• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps - Chapter 100

Chapter Fifty-Three: Take a Game (6,806 Words)

Setting (World, Characters, Ect)
-Although I have no love for Alaska’s enemies (and, yes, they could treat her better), Alaska is only getting worse as a character. She is a menace to society (as Daisy implied) and, in reality, would likely end up in jail when she steps too far out of line one day.
—At least she is a little less impulsive now, though still immensely stupid. It was refreshing that they all worked together in a crisis, which isn’t what typically happens with the (thankfully absent) reality stars

Story (Believability, Interest)
-Barred from Game Freak for no reason? They destroyed one of their R&D floors. Good reason.
-A flare wouldn’t blow up a car.

Small Details
-A lot more of your chapters have been very lengthy recently
-Your creativity is shining through in this chapter again
-Is Flareon named Evelyn or Dragonite? I think you got it backwards.
-IDWPDF (5)

Chapter Fifty-Four: Leaving the Earth Behind (4,557 Words)

-I know I have been hard on Alaska recently, but it is more me than the character. She is obviously what the story needs and people like her, I just don’t relate well to her.
--I do like the Sandy-Alaska chapters more. Alaska seems more sane and grounded.

-Snorlax, just another in a nice line or memories you are evoking. Keep it up.
-The real world references bring an interesting dynamic to your story

Small Details
-Luminous, pink Band-Aids…classic.
-IDWPDF (7)

Chapter Fifty-Five: Life’s A Beach (5,581 Words)

-I love that Sandy is practically a walking Pokédex since Alaska knows next to nothing about Pokémon
-Alaska is such a hypocrite
-You still have yet to write a character who isn’t an asshole (barring Sandy)

-Goldeen is orange…
-Alaska only has three Pokémon…

Small Details
-I love the change of perspective, you should have done this forever ago
-IDWPDF (7)

Chapter Fifty-Six: Something Fishy This Way Comes (5,757 Words)

-Please don’t turn Sandy into Alaska. Anything but that.

-Nice incorporation of the Apricorn Balls
-Pichu never would have taken multiple Mud Shots

Small Details
-The constantly impending doom and death is annoying and (imo) unrealistic.
-IDWPDF (5)

Chapter Fifty-Seven: Washed Up (3,240 Words)

-I am glad you added a character that has an emotion other than kill or screw you, even if it was a depressing Pokémon
-No matter how much I dislike every decision that Alaska makes, Chloe is still worse

-I have really enjoyed the Sandy point of view and I am really glad Alaska finally got told off. I just wish you had finished it and not interrupted it, like all of Alaska’s other chances to grow.

Small Details
-Your grammar and writing style has amazingly improved
-IDWPDF (3)

Chapter Fifty-Eight: A Dose of Reality (4,506 Words)

-I love Sandy so much, I am glad she isn’t disillusioned about Alaska’s insanity (though the insanity seems to be improving)

-Would a reality show really be playing on tv as they film it? I don’t actually know, but I feel like they would finish filming everything before they aired it.

Small Details
-Excellent change of pace for the characters and the story. It had a couple of chances to go off the rails, but everyone controlled themselves and we got a nice, calm chapter. Try some more of these occasionally.
-IDWPDF (6)

Chapter Fifty-Nine: The Tale of Sandy Samson (4,698 Words)

-Your depiction of Alaska and Sandy’s relationship is amazing and wildly accurate. Friends aren’t perfect, they make mistakes, but the best ones work through it. Well written.

-Pokémon are tough in the wild and once captured, it is a little strange that you write like they could die at the slightest mishap when they can take a Hyper Beam and sometimes walk it off.
-Does Alaska realize she is being hypocritical (again)? She is pissed that no one will tell her anything for her “protection,” but she does the same to Sandy?
-The other day, when Nitelite dropped us and that Snorlax began to wake up, I thought for certain it was going to kill us. I have never felt that way about Pokemon before.
—Try and be consistent with your story telling. This is not true. Alaska is constantly terrified that every wild Pokémon she see is going to kill (and potentially eat) her.

Small Details
-Your descriptions of the world continue to blow me away, make them more frequent.
-I also love your Pokémon metaphors
-Don’t be afraid to write more chapter like this. They really bring the characters out and are important to the development, even if the story is halted momentarily.
-IDWPDF (8)

Blog Eleven: The Paths Untaken (1,347 Words)

-I wondered where this blog would go since the arc was primarily introspective. You did an excellent job with it. It covers what the blog normally does, but the way it is written also shows Alaska’s mood and her desire to change.

-Explosion-sober, I like it.
-Not that Amanda didn’t tell Buzz where Alaska is, but it was dumb of her to announce her location in the blog.
-Alaska must have one hell of a computer to have survived everything it has. And Kanto has amazing WiFi.

Small Details
-IDWPDF (8)

Interlude Eleven: Six Degrees of Madness (7,180 Words)

-Ethan Hartley is Gold? That isn’t clear.
-Red and Blue were best friends? Interesting.
-I will be honest, I missed Gideon. He makes the story.

-Johto and Kanto have different Champions? Also not exactly clear, especially as Lance is involved with both.
-POKEMON DON’T DIE IN BATTLES, PLEASE STOP HINTING AT IT. ITS ANNOYING.
-Red’s idea of sending Leaf away is Fuchsia? Why not Johto or farther?

Small Details
-Did Kris fight Dragonite with Latias or Latios? The story says Latios, but it seems like it should be Latias.
-Completely off topic, but interesting nonetheless…these people clearly don’t understand fate. If Alaska is destined to fight in the final battle, she will fight in the final battle. Nothing will stop her from getting there. She doesn’t need protection because she can’t die until her destiny is fulfilled. If they truly wanted to help, they would help her get stronger so she is prepared for the day when she will, inevitably, fight that battle.
-That was maybe a bit much…
-IDWPDF (4)

Last edited:
Chapter Sixty: Waking Up to a Brand New Death (4,008 Words)

-Alaska has a sickly vivid imagination, perhaps she should retire and write horror films.

-This isn’t against you or the story, but Buzz has serious “bad guy syndrome.” If you want them dead, kill them, don’t kidnap them. Rookie mistake. This is why you will fail.
-Buzz started following them in Vermillion? Alaska first interrupted the shoot in Viridian Forest.
-Despite the anti-spy movie trope comment, the chapter was very spy movie. Not a bad thing though, I love James Bond.

Small Details
-I really appreciate an explosion that is both beneficial and explained before it happened. I was a little bored of BOOM, end of chapter, what is going on. Nice change.
-IDWPDF (5)

Chapter Sixty-One: Shock in the City (4,142 Words)

-Another beautiful description. This time of how awful office work is.
-I cried a little bit at Buzz’s choice of Pokémon. Classic Team Rocket choices, but I love them all the same. Maybe I should have joined Team Rocket.
-Sandy is an excellent example of what someone can do when called upon. Don’t let the blonde hair distract you, she is a warrior within.

-Do you have to pointlessly maim and kill people? You could easily have talked about the falling glass and just implied injury (or said everyone was alright).

Small Details
-The running commentary of “It did seem like a good idea at the time,” is entertaining and gives the story a strong sense of continuity.
-IDWPDF (7)

Chapter Sixty-Two: Science Behind the Madness (6,176 Words)

-Alaska can be annoying at times, but her wit is unmatchable. If she fails as a horror film director, maybe she should try her hand at satirical comedy.

-There is something comical (yet wrong) about two thirteen-year old girls slinking around an office building with guns out. Just weird James Bond flashbacks.
-Fitting in a version of RBY’s Silph attack is entertaining and a neat twist.
-Your forethought is impressive

Small Details
-I love how you snuck ruby, sapphire, emerald, pearl, and diamond into the story
-I want that Zubat-only Repel, pleeeeeeeeeeeeease
-IDWPDF (7)

Chapter Sixty-Three: Parental Consideration Advised (5,411 Words)

-I think Gallade is a good Pokémon for Looker, but part of his appeal (interest) in the games is that he has no Pokémon.
--Excellent character in Looker, btw
-Also, good job with mixing up the characters a bit too. Looker and Mr. Melton break your normal trend of everyone is an ass.

-I know Alaska said her mom is useless with technology, but she has posted quite a bit of what has happened to her in that blog. If her mom has read it, she knows.

Small Details
-Robot army. Not what I expected when I started reading a Pokémon fic, but definitely an interesting (if foreshadowed) development.
-IDWPDF (8)

Chapter Sixty-Four: The Fun Times at the End of the Tunnel (

-I know Giovanni was mimicking Blofeld (James Bond) with his Persian fetish and Looker was comparing Giovanni and Buzz (somewhat mockingly), but I will take it as a gratuitous Bond reference and say KUDOS.

-I still think the amount of physical abuse that Sandy/Alaska go through is a little excessive, especially with practically no time to heal. I realize they have had “magical” help, but two, untested thirteen-year olds wouldn’t be able to take it

Small Details
-You are keeping things interesting and doing a better job of balancing action and character growth. Keep it up.
-IDWPDF (8)

Chapter Sixty-Five: Saving Private Alaska (4,686 Words)

-Maybe don’t use the same name twice in the same story. Sandy Samson…Samson Silph, could lead to confusion.

-Good filler chapter to get everyone out without stacking on a lot more action.
-Setting the bar with the Sandy-view chapters in the last arc saved a lot of confusion when you moved to her view in this chapter.

Small Details
-The chapters are consistently longer now, but aren’t varying from 2,000-8,000 words, which is nice.

Chapter Sixty-Six (4,039 Words)

-You are doing a better job giving variety to your characters and at just the right time. Sabrina is my favorite canon character and I would have been upset if you made her another faceless asshole.
-Are you ever going to fix Alaska’s rage issues?

-I was extremely confused about how Alaska was talking with a broken jaw, but you did an excellent job solving that issue with the mental speech.

Small Details
-You have found a good pace for the story now.
-IDWPDF (7)

Blog Twelve: #YODO (1,709 Words)

-So, I was proud of Alaska until she revealed that the spies told her to withhold information (though impressed she listened). Not sure why they don’t release Buzz’s name, it might force him to ground.

-More Bond references, thank you.

Small Details
-I think this is your best blog yet.

Interlude Twelve: Motivational Speaking (4,684 Words)

-You really don’t like rich people, do you?
-Gideon is the true antagonist of the story. Chaos for the sake of chaos is the true sign of pure evil.

-I was really hoping that, with an army of robots, Buzz had a better plan than march up to the League and kill Red. He just isn’t cut out to be in charge.

Small Details
-Well written and planned out. Bringing Buzz and Gideon together was great, even if we didn’t learn anything new.
-IDWPDF (6)

Last edited:
-Not that it takes away from the story, because I am sure a lot of people are similar, but William’s character bothers me a little bit. If he had been out of work three years, even dealing with depression, he could have done some repair work or chores around the house.
I think that is a subjective view. The family is established as being reasonably poor, so I believe the lack of money coupled with depression/mental illness would lead to a level of unproductivity.

-The school comment confused me a little. If the kids were in school, why wasn’t Mitchell? When do kids finish school? If 10 is when a lot of trainers go on journeys, do they finish before then? Is that why Alaska isn’t in school?
It is the summer holidays at this moment of the story, but I suppose that has not been clarified.

-The age of Mitchell and Freddie combined with their “cluelessness” is a little difficult to believe. By 9 and 10 (especially if kids are going on adventures at 10), they would be much more aware of life. Immaturity would still be present, but a level of their innocence would have begun to disappear.
Again, subjective, I feel. I recently spent time with two cousins who are 13, only a month or two away from 14, and I feel they are only slightly above the level from Mitchell we see here.

As such, it is a little weird that you use “Robin” so much and not “mom.” At 13, even in those circumstances, Alaska would have called her “mom” most of time.
Again, subjective.

-Cocktails selling a less-than-13 year old?
The cocktails reference is meant to be a generic holiday trope rather than what specifically attracted Alaska's attention. In saying that, she does have a heightened sense of her own maturity and intelligence, so would envision herself one day sipping a mojito by the side of a pool.

Thanks for the effort of these reviews - I certainly have never seen anything on this level before! I will look over the proofreads for the first arc more closely when I have a chance.

Last edited:
Chapter Sixty-Seven: A Game of Strategy (6,552 Words)

-You narrator view is becoming too pro-Alaska. It is making the better characters you are developing seem worse because Alaska hates them (and everyone)

-Parasect took three Fire Punches? Not happening.
-The Shellder-Natu fight was excellent

Small Details
-IDWPDF (5)

Chapter Sixty-Eight: That Psychic Feeling (6,699 Words)

-I am glad that everyone else realizes that Alaska is an idiot and needs to change. Her complete unwillingness to do so, though frustrating, is consistent with her character.

-Early in the story, Twister affected Clefairy (who is Fairy-type), but now it doesn’t affect Gardevoir for the same reason. I know Fairy-type was developed between the two chapters being written, but you either need to stick to your original canon (no Fairy) or explain its development in your story
-At this point, the most realistic way to end the story is with Alaska’s death. She refuses to change, she refuses help, and she is a terrible battler. It only makes sense.

Small Details
-IDWPDF (1)

Chapter Sixty-Nine: The Least Sexy Chapter (5,601 Words)

-Alaska is a violent drunk date, love the comment. Spot on.
-I assume the picture in your profile is Alaska? I guess she kind of has long hair…

-Nice job explaining the prophetic rock and tying in Charlotte
-The explanation of the corruption of the League is excellent and Alaska actually has something concrete to be angry at…for once.
—Everything you said about the League makes sense, but even if Red threw a match to make her Champion, she would only remain Champion until her first challenge. She is a terrible trainer and not fit to have five gym badges, let alone be considered the strongest trainer in the region.

Small Details
-That was an excellent chapter all-around. The explanations, the emotions, the potential growth.
—Previous experience, however, tells me that nothing is going to change. Yes, Alaska’s allies could have been more transparent, but she could have also tried a little harder to not be a bitch.
-IDWPDF (3)

Chapter Seventy: A Neighborly Chat (3,569 Words)

-Alaska already hates humanity, I am not sure how much worse her viewpoint can get.
-Alistair’s horribly inaccurate impression of Alaska makes me question his psyche a bit. Alaska is none of the things he said.
-I don’t feel sorry for Alaska at all. Boo hoo, your life isn’t the way you want it to be. Join the club of billions of people in the world with the same problem.

-No one has figured out that, no matter what happens, Alaska will survive to the final battle?
-Alistair didn’t know about the lesson? Sabrina and Alaska were shouting back and forth about it for most of the battle…

Small Details
-I agree with Alistair’s comment about Alaska’s combos at Saffron, however, they were not on purpose. True, she does well improvising, but if she could complete combos on purpose, she might have a better chance of actually winning a battle.
-You are still maintaining a good pace between action and reflection.
—The introduction of Alistair as someone to process with was brilliant and realistic. Well done.

Chapter Seventy-One: Keep Your Friends Close (4,455 Words)

-Looker’s personality is a refreshing change of pace from most of the other characters

-I feel like this chapter could have been a lot shorter and avoided ANOTHER argument between Alaska and Sandy if Alaska had just said “hey, I need some time to clear my head and be alone, meet me at Cycling Road tomorrow at dusk.” Everything ends the same, but much shorter and no more teenage angst.
-Small point, technically Damian discovered the Beedrill robot (or Mitchell)

Small Details
-I hope you keep the good characters (like Looker) involved in the plot and they don’t disappear (like Hansom)
-IDWPDF (5)

Chapter Seventy-Two: The Short Walk (5,180 Words)

-Sandy is growing. YAY. Alaska’s turn.
-Alaska handled a situation with poise and intelligence…finally. I am still a little bummed that Alaska and Sandy got interrupted again, but if it shows some growth from Alaska, I will take it.

-Wow, amazing explanation of cars in Kanto. Solid historical work.

Small Details
-You are using your excellent descriptive abilities once again in this chapter. I don’t know why you don’t use them more often. You are good at painting pictures with words.
-An Electrode with limbs…nice.
-Your story has become a tad predictable. It was obvious that you would bring Darwin back at some point, it was just a matter of when and I like how you are semi-following the route from the games, but it makes it easy to see what is coming next.

Chapter Seventy-Three: A Test Too Far (4,628 Words)

-That is the Alaska I have been waiting forever to see. The change was abrupt, but explainable and I hope it is permanent.

-Twister is blue now? It was always purple before.

Small Details
-Great chapter. Best in a long time.
-IDWPDF (7)

Blog Thirteen: I Should Be So Lucky (1,347 Words)

-A very different mood for Alaska and not a bad one. It is consistent with how she was acting in the last chapter and I hope it continues going forward.

-Nothing to say

Small Details
-IDWPDF (7)

Interlude Thirteen: Doing it for Themselves (6,206 Words)

-I love your depiction of Clair. I always kind of despised her.
-For some reason, you have altered Damian to Damien.

-The first two section of this Interlude were pretty pointless. The second only helped to explain the first and kind of ties into the Latios/Latias line. It barely adds any plot to the story and could have been skipped or possibly flashbacked when things become more relevant. It seemed like a waste of time.
—The Amanda/Chloe segment has a little use, but I feel like this should have gone elsewhere.

Small Details
-Double-check your spelling of Acevedo when you type it. I know you sometimes use Avocado as an insult, but I think it may get out-corrected to Avocado sometimes when you don’t intend.
-IDWPFD (4)

Last edited:
Chapter Seventy-Four: No Escape (4,197 Words)

-Use a PokéBall or Pidgeotto on Shellder, Alaska likes to do everything the hardest way possible

-Your little note said don’t be frustrated with Alaska’s anger, which I am trying, but it is her inability to admit anyone may be better than her that bothers me the most. Everyone loses battles, she has to accept that. She is still a terrible (if amazingly lucky) trainer and, admittedly, doesn’t train enough. She should expect to lose occasionally.
-The Primeape situation is a bit unconventional, I am interested to see how it plays out

Small Details
-IDWPDF (5)

Chapter Seventy-Five: Need a Hit (6,118 Words)

-no one could be that crazy and still be allowed to save the world, right?
—Alaska is that crazy and is being asked to save the world.
-You and I just have completely different ideas about all the pre-established characters. You made Janine a hero, in my stories, she is useless.
-A) Old Alaska is back…boo. B) She is a naughty child who can not be controlled.

-Another amazingly written description (this time of Fuchsia and its fall).

Small Details
-I don’t understand Alaska’s swordsmith comment.
-I had some difficulty following the dialogue in this chapter.

Chapter Seventy-Six: Feel Me Now (4,986 Words)

-The return of Alaska the Angry Moron, completely expected

-How does Alaska know about the Cynthia Code?
-Not everyone is a rage-fueled monster when confronted. Some people can actually control themselves. You should work on writing one of those characters.

Small Details
-Ditto Serum? First time mentioned and you brushed right over it. Something Gideon invented? How does it play in?
-Your dialogue is rough in this chapter too. You jump all over the place and it is difficult to figure out who is talking.

Chapter Seventy-Seven: Falling (5,499 Words)

-A rich, gay prostitute being whored by his mother. Now that is what I call a complex (and different) character. Well done.
-Yet another epiphany for Alaska, the question remains as to whether it will change her. Hopes are still low.
-You are killing Sandy’s character.

-The story of Kalos is depressing and phenomenally told.

Small Details
-IDWPDF (4)

Chapter Seventy-Eight: Addicted to You (6,102 Words)

-If you just gave Sandy an Umbreon, she will be my favorite character forever. If it isn’t Umbreon, you better explain very quickly how it is something else.

-From one standpoint, I hope Alaska’s Pokémon heart-to-heart works. From another standpoint, I am not sure how having Primeape punch her again will do any good. It’s touching, but it makes no sense to me.

Small Details
-“It was something Janine said earlier, about how I’m basically just a supporting part of all this. I hadn’t really considered it before, but I realised she has a point.
—Sandy is constantly complaining about being Alaska’s sidekick, she has clearly thought about how her role is only supportive.
-Good job tying the two halves of the chapter together
-IDWPDF (7)

Chapter Seventy-Nine: Poison Paradise (7,851 Words)

-Bertram is an amazing character. Wise beyond his circumstances.
-Sylveon….man, at least it makes sense. :(
-Janine fits directly into the same mold as all the other gym leaders. Asshole. At least she, sort of, has a reason

-Excellent job tying in the attitude of Fuchsia you have been building up
-The birds of Kanto are not as big as planes. Moltres (the largest) is only 6 feet long
-I get the idea of Rock Slide bringing Paige down so Steamroller/Toxic Spikes would be effective, but you could have just pretended Scolipede learns Smack Down
-Why would you ever replace Ice Beam with Ice Punch?

Small Details
-Your chapters are unnecessarily lengthy again
-The gym battles are becoming predictable. The gym leader has a perfect strategy, Alaska thinks she has it beat anyway. She is wrong and fails horribly, yet somehow wins the battle for no reason. I am just waiting for the next Alaska luck-miracle in the next chapter.
-IDWPDF (2)

Chapter Eighty: Intoxicate (6,651 Words)

-Why does Alaska never re-call her Pokémon? You have established that it is legal, yet she never does it.
-Despite her early rage, Alaska kept it together. Much needed character progress. Her innate rage at Leaf (and so many other people) should be her next step.

-The ridiculous amount of damage Alaska’s Pokémon take in battle indicates they are far stronger than they truly are.
-Frustration was a stroke of pure genius.

Small Details
-IDWPDF (4)
-Nice transition back to Alaska’s view.
-Interesting use of Toxic Spikes. It is always interesting to see how status/boosting moves get used in stories

Blog Fourteen: Taking Over Me (1,137 Words)

-This Alaska looks like she may be here to stay

-I like the reflective blogs more. Expressing herself and broadcasting less of the events going on around her is a better way to keep people from following her accounts of everything while maintaining the blog.

Small Details
-IDWPDF (5)

Interlude Fourteen: Champions in Their Field (5,943 Words)

-I have never given much thought to Alder, but I think you hit Cynthia pretty well

-The more I learn of your other characters, the more I am confused about Alaska. Every one of the characters that was involved in one of your other wars has been irreparably damaged or altered in some way, yet it took Alaska eighteen (I may be exaggerating) epiphanies to even start down the road

Small Details
-The champion portion, while entertaining, was pointless
-I miss the Buzz and Gideon interludes. They were quick and to the point. Gideon has almost disappeared from the story, which is sad since he is the better villain. I know it makes him more mysterious, but the plot hasn’t really gone anywhere in a while.
-IDWPDF (3)

Last edited:
Chapter Eighty-One: A Dream of Wars Gone By (4,825 Words)

-Your depiction of Latios is very believable
-The fact that Alaska can not even control herself at times in her own head while speaking to the one being she should be able to trust fully hints at bad things in the future for her personality

-With the addition of Dream World and the mention of Distortion World, you continue to build on a very large, interesting, and believable world
-'Hello there, we need to take your daughter with us. We believe she might have to save the world in a few years' time and we'd like to prepare for that'.
—I have wondered that a few times myself

Small Details
-This chapter was…interesting
-IDWPDF (6)

Chapter Eighty-Two: The Rules of Someone Else’s Game (4,648 Words)

-I am excited to meet Blaine
-I don’t think Janine’s personality would lend to her just casually telling Alaska that she had lost to both Damian and Lachlan
-Did Janine love Blue?
-Alaska’s wit came through a little more in this chapter. It has been missing recently
-The reflective chapters finally look like they are having a positive effect on all the characters

-The “I am trying to protect you/them” crap is getting old
-If Red, the most powerful trainer in Kanto, was the first to beat Blaine in three years, how have three people defeated him in the past two years?

Small Details
-Please let Alaska run around with a sword strapped to her back for the rest of the story
-IDWPDF (7)

Chapter Eighty-Three: Look At Me (3,697 Words)

-There is really no reason for Sandy and Alaska to be friends. It seems a little forced at times. This chapter kind of reveals that.

-Butterfeee folding clothes…nice.

Small Details
-I am glad Sandy got Goomy since it was kind of foreshadowed. The potential of Sandy’s team is officially better than Alaska’s
-IDWPDF (4)

Chapter Eighty-Four: The World Keeps Spinning (3,253 Words)

-It is entertaining that now Sandy has no interest in being friends, while Alaska is finally putting some effort into having one.
-Theoretically, Sandy and Alaska have the same level of schooling. Why is Sandy 1000 times smarter than Alaska?

-Please, no aliens. Time-travel, cool. Aliens, no thank you.

Small Details
-Is it odd that I want Chloe to attempt to murder Alaska?
-IDWPDF (7)

Chapter Eighty-Five: A Million Things I Haven’t Done (5,547 Words)

-Wow, Damian is thick
-Teenage angst on full-blast. Boo hoo, get over yourself. You are 13, you don’t know anything yet.

-Aww, I was kind of interested to see where the show was going
—Nice quip about the pink shoes too.

Small Details
-I don’t understand a lot of your references. What does soggy sandwiches sound like?

Chapter Eighty-Six: One with the Wind and Sky (5,886 Words)

-For as many times as they have escaped death, Alaska should always have some random thought of escape
-If you have have future stories with Alaska, she better have severe PTSD

-Parasect was a horribly choice. She is weak to all of Chloe’s Pokémon and the one Pokémon (Arbok) that we know Amanda has. In addition, she is immensely slow and will never catch up.
-I have trouble believing that Lachlan and Damian have six badges a piece since their starters still haven’t fully evolved

Small Details
-What was the monster that appeared?
-So, where we Suicune and Zapdos? Or Articuno? Or Blaine? And all Latios could do was drop an icicle? That could have gone much different/better.
-IDWPDF (2)

Chapter Eighty-Seven: She Had It Coming (4,484 Words)

-Is Alaska wishing now that she hadn’t been told about the prophecy? For her own protection? Bwahaha, irony.
-Blaine pretty much knows everything about Alaska in 10 seconds.

-Damian is not blaming the wrong person. The situation is about 75% Alaska’s fault
-If Ponyta is Blaine’s, she would have been trained well enough not to attack Alaska

Small Details
-Robotic Sunflora killing Red was a fun image
-“Who do you think you're calling pathetic, mate?"
—Blaine didn’t call her pathetic
-And now we have a Shiny, well done.
-IDWPDF (3)

Chapter Eighty-Eight: Walk to the Fire (7,216 Words)

-Is Alaska becoming aware that she is a problem? That is refreshing.
-What I am seeing is that Alaska hasn’t actually changed, she is just keeping her mouth shut better.
-Can one of your characters not swear please?
-Hestia is brilliant
-Glass eyes behind the trademark sunglasses…amazing

-Alaska really takes a talking Pokémon in stride. Is that common?

Small Details
-Great chapter, I have always loved Blaine. Love him more now.
-IDWPDF (6)

Chapter Eighty-Nine: Nobody Will Oppose (6,581 Words)

-Sandy has grown (or changed) far more than Alaska, but in the wrong direction
—Sandy just killed Amanda, Chloe, and probably some crew members and the pilot. Add that to the dude in Silph and her kill count is at 3-7 people. No.

-Sandy could barely reach her bag in the cabin with her feet, but had enough slack to run outside and kick Amanda?
-A doubt a sofa with two teenagers and three Pokémon on it would float

Small Details
-Ahh Barbacle. Curse Alaska’s (and my) ignorance.
-IDWPDF (3)

Blog Fifteen: When I Grow Up (1,647 Words)

-I have said it once, I will repeat it. Kanto has the best WIFI in the universe.

-It wasn't until this week that I actually had a gun shoved in my face
—Umm, no. Gideon had a gun at Pewter and Lavender. Machine guns at Celadon and Saffron. I am probably missing some, but this is a bad lie.
-What mutant Pokémon?

Small Details
-IDWPDF (3)

Interlude Fifteen: Face to the Dawn (7,776 Words)

-Does anyone like anyone else in your world? All I ever read is animosity topped with animosity.
-Is Kris supposed to be a foreshadow of what Alaska will look like one day? An angry, undeserving Champion?
-I am glad I don’t live in that universe, with all the petty, angry, mentally-weak jerks

-How is Meganium not dead?
-I suppose that is the level of insanity a man needs to be successful. Maybe Buzz finally figured it out.

Small Details
-I supposed you semi-tied the last couple of Interludes into this one, but I still feel like the Champion stuff was pointless.
-IDWPDF (4)

Last edited:
MERRY CHRISTMAS. I finished up the story today and this is he final posting. It should count for the Review Game as well as Secret Santa, so thank you. I also included a little Christmas gift for your (check the Spoiler tag). My rendition of Gideon's Porygon. Let me know what you think

upload_2018-12-25_20-5-24.png

Chapter Ninety: How Far We’ll Go

-Blaine worked with Gideon and Giovanni?
-Damian has been in the war for two minutes and is already performing better than Alaska
-And the old Alaska is back, greeeeeeat.

-I would hate to be one of Alaska’s Pokémon

Small Details
-Missingno and Rare Candy, nice adds.
-IDWPDF (3)

Chapter Ninety-One: Another Day

-I repeat, do NOT turn Sandy into Alaska
-Lachlan likes Sandy and is jealous of Damian. I get that.

-You keep using Compound Eyes, but it would be interesting to see some other Abilities with field capabilities
-Why is everyone’s reaction to wild Pokémon, RUN? They have Pokémon. Battle, please.

Small Details
-Your chapters start off well, but they are becoming rather predictable
-All trainers are stupid (Weepinbel and Wartortle could have wrecked Donphan) and all Pokémon are made of glass. That is what I keep reading.
-IDWPDF (2)

Erotic Dream Sequence One: Dawn of Edgyness

-“Oh fuck you, you two dimensional, underdeveloped fuck,” Alaska hissed. “God, I just fucking hate you. You are about as useful as a flaccid dildo. Your personality has all the excitement of buttered toast. I’ve met disused pillow cases with more foresight and knowledge than you. Quite frankly, I hope you die choking on your own cum, and when you do, I am going to rip your skin off and use it as a shawl.”
—This is pretty much how I feel about Alaska, except I have never used such “colorful” language to describe anyone
-Also, is she bi-polar?

-I know Sandy and Alaska have been through a lot, but survival is the single strongest instinct that humanity has. Two children would not start wishing for death so quickly.

Small Details
-Suggestion I have based on Damian’s comment: Make Kalos into Atlantis.
-Never, ever, do that again. And put a warning at the top so people can skip it.

Chapter Ninety-Two: Feel the Burn

-Alaska’s over-the-top insanity aside, you do a good job depicting teenagers. This chapter reminded me why I teach little kids and not upper primary.

-Still amazed by your descriptive abilities
-Alaska grabbed a mane of fire?
-They flew past One Island to check Seven Island? Why?
-It is freezing in the cave on the island, but it is scorching outside?

Small Details
-Even without the Erotic Dream Sequence, your sexual content is getting out of hand. It is unneeded and takes away from the story.

Chapter Ninety-Three: Sandy’s Choice

-Ira is a great character for the situation. Too bad he can’t stick around.
-Sandy is picking up on Lachlan’s verbal clues, but can’t tell he likes her. Cute.
-Damian and I share some thoughts about Latios’ abilities

-Healing machines are bad, but Potions are fine? Both are man-made.
-Where does Ira get take-away in the middle of Six Island?

Small Details
-You are dragging this out way too much. The plot is going nowhere fast and a lot of the recent chapter just seem like pointless filler. Your early arcs (though a little over-packed with action) were at a good pace. You had less chapters, less words, but more content. Now I just slogging through every chapter/arc waiting for something/anything to happen.
-IDWPDF (1)

Interlude Sixteen: Classless

-Refreshing to see that her siblings are exactly like Alaska
-Is it within Emily’s right to call someone else a whore when you established she enjoys sleeping around herself? Sounds a bit hypocritical. Alaska, really.

-Another sex scene? Seriously dude, lay off.
—Seriously, if I have to read another one, I will quit reading
-I know your story is MATURE and I can deal with the swearing (though most of it it pointless) and the innuendos, but you are starting to push it too far. Your “joke” and this interlude were practically porn.
-You could have started the chapter at running practice or in class and it would have been 1000 times better

Small Details
-Another excellent description. Are you a runner?
-IDWPDF (-5)

Chapter Ninety-Four: No Education

-Wow, Damian may be the sanest, most aware character you have written
-Alaska’s character is all over the place, but I am glad that she was able to keep calm in the face of danger this time
-Alaska started swearing long before she started blowing stuff up

-How did Emily come by a Chespin in her youth to now have a Chesnaught? And Ed’s Feraligatr?
-All of the sudden Alaska is an amazing battler?
-I suppose Buzz is super confident in his robots, but attacking a school where a good number of the students are probably competent battlers doesn’t seem like a wise choice.

Small Details
-IDWPDF (4)

Chapter Ninety-Five: No Dark Sarcasm

-The switch to Damian’s view was a tad unexpected and a little confusing.
-Another teenager prepared to die? Not happening.

-Fearow carried two people? One full-grown? I find that unlikely.
-I know I have been a proponent of less action, but you need some action. Everything is reflective, story-telling, and character building. You need to spread these things out, concentrate them early on if anything, not stick them in the middle of battles

Small Details
-Aww another elaborate scheme to kill someone when you should just shoot them. Poor movie villain syndrome.

Chapter Ninety-Six: No Thought Control

-Alaska can’t take a hint that since her Pokémon dislike her, she is really a bad person?
—It is interesting that we know practically everything about Alaska’s life since she turned 5.
-Scar punched Ponyta? I guess I can see that, but does he have Pokémon?
—I, however, can not believe that he is able to fend off Chesnaught. If he was experienced enough to evolve, he can defeat Scar

-How is Alaska walking? She was struggling a couple chapters ago and she keeps re-injuring it.
-Where exactly was Latios that he took so long to arrive?

Small Details
-Does Leaf have long hair? I have been thinking that carving could be her for a while now.
-Your chapters are just too long now. They are being stretched out by the multiple viewpoints, they are wordy, and just too much. I was having trouble following everything too.
-IDWPDF (3)

Chapter Ninety-Seven: No Arms Around Me

-YOU KILLED BUTTERFREE???? She was my favorite character.
-If Sandy is not deeply effected by this….

-This was actually a very solid chapters in pretty much every way. The character reactions were believable, the story was straightforward, ect. I don’t really have too much to say at all.

Small Details
-Nice reversal on the normal knife to a gun fight trope.
-IDWPDF (1)

OVERALL

-TECHNICAL SKILLS-You need some work. I am sure you saw plenty of the corrections I made through the old PDFs. Some of the mistakes you make are repetitive and can easily be fixed, others are just random and easy to make. Most of the mistakes can be fixed with a little extra proofreading. This is the single area you have improved in the most, keep it up.
—Pace is a big issue, but one I can not give you too much advise on. It is extremely difficult to find a good pace. Early on you were throwing waaaay too much action and mystery at us without breaks, but near the middle everything leveled out well and we got a good mix of action, plot, and character building. Late, though, the chapters got longer and more difficult to follow and you lost that pace.

-CHARACTERS-Your characters are good. Obviously you have gotten a lot of complaints about Alaska (from me as well), but she is a good character. She drives the story along, she makes the story interesting, and she is the character that the story needs. The problem with Alaska is that people hate her (this isn’t a character problem, she is just disagreeable). You do an excellent job developing characters in the short span (even with ones barely in the story), but the long-term growth of characters could use some work. My biggest complaint about the characters is the lack of variety. With few exceptions (Sandy at the beginning, Bertram, Hansom, a few others), all of your characters are hard-headed, potty-mouthed, rage monsters. In your own defense, if I lived in such a terrible world, I would probably be pretty screwed up too.

-STORY-The story is great and will keep people coming back. Kanto is a nostalgic place and you put some good twists to it. You have a rich history to the story and you go back to it regularly, but not too much. Your descriptions (as I have said many times) are phenomenal. Occasionally, you will exposition a little, but you place them well in the story so the reader doesn’t get lost. Pacing, again, but that is an extremely difficult skill.

-OTHER-Consistency-Try to be consistent when telling the story. Most of it is just little details that might get overlooked by a casual reader (saying a Pokémon appeared in blue light when it was previously established that they were in a PokéBall), but if you make mistakes when mentioned past events inconsistently, it can confuse the reader
-Believability-It is your story, your world, and your ideas, but try and keep things semi in the world of realism. Scar sparring with Chesnaught, Fearow carrying two people. Little things, but they can be distracting.
-Content-It is a MATURE flick, I get it, but certain content should still be avoided. The guns grew on me (though still not a big fan), the language (though excessive) was realistic-ish, but the sex was uncalled for. Innuendoes are one thing, calling a thirteen year old a whore becomes a little edgy, suggesting that Chloe has been sexually active for a long time begins to push boundaries, the sex scenes are wrong. I understand that one of them was an “April Fool’s Joke,” but the dual sex scenes with Edward and Emily gave nothing to the story and I almost stopped reading immediately and didn’t finish (other people may back me up on this).

-OVERALL-Good writing man, you are good at it. After reading this, I want to dive back into my own writing, but when I have a chance, I may look into some of your other fics. The story has unfolded over a long period of time and improvement has been seen. Good Luck going forward.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-25_20-5-12.png
    upload_2018-12-25_20-5-12.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the reviews and all the effort, @Patrick Haines. You've written a lot that I couldn't possibly get all the way through and respond to, but I'll post summary comments:

Assholes: I will be toning down some of the earlier supporting characters to be more palatable and less stand-offish. It was kind of unintentional at first when it came to Brock and Misty, so as I rewrite they in particular will be reduced. I'll probably use the interludes to balance out some of the other characters to frame things from their perspective more rather than just Alaska's. However, a large part of her reaction does stem from her unwillingness to be forced into this situation going back to issues with her family and Viridian. That doesn't come through as much in those murkier middle arcs, so things will be edited heavily around there.

Interludes/Pacing: Lobbing these two together. Fair points about pacing in recent chapters, and indeed the action overload in the original arcs - that will be edited out heavily. Mt Moon/Cerulean, in particular, will be much calmer and more character focused entries. Recent arcs are less action-focused intentionally to focus on the characters, which is why I am largely happy with the pacing. It is setting things up for the end and showcasing the character's personalities, thoughts and emotions more than putting them through a lot. There is a lot of talking, yes, and a lot of arguing (sorry about that), but these things all add different perspectives and different discussions focused on the characters themselves rather than trying to solve certain mysteries. Things admittedly have altered as the story developed, so certain chapters like Alaska and Sandy's argument at the Celadon Mansion feel more unnecessary now. Individual scenes and chapters will probably be axed or refocused, but from a bigger picture perspective, the arcs as they add different things and I think progress the story a lot.

The same applies to the Interludes. They aren't really meant to be huge, plot-moving chapters. They are asides that expand the world in a similar vein, in my mind at least, to the 'Somewhere in America' chapters from American Gods. Several people feel Kris' elements are unnecessary, but I'm not going to waste my time writing stuff that doesn't add something to the story. There's not really any point to doing that. This story is following a plan that was developed initially back in 2010 and has been growing and morphing since then, and if something's in there, it has a purpose, whether it is a small insight that sparks something else (ie Cynthia's cameo), or a plot that comes into play later (Kris).

Sex Scene/Maturity: There won't be any other sex scenes in the story. The 'Edgy' scene was written with a very specific audience in mind, and after I post this I am going to spoiler it as it isn't canon in any way shape or form. The sex scenes in the Interlude 16 do serve a role, as, again, I wouldn't have written them otherwise, so I won't be cutting them, but I appreciate the feedback and will note for other works. Swearing/guns, I'm not really going to apologise for as they are fairly entrenched parts of popular culture and are allowable under the forum's rules. In saying that, I have toned some of the swearing down without really intending to in the Arc 2 rewrites, so maybe when I get around to the middle chapters things will be less explicit. I'd like to think my vocabulary has grown over the last seven years, but we'll see :p

Descriptions: Glad you liked them!

Sandy: Do you mind expanding your thoughts on her? I feel it would be unrealistic for someone in her position to remain optimistic and hopeful after everything she has been through, but if you have something to add I was keen to see what you meant there.

Realism: Debatable, this one. The conflict with fan fiction is everyone has their own ideas and interpretations, and unless things are explicitly spelt out they can be misinterpreted, or even slammed for altering the canon. You mentioned in one arc review that Pokemon can't die in battles; well, they can in this world. Moltres and the other birds are also much taller than they are in the games, as are various others (I mean, I'm taller than a video game Charizard, and that's just a little fucked in my view XD). I think the best way to read this story, and indeed any other, is in the context of what you have been given. Some of your points were fair and welcome - the Dragon/Fairy immunity point you raised is one I have missed and will keep an eye out for when editing - but if a Pokemon is described as being big enough to carry two people, then they would be able to. I mean, Pidgeot is only 1.5 metres in the games, which would make it a fairly unproductive Pokemon to carry huge portions of the population.

Porygon: Very nice, and incredibly close to the mark as well!

Thanks again for the feedback, especially the PDFs. I will be putting them to good use in the coming weeks while I am off from work. Good luck with your own writing, I will have to return the favour at some point!

@AceTrainer14
SANDY: Ok, I understand your point of how she would have changed after everything she went through, I guess my view of it was that she was trying to imitate Alaska. She started swearing more, trying to blow stuff up, caring less, I was concerned. Her bravery, as seen when she is with Lachlan, def fits that role.

REALISM: I agree with you as well. Where does fantasy meet realism? In the games, somehow a Pidgey can carrying you around, that totally makes sense. The one thing that confused me though (especially since you mentioned Pidgeot) is that Pidgeot couldn't carry two teenagers (Damian, Alaska), but Fearow, who is smaller, carried Amanda and Chloe.

Blog Sixteen: Wish You Weren't Here
Blog Sixteen: Wish You Weren't Here

Greetings,

I come to you this week from a small island in the middle of Sevii. That's right, I've come back after all these years, and it's exactly how I remember: sparkling blue oceans, beautiful sandy beaches, thick black smoke spewing out from the ruins of a school. Just like you see in the movies!

I kid, of course, loyal readers. Yes, if you saw the news yesterday and thought 'Gee, I wonder if Alaska's involved in that?', well, ding-ding-ding, you're a winner! You can take the girl out of Viridian, but you can't take the unintended widespread property damage out of the girl, can you?

I really shouldn't be joking about all this. It hasn't exactly been an easy few days. But that's what humour is for, right? Taking our mind off of things, lightening the mood. Everyone needs to joke, even those who have found themselves thrust into the middle of a war!

The biggest joke in all this is that I've finally ended up back at the Arcethian Academy. Here's a little glimpse at a pre-war Alaska, but for years, I longed to go to that school. For the few minutes I actually spent there before the destruction started, I imagined for the first time in a while what my life would have been like here. It was one my dream, even more than doing the league challenge. This was always my second choice (or so I thought – you know, the giant rock, remember that?)

I know very few of you have ever seen me in person, but can you imagine me as a school student? Sleeping in dorm rooms, eating in some giant hall, wandering through dusty old halls to go to classes. Before you say it, I wasn't a pyromaniac city-leveller before I started this journey, so no, I would not have set the school on fire, thank you very much. I mean, I kind of have now, but, different circumstances, eh?

It's hard to picture, but for a few years, that's what I always wanted. Looking back, I'm not really sure why. My detractors might say it was because they got a Totodile and Chespin as part of their scholarship, and that may have influenced things later, but my desire came before all that. Even before we visited the school, I remember seeing the pamphlets my parents had been sent and instantly falling in love with the notion of this school.

It looked like something out of a fairy tale. Before the fireworks yesterday, it still did. The crimson bricks, the wide fields, the beach and the stadium and the ancient library. I had been through that school a thousand times in my storybooks, and here it was, a real place I could actually visit and walk through and escape to.

Escape. That's probably the keyword here. You see, it was on that trip that the earthquake happened. There we were, trotting carefree off to Sevii, excited for everything we'd discover, assuming everything would stay exactly the way it was while we were away. You wouldn't think any differently, would you? Why would you? Naturally occurring disasters are rare in Kanto. They're just as fantastical as the schools I read about. Well, they were.

Coming home and finding my city, my house, my bedroom, everything in ruins like that, no wonder I wanted to run away. But it was my siblings who got to run (literally – why didn't I get the excellent athleticism genetics?). They only had to suffer through the clean-up for a few weeks before term started. I can still remember seeing them off and how angry and hurt and betrayed I felt that they got to go to that magical school and I had to stay behind in a bedroom that had nearly split in two. I'd be lying if I said I don't still think about that.

But, I suppose it was never meant to be. My destiny was decided long before I set foot on the school grounds, and I guess the same can be said for the twins as well. We were on the same path for the first eight years of my life, and then we split off – them going one way, me another.

Fast forward five years and here we are on the same path again. I mean, I couldn't leave them behind at the school, not after it burnt down like that. Can't let them suffer for my mistake, can I? Though joining this shitshow is probably more of a punishment, now that I think about it…

But even though they are only a few metres from me now, it still feels like we are miles apart. You can tell our journeys have been different. I've arguably been through more than them, but I feel as alienated by them as they do by me. For the last five years, I've only really thought of them as those same teenagers that abandoned me in that town. They've obviously changed in their own ways, but it's hard to put the two images next to each other and pretend they are the same thing.

I can't lie and say we all got along as kids; they were twins, a natural unit that I would never be able to penetrate. Trying to get over those childhood wounds is nearly impossible – my mum and her sister still fight about things that happened forty years ago. And my dad… well, the least said there the better.

Still, I wish it wasn't like this. This war is only going to get worse from here on out, that's the only thing I'm certain of right now. We need support from all those around us if we are going to get through. I shudder when I think of how I've alienated and ignored my family just so I prove, for whatever inane reason, that I can manage this on my own. Clearly, I can't, and I need them more than ever.

Maybe that's the role they have to play in all this. Supporting me, keeping me sane, I don't know. All I do these days is question people's fates. Everyone I meet, I wonder how this interaction is meant to shape us. I'd like to think my family is there to guide me, but that connection has been far darker later. Is being related to me going to get them killed? Is falling on me in a forest going to destroy their life?

To lose someone that close to you, and all the hurt and grief it can cause, that's a pain I can't possibly imagine, though I've come close. Yesterday, I thought my sister was going to die in that fire, and it made me sick to think it would all come back to me. Both twins have lived in bliss far from all of this, and I wish I could have kept them out of it.

But we're all here now, I've got my family with me again, and I hope I never have to see them hurt again. My family are the people I care about the most, and I've already have had to witness them suffer enough because of me. To them, I'm sorry. That word feels meaningless, especially after yesterday, but I am sorry, and I hope that one day you can forgive me.

To everyone else, don't worry about all this. I want you all to have a laugh. It may not seem like the time for it, but who knows what fate has in store for us. Find those you care about, have a laugh, and treasure those moments. Our roles in this means we're suffering so you don't have to. I don't care about me, but for everyone else, don't make their sacrifice worthless. Alright?

Alaska.

Interlude Seventeen: Bricked Up
Well, this has been a while coming. I actually finished this months ago, but was so unhappy with the initial version I didn't think it was up to task of being shared here. In that time, I slowly wrote two other chapters while struggling through work and a litany of other issues. After finishing the most recent chapter, I cast a fresh eye over this and was surprised how quickly the necessary changes came to me. It may not be 100% perfect yet, but I am pleased to finally be posting something here again, and hopefully I won't be a stranger for as long again!

Interlude Seventeen: Bricked Up

"Do you need anything before I go, Miss Large?"

Lucinda Large jumped. For a moment she thought she was imagining things, conjuring up companionship in her giant, lonely office, but when she looked up she saw the shadowed figure of her assistant hovering in the distant doorway.

"Um, no thank you, Marie, that will be all." Lucinda coughed to try and cover up her shock, but she doubted Marie was convinced. Her assistant's blonde-bobbed head twitched in a nod, but she was too far away for Lucinda to read her expression. I'll be the company gossip by tomorrow – sad old Lucinda, holed up in her office all day, jumping every time a Combee farts.

Lucinda watched as Marie shut the door, the tiny click of the lock echoing in the hollow, empty office. It had been hours since Lucinda had looked up from the reports spread across her desk that she hadn't noticed it had got dark; shadows stretched across the room, swallowing what little furniture and decorations there were and leaving a murky void in their place.

She tried to ignore the growing gloom and focus back her work, but the interruption had thrown what little concentration Lucinda had left. The figures spun around as if caught in a whirlpool, nothing going in or standing out, and Lucinda had to admit defeat for another day.

She let her pen drop to the wooden surface, and Lucinda groaned as she leant back into her chair, arching her back and feeling the eight hours she'd spent stuck behind this desk. It would mean more work tomorrow, but that was a problem for her future self. Today, Lucinda was happy to simply spin around and gaze out at Jubilife City.

Her view at this time of day was the one thing Lucinda liked about working late. There was still a hint of sunlight in the sky, an amber glow smeared unevenly over the horizon, but the world was dark enough that the lights of Jubilife had come alive. The fountain a few streets away was already alight like a rainbow, while the Global Trading Station's rampageous display added a fluorescent flourish to the otherwise drab and steel city.

Yet it wasn't the buildings that really held her interest. Staring down at the crowds as they went about their evenings helped keep Lucinda humble. It was a little difficult given that all the office workers, hopeful trainers and struggling students were sixty-five storeys below, leaving them as indistinguishable as Poké Balls rolling through the streets. She had come far in the last three years, but Lucinda remembered what it was like to be an anonymous dot being stared at by those high above her. Part of her still wished she was down there. To be like them again. Happy, relaxed, carefree… oblivious…

Lucinda sighed into the glass. Her eyes drifted upwards, passing over the neighbouring skyscrapers and scanning the skyline for the sunset, but the first thing Lucinda spotted was her own hallowed eyes gazing gauntly back at her. Lucinda wasn't sure if it was the weight loss or the stress that had turned her lids the same darkly translucent colour of oil on a wet road, but they certainly hadn't looked this way three years ago.

Lucinda poked at them and grimaced. Were they this bad at the start of the year? Her recent restlessness wasn't new. She had endured sleepless nights for months after Mount Coronet, requiring a specific mix of drugs and therapy to help her drift through the nightmares.

For a while, Lucinda had thought she was past it. But now there was this drama in Kanto; Team Rocket returning from the grave, robots bursting through the ground, schools on fire, teenage girls having to fight them off. It had reached a point that Lucinda now avoided watching her own network, but the story seemed to be everywhere.

At least it's good for ratings, a voice awfully like her father's suggested, and Lucinda bit back the urge to scream.

"Oh dear, is the pressure finally getting to you?"

Lucinda shrieked. A second ago there had only been her face reflected back at her, but now there was the malevolent smirk of a teenage girl reflected over her shoulder.
Lucinda swivelled around to make sure she wasn't seeing things, and screamed again now that there was no denying it. If Charlotte was bothered by this reaction, she didn't look it, her smile remaining neutral and unfazed as if fixated that way – which, now that Lucinda considered it, was highly likely.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

Charlotte gasped. "My, my, do you speak to all your visitors this way?"

"All my other visitors make a booking!" Lucinda snapped.

"Fair, but your father and I always had a rather lax open door policy," Charlotte said. She remained seated on the edge of the desk, shining golden as the sunset beamed through her translucent body, and she started to look around. "I must say, I liked what you've done with the place. It's very… you…"

Lucinda followed Charlotte's eyes around the sapphire walls and metallic grey carpet. "What? Dull and uninspired?"

Charlotte turned around with a glint in her eye. "Your words, darling, not mine."

"Hilarious. If you've come to insult me, I'm really not in the mood tonight. I've had a hard day, and –"

"Oh, poor you. Such a hard life, isn't it, making millions every few minutes. What a burden!" Charlotte raised a hand to her head and dramatically slumped forwards across the papers, her ghostly hair pooling into Lucinda's lap. "You're a true martyr, did you know that?"

"Alright, that's it, get out!"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" Charlotte shot upwards onto her feet in one swift, unnatural movement. She raised her hands in surrender and slinked away from the desk. "I haven't come to be annoying, I swear. I could feel your anguish from Unova, and I thought you might need someone to talk to. Master knows your father needed it."

The hairs on the back of Lucinda's neck stood on end. She hardly knew Charlotte, they had only met a few times and that had been three years ago. Yet this strange dead girl, whatever she was, had known Lucinda's father better than anyone. He trusted her, right until the very end…

"What are you doing in Unova?" Lucinda mumbled after a lengthy pause.

"Preparing."

"Fuck me." Lucinda sank into her chair, wishing she could melt into the leather. "You mean it's not going to end in Kanto?"

Charlotte smiled as she shook her head, but the glint in her eye had long vanished. "It never ends, until the whole thing does. You know, your father always offered me a drink," she said suddenly.

"My father never offered you a drink, you helped yourself, and there's nothing stopping you now."

Charlotte shrugged. "If you insist," she said sniffily, and she wiggled her fingers. A glass of ochre liquid appeared in her grip, and Charlotte beamed over the rim as she downed it in one.
"Oooooh, yes, the '69. A personal favourite, for obvious reasons." Charlotte paused long enough to make sure Lucinda caught her wink. "I'm glad this one survived the implosion."

"It's a different bottle," Lucinda said blankly. "I bought it last year. As a tribute. To him."

Charlotte held her tongue here, which Lucinda appreciated. She did not want to dwell on the events that led to her father's death, something that was hard to ignore given that that chaotic night had also handed her this job and this vast, if hastily rebuilt, office. Lucinda often felt his spirit lingering as she sat in the same spot he'd occupied for some many decades. It was hard to ignore his shadow when his name was emblazoned on every pen, paper and paperclip that passed under her nose.

And now here was Charlotte. Lucinda could only imagine the things she could tell her about Arnold Adiem. It had taken nearly three decades of her life to learn why her father had been so cold and distant, and he was taken from her before she could really tap into the truth. Of the little Lucinda did know, Charlotte had been Arnold's co-conspirator, plotting and scheming together to try and protect the world.

If only he had actually succeeded. Lucinda supposed that Arnold had, for a few years, at least. They stopped Team Galactic and prevented the end of the universe, though that had gone right up to the wire. After witnessing first hand the toll that fight had taken, Lucinda had thought they were done. She only had to glance at the news to see how wrong that assumption was.

Charlotte spoke as if she could read her thoughts. "How long has Kanto been keeping you up at night?"

"Too long." Lucinda brushed the reports to one side and found the rundown she was given every night before the evening bulletins. The top story for the third day in a row was the mysterious robots that had burst through the streets of Saffron City. Lucinda had sat in this very chair two nights ago when she called Samson Silph to offer her thoughts, only to be told he had died. She had gone to sleep that night imagining his distorted, screaming face as he plummeted to the earth, Lucinda falling not far behind.

"It feels like all the hell we went through three years ago is starting up again," Lucinda said, talking to the paper rather than Charlotte. "These viruses always start in Kanto and bleed out to the rest of the world. Please tell me it's not going to be as bad as last time."

The question hung in the air for over a minute before Lucinda realised Charlotte hadn't answered. She put the sheet down and glanced up, and the sight filled her with dread; Charlotte sat hunched over on the edge of the desk, staring wistfully at the sunset as the glass sat limply in her hands.

"I can't. I have no idea." Charlotte clicked her fingers and the glass refilled, this time to the brim, and she took a long, slow gulp before carrying on. "For two thousand years I was convinced the world would end with Cyrus. That was as far as my visions took me, because that's where the continuum ended. It basically rebooted after Cyrus was defeated, but I wasn't granted anything beyond Mount Coronet."

"Nothing at all? You just said that Unova –"

"I lied." Charlotte finally looked back at Lucinda and laughed. "You should see your face right now, it's brilliant. So offended, like a little child."

"Why were you there, then?" Lucinda continued, ignoring the interruption.

Charlotte shrugged, a casual dismissal that betrayed her physical age. "I thought I might find some answers there. A path I haven't considered before. Anything to stop history from repeating itself, I suppose," she added with a hint of a smile.

It dawned on Lucinda then why Charlotte was here. This girl had lived through more pain and conflict than anyone else in mankind, the ultimate veteran of all there had ever been. If Lucinda's anguish could be heard from hundreds of thousands of miles away, she dreaded to imagine the cacophony Charlotte's emotions created.

"I hope you don't plan on drinking all of that."

Charlotte grinned and clicked her fingers. A heavy glass rammed into Lucinda's chest, slowly filling with the musky, cocoa-coloured liquid. "Cheers."

"Cheers," Lucinda parroted, and the two clinked their glasses. The noise echoed soft and sombre through the sparsity of the office, and it lingered as the two sat in silence, mulling their thoughts over their drinks.

As the minutes dragged on, Lucinda found herself unable to take her eyes off Charlotte. This was the first time she had seen her since inheriting the job, but Lucinda had often wondered how she'd react if she found herself in this situation. She had long hoped that inheriting her father's job didn't mean inheriting his ghosts as well, but now that Charlotte was here, Lucinda felt compelled to embrace the idiosyncrasy of the situation. Had her father treated these moments as a confessional or a therapy session, or were they moments to plot and scheme and influence the world? I don't want any of those options, but certainly not that. I don't… I can't…

Before Lucinda even realised what she was saying, she found words pouring out of her mouth, thoughts and ideas that had been part of her for months now, but only now, in Charlotte's lofty, all-knowing presence, did it feel right to articulate them.

"I've been struggling since I started this job, not because of anything to do with the business, but because of Dad. He took on this… job, whatever you call it, with you, and that was his entire life, more than any of this. I've been afraid ever since then that I'm going to have to go down that path, and it terrifies me because I have no idea what I can do to stop all of this."
Lucinda could hear her voice shaking, but she refused to stop. "I tried my best three years ago, and I barely got out of that fight alive. People I loved died trying to stop Cyrus. Trainers far stronger than me died. So many Pokémon… I mean, Red's team is meant to be the best in the world, and his Onix…"

Something cold passed through Lucinda's shoulder, and she shivered even though she knew it was Charlotte's hand. She eyed the faint, almost invisible fingers as they rested on her overpriced suit, and Lucinda felt compelled to place her own hand on top, to hold that freezing grip where it was and stop it from abandoning her.

"If it makes you feel better, there's nothing you can do," Charlotte whispered.

Lucinda sniggered despite herself. "That's supposed to make me feel better?"

"It should." Charlotte's hand phased through Lucinda's, and the girl drifted towards the window until her brow was touching the glass. "There is nothing you or I or any of those people down there can do. There is a select cast of players in this game, and it is up to those people to determine what happens next."

"That's… that's bullshit. What about my father, what about all he –"

"That was different," Charlotte snapped. Her harshness seemed to surprise her, as she paused for a moment to gather herself. "Arnold was supposed to be involved. His fate dictated it."

"Fate?" Lucinda scoffed. She had heard tales about prophecies and premonitions, but they had always struck her as fantasy. "Are you saying the universe is stopping me from stopping the world from ending?"

Charlotte's reflection turned scornful. "It's not as simplistic as that. All of us – me, you, your secretary, those people down there – we're going down our own little paths in life unaware what lies ahead or how long our journeys go on for. For most, their lives are uneventful in the grand scheme of humankind, but for a tiny minority, our actions and choices and experiences propel us towards something beyond an ordinary existence.

"Some walk into it blindly, but others get nudged one way or the other. That is what's happening in Kanto right now. It's what happened to your father. Arnold got a glimpse of his destiny, and he openly embraced the existence he'd one day have. He ensured his path could not be altered, no matter how much he tried to interfere."

Lucinda shut her eyes, trying to take it all in, and found herself back in this office three years prior, rewatching her father's final minutes. The storm. Vanessa. Allison. Was that all pre-determined?

"And so you're saying…" Lucinda started, trying to distract her memory. "You're saying that this... this acceptance of fate is happening in Kanto?"

"Precisely." Charlotte said it slowly, drawing the syllables out like a funeral march. "This fight has already chosen its warriors, and they have accepted that and will battle as they see fit. Everyone down there will simply carry on regardless, most entirely oblivious anything is even happening."

Lucinda wanted to say something but words failed her. She had too many questions to ask and every answer would be painful than the last. Her throat had gone dry, and she could feel her muscles tensing as if constricted by wires. She tried to block it all out, tried to push the dark thoughts away, but every time she shut her eyes, there was her father, dripping wet with blood smeared down his face, silently pleading for her help.

"No. No, no, no." Lucinda leapt up so quickly her chair tipped backwards and smacked against the glass. The vibration seemed to jolt Charlotte more than her shouting did, but she hardly even glanced at the upturned furniture before Lucinda was in her face. "I refuse to accept any of that."

"Accept or deny, it doesn't change the truth."

"Bullshit!" Lucinda hissed. "You can change things. You have all these powers, use them."

"I can't," Charlotte growled.

"Of course you can. Use your gifts. Teleport someone somewhere. Set them on fire. Show them the future. Do something!"

"STOP IT!" Charlotte waved her arm violently, and Lucinda grunted as she was psychically thrown back into her desk. She winced as the hard edges dug into her back, but if Charlotte noticed her pain, she didn't care.
"Don't you think I want to?" she snapped, sliding in such a way that the room would surely be shaking if she was on the ground. "All these years, I knew everything that was coming, but could I ever interfere? No. I saw every path, I saw where they all led, and I was meant to sit back and let it unfold. I knew the world was going to end, and I could do nothing more than point someone in the right direction, and even then that came back to haunt me. I can't change the future, Lucinda, and neither can you."

Charlotte turned and walked back towards the glass. Lucinda tensed, expecting her to shatter it in her rage, but Charlotte simply stepped through the window as if it was mist and carried on into the sky.

"That was before Coronet!" Lucinda shouted, no clue Charlotte could even hear her. "If the world could come back from what you witnessed, then that means fate is malleable." She ran up to the window and banged on the pane, watching as Charlotte faded into the final vapours of sunlight. "You said before you don't know what's going to happen. How do you know now isn't your time to do something!"

For a moment, Lucinda wasn't sure if Charlotte had stopped moving or simply vanished altogether; night was seeping into the world, and what could have been Charlotte's hair caught in the wind could just as easily as being a smear on the glass exposed by the darkness.

Then, just as Lucinda was giving up hope, Charlotte turned. It was hard to tell what her blank if wide-eyed expression meant, but it was impossible to miss the briefest of winks Charlotte threw Lucinda's way. And for a moment before she vanished for certain, Lucinda was sure she saw her smile.

Alone again. Lucinda could feel the emptiness of her office behind her more than ever. She knew she had to go home at some point, but she dreading turning to face the bleak, blank space after the last ten minutes, the same hollowness her father had dwelled in for far too long.

Instead, she peered down at the city. The streetlights had turned on, illuminating the last few office workers making their way home, mingled in with the carefree and innocent heading out for a night on the town. The fountain sparkled, the trading station shone, and everything seemed to be at peace.

It was beautiful and depressing all at once, but a few years ago, Lucinda never thought she would be able to see this scene again. No one had, but the city and the country had found a way to repair.

There's always a chance, Lucinda thought, and she moved towards her door, deciding that, for tonight at least, she was going to hope for the best.

The only light in the room came from the television. The bulky, outdated machine sat in the centre of the room, currently alight with the grainy images of a game show reaching its conclusion. As the crowd cheered for the lucky winner, a slight hum from behind the screen penetrated the crackly applause.

It was hardly an ideal vessel, but given Buzz's current situation, it was better than nothing.

His eyes had not moved off the screen for hours. He had left his SilPhone back in the ruins of his office, along with any other devices they could have used to track him. It was a necessary safety precaution, but it meant that Buzz was without access to the internet. He had been waiting for Scar to get in touch, but hours had ticked by since his last update and the radio silence was doing Buzz's head in.

The assault on the Arcethian Academy was his final play. If that had failed, Buzz had no idea what to do next. Amanda's betrayal had left him astray and exposed, his plans shattered and worthless. He may have an army, but Buzz had no method of implementing it, at least not in the way he had envisioned for so long. It would be easy to declare all-out war on Kanto, but then it would just as easy for the gym leaders and elites to take him down.

If Alaska was dead, though, Buzz still had options. He'd turned the television on sometime this morning and had refused to move, waiting for the news alert to announce what had happened. Infomercials bled into chat shows that gave way to soap operas and old sitcoms. Buzz had no idea how much time had passed; the curtains had been closed when he arrived, and the thick fabric succeeded in letting nothing in. It could be lunchtime or midnight or still pre-dawn for all Buzz knew. The television certainly wasn't giving him anything, and it was starting to get on his nerves.

The credits for the game show faded to black, and were almost immediately replaced with a dazzling flash of blue. In the darkened room, the glare was blinding; Buzz squinted and sank back into the couch, feeling the aged springs digging into his legs. The whole room seemed to glow, the normally white walls awash with an artificial navy, while the many photos lining the wall all shone, giving the impression of a dozen screens suddenly transplanted onto the walls.

Then, it started. A logo filled the screen – a chunky white '1' in the middle of a circle like a sniper's scope – for barely a second before the camera began to zoom in on two people sitting at an oversized desk. Buzz grinned at the pair as if they were old friends, and he sat forward, waiting for them to begin.

"Good evening," the male half of the pair began. "This is 1Kanto News. Our top story tonight – the reconstruction of Vermilion Port has faced further setbacks today, after an engineer's report exposed structural deficiencies that may see it shut for years. Mary Masters has this exclusive story."

"What the fuck?" Buzz leapt to his feet and ran to the television before he even knew what he was doing. He smashed his fist against the plastic casing, trying to knock some sense into this brainless bulletin. The port, their leading with the fucking port? What about the robots that fell from the sky, you fucking imbeciles? What about them!

"Remote. I need the remote." Buzz turned feverishly to the couch but it wasn't there. His breathing became more rapid and pitched as he lunged towards the sofa and flung the sagging cushions aside, upending the side table in the process. "Remote… WHERE'S THE REMOTE!"

"What on earth are you shouting about, Franklin?"

Buzz sat up straight. He had forgotten all about her. Easy, when she had likely forgotten about him. What had she been doing all day while he'd sat in front of the screen? "It's not Franklin, ma, it's… it's Basil."

"Oh, of course, silly me. Are you trying to watch your cartoons?"

Buzz turned as the creaking floorboards announced her arrival. Under the harsh glow of the television, his mother looked more gaunt and ghostly than ever. The lines of her crevassed face were exposed in the shadows, and those vacant eyes were lit up like one of his robots. She was wearing the same nightgown she'd had on when Buzz had arrived yesterday, and the smell that followed her into the room suggested she'd had it on for some time.

"No, ma, I'm just trying to find a different channel to watch the news on."

"The news? Why are you watching that for?" She chuckled to herself and shook her head exasperatedly. "Got a report due tomorrow, is that's what's up?"
Buzz struggled not to scream. "Sure, ma, whatever you say."

"Well, stop watching your cartoons and get working then!" she snapped with sudden severity. "Always watching that bloody box. I should turn it off and take away the remote, that's what I should do. Should have done it ages ago. You hearing me, Franklin?"

"Franklin died, ma. It's Basil, your second son. Remember?" Buzz fired back bitterly. He stood to full height and loomed over his mother, or at least this shrunken, shrivelled version of her that reeked of piss and shit. "Remember how your golden child ran off to fight in the war, only to get himself killed? Remember that, ma, or are you too far down the fucking rabbit hole to remember your own name?"

There was a second where Buzz had no idea how she would react. She wore the same stern expression she had assumed a minute earlier, but that said nothing for her state of mind; there was fire in her eyes, but what was going on behind there, not even Arceus would know.

"Basil, do you want some breakfast? I'm in the mood for eggs." She blinked and turned back to the television. "This isn't your usual cartoon, is it?"

Buzz could imagine cracking her head open and spilling her worthless, malfunctioning brain over the carpet, putting her out of her misery. Yet it was a misery she deserved, and soon she wouldn't be his problem any longer. "Eggs would be wonderful, ma," Buzz said as he turned away and sank back onto the couch.

"Wonderful, wonderful," his mother murmured, and she shuffled awkwardly back to the kitchen.

Buzz held his breath as she passed, not wanting to breathe in any of the fumes oozing out from her. He hated being back here, but it was his only choice. He and Amanda had arranged a safe house long before this had all started, but with her having gone rogue, Buzz couldn't risk going there. Someone had once told him family was all you could depend on when all else failed, and it pained him how true that had turned out.

How long he would be trapped here, Buzz had no idea. The bulletin was on to their fourth story now, and there had been no mention of the Arcethian Academy yet. Something had clearly gone wrong, Buzz couldn't bear to imagine what, and now his plans were dashed. His public identity was blown, his ally had betrayed him, his work had been exposed, and his groin still hurt when he moved. The weight of his failure was suffocating, and Buzz wished the couch would swallow him whole and end this misery.

"Meanwhile, in the Sevii Islands, authorities are still investigating the cause of the fire that has ravaged the Arcethian Academy."

Buzz sat up. The female newsreader was talking now, though her face was only in the frame for a few seconds before the image changed to a burnt-out classroom. Her voice carried on over the top as the camera panned to show blackened walls pockmarked with gaping holes. "No students were injured in the blaze, which broke out yesterday afternoon during lunchtime, but large parts of the historic building and the school grounds were damaged in the fire. Investigators believe a gas leak in a science room started the inferno."

The image cut back to the newsroom, this time focusing on both newsreaders. The pair were grinning like identical twins, while a close up of an immature Growlithe filled the screen behind them. "That wasn't the only fire emergency that rescue services had to deal with yesterday. In Lavender Town, one scampy young Growlithe had to be saved after climbing to the top of the Radio Tower. Ollie O'Brien has more."

"No, go back." Buzz stood up again, even though his body was shaking uncontrollably. "Go back, you didn't finish the other story. It wasn't a gas leak, it was me, ME! GO BACK, GO BACK YOU BASTARDS!"

"Basil, what are you shouting about?"

"THEY DIDN'T CREDIT ME!" Buzz screamed, his eyes locked on the television. "THOSE BASTARDS ARE TRYING TO PRETEND IT WASN'T ME. I DESTROYED THAT SCHOOL AND THEY DON'T WANT ANYONE TO KNOW IT!"

"Calm down, Basil," his mother said thunderously. "There is no need for you to shout about some nonsense at school."

Buzz screamed through clenched teeth. "This isn't about school, you moronic bint, this is about them trying to take away credit that belongs to ME! I spent years on this, and these fucking arseholes do not even have the decency to admit who tried to destroy them! The bastards are trying to rewrite history!"

He didn't see the hand coming. It had been years since his mother had last slapped him, but the feeling as Buzz stumbled over was all too familiar. That powerful crack had only strengthened since she'd lost all the weight, her palm now like jagged glass, and Buzz could taste a metallic tinge in his mouth.

"Such a tongue!" his mother snarled. "I didn't raise you to use language like that, and I didn't raise you to just whine and moan whenever something doesn't go your way! If you're being bullied, fight back for goodness sake! Honestly, you are lucky your father isn't here to see you whimpering on the floor, or he'd snap some sense into you."

"That's because he's FUCKING DEAD!"

"Don't talk such utter nonsense." His mother stepped forward as though about to say something else, but a high pitched shriek from the kitchen interrupted her. "That's the smoke detector – have you been cooking, Franklin? I told you not to make anything unsupervised!"

Buzz screamed into the empty room as his mother hobbled away to tend to whatever she'd burnt in the kitchen. He turned to the screen, eyes blinded by whatever garish commercial was currently playing, and longed to put his fist through the screen.

Instead, Buzz slumped back on the couch, rubbing his rapidly swelling jaw. His mother was right about one thing; if his father had been the one swinging his arms around, Buzz would be tending to more than just a bruise tomorrow. How the fuck have I ended up back here?

He could imagine his father towering over him as he often had, thick, square head red with rage, veins popping out in places where you didn't know veins existed. Of course they destroyed your little toys, Frank Bolton Sr. would be roaring. What are you going to do about it? Nothing! You're just a pathetic little shit, letting the whole world walk right over you, aren't you? Answer me! AREN'T YOU!

"NO!" Buzz winced as his jaw pinged, but he clung onto the pain. He had endured enough of it over the years he should have built up a thicker skin than this. His whole life had been nothing but setbacks, always coming in last place and never being able to move up the ranks.

Yet where were they all now? His father and brother were dead, his mother had lost her mind, even Giovanni hadn't been able to defeat Red. Buzz was still alive, he still had a fighting chance, and he wasn't going to give up yet.

You've spent years planning this. You've spent months making sure we got as far as today. Are you really going to throw it away in just a few minutes?

"No, you old bastard, no I'm not." Buzz smiled to himself, and for a few moments managed to laugh. "There's no place like home, is there, ma?"

"What are you going on about now?"

"Nothing! Absolutely nothing." Buzz chuckled as he collapsed back onto the couch. He might as well have some eggs while he was here. For when tomorrow comes around, he's going to need all the energy he can muster.

Chapter Ninety Eight: The Morning After
Chapter Ninety Eight: The Morning After

Alaska woke to the sound of screaming.

She sat up with such speed her head slammed against the bed above. Her barely-awake vision blurred from the jolt, but Alaska winced and persevered. Someone on the boat was clearly in more pain than she was, she didn't have time to feel sorry for herself. She hobbled to her feet as fast as her aching body could manage, and Alaska stumbled towards the door, trying to work out where the shout was coming for.

It was only as her she clutched at the door-knob that Alaska hesitated. There was something odd about the scream; how close it felt, how unbroken the sound seemed to be. The sound was constant, unwavering. No person or Pokémon could hold a note for this.

The longer Alaska stood there, thinking, listening, the clearer it became. It was not one voice screaming out for help; there were at least a dozen, maybe more, all fighting one another to be heard without even realising it, yet all just as loud and unwelcome as the next.

Alaska slumped against the door. Her adrenaline had faded and fatigue swallowed her whole. It was not simply the voices in her head that had hit her; every ache, cut and graze she'd gathered yesterday had decided to make themselves heard. Worst of all was her leg, stiff and uncomfortable in the thick, boot-like brace they'd put her in. It looked like she was wearing a tiny coffin on one foot, and Alaska wished it was bigger.

Whatever painkillers they'd loaded her with last night were as distant of a memory as the sleep itself. Alaska's body felt stiff yet electric with pain, small sparks fizzing away beneath enough stitches and bandages to make her resemble a patchwork quilt.

Yet Alaska relished their presence. She honed in on each wound, trying to remember how she had earned it, running the scene over in her head. Anything to push the voices away, to let her slip away back into her empty dreams where at least it was simply her own misery, anxiety, guilt and anguish she had to endure.

Sleep was all Alaska desired, but she knew she'd never pass out with these uninvited guests inside her head. They'd have to have more of those pills, surely, she thought, and finally finished turning the knob, mind now wandering as it tried to remember where the infirmary was.

Yet Alaska opened the door to find someone standing in her way. She stumbled backwards and took all her willpower not to scream. The man, shaved head tucked beneath a beret, thick-set body tightly wrapped in a highly starched uniform, mirrored her shock.

"How long have you been standing there?" Alaska whispered angrily, though anger gave way to worry as she heard how coarse and quiet her voice was.

"Only a few seconds, ma'am," the man replied, keeping his deep voice low. "Miss Oak sent me to wake you, she wishes you to join her in the conference room."

Alaska wanted to groan but, with the military man's dark eyes watching her intently, she decided against it. "I'll be there in a minute," she said and went to close the door. "And next time don't sneak up on people," she added, and shut the door on his confused face.

He wasn't sneaking, a defiant voice that was distinctly her own, protested. You just can't siphon through all these voices yet. If you're going to be this easily confused, imagine what it'll be like when you get to the next city?

"I know, shut up!" Alaska snapped, angrily pulling her bag open. Her clothes had been taken away while she was being patched up, but it had been so long since she'd changed properly she had no idea where her spare clothes were. She tried to sift through all her jumbled belongings as quietly as possible, but the din inside her head seemed to be getting louder with each passing second. All she could hear were people wondering about breakfast, people going to the bathroom, people thinking about the mission, people thinking about yesterday, people thinking about her, people thinking she was unstable –

"Will you all shut up!" Alaska hissed to the world, dropping her bag to the ground with such force she hoped it had left a dent.

A murmur grumbled behind her. Alaska seized up. For a second, the voices all seemed to disappear, and Alaska was alone with only a sudden, all-consuming feeling of guilt for company. The murmur came again, and Alaska turned cautiously as if any sudden movements might stir Sandy from her sleep.

Yet she was clearly too far gone to notice anything in the real world. Alaska remembered vividly the pain she'd felt watching the nurses tend to Sandy last night; they'd had to shout to be heard above her tears. They'd tried to treat her for a half hour that never seemed to end before relenting to Alaska's pleas and letting their Musharna intervene.

"She won't wake up for a while yet," a nurse had reassured Alaska as a Chansey carried Sandy away. "It's for the best, after what she's been through."

Alaska watched her sleep now; blonde hair draped half over her face and half over the mattress, dangling down beside her right arm. If it wasn't for the bandages on her arms she could have looked angelic. Alaska would accept peaceful as a consolation prize.

Carefully now, she picked her bag up and searched again for her clothes. When she finally found them, Alaska dressed as quietly as possible before slipping out the door. She knew she should be there when Sandy woke up, but as Alaska pulled the door shut, the voices returned as though the walls of her cabin had been holding them back. Her head started to throb, and Alaska bit her lips to hold back the pain. She should be there, she had to be there, but Alaska could only endure so much pain at once.

Despite the boat's relative smallness, it still took Alaska a while to find the right room. Every door on the Defence Force frigate looked the same – metallic blue with a number stencilled at average eye-height – and there were no signs pointing her in the right direction, despite the tightly criss-crossed maze of hallways. Alaska lumbered through the hallways with her leg dragging behind, her fatigue building with each passing second as she searched for the mysterious conference room.

Her one guide was also her punishment; Alaska scanned the thoughts drifting through her mind, searching for one that might guide her down the right path. There was a thick congregation of silent murmurings coming from the second floor, getting louder and clearer the closer Alaska got. When there was a cacophony loud enough that Alaska thought her brain might start bleeding, she knew she'd found the right room.

The door opened and Alaska was hit with a wall of heat. The windowless space was the same size as her room, yet instead of a bunkbed shoved against a wall, there were five people crammed around a steel table. It reminded Alaska of the old war rooms they used to feature in movies, but her father's classics had never seemed quite so claustrophobic.

"I see you finally woke up," Janine said, gesturing to the empty chair beside her.

"What can I say, yesterday was a long day," Alaska shot back casuistically as she closed the door. "With all the pills they put me on to soothe the burns, the busted leg, the back pain, the –"

"I'm sure that was leading someway acerbic and witty but we don't have time for sass today." Leaf smiled thinly at Alaska before gazing at the chair as well. Alaska took the hint and gratefully collapsed into it. She was crammed next to a woman from the Defence Force she'd met last night – Carol? Cathy? Caractus? – while Damian looked out of place sitting opposite. The true surprise though was Looker; it took Alaska a moment to recognise him, hunched in the shadows beside Leaf. He seemed more worn out than he had last time, and he stared into the middle distance as if clueless to where he was.

Before she could acknowledge his presence, Leaf tapped at a black cube that sat in the middle of the table. A blue light blinked into life, and a moment later a holographic map hovered between the group.

"I've spent all of last night comparing information with the International Police and the Defence Force, yet unfortunately, we all appear to be on the same blank page." Leaf pointed at a section in the middle and the map zoomed in on Saffron City. "Four days ago, the robots broke out of Silph Co and went dark on their way to the Sevii Islands."

An army of robots… I am never going to get over that. Damian stared not at the map but the table, his arms were rigidly held against his side. Alaska didn't need to read his mind to tell he wanted to slump against the table and sleep as much as she did.

"We've recovered the shells of at least thirty seven of these machines, but from the stockroom what Alaska and Looker saw a month ago, we expect there are around two hundred more minimum missing, if not more," Leaf continued.

Janine raised an eyebrow. "How do we know they didn't crash into the ocean?"

"We suspect a robotic Ursaring or Mudsdale would have attracted some attention by now, but we do have the coastguard on the alert." Leaf tapped the map so that it changed to show the Trainer Tower. "While we don't know how much personnel Buzz has working for him, we have captured the dozen people loyal to Amanda and are currently interrogating them. From what we've gathered, they were a small squadron part of a slightly larger team, but we don't believe Buzz has a human army alongside his robotic one."

"We're talking one hundred people maximum, and it's likely less than that otherwise more of them would have joined in the Arcethian attack," Looker added. He cast his eyes around the group before settling on Alaska; he did not smile but it was clearly his way of greeting her. Alaska stoically nodded back.

"As for Gideon, we have zero leads." Leaf paused fleetingly to glance towards Alaska, who stubbornly stared through her gaze; she deserved no sympathy, it wasn't her Pokémon that died. "We still have a team searching the tower for more folders, but so far that one bathroom seems to be the only storage space he used."

So Sandy could have run into any other bathroom on any other floor and Butterfree would have been fine, is that what you're saying?

"So where does that leave us?"

Alaska had not heard the Defence Force woman speak, only her thoughts drifting through the air, so she was surprised by how deep and gravelly her voice was. She had cropped black hair and thick jaw, giving her the appearance of a teenage boy who worked out too often.

"I have the military might of Kanto and Johto mobilising preparing for any strike, but we can't do anything if we don't know where they are going."

"I understand your position, Carmel, and believe me when I say we are doing everything in our power to work out what these groups are up to." Leaf pulled a strained smile that did little to mask her tiredness or irritation. "We have International Police agents scouring the entire planet trying to find Gideon and Buzz, we have researchers going through all the old Rocket files to see if we've missed something, and basically every satellite, security camera, drone, and phone camera is being monitored for signs of the robots."

"Phone camera?" Damian asked, eyes widening. "You mean we're being watched whi –"

"What we've learnt in the last few days adds little to what we already knew," Looker said, ignoring Damian. "Buzz wants to use these robots to destroy the League, and Gideon is doing who knows what somewhere out there. What has changed is that Buzz's scheme has collapsed and he has gone rogue; whether that means he has abandoned, revised or intends to carry out his plans as is remains to be seen."

"So constant vigilance as always?" Carmel asked.

"As always," Looker repeated.

The room fell silent. Several beats passed without anyone saying anything; Alaska hesitated, waiting for someone to speak, but she didn't need to read their minds to tell that wasn't coming.

"What next?" she asked finally.

Janine raised an eyebrow on behalf of the room. "Do you want to elaborate on that one?"

Don't tempt me, bitch, I can find out what you're afraid of. Alaska paused, breathing slowly before carrying on. "I mean what are we going to do next? How are we going to find them?"

"There is no 'we' in this situation," Looker said simply. "You won't be doing anything."

Alaska felt like her legs had just been swept out from under her. Her eyes flickered between Looker, Leaf and Janine, but there was nothing in their heads to contradict this statement. "Do you want to elaborate on that?" she retorted icily.

"It means you going to carry on with your journey for the foreseeable future. Cinnabar Island is about a day away, we can drop you off there and arrange for a boat to take you to Pewter afterwards. Or Teleport, if you prefer," Looker added.

"I'm sorry, but I thought there was a prophecy – a prophecy, I might add, that a week ago you were all following as if it was the rule of the land – that says I am supposed to be fighting this good fight, and now you want me to disappear for a few days?"

She paused as Janine suddenly sank forwards and rapped her head against the table. "Can we go one day without talking about bloody prophecies?" she groaned into the metal.

"Alaska, there isn't a lot any of us can do right now, let alone you or Sandy," Leaf said, smiling sanguinely. "We can't send you gallivanting around the world trying to find Buzz and Gideon, not with your injuries." Her eyes scanned every bandage that currently covered Alaska's body, and Alaska could feel the condensation rising from the back of the gym leader's mind.

"You forget who is now in possession of a –"

" – a legendary," Leaf interrupted. "Red and I have six combined, and that hasn't stopped Giovanni, Archer, Cyrus, and every other maniac out there from trying to kill us. If anything, it makes us more of a target. If Gideon hears you have Latios on your side, that may be what pushes him to finally act."

So maybe leave that one out of your next blog post.

Alaska glowered at Janine but fought back the urge to call her out. She didn't want to start a fight with her, or anyone for that matter. All Alaska wanted was to crawl back into bed and pretend the last few days hadn't happened. They had, though, and she couldn't ignore that. Not after what it had cost.

"I feel I should be part of this fight. Isn't that what you've wanted from me from the very start?" Alaska knew she would sound pathetic and tired, which is admittedly how she felt, but part of her hoped that pleading might just be enough to win them over.

Leaf sighed. "There's nothing for you to fight at the moment. Buzz is likely re-grouping, Gideon is still doing whatever he can. You are welcome to go to the Indigo League and wait there, but you may be there a while."

Alaska would have happily left it there. Walking through this boat had been enough to sap all her energy. She couldn't fight a Caterpie at the moment, let alone another robot. She could have happily left it there, but as her eyes remained fixated on Leaf's, the gym leader's voice exasperatedly echoed inside her head. We need you out in the world, can't you see that? They'll find you before you have any chance of finding them.

"What, am I supposed to be a pawn? Is that all I am to you?"

The energy in the room suddenly turned tense. "Alaska, what are you talking about?" Leaf asked.

"Don't pretend you don't know." Alaska leapt to her feet, ignoring the pain in her leg, and lunged forwards. She sent the box flying, and Damian yelped as it shattered against the wall. "You don't know what they are up to, so you need me out there to lure them out, is that it?"

"Alaska, you're being hysterical," Leaf said, tone warning, but her thoughts took a different path. What the hell is this, is she reading my mind now? Wait, Latios…

"Yeah, Latios," Alaska snapped, and smirked as Leaf's eyes widened in shock. "Imagine if I'd had this power earlier, who knows what lies I might have caught you out on." She heaved her leg out from under the table and stumbled for the door.

"Alaska, wait!" Looker yelled.

"Fuck off!" she barked, and flung the door open with such vigour it bounced off the wall.

Even as their voices faded almost immediately, their thoughts followed Alaska through the boat; there was no one around, but all she could hear was surprise, regret and plotting echoing through her head. She tried to walk faster as though she could outrun it, but her ribs burnt and her head swayed. Alaska would have screamed simply to listen to something else, but then she came across two people, both in defence force uniform, and decided against.

What's wrong with her? one of them thought as Alaska waddled past.

"Do you really want me to answer?" Alaska snapped and stormed off smirking at the shock that flashed across their faces. Something tingled against her skin, and Alaska turned and saw sunlight glimmering faintly from the far end of the adjacent hallway. Finally, she thought, and lumbered feverishly towards it.

The second she stepped through the door onto the deck, Alaska felt the pressure lift from her head. The voices lingered, but they were quieter now, repressed by how many walls and doors now separated her from everyone else. She was alone out here, and the sudden peace made Alaska groan with pleasure. Finally.

The boat was designed for military purposes, not for cruising, so there were no benches around. Alaska made do with a break in the wall that came in around her height; she sank mercifully onto the cool metal, letting her wounded body melt into its angular curves, and gazed across the ocean.

Alaska had assumed when they had boarded the frigate last night they were being whisked away to some secret hideout, but instead they were anchored in the middle of nowhere, untouched ocean encasing them for miles. The waves were gentle bordering on non-existent, the waters calm and inviting, though Alaska was in no position to swim. She was happy to simply sit out here on her own, basking in the sunlight and praying the past would drift away.

Yet her peace lasted only a few minutes before Alaska felt a shadow cross her face. "Morning," she offered with a barely stifled grimace.

Good morning. Latios' deep tones echoed smoothly through her head, pushing all other voices aside. I hope you slept well.

"Can't you work that out for yourself?"

I could, but I prefer not to pry if unnecessary.

Alaska rolled her eyes and opened them, only to find she was staring at herself. The sight chilled her blood; what little of her skin was visible beneath all the bandages and plasters was sallow and pale in patches, bruised and scabbed in others. She was so many shades – milky white, purplish black, crimson brown – it looked like she'd been rolling through paint. Her head was the worst sign, streaks of dried crimson still there despite the lengthy, quiet shower she'd had last night.

Alaska blinked, desperate to escape, and thankfully her stony face was replaced by Latios'. He floated before her like a loyal balloon, only one with eyes deeper and more eternal than the waters themselves.

"I slept fine," she murmured, though doubted she would tonight after what she'd just seen.

I am pleased. Latios tilted his head, or rather, his elongated neck, and stared at Alaska with renewed intensity. I can sense anger in you. Do you want to discuss it?

A chill ran down Alaska's spine as she imagined him poking around inside her head. "Am I supposed to capture you?" she diverted, tossing the question out there casually. "Leaf and Red captured their legendaries, I think. It seems you and I skipped over that conversation."

You are welcome to try.

There was a smirk in his voice drowned out by the obvious authority. "So I just have to put up with you floating behind me like a bad shadow for the rest of my life?"

If that's how you're going to view this connection, things are going to be very difficult for you.

Alaska laughed. "Things already are difficult for me. Look, if you aren't going to give me the answers I need, why don't you just fly away, because I preferred your vagueness when it wasn't right in my personal bubble space."

Latios laughed, not internally as Alaska had come to expect, but an actual sound passed his lips. It was too soft for her to hear properly, but every hair on her body seemed to stand on end as the whispered chuckle passed her by.

I understand you might gain some pleasure from this, but taking your anger out on me won't benefit anyone, certainly not yourself. We are not linked so you can abuse and belittle me, so are you going to articulate your feelings, or do I need to probe your thoughts?

"Can I really stop you from doing that?" Alaska fired back.

There was a brief pause, but the few seconds seemed to drag on forever. No, I suppose you can't.

Alaska looked up just as Latios' face vanished from her gaze, and once again she was staring at herself. Her eyes were bloodshot and bruised, dark rings circling them like ink stains. There were bandages holding her cheeks, forehead, nose and neck together, white patches that already seemed stained despite barely twelve hours having passed since she was treated. Alaska had scrubbed herself raw last night, but maybe she had imagined things, too caught up in trying to distract her mind from all the guilt, to forget the sight of Butterfree lying in Sandy's arms…

Is it just the guilt you feel?

Alaska blinked and returned to her own head. Latios was floating as close to her height as possible, his deep, haunted eyes only inches from her own. Alaska's instinct was to lie, but that was impossible when it felt like he was staring into the very depths of her being – which, to be fair, he undoubtedly was.

"No. Yes. Maybe? I have no idea. I can't even tell which feelings are my own."

Yes, you can. You can't pawn this off onto anyone else, you will nev-

"Fine!" Alaska threw her arms in the air and winced, having forgotten which parts were bruised and which were stitched. "I'm fucked off because these people that are controlling my life want me to carry on with my journey so Buzz or Gideon or both of them might try and attack me again, just so they can ambush them or something, I have no idea. I sort of expected this, I may have offered if they had asked, but the fact that they, once again, lied to me rather than just telling me the truth just really pisses me off. Because I've been out there this last week trying to do what they want, trying to fight back, trying to balance this war with my journey, exactly as they wanted, and look where it's ended. I came inches to death, my siblings nearly died, I burnt down my dream school, and Sandy…"

Alaska couldn't carry on. For one, her voice was hoarser and weaker than it had been earlier. She wondered if it was the smoke inhalation or simple exhaustion, and wished she had the strength to go back to the infirmary. Yet she was too weak to move, the blood seeming to have evaporated from her body. She longed to sleep, but if she shut her eyes, she was back under the Tower, holding Sandy in her arms, weakly trying to comfort her while knowing that nothing she could ever say or do would ever make up for what she had done.

Thankfully, Latios' voice filled her head again, temporarily relieving her of her own memories. I understand your rage now. Thank you for explaining. Now, how do you intend on resolving this issue?

"I don't see how they can be resolved. I've been fighting these people for months now, and they haven't exactly been forthcoming with an apology or anything… emphasis on anything."

Then you need to find a different solution.

Alaska sat up, eyeing Latios uncertainly. "I thought you were here to offer me advice on shit like this."

Latios' eyes twinkled, and his lips rose in a smirk. I did not break into this dimension and spend months regaining strength in order to be your therapist.

"Well, what's the point of this then?" Alaska snapped. "I didn't ask to hear these voices or to feel like my head has been split in two. I never wanted to feel the pain Sandy felt. If I'm going to be stuck with you, what's the benefit for me?"

Latios laughed again, his chuckle as soft as the breeze. The point? Maybe it's exactly what you just said. Maybe you never wanted to feel that pain, but perhaps you had to.

"Don't give me that touchy feely bullshit," Alaska snapped.

I am not. You want advice or guidance, that is what I am trying to offer.

"I don't want guidance, I want a fucking explanation!" Alaska leapt uneasily to her feet. "For once, I wish someone would give me an honest answer. What is the fucking point of all of this?"

"If you think you're the only one that's ever asked that, I've got news for you."

Alaska yelped instinctively and glanced towards the door; Leaf leant against the frame, smiling awkwardly as her eyes darted between god and trainer. "Seriously?" Alaska squawked, turning back to Latios. "That's the second time this hour! I can hear everyone's thoughts when I don't want to, but when someone is sneaking up on –"

"I'm not sneaking up on you," Leaf interrupted. "I came to check how you're feeling."

Alaska scoffed. "How I'm feeling? Where should I begin?"

"Let me stop you there." Leaf sidled across the deck and settled down on the wall, tapping the spot next to her. "I don't need to hear you bitchily list every insult and injury you've suffered in the last week." When Alaska didn't answer, she laughed in a drained manner. "We don't all need to be read minds to know what people are thinking."

"Aren't you lucky," Alaska replied, barely concealing the contempt in her voice, yet she still sat down beside the gym leader, if only out of continued exhaustion.

I think I'll leave you to it. Latios smiled knowingly as he drifted away from the boat and across the water.

An awkward silence lingered in his wake. Alaska wasn't sure if she was expected to say something or not, but she stared forwards, watching Latios move through the air, trying her best not to listen to whatever thoughts were emanating from the woman next to her.

Thankfully, Leaf broke first. "Look, I'm sorry for what you heard back there, but the reality is that it's the truth. Had I had the chance to vocalise it, I could have worded it differently, but…"

"But you'd simply be rolling the turd in a different pile of glitter."

Leaf smirked. "Probably." She sighed and slumped forwards. Alaska wasn't sure if she was crying or trying to scream, but when the gym leader straightened up, Alaska noticed the rings under Leaf's eyes, a pair of purple half-moons that went well with her bloodshot eyes.

"I know it sounds harsh, but you are the only lead we've got in this fight. We want to end this as much as you do, and wasting time trying to find them won't work. If you're out there, eventually you will run into one of them again. You've been fairly consistent on that front, and believe me, you aren't the first person to constantly encounter your enemies whether you want to or not."

"Is that what happened between you and Giovanni?" Alaska had never touched on the subject with Leaf, despite the fact that one man is what linked all the trials and tribulations the pair had faced. Leaf said nothing in response, but Alaska could see flickers of emotion pass through her own thoughts, flashes of memory leaden with suffering.

"If you want to know why you've been chosen for this, you will never know," Leaf said after a prolonged pause. "I asked myself that every day while we were fighting Giovanni. He had his reasons, but whatever revenge he was trying to satisfy doesn't explain away the fact I can now call on two different gods whenever I need their help. Almost every person in the world in some semblance of power or who had to save the world wonders why it had to be them, why it wasn't Calum from next door or Heidi from the other side of the world."

Alaska sniggered despite herself. "Heidi? Where the hell did that come from?"

"I'm reading this trashy book at the moment," Leaf said, smiling softly. "It's the only thing that takes my mind off anything. Though that's only when I'm not so exhausted I just pass out."

Alaska nodded quietly. She knew that feeling all too well. There was probably a lot she could learn from Leaf, whether it was something as simple as coping with the trauma. Alaska longed for the day she could simply sit down and talk with someone like her without all the tension and pressure simmering away between them. She liked to think that could happen if they survived this, but how many other secret plans were they keeping from her? How much more were they expecting Alaska to go through before this ended?

I could just read her mind. Alaska stared at Leaf's forehead, wondering what she'd find if she looked beneath the surface. Yet the second the thought crossed her mind, a spasm went through her brain, too intense for Alaska to stifle her own shout.

"Are you alright?" Leaf moved on her instantly, resting a hand to her forehead. "Is this the mind reading thing?"

"Yep." Alaska winced against the pain as five different voices floated through her head, wavering in and out of tune like a bad radio station. "Not an area of expertise for you by any chance?"

"Sadly, no," Leaf said, sounding genuinely sympathetic. "But after what you said before, I put a call in to a friend who can help."

"Who? Where is she?" Alaska was desperate for any salvation right now, she didn't care where the help came from.

"She should be here soon. In fact, I think that might be here now." Leaf pointed across the ocean, but when Alaska followed her line of sight, she saw nothing except for Latios floating in the air.

Then, she realised. The previously frozen waters were now shimmering and shifting, soft waves crashing against the boat that were only getting bigger. The sky was as cloudless and sparkling as it had been a minute earlier, but Alaska could feel a change in the air, a sudden pressure that was slowly growing. Alaska stood up, tense and prepared, aware now that something was coming towards them. There was a shimmer in the air that was getting closer and closer, creating a wake strong enough to part the ocean, two columns of water billowing out with ever-increasing height.

Suddenly, the waves slammed into the hull, and a wall of air sent Alaska crashing backwards, almost squashing Leaf as she tumbled against the boat. Alaska winced with pain, not helped by the waves now violently rocking the boat, but all anger and suffering left her as she stared at the new arrival.

For a second, Alaska thought she was seeing double. The creature looked so alike Latios that it could have been his mirror image if it were not was red where he was blue, blue where he was red. Yet everything else was identical, from the wings on their backs to the curvature of their heads. What struck Alaska though was the sense of familiarity that blossomed within her; it was not their appearances that struck her, more that it was like looking at an old friend or family member she knew intimately yet had not seen for years.

Hello brother.

Sister.
Latios drifted forwards so his forehead touched Latias', and Alaska felt phantom goosebumps spread down her body as the two nuzzled each other in greeting.

"I'll never get used to that." Leaf drew Alaska out of her thoughts as she rose queasily to her feet "You didn't have to come that quickly."

"These two really only have the one setting."

Alaska had been so distracted by the similarity she had not noticed there was a woman riding on Latias' back. She swung one leg over and slid roughly onto the deck, wobbling as she landed. "To be honest, I don't think I'm used to it either," she added, gripping the rail to steady herself. She stared down at her feet and smirked before pulling Leaf into a hug, though her eyes stared over the gym leader's shoulder and locked onto Alaska. Hello there.

Alaska said nothing. She was too busy cursing her own stupidity. She had known Latios had a sister, that his whole thing was that he came in a pair, but through all her own struggles and longing to meet him, Alaska had never considered how that other half would fit in.

And now here was this girl, one of the most famous people in the world, walking towards her with unquestionable certainty. Alaska knew her of course; the blue-green hair, the lanky body tucked into blue jeans and a long red shirt, white bag hanging lazily from her shoulders. Alaska had seen her in magazines, had watched her battles, had seen that Latias decimate countless opponents. This girl was a literal Champion, and she had flown all the way from Johto just to meet Alaska.

"Alaska? I've been dying to meet you. My name's Krystal, but you can call me Kris."

Chapter Ninety Nine: Soul Sisters
Author Note:

Well, long time no post! Never intended to take a break or anything. A number of things just happened in conjunction that meant I fell out of writing for a little bit, and amongst that, I stopped posting here. Blame new jobs, same old struggles, plus a lovely pandemic in the mix (even in New Zealand we haven't escaped the anxiety and stresses of this situation!)

As a result, most of my stories now remain ideas rather than pieces that will likely ever be finished. Dreams That You Dreamed may continue as people did seem to like that one, but The First Warriors was already being bogged down with the same issues that have made Galactic a completely unimaginable project to continue on. Eight Easy Steps, for all its many flaws that have taken me a long time to accept and a longer time to work out how to fix (and has contributed to lack of new updates - revised Arc 2 chapters coming soon too!), it is nearly complete, with just two arcs to go. So, I decided a few weeks ago to publish a new chapter that I've been working on since about, well, this time last year and actually get something out in 2021, and writing it has renewed my spark and made me want to carry on. How long that continues when I return to work post-summer holiday I have no idea, but let's see what comes out in the meantime.

One thing to note - my posting here slowed down so much that this is actually a bit behind (I also got a warning pointing out just how long its been since I posted here... So this thread is a bit behind FF.net, so I will post once a week for a little bit to catch it back up - and have the Arc 2 edits fully ready for the actual most recent chapter. Until then, enjoy!

PS Nice to see a lot of the familiar people are still active around here! Feel free to message to say Hi or whatever you feel like! I've had an exhausting few years and not sure I can fully return to the daily forum grind but will endeavour to do my best to participate rather than just post chapters and run!

Chapter Ninety Nine: Soul Sisters

"Close your eyes. Shut out everything around you, everything except for my voice. Focus entirely on what I'm saying. Focus on me, my voice, nothing else. Hone in on that. When you're ready, just nod. Are you sure? Okay then – open your inner eye."

Alaska felt her breath evaporate from her lungs as a rush of images flashed through her head. Kris playing in her garden. Kris picking Chikorita as her starter. That Chikorita battling against a Totodile. Then a Croconaw. Then a Feraligatr. Kris meeting her grandmother for the first time, Kris searching through a cave for the voice in her head, Kris arriving at Champion's Park. Kris battling a red-haired boy, then Lance, then Red.

Each image was a mere flicker, existing in her mind for barely a second, flashing there and then enveloped by some other thought or memory.

All except one. Floating beneath all the other images was Kris kneeling in a field of snow, screaming as energy flowed through her body, her veins glowing a shade of red that did not belong on a human body.

"Alaska, come back to me. Alaska! Get her out of there!"

There was a blue flash and Alaska's eyes were forced open. She gasped for air as the real world re-appeared; clear blue skies, salty sea air, the gentle lull of the waves. Her own thoughts and memories returned, yet phantom feelings lingered. Alaska shivered from a cold long since passed, and her eyes were drawn to her hands, half expecting the palm lines to crack open with blood-red light.

"Maybe we should have chosen a less traumatic mind to try this on."

Alaska smirked. "I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone like that on this boat."

"True," Kris sniggered. "There's a Slowpoke floating out there, maybe we can examine what few thoughts he has."

Alaska followed Kris' gaze up and saw what looked like a pink blob smeared across an otherwise cerulean oasis. The candy coloured-creature was the only Pokémon Alaska had seen out there all day, the sole being disturbing the otherwise calm, crystalline surface of the ocean. She looked around to see if the rest of its pod was near, but the Slowpoke seemed to be alone and unfazed, simply letting the current carry it along.

Easy life for some, isn't it? Alaska let the thought gestate for a moment before regret hit her like a car. Oh my god, am I really jealous of a fucking Slowpoke?

"I've been jealous of worse Pokémon than that," Kris sighed. "A Drifloon got tangled in the branches outside my house once, and I remember watching the staff try to free and thinking… sorry, force of habit, I really shouldn't have…"

It took a moment for Alaska to work out what she was implying. "Oh, don't apologise. I've been doing it myself, so… I know the…the… I want to say guilty feeling, but that doesn't feel right."

"Because you don't have any control over what you're doing, so how can you feel guilty about something you didn't mean to do?" Kris smiled sympathetically. "Yeah, I've been there. It takes a while to get used to."

Alaska simply smiled. She was sure it was possible – Kris appeared to be coping well, after all – but Alaska wasn't sure how she would ever live with these thoughts. It had barely been twenty-four hours and already she was sick of it.

An hour spent with the Champion had not improved things. Kris had barely introduced herself before she pulled Alaska into a training session, getting her to meditate and clear her mind as if it was all that simple. Alaska had been willing to try, but nothing could stop the thoughts from crawling through her brain like parasitic insects, sucking away her energy and free will.

She and Kris were at least alone at the prow of the boat, many inches of steel separating them from Leaf, Janine, Looker, everyone, but Alaska could still hear their whispers permeating through the walls, memories trying to get under her skin.

"I have to be honest." Alaska had been sitting on this question all day, but now seemed as prudent a time to ask as any. "I don't know how it was for you, but this gift or power or whatever we're calling it, I would give anything to be rid of it. I know you are just here to help, and I do appreciate it, but rather than trying to help me control it, can't I just give it back and move on?"

Alaska had barely finished speaking before Kris laughed, a high-pitched snort that quickly turned into a gasp, hands flying to her face as if they could catch the sound. Words failed Alaska, and she simply tilted her head and stared quizzically at Kris, whose face rapidly filled with guilt.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to," she said finally after a drawn-out pause.

"You don't look very sorry," Alaska retorted.

"I am!" Kris protested, though even as she said it her lips started twitching again, a giggle clearly waiting to slip out. Alaska simply raised an eyebrow, and Kris let it free with great reluctance. "Okay, I am sorry for laughing, but what you said sounded just like me back in the day."

"You wanted to give up this power as well?" Somehow, Alaska couldn't imagine Kris – the Johto Champion, this unknown figure that was both revered and reviled – handing away whatever it was that they had.

"See, that's what got me. You keep talking about 'power' like we've just been injected with a special serum and now we're superheroes. So, first things first, we don't have a power – they do."

Kris pointed to the sky, and Alaska obediently turned her gaze in the same direction. Unsurprisingly, there were Latios and Latias, still floating in circles above the boat as they had done for the last hour. She knew they were listening in – that blue flash could have only come from one place – but a soft, distant voice whispering in the corners of her mind told her that the two were deep in their own conversation, one she would not be privy to.

Yet, despite herself, Alaska longed to know what they were saying. The rush that had come through Latios when he saw his sister, the flashes of memory that felt eerily familiar; theirs was a connection stronger than any other, and Alaska found herself strangely envious to think that two creatures could be so powerfully devoted to each other.

"How much do you know about him and his origins?"

Kris' voice echoed from what felt like the bottom of a deep well, and reluctantly Alaska pulled her gaze away from the gods. "Nothing at all."

"Ah…" Kris pondered this for a moment before smiling and dropping into a crouch. "Well, I guess it's time for the history part of today's lesson! Sit down, come on."

"Fine, but I didn't come on this journey to learn things," Alaska said as she lowered herself down, "so there better be a murder or two to keep things interesting."

"Wow, you really do know nothing – about them," Kris added quickly. "It's not your fault, people know very little about them. I've tried to find texts, paintings, monuments, anything to fill in the gaps in our shared knowledge, but there isn't a lot out there.

"What is known and generally accepted is that the two of them were created essentially to serve as universal peacekeepers. This was back when humans and Pokémon were still at war, decimating one another as they pointlessly tried to defend their territories.

"Arceus knew something needed to be done, so he created Latias and Latios to try and placate the masses. He did this by giving them a unique mix of powers; draconic abilities to make them stronger and more invulnerable than most ordinary Pokémon, balanced with psychic skills that made them peaceful and gentle.

"He also carved off pieces of their essences and placed them into two rocks. Two humans were then selected by some divine lottery system and were bonded to one of the twins. They would be allowed to share in their gifts, and in doing so prove to everyone else that humans and Pokémon could cohabitate together without, you know, killing each other."

As Kris spoke, Alaska saw images flash across her eyes; burning villages, armies advancing on one another, and then what looked like a theatre carved into the earth. The flashes made her head spin, and she struggled not to flinch. "What does this have to do with their gifts?"

"Right… so, we all know that Psychic Pokémon can enter the minds of those around them. It's as if we all have a little door at the back of our brains, one that only Psychics can see. They can open it at will and step inside, but most can't do anything more than look around and leave again. That makes sense?"

Alaska nodded, thinking of Hestia prodding around inside her head.

"Well, for the two of us, the door goes both ways," Kris continued. "When Latios fought his way back into this world, he opened that door and left it unlocked, allowing you to move through it at will. The more his strength grew, the more he was able to travel through your door and through the minds of those near you.

"That probably seemed like a handy little skill, something that made defeating certain gym leaders a little easier," Kris said, a twinkle in her eye. "However, now that you've met, the pair of you entered each other's field of reception. So now everything, all the information you want, all the thoughts you didn't want to hear, you can pick up on all of them. You've gained that ability to open any door near you, whether you want to or not. You need to learn to go back and shut them all so that only a few are left open, the ones you actually need."

"I think your metaphors got a little jumbled there."

Kris smirked and shrugged. "Probably. You're the first person I've ever had to tutor in this, so cut me some slack."

"Well, who tutored you?"

Kris' smile faltered, and her eyes flickered fretfully towards Latias. "No one," she said after a minute. "It was just me and her having to sort it out together. It… it wasn't fun."

Alaska nodded; she didn't need to hear anything else, she understood that pain all too well. "So, how did you manage to shut all the voices out?"

"Practice. Meditation, sleep therapy, hard training. Of course, it was made a little easier thanks to this."

Kris reached into her bag, ferreting around for something inside. Even before she pulled it out, Alaska could tell that Kris had been waiting for this moment all day. There was an eagerness in the Champion's face, a sparkle in her eye and fidgeting energy around her that radiated anticipation.

Finally, she pulled out a small wooden box. Kris held it out silently, and Alaska accepted it with the same ominous hush. As her fingers brushed across the wooden surface engraved with Arcethian symbols, the whispers in the back of her head picked up. Alaska winced as she tried to ignore them, but they were now louder than ever, screaming in her head. It felt as though there were dozens, maybe even hundreds, of people talking to her now, and she could barely keep her eyes open as her fingers ripped open the lid.

Blue light radiated from the box, and Alaska screamed as her vision went dark. She felt her head tip back and hit something hard, but all she could see were memories, memories that had no business being inside her head. Army training, gym battles, funerals, weddings, birthdays, school exams, anger, devotion, intimacy, depression; Alaska could see it all and she was certain it was killing her.

"GET THEM OUT, GET THEM OUT!"

Alaska, breathe!

A blow with the force of a punch hit Alaska across the head, and she lurched forward faster than her brain could process. She almost rolled forwards before she was even aware of what was happening, but a pair of hands pulled her back, the touch snapping her brain back into place. The images vanished as quickly as they had appeared, though the voices, reduced to hushed whispers once again, remained.

"What… the fuck… is that?" Alaska wheezed.

This is the Enigma Stone.

In her jolted state, Alaska hadn't even noticed the twins approach. She cautiously glanced upwards, afraid one look from Latios might send her back, but the legendary was staring at the box that was now floating between his hands. His gaze rested on it for nearly a minute before he looked at Kris. You should not have brought her this today.

"Why?" Kris asked, her face slack with confusion and distress. "I was given my Enigma Stone before I had even met Latias."

Yes, but I had never re-entered it, Latias explained. Her voice was softer and more soothing than Latios', and Alaska relaxed as her words drifted over her. Latios has always been the harsher of the two of us, the connection between god and human harder to forge. His stone is still fractured from him having to break through it, and –

And Alaska does not need to see it just yet. It is not a playing card used to win a game, this is a jewel with power incomprehensible to mortal minds.

Kris glowered at Latios. "I know, I've had to comprehend it."

Then you should have known it was too soon. Latios watched Kris briefly with a dark stare close to a glower before he looked at Alaska. The Enigma Stone is the bond between our human counterparts and us. Part of my soul resides in here, a piece of me that serves as a gateway to a higher plane of existence. In a different reality, you may have pulled me out of there, instead of me having to force my way out.

"Can it stop the voices?" Alaska asked, her exhausted, pained state making her sound weaker than she intended.

Latios nodded curtly. If you have it on you, the power within will stop all voices but mine. However, the stone was not designed to be worn – there is untampered energy within, which, left uncontrolled, can be harmful.

"How do you control it then?"

Alaska knew before she had finished speaking she would not like the answer. No one said anything or even exchanged a look, but it was the forced, stoic silence that spoke volumes. The atmosphere changed, and Alaska watched the other three cautiously, wondering if there was some discussion going on that she was not a party to.

Finally, Kris met her eye. "Those visions you saw before, of me screaming in pain?"

"Hard to forget," Alaska said stiffly.

Kris nodded, smiling weakly. "Same here. What you saw happened three years ago on Mount Coronet. That was when Latias and I performed the ceremony that re-distributed the energy from our Enigma Stone between us."

"Re-distributed? Like –"

The energy within the stone is only there until we perform the ceremony, Latias explained. It is a commitment between both parties, one Arceus devised to ensure the humans were worthy to share our power.

And that is the purpose of the ceremony – it gives the human greater access to our gifts, while fully unlocking our own,
Latios added, his gaze firmly locked on Alaska. He twitched his hands slightly, and the box opened, blue light shining across his face. The ceremony is a symbol of earned trust on both sides and was meant as a sign to prove to our warring ancestors that cohabitation was possible.

Alaska let the words wash over her without paying attention. She was too engrossed by the blue glow, a shimmering light that seemed to be calling out to her. Despite the pain that she felt as the voices picked up again, Alaska wanted to reach out and grab hold of what was inside. An ancient power that was able to stop the greatest war the world has ever known, and it's my destiny to possess it. All I have to do is touch that rock, and then –

The images came instantly. Alaska gasped and stepped away as Kris' screams echoed through her head. She could feel pain like fire burning through her veins, and Alaska's vision wavered between the concerned faces in front of her and the shocked, bloodied faces of strangers she somehow knew.

"No, sorry, no thank you." Alaska wasn't sure if it was herself or the boat that was lurching, but she basically stumbled across the deck, trying to find the door through her shaking vision.

"What are you talking about?"

"I don't want any more power or responsibility, thanks for offering." Something looked like a door up ahead, but Alaska blinked and she could see only a redhead clutching an umbrella walking through the snow. "Just take the voices out of my head and we can all go our separate ways, no harm done!"

Alaska, you cannot run from this.

"I could if my muscles weren't on fire!" Alaska raised what she hoped was her middle finger in what she hoped was the direction of Latios, and the thought made her smile as her knees gave way and she sank to the ground.

"Don't," she barked, sensing all three of them closing in. Alaska gripped onto a rivet and used it to steady herself, and without a second glance, she pushed herself around the corner, heading back for the door she had come through.

"Alaska, you can't just walk away!"

"Fuck off, Kris, I don't need any more meditation lessons from you."

Alaska was nearly at the door when Kris grabbed hold of her, pulling her around so they were face-to-face. "You may not want to hear what I have to say, but I'm the only person in the world alive who knows what you're going through. I can help you through this."

"You think we're sisters in arms just because of these stupid rocks?" Alaska snapped, pulling her arm free from Kris' grip. "Just because you were willing to go through that doesn't mean I have to be."

"Willing?" Kris scoffed. "You really think I wanted to do that? Did you actually listen to my memories while you were in there, or were you too focused on what was happening around you?"

Alaska was never one to give up on an argument this easily, but as she tried to counter Kris' bitter, fiery glare, she knew she had nothing to say. Kris was right, she had been too consumed by the pain she had felt that she hadn't realised that the pain wasn't even hers.

As she processed this, Kris stood watching her with a glint in her eyes that was glumly triumphant. As the minutes dragged by in silence, she sighed and sank back against the railing, letting her gaze drift across the ocean.

"Very little in my life has been my choice. My father left us, my mother ostracised us from his family, and then she got sick. I left on my journey thinking it was my chance to take control, but then Gold –" Kris hesitated, and Alaska could sense the shiver that ran through her body. "Ethan came along," she continued with bite, "and he ensured that I never had a chance to be at peace.

"I never wanted to go to Mount Coronet. If I'd had a choice, I would have stayed home, let all those with more experience fight it out. Even when I found myself in the thick of it, I didn't know what use I could possibly be. And then… then there was a moment, and I knew then why I was there."

Kris fell silent as her voice cracked. Alaska did not need to read her mind to know what she was thinking; Kris' hands had turned white as they gripped the railing, and her eyes shimmered with tears. She was not crying, though. The look in her eyes, dark and bitter, belonged to someone remembering something that they didn't want to.

"I know your anger. I have been there myself, months, years even, wondering why me, why I had to do all this, why I had to risk my life. And I can't fault you for fearing it – you'd be an idiot not to. If I had known it would hurt that much, I never would have agreed.

"I had loved being connected to Latias until then, but at that moment I wish I had never been given my stone, I wished I had never found her. It felt like someone was ripping me slowly in two while shoving a car battery through my chest. I can't tell you how long the pain lasted in seconds. It felt like weeks for me, and that whole time all I could think was I wish I was home, I wish I had never left.

"Do you know how selfish that is, though?" Kris glanced at Alaska, her tear-filled rage unchanged. "Do you? Because I didn't. Not for years. The thought never crossed my mind until I saw Cynthia a few weeks ago. She talked about how there is so much she hates about her life, but she would have hated the life she would have led even more. And I agree. Being Champion has been torture, but how would I have lived with myself if I had lost to Ethan, or to Lance? The emotional torment of a life spent wondering 'what if' is far worse than any physical pain I've been through."

"How can we possibly know that though?" Alaska joined Kris by the railing, following her gaze out to sea. "See, I've had that same voice in my head for weeks. 'You may hate this now, Alaska, but you hated that town more, didn't you?', it'll say, and I agree and try my best to grin and bear it all. But as much as I hated Viridian, everything I've been through… I just… wouldn't it have been easier?"

"Maybe. You'll never know now. Maybe it's simply that I would not wish this life on anyone else. The pain, the suffering, it's been hell, but it's been my hell. I have survived it, something few others would have, and there has to be something in me that makes me different from all those others. So I have to survive, I have to carry on."

Alaska struggled not to scoff. "That's easy for you to say. You and Cynthia can both look back and second guess everything because you both survived, you have lived despite what happened."

Kris was not as restrained in her derision. "Do you think it's been easy?" she snapped. "I've survived, sure, I didn't die on Mount Coronet as countless others did. But I have suffered, I did not stroll down that mountain and get to carry on living my life as if nothing has happened. I've lost friends, family, Pokémon. The circle of those I've trusted has gotten smaller, at the same time that all those who want to see me defeated have become louder and stronger.

"You know people think I am only Champion because of Latias? I'm constantly being told by the press, by other elite trainers, by fucking randoms on the internet, that I only won because of her. It hurts, and I hate it, mostly because I know it's true. I managed to defeat the Elite Four without her for the most part, and then Gold, but Lance…"

Alaska solemnly nodded. She had the battle briefly in Kris' memories, but she remembered it clearly enough from watching it live: the brutality of the clashes, the screams of the Pokémon, the ferocity of the attacks, moments people would scarcely forget any time soon.

Kris seemed to be thinking on it as well, as it took her a few moments to recover and carry on. "All that darkness weighs down on me. For years, I've wished it would go away. In my blackest moments, I wish I had never met her. If I had won on my own merits, people would nothing to attack me over. If I had lost, I could have gone home with my head held high and started afresh.

"But I met Latias, and I am so glad I did. I would never trade her companionship away for anything. In time, you will feel what I feel with Latios, and then you will see why it is all worth it. I have spent years longing for a better life, but what Cynthia said made me realise in order to have all this good stuff, I have to accept my role in all this mess and all the horrible responsibilities that come with it."

"And you're fine with your life being dictated by fate?"

Kris let out a single, dry laugh dripping with exasperation, almost tipping over the railing as she let her head tilt back. "We're all dictated by fate, most of us just don't know it. You're in the lucky minority of those who have a chance to prepare for what's coming ahead. You know a fight is coming, you know you and Latios will have to bond, you get to prepare.

"You said before that I've survived, I get to move on. But I don't. I survived one day, but I don't get to live forever. But sitting in my house feeling sorry for myself as I have the last three years isn't going to help anyone, certainly not myself. I don't know why you and I were chosen out of the billions of people on this planet to fight alongside them, but all I know is I have to actually change my situation and find out why I've gone through all of this."

Kris stood back, not quite composed but her face lighter than it had been five minutes ago. She looked at Alaska and exhaled, the beginnings of a smile crossing her face. She looked free and unburdened, as though she had been holding that all in for years and had finally released, and Alaska wanted to be happy for her, but everything Kris had been holding in now sat squarely on her shoulders.

"But what if you can't save anybody? What if you do die and it doesn't mean anything? You've gone through all of this and you just… die pointlessly at the end of it?"

Kris shrugged, smiling in a way halfway between serenity and sadness. "I have to believe I've gone through this for a reason because if I get to the end of whatever path I'm on and it's all been for nothing, that might just be what kills me. But I won't know until the end, will I?"

Alaska couldn't let it end there. She wanted to say something, to ask all the questions that had been stirred up, questions she knew had to be asked while the walls were down between them. But before she could, the door behind her creaked open, and Alaska spun violently towards a nurse standing in the gap.

The woman looked startled for a moment but coughed to compose herself. "Your Pokémon have finished being treated, Miss Acevedo. Miss Oak thought that you would be worried about them and would like them back."

She held out a tray and Alaska practically lunged for it. There were all six of her Poké Balls, held neatly in place by the plastic mould. She hadn't realised how scuffed they were looking – one in particular looked scratched and scuffed, and Alaska knew that belonged to Darwin, having sat unused at the bottom of her bag for so long.

"Thank you," she said with an apologetic smile. The nurse merely nodded and accepted the empty tray. Alaska watched her go and kept staring at the door long after she had left, clutching the cold capsules in her hands.

"You have a Pidgeot, right?"

Kris' voice sounded far away again, and Alaska nodded without looking at her.

"You should let her out, I'm sure she'd like to come with us."

Alaska blinked in confusion. Had she missed something amongst all that bleakness? "What are you talking about?"

"I don't know about you, but I'm sick of arguing and debating concepts that we have no control over. So I'm going to do what I came here to do, and that's teach." Kris said all this as she climbed onto the railing, her bloodshot, teary eyes at odds with her suddenly sparkling smile "You keep focussing on the negatives, don't you want to experience some of the joys as well?" She winked as she swung her legs over and jumped off.

Alaska was too stunned to shout. She ran to the edge and peered over, expecting to see Kris bobbing face-down in the surf. Instead, she was nearly bowled over as Latias shot up the side of the boat, Kris nestled on her back and whooping with joy.

She is right, you know. You have endured a lot today. You deserve the right to distract yourself.

"What, am I supposed to forget everything she just told me?"

Of course not. Remember it, think about it, hold onto it. But don't forget to live.

The irony in that statement was so richly obvious Alaska wanted to laugh. She turned to Latios with a comeback on her tongue, but remained silent as she found those piercing eyes were only a few feet away; Alaska stared into those endlessly deep blue eyes and saw the face of a much older, more defeated woman staring back.

"You win this time." Alaska moved to the railing, unsure how she was going to achieve this, but Latios lowered himself until he was nearly laying on the deck. Alaska nodded in appreciation as she grabbed his neck and swung a leg over.

She had expected some layer of fur or feathers, but Latios' skin was bare, just taut flesh that felt warm beneath Alaska's touch. It was almost like plastic, but it was vibrating with an energy that felt completely natural. "What am I meant to hold onto?"

Trust me, you will be fine.

"Yeah, 'cause that's worked out really well so far."

She seems to be doing just fine.

Alaska couldn't sass her way out of that one: Latias soared above the boat, moving so fast she was less of a blur and more a flicker caught in the sunlight. You only knew where she was because Kris' gleeful cries stretched from port to stern, rumbling across the sky like joyful thunder.

"Alright then," Alaska said, leaning into Latios with an elaborate sigh. Yet she knew he would be able to see through that and sense the spark of joy that had risen up inside her. The last week had been nothing but fear and suffering, and any more time spent Why shouldn't I relax? What harm is five minutes of fun going to do?

The deck flashed red, blue and yellow as Alaska released her Poké Balls. Her eyes drifted over each one of her Pokémon, relieved to see that they all looked far better today than yesterday. Bluebell was haughty, Darwin sour, Frances fretful and Nadia surly, all as she'd like. Shelley, sitting in Alaska's lap, even glistened as her eyes excitedly glanced around their new surroundings.

Alaska never wanted to show favourites, but as Paige leapt onto the railing, she couldn't hold back her grin. The Pidgeot fluttered her wings in a stretch, revealing a thick paste coating her bullet wound but no signs of pain or wear.

"You want to go for a race?" Alaska asked, overcome with relief.

Paige tilted her head curiously and looked between Alaska and Latios, clearly uncertain, and Alaska laughed. "Latios, if you will."

Latios said nothing as he rose away from the deck. Alaska yelped as she slid backwards, her thighs jolting as they hit Latios' wings. She leant forward so her hands clutched his arms, and tightened her legs so Shelley was secure. There was a squawk as Paige pushed off and flew after them, and only then did Alaska realise how far away the deck was. "Are you sure this is safe?"

Of course not, Latios replied, and Alaska caught a hint of a smirk on his face before she felt the wings tighten, and then her whole world vanished.

Alaska wanted to scream, but there was no air left in her lungs. She wanted to wave to Paige for help, but even if the pressure wasn't forcing her arms against Latios, Alaska couldn't see where to wave. The sky, the sea, the boat, her Pokémon, they were all just smears on the peripheral edges of her vision. Anything beyond Latios and Shellder looked like static on her old TV, a giant undefined mass with some reality hidden beneath.

Of course, Alaska was barely looking. If she kept her eyes open too long, the wind stung like knives and hit like a brick, pushing the organs into the depths of her skull. Alaska's skin seemed vacuum-packed around her muscles, which now seemed to exist several metres behind her. Latios swerved slightly, and Alaska felt her whole centre of gravity rotate entirely.

Is this supposed to be fun? I feel like cheese going through the grater.

"You're experiencing it on the wrong plane of existence."

Alaska reluctantly opened her eyes and nearly let go in shock; Kris and Latias floated alongside, appearing still while the blurred world moved behind them, and Alaska wasn't sure what optical illusion this was. "What do you mean?"

"Shut your eyes and open his," Kris said a second before she vanished, Latias swerving back into the nothingness.

Alaska was getting sick of hearing about her third eye, but if she was going to go through this, she might as well try and do it right. After a quick glance to make sure Shelley hadn't fallen off – from the look on her face, she probably wished she had – Alaska nestled back into her safe spot and shut her eyes. Alright, open sesame, abra kadabra, alohamora, show me a whole new world why don't you.

A shudder passed through her brain, and Alaska willed her eye open.

The world returned, though it was not yet at a normal speed. Instead, Alaska was viewing things through the tunnelled perception of Latios' vision. Everything seemed to be in a fish-eye state, everything curving away as Latios moved. Streaks that she guessed was the wind blowing in the sky distorted the world, leaving off-white gaps that stood out in the blue tint that Latios seemed to have.

Yet when they passed over the boat, everything made sense. Alaska grinned as she saw her Pokémon trying to follow them, their eyes tracing them slowly as they moved beyond their perception. Alaska finally managed a cheer and wondered how long it would take for them to notice.

In the distance, she saw Paige, still chasing after them but about several minutes behind, still trailing their starting position. Alaska wanted to reach out and touch her, but she knew enough about speed and force to think that was a bad idea.

You can't touch her, simply move the wind around her, Latios' voice echoed. We would kill her if we hit her untampered, but touching another Pokémon or object would force me out of this state and back into your normal speed.

My normal? Is this your normal?

It is my natural state, yes. We both prefer it here.
Latios glanced around, tracing his sister as she and Kris moved further out to sea. It is quieter here, something I am sure you can appreciate.

Alaska knew what he was talking about. The only thoughts in her head at the moment were his. All the voices, the whispers, the haunted memories, she had left them on the deck. She couldn't even feel the wind now that she was looking through Latios, completely immersed as she was inside his head.

Is this what it will be like when we bond? As they swerved over the boat, Alaska thought of all the people inside. Leaf, Janine, Looker – never again would she have to see inside their heads. Her thoughts would be hers again, and in return, she could stay here as well, escape the harshness out there. If I survive, I can finally be alone again. No more fighting, no more arguing, not with Leaf, not with Sandy –

The thoughts came out of nowhere. They seemed to literally fly into Alaska's mind, appearing with such surprise her head physically jolted. Alaska gasped as she felt a rush of grief and exhaustion, and suddenly she was seeing a mist of blood shrouding a laughing face.

Alaska, you must force them out.

I can't!
Alaska could see a Caterpie crawling up a tree, a Metapod spraying String Shot, a Butterfree dutifully protecting her trainer. She longed to cry, she wished she could go back asleep and crawl up in her bed and force the thoughts away. She wished it had been her that had been shot, not Butterfree, not her Pokémon, not her, anyone but her.

Alaska wasn't even aware her grip had loosened until it was too late. One second Latios' body hummed beneath her, the next she was hurtling through the air but felt strangely weightless. She could feel blood vessels bursting through her body as force hit her, her entire chest compacting so her organs seemed to condense into one. But all Alaska could see was Butterfree lying in what felt like her arms, her still warm blood pouring over her body, not even seeing the ocean until the water was well over her head.

Chapter One Hundred: So Here We Are
Chapter One Hundred: So Here We Are

Dreams always came as a nasty shock to Alaska. After weeks spent trying to shore up her place in an increasingly mad world, it was always disconcerting when she found herself in another place, in another time, forced to navigate some fresh hellscape of uncertainty.

At least this one didn't seem so bad. She was walking along some nameless route, one of the ones with powerful trees looming over a path bordered by rocky cliff faces –essentially, she could be anywhere.

Yet Alaska did not have to look far in order to ground herself. Few places she had visited had an ancient mountain towering over them, and even if she had not been here before, Mount Moon was simply one of those places every Kantonian could recognise.

Weird place for a dream, though. Alaska moved closer towards the mountain, wondering what had pulled her subconscious back here. It literally seemed to be dragging her there – she felt airy, weightless, her feet seeming to float above the earth. Whatever had brought her here, it clearly had to be important.

Alaska turned abruptly, moving closer to the small close of trees. The dusty earth was replaced with limp grass trying to survive under the summer sun, and the odd scraggly bush now stood in the place of boulders. It was all seeming very familiar now, but it was not until Alaska pushed through the branches that she learned where she was.

"Did you hear that?"

Alaska watched herself look around the small clearing, her younger self tense and beady-eyed as she scouted out her target. When nothing else moved, the dream-Alaska returned to the task in front of her. "Pole C needs to connect to Pole A…or is that a 4? When did numbers come into this?"

"Gee!"

"I know I only set this up three days ago, but a lot has happened in those three days. For instance, you had a completely different body, or have you forgotten that already?"

Paige huffed and shook her head, though she seemed to flourish the action, one eye watching her new red head crest as it shook in the moonlight.

"Quit showing off and do something useful," the dream-Alaska sighed. She picked up a pole at random and held it next to another, examining the right angle they made and trying to discern if it was the shape she wanted.

Alaska knew that because she had lived this before. This was not a dream but a memory, though not hers. The whole floating thing should have been a clue, she realised as she lifted Latios' spindly arms and oval hands in front of his eyes.

So you started stalking me this early on… Alaska watched her past self-struggle with the tent, smiling at the innocence of her struggle. At this point, there had only been the one robot, the one explosion at the museum, the one fight with Gideon. Alaska longed for the days when tent poles were the height of her problem. She wasn't sure who she felt sorry for; herself for missing the banalities of travelling, or the younger girl unaware of what she was walking into.

"Okay, I think I've got it." The phantom Alaska stepped back, admiring the triangular shape she'd created with the poles with triumph in her eyes. The victorious grin lasted just seconds before the poles wobbled and instantly collapsed.

"Not a word," she cautioned Paige, and sank to the ground. "I need another pair of hands. Can you see Darwin anywhere?"

Paige did not hesitate before launching herself into the air. It was as if she had been waiting for her cue: both Alaskas watched the Pidgeotto as she soared gallantly towards a nearby tree, Paige trying to look carefree and steadfast but one eye furtively watched Alaska watching her.

Her distracted gaze meant she nearly hit a trunk; Paige ungracefully turned and disappeared into the branches. Almost immediately there was a squawk followed by a shriek; a battle chorus of competing cries sparked, aided by the violent shaking of the tree.

The younger Alaska watched the swaying uneasily. "Paige? Darwin?" she asked with a rhetorical, forced air, clearly not expecting an answer.

But one came in the form of a violent explosion of fur and feathers: the past Alaska shrieked as her two Pokémon soared out from the tree and crashed into her tent, all flailing arms and flapping wings rolling over one another. Their shrieks became louder and more violent, and tent poles flew as they rolled through over the mess.

"Oi, stop that!"

Alaska tensed as she watched her younger self leap towards the pair and throw her arms between them. She hadn't seen it coming then, but with the benefit of hindsight it should have been obvious. She could barely watch as one of Darwin's spindly claws swung out, catching her younger self across the head.

Even in the dark, Alaska could see the flecks of blood fly across the clearing. The fighting stopped immediately. Paige disentangled herself from Darwin and hobbled towards her trainer, leaving the Mankey bouncing inattentively in the background. Paige gingerly reached out with her wings, but the younger Alaska did not accept her touch, her face buried in both of her hands.

"Pid Gee?"

"I'm fine. I just want to build the tent," Alaska said through her hands. "I don't want to sleep outdoors again. Is that too much to ask?"

Paige nodded but made no move towards the tent. She instead jumped onto her Alaska's legs and wrapped her wings around her trainer, resting her head on her chest. The hug went ignored for nearly a minute before the young Alaska, making a sound somewhere between a sigh and a sob, relented and finally relinquished her own face.

Alaska felt torn as she watched the two embrace. Part of her wanted to launch herself forwards and grab her younger self by the shoulder and shake her until she snapped out of it. It's only a cut, she longed to scream, it's only a tent that won't go up. What are you complaining about? Don't you know what's going to come next?

Yet the other half of her remembered how tough those first few weeks had been. Adjusting to life on the road, walking miles every day and sleeping on a thin sleeping bag every night. This was an Alaska who had only fought one robot, who had survived Gideon for the first time, an Alaska alone with only Paige and Darwin for company. This Alaska had no clue what was coming, and that made her all the more pitiable.

Alaska let her eyes wander, taking in every part of the scene. She should have savoured Kanto's beauty more in those early weeks – the trees, the mountains, the dusty, rocky cliffs, they had all been new to her and she had been too distracted by nothing to notice. If she had paid attention, she might have been able to catch more Pokémon; every from this one spot, Alaska could see Zubat flocking amongst the treetops, Spearow resting on some branches while Hoothoot chirped from others, with a Butterfree floating in between, staring down at Alaska and her –

Wait. Hang on a second…

"Butterfree?"

Alaska sat bolt upright. She frantically looked around for the Butterfree but the dark clearing had vanished, replaced by the sunburnt deck of the military frigate. There was a commotion behind her and within seconds a sea of faces surrounded her, Paige and Darwin and Leaf and Kris and Nadia and Frances, but Alaska couldn't see Butterfree amongst them.

"You had us worried there for a while," Kris said, dropping to her knees and putting a hand to Alaska's forehead.

"How long was I out for?" Alaska's temple shuddered at Kris' touch, the human contact snapping her mind awake and opening itself up to a rush of thoughts. Alaska tried to resist them, wanting to hang onto her dream or flashback or hallucination, whatever that had been, but her body had woken up as well and realised it was cold and wet, her clothes soaked through, and her back and chest felt stiffer than ever, and why did her shins of all things hurt like fuck, and –

I think we should give her some space.

Kris, Leaf, all the assembled Pokémon stepped backwards, and Alaska smiled gratefully at Latios. Didn't I ask if that was safe?

Didn't I tell you it wasn't?
Latios seemed to smirk as he cast his eyes across Alaska. It's not unusual to take a while to adjust. One of my old trainers fell off and crashed metres onto solid earth. It took his village months to get him back to full health. At least you crashed into the water.

"I fell off a few times in the early days, didn't I?" Kris said, turning to Latias, who nodded, her eyes glistening with fond memories.

"As pleasing as it is to hear that everyone makes the same mistakes as I do, that doesn't really help me heal, does it?"

"Just be grateful your alive," Leaf said, rolling her eyes. "I could hear the slap you made when you hit the water, you would have been knocked out instantly."

Alaska would have been out of it by the time she had actually submerged but her tense, bruised body was a sure clue as to how much it would have hurt. "Well, isn't that what the gods are for, reaching out and picking us out of the water?"

We did not rescue you, Latios said, floating down to her level and gesturing the prow of the boat. Shelley did.

The crowd parted, but Alaska was not sure why. She could not see Shelley anywhere; her eyes darted across the metal floor, looking for the purple shell, but even with Shelley's size she was nowhere to be seen. The only thing Alaska spotted was a hint of pink out of the corner of her eye, and she looked up more out of curiosity than expectation.

A Slowbro met her gaze. Alaska recognised the Pokémon instantly; she once had a teacher about four years ago who made students sit in a 'dunce's corner' if they misbehaved. The distant, gormless gaze of a Slowbro had become very familiar to Alaska over that year, alongside the more attentive, aggressive eyes that stared threateningly out from the base of the tail.

The story that the tail was actually a Shellder, and their bite was what induced the evolution in Slowpoke, had never sat right with Alaska. It had always felt like one of those stories children told, like how Spoink died if they stopped bouncing or that if you studied too hard you'd turn into Kadabra. Yet Alaska now had to question just how many of those stories were true as she limped towards the waiting Slowbro. The pink, fleshy creature watched her without much interest, staring at her and through her at the same time, but the eyes on its tail tracked Alaska's approach, the sinister gaze softening as she got closer.

Hello Alaska.

Alaska's breath caught in her throat. She stumbled to her knees and had to crawl the last few feet. The Slowbro paid her no attention but Shelley started to cry, tears streaming down the spiralled crevices in her shell, and it took all of Alaska's willpower not to weep herself.

"I'm so annoyed at you!"

What? W-w-why?

"You evolved without telling me!"

Shelley laughed faintly inside Alaska's head. Did I evolve? My body changed, but is this evolution?

"Yes, of course it is. I mean, I assume so?" Alaska looked back at the others for assistance.

Leaf pulled a sleek red tablet out of her pocket and started tapping at the screen. "Dex says that it's an evolution that is symbiotic and parasitic in its origins. Shellder that are unable to evolve in Cloyster latch onto passing Slowpoke, either on their tail or heads, and a chemical reaction in the bite induces evolution in the Slowpoke that feeds back into the Shellder."

So… I am a parasite?

"No, no, of course not!" Alaska said, shooting daggers at Leaf.

The gym leader held her hands up defensively but gave Alaska a curt nod. "We'll leave you two to catch up," she said, glancing across at Kris.

"Totally, of course. We can pick up training another time." She smiled awkwardly and followed Leaf back towards the interior. Latias watched her trainer depart but did not follow, instead floating back into the atmosphere, moving like a balloon that had just been released.

I will leave you as well, Latios said, meeting Alaska's eye as he copied his sister's movements. We will talk later.

Alaska smiled back at him; if she had known it would take a near-drowning to get her some privacy, she would have jumped off the deck hours ago. We will need to talk, Mister 'Just Trust Me'. That little dream I just had wasn't a dream, was it?

A memory from another time, one I thought you needed to see.

Alaska's smile turned to a glower; what exactly was he implying this time? She wanted to unpack all she had seen, but her thoughts suddenly felt still, and Alaska realised she could hear no one but herself. All the whispers had vanished; all Alaska could hear now was the gentle churning of the ocean against their boat, and the faint breathing of all her Pokémon.

Now that they were alone, Alaska realised they were all watching her. Paige from her perch on the railing, Darwin, Nadia and Frances from a small group beside her, Bluebell from a small patch of shade she'd marked out on her own. Even the Slowbro was watching her, though Alaska couldn't read anything from its gaze. Its? What gender is it? Is it even mine? Is it Shelley or is it another Pokémon?

He has his own name
. Alaska jumped as Shelley's words interrupted her thoughts, and she let her attention fall back to the tail. I can't tell you what it is. The names Pokémon give each other have no place in your tongue.

So it is a he? That can work – Shelley doesn't have to be a girl's name, does it?

Well, I still don't know if we are the same entity. What that girl said is true; I do feel like a parasite. I didn't want to do this, but when I hit the water with you, I knew I had to do something, and Szlooo – I mean, this Slowpoke was coming by, and it seemed like…
Shelley trailed off, fresh tears flowing down her face.

"And you did do the right thing!" Alaska leant across and pulled the shell-encrusted tail towards her, letting it droop onto her lap. "I can't thank you enough for saving me. To put yourself through this for me… that is such a huge debt, I have no idea how I'll ever repay it. I just…" Alaska paused, regrouping her thoughts before she carried on. Something wet hit her already damp pants, and she had to bite her lips when she realised it was Shelley's tears. "I just hope you don't regret it."

Regret? No, no, of course not. I am so glad to have evolved, and to do it for you means everything. You rescued me, Alaska, you gave me this life. This evolution… it is strange, I am not sure how to feel or what to do, but to do it for you feels necessary.

"Rescued you? How did I rescue you?"

Shelley laughed quietly. Do you know how Shellder live? We are born on the ocean floors, and it takes months for our shells to harden and our tongues to become strong enough to let us move. During that time, a Cloyster or group of them look after us. I don't know how it came to be like this, but my guardian used to tell us tales of how Shellder used to be able to evolve on our own, but we became lazy and complacent when we learnt to cling onto Slowpoke instead.

Shellder only evolve on their own now when we find gems on the seafloor, but those have become rarer ever since trainers started using them for their Pokémon. If we want to evolve, we have to be caught or find a Slowpoke.

Alaska cast her thoughts back weeks to when she and Sandy were washed up on Route 13. "Your mother – sorry, guardian – gave you to us."

She had been hoping to find me a trainer for some time, and then you appeared and it felt like fate.

"Fate?" The word felt sour in Alaska's mouth. "But did she not want you to become a Cloyster as well?"

She wanted me to travel and experience the world beyond the little pool of rocks we all lived in. It does not matter now what she or I wanted me to evolve into, this is how it must be and therefore how it should be.

"Aren't you worried about what you are missing out on? The life you could have lived otherwise if you had evolved into a Cloyster, or found another trainer, or –"

Why are you asking me this? Shelley asked, her voice pitched and shaking. Do you not like me like this? Are you regretting catching me?

Alaska felt sick at the thought. "No, absolutely not! I'd never think that. You've done so much for me, all of you have, I would never change that."

And neither would I. I would not want to even if I could. I never would have fought before the gods or ridden on the back of one if I had not met you. I meant what I said you did rescue me, and I will always be grateful for this journey you've taken me on.

Alaska had no words. She suddenly felt very cold, a chill that had nothing to do with her still damp clothes. Utterly speechless, she bent over so her whole body seemed to encase Shelley and she hugged tight. Alaska didn't care that her shell was hard and jagged, points and notches across the surface digging into her skin; she preserved and let the pain envelop her.

A sudden breeze swept across Alaska, and she smiled as she felt Paige's wings wrap around her. Months had passed since they had held each other on the side of that mountain, but Paige still knew when Alaska needed her.

The floor beneath them shuddered, and Alaska looked up as Nadia lumbered towards them. She smiled in her gruff but friendly way and threw an arm around the Slowbro – Shelley, Alaska had to remind herself. Her newly acquired Pokémon showed no emotion about the embrace, his eyes moving slowly between Nadia, Paige and Frances, who seemed to have scuttled over in Nadia's shadow.

Alaska wanted to savour this moment for what it was, but her gaze could not help but towards the two outliers. Darwin looked moody and unrepentant as he rested against the railing, staring out at the ocean as though the gathering was not happening just metres away. Bluebell looked more uneasy, tossing her mane and trying to look away in indifference despite nervously trotting in circles as if resentful of being left out.

"Gee!" Paige squawked, making the Ponyta jump.

She cast Paige a haughty look, but with all eyes watching her, Bluebell slowly wobbled towards the group. Paige unfurled a wing from Alaska and stretched it out; Bluebell seemed so alarmed she froze where she was, looking at each Pokémon in turn as if they were seeing this as well. She approached with caution, but the moment Paige had enveloped her, Bluebell seemed to sink into her feathery grip.

Alaska wasn't sure if she should laugh or cry. Both emotions were fighting to get out, and she was certain she was on the verge of some sort of breakdown, tears and laughter ready to pour from her in a hysterical double act. The one thing that might push her over the edge would be Darwin joining in as well, and Alaska was for once thankful for his resentment.

She watched him, this stoic creature an anchor for her emotions. The scars were healing but were still visible, harsh red and pink marks that shone through his fur. Alaska thought back to the Mankey she had seen in her dream, those tiny hands silently working to try and assemble the tent, and finally, her dam broke.

I'm sorry for what you went through. I'm sorry I didn't notice you sooner. I'm sorry that I will never be able to stop apologising, but I hope you know what you mean to me.

Her tears fell silently, but her Pokémon still noticed; Alaska managed a single laugh as they all moved in closer – Bluebell dragged by Paige – and she opened her arms wide to fit them all in. Yet before their circle had closed, the second before Nadia's frame had blocked him out, Alaska saw Darwin finally turn around, his eyes heavy with longing as he gazed towards them.

Night forced Alaska inside. She could have stayed out there forever, nestled in the embrace of her Pokémon, but forever did not account for warm clothes and warmer meals. Alaska had not eaten all day and was fast feeling famished as well as frozen, the night air a chilling reminder that she had never truly dried her clothes. Even then, she would have gladly slept on the deck, a starving shell of a person slowly freezing to death, rather than face what waited her inside.

The voice called to her the second Alaska stepped inside. It had been a persistent whisper for hours now, a murmur at the back of her head that was impossible to ignore. Even now with all the other voices – Leaf, Janine, Looker, Emily, all the rest – crying out from the distance, it was Sandy's voice that still insisted on being heard the loudest.

Alaska wanted to ignore it as she had all day. Everything she could hear – the grief, the suffering, the pain – was suffocating her, strangling her own thoughts and memories like a toxic weed growing around her brain. Yet Alaska knew it was a seed she'd helped to plant, one only she could pull out.

She instead ignored her grumbling stomach and the voices that would lead her towards the mess hall and turned towards the dorm rooms. There were still no signs or any guidance to help her through the identical maze of corridors, only the anguished cry of a friend unaware she was even calling out. Alaska knew she was getting closer because the pull of Sandy's thoughts got stronger and louder with each step; soon there were memories that filled her vision, flashes of Caterpie, Metapod, Butterfree superimposed over the corridor.

Suddenly, there was a flash of red mist and a phantom explosion that reverberated through Alaska's head. She paused and stared at her hands, expecting them to be dripping with blood. I don't think I can do this.

You can, and you have to.

Alaska stared at the ceiling, pretending the whining florescent light was Latios. How? How am I meant to comfort her when I have no idea what to say?

You will find the words. When your eyes meet and your memories flow back to you, you will know what to say.

It's my fault that Butterfree died. If Sandy had never met me –

How do you know what would have happened to Sandy? How do you know it is your fault that any of this happened? You talk and act as though everything revolves around you, that people make their choices to suit you, but others are as capable of making decisions as you are.

Alaska knew what was he referring to, even though she had been trying to pretend otherwise for hours. That Butterfree I saw… I thought I had imagined it.

Everything you saw was a memory we share, simply from another perspective. None of it was imagined.

Well, then that means she wasn't the only one following me around back then.

Somehow, Alaska knew Latios was smiling. I was too weak then, and I knew it was too early in your journey to place the truth of our journey on your shoulders. I simply watched and waited, trying to get a grasp on the person you would become.

Imagine how different things would be if I had just looked up.

Indeed. Would it be for the best though? I do not think so. You needed something more in your journey before you could have accepted me.

Like what? Battle experience? A few more brushes with death? A tougher resistance to blisters?

Guidance.

Alaska felt the air relax around her and knew she was alone. "Typical," she muttered, though for once, Latios' vague philosophical urgings had done some good. As Sandy's voice resumed pride of place at the forefront of her thoughts, Alaska let the grief flow through her, accepting the signals and letting them guide her towards her friend.

Doors passed in a blur, the corridor turning dark even as the whining lights continued to flicker indiscriminately above. The whole world seemed to vanish as if drowned out by Sandy's anguish, the corridor barely visible under the wave of memories Alaska was unable to ignore. She wanted to turn and run from them, leave the problem for someone less volatile and guilt-ridden to deal with, but Alaska urged herself onwards until she was blind with phantom emotions that consumed her entirely. She stopped and turned, and knew she had found the right door.

Alaska did not hesitate, least she baulk at the final hurdle. She turned the handle, preparing herself for a fresh assault of sorrow, but the door opened on an utterly dark room and everything fell silent. The voices vanished; all Alaska could hear was the soft tap of the door hitting the wall, followed by a rustle from within the cabin and a creak of springs.

"Alaska?" Sandy's voice had sounded so solid and angry in Alaska's head, but in reality, it was soft and cracked, the hoarse tones of someone who had spent the whole day crying.

"Yeah," Alaska offered weakly. She stepped inside but left the light off. Her eyes were adjusting, faint shapes appearing out of the gloom, but Alaska could not bring herself to look Sandy direct in the eye.

She moved slowly towards the bunk beds and sank to the floor so her head rested on the mattress. Sandy had slumped back down, her back turned against the door and away from Alaska. It was how she had been, but Alaska still took it as a rebuke.

"Sandy, I –" Fuck. Alaska had spent ages walking here, she knew what she wanted to say, but the words just wouldn't form. How was she supposed to vocalise her sympathy and remorse in a way that felt genuine without making it all about herself?

There was so much Alaska wanted to apologise for. For dragging Sandy and Butterfree into this. For not looking out for them. For fighting and pouting and stewing. For letting them be kidnapped. For not stopping Gideon or Amanda or Buzz when she should have. For not finding her earlier. For creating and facilitating the circumstances that put them in the firing line and made them a target worth bringing down.

They were all things that needed to be said, but none of them would bring Butterfree back. The same Butterfree Alaska and her team had trained and battled against so many times. The Butterfree Alaska had exiled one of her own Pokémon over. The first real challenge Paige had ever had. The same Butterfree who, all those months ago, had watched Alaska weep over a broken tent, just to tell her trainer what was happening.

"I've never told you how much you mean to me. I mean, I've said words to that effect before, but I only ever seem to say it after we've been fighting, which kind of makes it feel forced and insincere.

"But I have always meant it, every single time. And that's because you saved my life. I was going mad before I met you. The first time, not just at Mount Moon. My body was broken, my mind was going the same way. My first week in the wild had been spent battling little boys with less of a clue what they were doing then I had, and I was losing faith in myself and the system.

"And then you fell into my life and showed me a different world. One that was more positive and hopeful than the one I was living in. You challenged me, you nearly beat me, and then still kept on smiling, and even after all we saw that day, all you wanted to do was lay back and watch the stars.

"You gave me the boost I needed to find Brock and kick his ass, and once that high had vanished, you returned and helped me find it again. And, ever since then, you've always been there to push me back on the right path, even when I was so intent on running screaming in the opposite direction.

"I don't want to call it fate. I am so sick of talking about that and destiny, as though what happened yesterday was supposed to happen for some greater good. Because it shouldn't have happened, it didn't need to happen, and I am so sorry and so angry and so fucked off that it did.

"But something Shelley said before made me realise. All this time I've spent wallowing in my own self-pity, wondering how things could have been different, I never realised that a different life would mean all these missed connections. Darwin would still be swinging around outside Viridian. Frances would be cowering in a crack in the wall. Nadia would be waiting for someone to rescue her. Onix would still be roaring and screaming looking for someone to guide him. And you and I would have never met.

"I wish I could change things. I wish I had never met Gideon at the museum or had tried to fight that Beedrill. I wish I had turned down Chloe's offer and just focused on my own journey and not been so fucking spiteful. Yet I am happy to spend the rest of my life, however long that is, regretting all those terrible choices and fearing everything that's coming, because this is the only timeline I know for certain where I got to meet you. I love you, Sandy, and I promise to kill the bastards who have ever hurt you because of that fact."

Alaska stood up, ready to leave and let Sandy be at peace, but the second she moved a hand grabbed her arm. Alaska paused and dropped back to her knees, swivelling so she was facing Sandy. It was too dark to see her properly, and Alaska wasn't sure if she was about to get hugged or hit, but she waited and watched Sandy as leant into the light coming in from the hallway, her eyes glistening in the glow.

"I don't know if you had that planned or if that was one of your patented impromptu spiels, but you just came in here, spat all that out, and ignored one simple fact." Sandy leant closer so her forehead touched Alaska's, and she stared deeply into her eyes. "Since when did Shelley talk?"

Alaska sniggered before she even knew she was laughing, and she cackled before she could stop herself. Sandy smiled, weakly at first, but within seconds was laughing with her. The two sat there, heads touching, laughing until they cried, crying until they were sobbing, sobbing until they were laughing again. Their arms fell around each other, both pulling the other into a suffocating grip, and they collapsed onto the bed and howled into each other's faces, moans and jeers and tears and laughter pooling together into one impossible cacophony indecipherable and nonsensical to everyone but them.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom