could still hear the clash of swords as Vanessa and Draco fought metres from her, the former's dress drenched in so much blood Kris couldn't even remember the colour.

She could explain all that to the League Officials, but they wouldn't care: it would be the final straw, the opportunity to take her out of action – PTSD, she could see that being the excuse. Lance would be brought back in, they'd throw a tournament to decide, he would win no matter what.

And Kris would go – where? New Bark Town, the place her mother was buried, the home she shared with Gold? Ecruteak, to go watch Hanoko slowly die? Travel, try her hand at another league?

Oh yeah, cause this one worked soooo well. Kris paused and turned, staring down at the stadium below. This had been her dream, to win this title, to be able to call that giant oval hers. Yet here she was, bored by battles, dreading seeing her own Pokémon, haunted by her past at every turn. How I wish I could just leave, pack up and go… but I can't, not now, not with everything that is about to happen…

"Are you going to keep looking into space, or do you want to head inside?"

Kris spun: for a moment, fear coursed through her, but then the speaker stepped forwards, revealing his purple jacket, jet black hair, those eyes she could never forget. Spike beamed his crooked smile, and Kris' face lit up as she ran forwards. The two embraced, and Kris planted her lips on his, kissing him so vigorously she could have left bruises.

"I'm glad you're happy to see me."

"I'm glad you are as well," Kris said smirking, her hips pressed against his groin. "I had no idea you were coming, why didn't you – "

"I had to be on the down-lo after what you requested. If anyone knew I was coming… I can't leave a trail, not after what I did." Kris stepped backwards, her joy quickly turning to intrigue. Spike's smile sank, the moment of happiness gone, and he reached into a pocket in his jacket.

"No, not here," Kris hissed, looking around. "Inside, now." She grabbed his arm, forcing another smile for whoever was watching, and the two briskly walked the last few metres into her house.

The door banged open. Kris cast her eyes around the entrance hall, but there was no one there. Relieved, she turned and cast her eyes over her boyfriend: Spike had gotten tall over the past year, now standing a firm head above her; his jet black hair clashed horribly with the purple leather of his coat, yet his muscular frame pulled it off. She wondered what was missing, and realised it was the staff he use to carry with him everywhere. It was strange to see him without it, but that only confirmed Kris' fears.

"You didn't have to steal it, you know. I am sure Clair would have been more than happy to help me." Despite his sombre face, Spike snorted as soon as she spoke, and Kris had to giggle at her own error. "I mean, you know, help the region."

"You're still involved, and she won't help you for all the good it would do," Spike replied. "She won the Elder title basically by default, but now she is struggling to prove she actually deserves it. There will be a mutiny soon enough if she doesn't live up to her grandfather's reputation, and helping you in any way would massively damage that."

"Well, we all know what it's like to live in someone else's reputation," Kris mumbled bitterly. Spike's smile fade, and an awkward silence formed between the two. Kris sighed: with everything that had happened, and everything that would happen, it was easy to forget the awkwardness of her situation. She opened her mouth to apologise, but Spike shook his head, sapphire eyes bearing down on her.

"Forget about it," he said as he reached inside his pockets. "I did this because it needs to be done. Forget about Clair and all of them: he needs this… you need it." His hand emerged, revealing the sparkling rock for which he had forsaken all his vows for. Faint whispers erupted in her head as Kris stared at the Enigma Stone: the surface was cracked, but otherwise it was nearly identical to hers. She felt relief to have it after all these weeks, but at the same moment she felt dread, knowing what had to be done.

"Put it on the table and step outside," she said, stepping towards a painting of the Tohjo Falls hanging on the wall opposite.

"Step outside? Why?"

"Because this is going to get messy." The painting swung open at her touch, revealing a small safe behind. Kris typed the pin in and turned the bar-like handle: it was empty except for a crystal, glittering in the light. Kris paused, wondering if she was ready for all this, ready to embark on this next step in her journey. Then she remembered her Pokémon, watching them battle, everything they had gone through: what would their sacrifices amount to if she gave up here?

Flashes from her past danced before her eyes the second Kris touched the crystal. The memories hurt, but she clenched her teeth and turned, slamming the safe closed and pushing the painting back. The whispers were getting louder, but a sole voice sounded over them: you can do this, Kris: he needs your help, only you can do this.

"Kris, I really think I should be here – what if something goes wrong?" Spike said pleadingly. "Do you remember how much it hurt when he arrived, how painful it was to have both of them inside your head: the two Crystals together will only make it worse."

"I know." Kris looked at him for a moment, pained by the hurt in his eyes. Yet at the same moment, Meganium's scream flashed bright in her memory: she was winded, and without a moment's hesitation, she grabbed the other stone.

Pain exploded in her head. The table was sent flying, Spike fell to the floor, the whole house shook. Kris ignored all of it: wincing, she turned and looked down the hall, focusing on a door at the end of the house.

It swung open. A blinding light burst out of the room, engulfing everything. It was strong, blinding, but Kris soldiered on. Spike yelled out behind her, but his voice was lost in all the cries inside her head: the wars from decades, centuries past, the screams of trainers in their final moments, coupled with her own pain. Tears flowed down Kris' face and she walked towards the light, the shadows of two figures waiting for her on the other side. She shut her eyes, trying to stop the pain, trying to stop her memories…

She stepped inside the room, and it all went black.

The phone rang… once… twice… three times…

Amanda sighed and hung up. It had been the same response every time she had called for the past week. She checked the time again, just as she had done after every other failed attempt, each time hoping she was wrong and her watch was broken. But no – it was one minute past midnight once again, which meant Buzz still was not picking up.

Amanda put her phone next to her on the end of the bed and sat still, wondering what to do next. She remained frozen for a minute: she tried to focus on the crashing waves outside her tent, on the distant fog horn echoing in the night, the closer cackles of a party returning home of the night.

She lasted a minute, and then she screamed.

Leaping to her feet, Amanda grabbed her bed and flipped it, throwing the thin metal frame against the canvas. As it bounced to the floor, she knocked her laptop, notes and mug off her table and then kicked that across the middle, cracking the wood. She bent the chair, standing on the hinges until they snapped, and then threw through the flaps, listening as it clanged onto the ground.

You ignorant, selfish, manipulative little prick, Amanda thought, grabbing the plate leftover from her dinner and smashing it, letting sauce and soggy vegetables fly across her possessions. Are you the only one affected by this, are you the only one afraid of what is going to happen next? I have put all my trust into you; I am living in a fucking tent babysitting toddlers for you; the least you can do is show me some fucking -GRATITUDE!"

Amanda snapped still, that last word echoing as she held a jacket in both hands, about to tear it in two. She dropped it and stepped out through the flaps. Their campsite, made up of about a dozen tents set up around a car on the corner of the Fuchsia Beach Promenade, was empty. Breathing deeply, Amanda stared at the identical tents, waiting for someone to come out and quiz her: she had lost control, letting that last word slip out, drawing the final attention to herself. Throwing everything around, that had been reserved, hidden away behind the tent for no one to see, but even she knew how loudly she had screamed. Everyone would have heard it; what would they say…how could they follow her now…the show, the plan, it was ruined…

No one appeared. Amanda waited, knowing it was too good to be true to get away with that. But as her rage faded, pushed to the back of her mind where it belonged, she was able to think clearly. Damien had won today's battle challenge, and was staying at a hotel with his Pokémon and a third of the crew. The rest of them had gone to the local bar, leaving only Chloe and Lachlan behind.

Fervently, Amanda marched towards Lachlan's tent, peering through a hole she had made near the top several weeks ago: the boy was asleep, headphones in and out to the world. Amanda stepped back and breathed a sigh of relief, while swiftly grabbing loose strands of hair and pulling them tightly back into a bun loosened during her rage.

That's all of them, except for… Chloe. The girl's tent flaps were fluttering in the soft breeze blowing in from the water, and it did not take long for Amanda to turn and spot the girl: she was at the end of the pier, staring out towards the water.

Her heels echoed each time they rapped against the wooden boulevard. Chloe turned and gazed at Amanda but made no remark, quickly looking back to the ocean. Amanda tensed up but tried to compose herself, not wanting to give her any room to act.

"What are you doing out here? We have a busy day of filming tomorrow, I don't want you tired and causing a scene."

"I'll go to bed in a minute," Chloe snapped back. Amanda resisted the urge to slap her. She had spent weeks dealing with these children, all for a mission that was falling apart around her, and they were getting on her nerves their constant bickering amongst each other and inability to pose any threat to Alaska.

Breathe, Amanda, breathe… you are the producer, you have to be in control.

"Well, make sure you do," Amanda said, forcing a smile, and she turned to leave. She pushed the rage away and took solace in the fact no one had noticed her outburst: she could carry on how she was, and still have sway over this lot should Buzz still need her. But it had been over a week now and she still hadn't heard from him: was she not meant to be his closest confidante, was she not the one who had done anything and everything he had asked of her, was she not the person he had let degrade, torture and abuse however he saw fit…

"Amanda." The producer stopped and spun around, biting her lips to stop herself screaming again. Chloe didn't seem to notice though, staring at her with eyes swimming with tears. "Amanda, I just wanted to know… no, never mind, it's not –"

"Tell me," Amanda said sharply. "I'm your producer, I am happy to deal with any issues you might have." Chloe paused, watching her for a moment, sniffling pathetically.

"I'm a good trainer, aren't I? Like, I mean, there is a still a chance I can win this, right?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's been weeks since I last won a challenge, and the more challenges I lose, the more opportunities Damian and Lachlan are getting to advance." Tears streamed down her face now, and Chloe sniffed and wiped her nose as she stared tearfully at Amanda. "I came on this show because I thought I would have a chance at winning, but I just keep losing, and nothing I do seems to help! I've been training every day, my Pokémon are growing stronger, but I still keep getting my arse handed to me!"

"Now Chloe, don't sell yourself short, there is still time to –"

"And BLOODY ALASKA!" Chloe screamed, stamping her foot so hard that snot flew right out of her nose. "Just when I think I am doing better, that cow shows up, undermining me further, thinking she is so great! Why can't she just back off and leave me alone instead of always getting in my way? This is my chance to actually succeed, to be someone other than just my father's daughter. If I won, I would be able to support myself and decide my own future. But every time she appears, she just throws me off balance and it takes weeks to get back on track and… and… just… URGH!"

Amanda watched as the girl lashed out, kicking a mouldy bit of wood; she cracked it in two, but injured her foot at the same time, adding moans of pain to her cries. She wanted to slap her, to tell her to get over herself and move on, tell her what she really thought of her: spoilt, immature, greedy, demanding.

Yet now, there was something in her Amanda had never seen before: anger, true, untampered, spiteful rage. She hates Alaska almost as much as I do, the producer thought, her lips spreading in a smile. And she has been training a lot – her Pokémon are improving. She is a halfway competent trainer… better than Buzz ever was.

"Come here Chloe, we need to have a talk." Amanda wrapped an arm around her, pulling Chloe into her wake and guiding her back down the pier.

"Talk? About what? And you never answered my question!"

"Oh honey, there is more going on in this world right now than a little reality show. We have a mutual problem, you and I, and if you have me get rid of it, then I will ensure that you win in ways you never imagined." Chloe looked confused, but Amanda's mind was clearer than it had been in weeks, and she led the girl back towards the campsite, the next stage of her plan already forming.

I would just like to say that this is the 100th overall chapter of this story. I am amazed I have made it this far, but there is still more to come! Thanks all those who have read and reviewed in the past, and I hope that Fuchsia and beyond will keep you reading.

Please note that this story is nominated in the Summer Awards in a few categories: Best Journey, Best Protagonist (Alaska), Best Supporting (Sandy) and Best Pokemon (Darwin). If you want to vote for this story or any others, the link is in my signature.

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Interlude 13 (100th Chapter!)

Ok … where am I going to start with this one. I had started to draft out arc-by-arc reviews while reading through this. I think a lot of it will be redundant by this point - similarly I don't think it will do anyone any good to rephrase the Awards comments that you're already seen anyway.

Technical Accuracy
I bang on about this a lot, but there's a point to it. I think you probably pick up most of what ends up being underlined in red. There's a problem with words that look similar to the ones you're after but aren't – and that's what end's up breaking the flow when I have to stop and wider whether you really mean “stare” or “start”

Style
A rewrite will probably go a long way to ironing this out. It is inevitable with a long story that there'll be some drift in style. You get better with practice and so the earlier chapters don't look great by comparison. I think the main thing will be tightening up some of the point of view issues. The “speculate about x, but Alaska didn't really care” construction, especially, looks kind of awkward and since we already know when we're reading from Alaska's perspective what she doesn't pay attention to looks paradoxically weird.

Story
I'm going to pick on some less-obvious issues here. I'll start with the Darwin plot. I'm in two minds about this. The plot is fairly typical of disobedient pokémon plots insofar as Alaska doesn't really do anything to bring Darwin into line. As far as I recall all she actually does is try to channel his energy through battle. This in itself isn't a bad idea, but for the most part it boils down to the usual “hope for the best” approach. You could say, quite reasonably, that the fact that Alaska doesn't discipline Darwin is the reason that she loses control. I'm thinking in that case, it wouldn't hurt if somewhere you could find a place for someone to point this out to Alaska.

Your battles are generally alright. I'd have liked to see more strategy in there, especially from the Gym Leaders. The one which didn't work was the Power Plant challenge. Eight pokémon and four trainers was always going to be a bitch to balance. Somehow it needs trimming or streamlining or something.

Characters
Charlotte's apparently managed to grow a brain between now and the 80s. Or was it the 70s, I forget when Dawn of Darkness is set.

I don't really know what to say here, because honestly there's not a lot character-wise that I like. Gideon makes for a decent villain – I'm prepared to forgive his habit of gloating at unwise moments since he really does use the weapons he has at his disposal and gets out of there when there's no reason to hang around.

Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Interlude 13 (100th Chapter!)

Ok … where am I going to start with this one. I had started to draft out arc-by-arc reviews while reading through this. I think a lot of it will be redundant by this point - similarly I don't think it will do anyone any good to rephrase the Awards comments that you're already seen anyway.

Technical Accuracy
I bang on about this a lot, but there's a point to it. I think you probably pick up most of what ends up being underlined in red. There's a problem with words that look similar to the ones you're after but aren't – and that's what end's up breaking the flow when I have to stop and wider whether you really mean “stare” or “start”

Style
A rewrite will probably go a long way to ironing this out. It is inevitable with a long story that there'll be some drift in style. You get better with practice and so the earlier chapters don't look great by comparison. I think the main thing will be tightening up some of the point of view issues. The “speculate about x, but Alaska didn't really care” construction, especially, looks kind of awkward and since we already know when we're reading from Alaska's perspective what she doesn't pay attention to looks paradoxically weird.

Story
I'm going to pick on some less-obvious issues here. I'll start with the Darwin plot. I'm in two minds about this. The plot is fairly typical of disobedient pokémon plots insofar as Alaska doesn't really do anything to bring Darwin into line. As far as I recall all she actually does is try to channel his energy through battle. This in itself isn't a bad idea, but for the most part it boils down to the usual “hope for the best” approach. You could say, quite reasonably, that the fact that Alaska doesn't discipline Darwin is the reason that she loses control. I'm thinking in that case, it wouldn't hurt if somewhere you could find a place for someone to point this out to Alaska.

Your battles are generally alright. I'd have liked to see more strategy in there, especially from the Gym Leaders. The one which didn't work was the Power Plant challenge. Eight pokémon and four trainers was always going to be a bitch to balance. Somehow it needs trimming or streamlining or something.

Characters
Charlotte's apparently managed to grow a brain between now and the 80s. Or was it the 70s, I forget when Dawn of Darkness is set.

I don't really know what to say here, because honestly there's not a lot character-wise that I like. Gideon makes for a decent villain – I'm prepared to forgive his habit of gloating at unwise moments since he really does use the weapons he has at his disposal and gets out of there when there's no reason to hang around.

Grammar/spelling noted. I do my best and do re-read my chapters several times, but sometimes things can blur into one. If you happen to have any specific notes I'd be happy to go back and fix them.

Would you mind elaborating on what you mean by "speculate about x" bit, can't quite get my head around it.

The entire point of the Darwin plot is that Alaska didn't do anything to bring him into line, and simply snapped when pushed too far - which she did begin to realise in her last blog post. I don't want to say a lot given it gets covered in this next arc, but Darwin leaving is a significant part of the story.

Again, Alaska isn't meant to be good at strategy: that was the whole point of the Sabrina arc (not sure if you read that bit or not). The gym leaders I accept that: I sort of didn't realise at the time that a lot of them turned out to be horrible people, but I will work on that.

The Power Plant thing was always a mess: balancing all that at the time was a nightmare, and it seems to be a turning point for some people with regards to this story. I plan to completely rewrite those chapters specifically set there in the editing process and make it work better.

It was the 80s, and Charlotte's always had a brain - she does things for her reasons, and they are justifiable in her view.

Some more depth with regards to the character stuff would be appreciated. It does appear that my characters can be quite divisive (people seem to either love or hate Alaska) but anything solid would be good for feedback when it comes to rewriting. I am trying to ground Alaska's personality more and give her more depth in the earlier chapters to justify her actions more, so anything there would be appreciated.

There was a lot in your official awards review I'd like to respond to, but given you haven't made it public I would feel tacky doing so here - I would be open to a VM/PM debate if you are. I hope you found something to enjoy - given your score, I kind of doubt it, but you can't please everyone. If you get a chance to read the rewrites when they go up I'd appreciate some feedback on that, but otherwise thanks for the feedback, I will be taking it on board.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom