• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to Enlarge Sprites in Paint

Blazaking

Former Staff Artist
Reaction score
Alot of people who use paint for sprite related things have always wondered what the best way to enlarge sprites was. Most people would just tell them to get another program to do it. But I have recently discovered a very simple way to properly enlarge sprites in Paint. Here is an animation explaining how to:

attachment.php

See how simple it is? You can also shrink the sprites back by pressing Ctrl + Num-

Note: If this has already been discovered, then please ignore my stupidity.​

Didn't know about this feature (MS Paint has a handful of badly documented features), but this doesn't really help the fact that MS Paint is a BAD image editor. It doesn't support transparency, it doesn't support layers, it doesn't support animated GIF or PNG, it doesn't support selection of JPG compression quality, etc.

never knew that. I just usually zoom in...

Didn't know about this feature (MS Paint has a handful of badly documented features), but this doesn't really help the fact that MS Paint is a BAD image editor. It doesn't support transparency, it doesn't support layers, it doesn't support animated GIF or PNG, it doesn't support selection of JPG compression quality, etc.

Yes but, most people use Paint for splicing or recoloring sprites.

Well... Until i get Photoshop, i'm stuck using Paint...

Well many of us use Paint for splices and recolours, and I'm one of them. And yeah, tnx for the hint, Blazaking :)

I only use paint for Sprites. Everything else just gets in the way for me... Sure making GIFs requires a few more steps and some extra programs but I never felt I needed PS or GIMP to make sprites...

This shortcut does not work on older Paint programs
If you have an older version of paint you can just select what you want to inlarge.
Click Image on the top toolbar
Then click Stretch/Skew
Then change the 2 values at the top to 200%

I only use paint for Sprites. Everything else just gets in the way for me... Sure making GIFs requires a few more steps and some extra programs but I never felt I needed PS or GIMP to make sprites...

This shortcut does not work on older Paint programs
If you have an older version of paint you can just select what you want to inlarge.
Click Image on the top toolbar
Then click Stretch/Skew
Then change the 2 values at the top to 200%
I feel the same way. Paint seems much faster and easier to use when dealing with sprites.

How much older versions? Do you mean ones before XP? I'm pretty sure most people have XP or better. And for people who don't, you can just download Paint off the internet.

Figured that out a few years back.
D:

Back
Top Bottom