• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to Fix the Ice Type

Instead of "fixing" the ice type, let's just make it the first town/gym. Would make sense if we're in a cold Germanic/Nordic region (which seems kinda likely since it'll be next to Kalos and is also where Lillie is likely to be from).

Instead of "fixing" the ice type, let's just make it the first town/gym. Would make sense if we're in a cold Germanic/Nordic region (which seems kinda likely since it'll be next to Kalos and is also where Lillie is likely to be from).
I mean, that doesn't really help it competitively. And I'm pretty sure that's what most people have a problem with.

Well there are many other types to chose from. If the concept for Ice types don't work competitively for you then don't use it.

Well there are many other types to chose from. If the concept for Ice types don't work competitively for you then don't use it.

That's not a kind thing to say... what if your favourite Type became bad competitively, and you start a similar thread, and someone gave you this reply?

It is very fair for Ice type enthusiasts to say how to improve their favourite type. This is not an excuse to make a type very bad. Ideally, GF should ensure that every type is used equally and no type is lacklustre.

EDIT: your post also comes off as rude to those who love Ice types.

Last edited:
Sorry bout being rude. >.< Well, from how I see it, types are designed with specific concepts and ideas in mind. Asking for it to be changed to suit your competitive needs doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

Sorry bout being rude. >.< Well, from how I see it, types are designed with specific concepts and ideas in mind. Asking for it to be changed to suit your competitive needs doesn't sound very reasonable to me.

This thread isn't asking for any unfair changes. Most of the changes provided are just as well as make sense logically.

IMO, Ice should now resist water, dragon and ground, as well as flying. We also need a frail and fast Ice type. Alolan Ninetales looks like a step in the right direction.

Introducing a new type is different from changing the lore of a particular type. I think adding resistance/effectiveness is too much of a change. Then again, I don't play competitively at all so I don't really have an opinion on this. I just thought if the Ice type is so weak now then maybe they can place it as the first town. I never really got why they kept having it as one of the last gyms.

I don't think concepts of types have to change. But when something is so out-of-balance, one needs to re-evaluate how the type might fit in. I mean, why include a type that can't be used at all? If there were a type weak to everything and strong against nothing, obviously it wouldn't be good competitively. And so, if it's going to fall into disuse, why should they even bother making new Pokémon of that type?

Ice isn't the worst. It just draws the short straw when it comes to defensive match-ups. It resists literally nothing. You could argue that ice as a type is then meant to be more offensive, but then why would they keep making defense-oriented Pokémon like Avalugg, if that's the case?

It sort of has the opposite problem bug has. While ice resists almost nothing, poor bug is resisted by almost everything. Like, when they revealed the fairy type and I saw that it resisted bug, I got very mad. Bug is one of my favorites, and it's very hard to use because of its shortcomings. And similar to this thread talking about ice, I would like some changes to be made to fix it.

I don't think concepts of types have to change. But when something is so out-of-balance, one needs to re-evaluate how the type might fit in. I mean, why include a type that can't be used at all? If there were a type weak to everything and strong against nothing, obviously it wouldn't be good competitively. And so, if it's going to fall into disuse, why should they even bother making new Pokémon of that type?

Ice isn't the worst. It just draws the short straw when it comes to defensive match-ups. It resists literally nothing. You could argue that ice as a type is then meant to be more offensive, but then why would they keep making defense-oriented Pokémon like Avalugg, if that's the case?

It sort of has the opposite problem bug has. While ice resists almost nothing, poor bug is resisted by almost everything. Like, when they revealed the fairy type and I saw that it resisted bug, I got very mad. Bug is one of my favorites, and it's very hard to use because of its shortcomings. And similar to this thread talking about ice, I would like some changes to be made to fix it.
Don't forget Grass. Resisted by seven types and weak to five.

Fairy resisting Bug makes no sense, but that's Game Freak for you...

Introducing a new type is different from changing the lore of a particular type. I think adding resistance/effectiveness is too much of a change.
In that case, why not look at the changes that occurred from Gen 1 to Gen 2? Poison was strong against and weak to Bug in Gen 1, but dealt neutral damage and resisted it in Gen 2. Or how about Gen 6, where Steel stopped resisting Ghost and Dark? Changing a type's current matchups for better balance isn't an unreasonable request-it's something that's already been done before.
I just thought if the Ice type is so weak now then maybe they can place it as the first town. I never really got why they kept having it as one of the last gyms.
Placement in the story doesn't really determine a type's strength, especially when the order switches from region to region. (Water has been the last gym in two regions, the second in one, and the fourth in another) Besides, nobody said gyms even have to specialize in one type anyways-The Striaton trio and Blue show that much.

The type chart doesn't really need changing that much, it's the Pokémon. Look at the two Ice-types that are considered the best in competitive play- Weavile and Mamoswine. Due to high Speed and Attack stats, these have been major revenge killers ever since their introduction. The problem is that too many Ice-types are bulky and slow- the two real glass cannons (although the latter has decent bulk) play fantastically, and if more Ice-type Pokémon were built like that, it would have a less terrible reputation.

a ice oriented region where thre would be 5 or 10 new ice types and a legendary may help.
I could imagine not a ice gym, but all 8 gyms using one or more pokemon with secondary ice typing.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom