• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to get friend code/connection problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Anwyn

I want to b the very best
Reaction score
I recently got my 1st gen VI game, SS, and I was wondering how do I get my friend code. I have a Pal Pad and every time I try and talk to the assistants downstairs in a pokemon centre I manage to get into the Nintendo Wi-Fi Club but then I get Error 51099.

Please help.

Re: How to get friend code

You have to have a wi-fi in order to get your friend code. Otherwise, you can't get it.

By wi-fi do you just mean a wireless internet connection (sorry i'm not very IT smart)

Yes, and there also has to be on a WEP (I think) setting.

ok i have wi-fi then and what is WEP setting?

^ it is short for Wireless Ecrption Password or passcode.

basically, it is like a fire wall for your wi-fi. you must put in the code in your Nintendo Wi-fi connection setting whe you start up your game (or in the actual settings themselves if you're using a DSi) you should have one from your service provider. keep in mind, though, not everyone nessecarily has one. I'm just saying if you have one, what to do with it.

ok is the WEP the same as the passphrase?

it's 8 characters long. If this isn't it where do I find my WEP key?

Last edited:
it's 8 characters long. If this isn't it where do I find my WEP key?

A WEP key is also 8 characters long, so that sounds about right. However, it could also just be your IP Address you are getting confused with, your subnet mask, or a list of things it might not be, so let me just walk you through how to get it quickly.

Click Start, go to Run and type in 'cmd'. When the logbox opens up type in 'ipconfig/all'.
There, if done successfully, a list of digits and the like will appear. Note down the 8 digit number next to IP Address. Type those numbers, including the .'s into your Internet Browser. Then, you will be redirected to your routers homepage. Straight on the mainpage should be a line that states 'WAN IP' or 'WEP IP'. For you, hopefully, it should say WEP. The number next to it is your WEP.

Hope this helps, please post if you need more help finding it.

This is what I get on the 1st page, obv with info starred out

Basic Settings

Network Configuration
WAN IP Address **.***.***.***
Duration D: ** H: ** M: ** S: **
Expires Sun Nov ** **:**:** ****
WAN Subnet Mask ***.***.***.*
WAN Default Gateway **.***.***.*
WAN Primary DNS ***.***.*.***
WAN Secondary DNS ***.***.*.***

seeing as there is no WEP there i'm guessing i cant use the friend code feature on SS =[

This is probably the most ironic/useless help I've ever given someone on the Tech Help forum, and I do apologise, but here goes;

I too have a WAP address rather than a WEP address, but I'm on Wi-Fi almost daily. :p
When inserting your Wi-Fi connection setup information in to your DS, sometimes you can get by with just your SSID.

Again, put your IP Address in to your browser and find a box of information that says 'WLAN Settings'. There, should be a line with your SSID and the name of it. Punch that name in to your DS and save it and test. It's very chancey, but I have a further suggestion afterwards.

Nope that doesn't work, I get Error Code: 51100

Okay. I know how we can fix this.

Once more, and hopefully for the last time ever, go to your routers homepage (using your IP Address) and go to the Security tab. Your computer, given that you are on a WPA connection should say WPA or WPA-PSK in terms of Security Mode. Simply change it to 64b WEP or 128 WEP. 128 WEP will probably be better for you. You mentioned knowing your passphrase earlier, so simply put that when it asks you it, if you still remember. If not, hex-generating one is also fine. Ensure you have anti-viruses or firewalls up whilst doing this to be safe. Also, if you have a utility like most Belkin or Linksys routers do, ensure you modify that appropriately too.

Ok, I got all that only thing is this is a student house, so there r 4 of us all using the internet so will I have to tell them about the change or will it go unnoticed?

I'm actually thinking it may go unnoticed, but play it safe and let them know just incase? *Paradox*

hmmmm ok thanks, but my Internet at home is WAP protected and I cant changed that to WEP so does any1 know if the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector thing is any good?

I personally have never used the Wi-Fi USB Connector, so you'd have to ask someone who uses it, but I'm not sure of anyone who does. I hear there are a lot of issues with it, but it works flawlessly for some.

hmmmm ok thanks, but my Internet at home is WAP protected and I cant changed that to WEP so does any1 know if the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector thing is any good?

I am not sure about the WAP or WEP, but most likely, if the USB Connector is installed well then it works okay.
But some things. I am not sure, as I am not an expert. The connector worked well and I used it before my family got the wifi router. And be careful when installing it... Some computers don't recognize the USB Connector and instead treats it "foreign" (?). In other words, the connector doesn't work even when installed. After I changed my computer, I couldn't use the Connector, and I now instead rely on the wireless router.
Before installing it, set a recovery point so that you can just return your computer to its original state. I had to do that after attempting to install the USB Connector in my new PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom