• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to get started to the manga

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I want to read the manga but it is too complicated as it seems now. There are two of Leaf as manga character, a lot of Blue and Red and aside Ash... I am guessing they are not related to each other (such as Pokémon Generations/Pokémon Origins) but how should I categorize the manga series and decide which to read next etc? They seem too complicated to bear with.

I don't like Manga and reality Manga, or filler they are the same as long as the episode in the anime is good.

• Staff
I don't like Manga and reality Manga, or filler they are the same as long as the episode in the anime is good.
Isn't manga more mature compared to the anime series? I feel disappointed with the anime as a whole but manga series seem to be more related to the games. I have hope in manga, at least.

Isn't manga more mature compared to the anime series? I feel disappointed with the anime as a whole but manga series seem to be more related to the games. I have hope in manga, at least.

Well, even if the manga are related to the games, I don't think that pokemon are really should be related to the games. Yes, sometimes yes, sometimes no. There are general rules that they should not betrayed such as the powerful attack cannot be learned easily, not like that giga impact, and outrage out of nowhere.

And I do don't like manga in all animes, and don't care about who is the writer as long as the episode will be good. Yes, the pokemon is mostly you feel disappoint sometimes when you see it, but really even without manga if they made the episode properly then thats fine. I do enjoy episodes, and hate episode. als, when I see manga I really feel bored

I want to read the manga but it is too complicated as it seems now. There are two of Leaf as manga character, a lot of Blue and Red and aside Ash... I am guessing they are not related to each other (such as Pokémon Generations/Pokémon Origins) but how should I categorize the manga series and decide which to read next etc? They seem too complicated to bear with.

There are many mangas. A popular one is Pokémon Adventures.

Well, Pokemon Adventures (or its JP name, Pokemon Special) is the most well known manga among the fanbase, and is the manga pretty much most people refer to as, "the manga." It's nicknamed "PokeSpe" (the anime has one, too, which is PokeAni).

There is no Ash Ketchum or anyone from the anime in PokeSpe, it's its own canon with rotating heroes depending on the arc.

Which manga are you talking about? If you want to start somewhere, I say start from the very beginning of Adventures and let the story unfold. For the English version (and only version), rival character is Blue and female character is Green. Red starts off pretty much like Ash in terms of personality. And enjoy the adventure while you can, because this was where the Special manga was simple and fun. No overly complicated plot or character arcs that it will later become known for.

So, Manga is about Red, yes?
Is there manga about Ash also?
It doesn't make a difference, Red's never really the exact same character in every canon anyway so the name doesn't really matter.

The manga where the Red character is called Satoshi are Dengeki Pikachu (loosely based on the anime but pretty original in its own right), Pocket Monsters Zensho (directly based on the Red, Green and Blue games), Satoshi and Pikachu (a bit more based on the anime but still loose), Pocket Monsters Diamond & Pearl (based on the DP anime, but only features Satoshi and Hikari, who isn't a Coordinator, and only original stories). and the movie manga adaptations.

If you want to follow a manga that is just as large as the anime, just read Pocket Monsters Special (Pokemon Adventures), doesn't matter if Red isn't called Satoshi. I don't see how it's difficult to get started with a manga nor how it's confusing. Just pick a single title and stick with it.

And I do don't like manga in all animes, and don't care about who is the writer as long as the episode will be good. Yes, the pokemon is mostly you feel disappoint sometimes when you see it, but really even without manga if they made the episode properly then thats fine. I do enjoy episodes, and hate episode. als, when I see manga I really feel bored
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Last edited:

If you're talking about the Adventures series, I wouldn't call it more mature exactly. I feel like fans glorify the Adventures series a bit too much in that regard. It is more intense than the anime normally gets, but it's not really more mature per say. They're still aimed at kids at the end of the day.

If you want to follow the Adventures series, starting off with the R/B/G arc should be good. It's only three volumes so you can get through it pretty quickly and see how you feel about continuing it. I don't know if you could read further into the series since most of them to tie back to previous arcs. You could possibly read the B/W arc since that was pretty stand alone-like, although I don't know if that would be the best starting spot considering its cliffhanger ending.

Did they ever started to do more work on the B2/W2 arc for Adventures? I think I read that the second volume of that series was coming out in English next year, but I haven't heard anything about that arc for ages.

If you're talking about the Adventures series, I wouldn't call it more mature exactly. I feel like fans glorify the Adventures series a bit too much in that regard. It is more intense than the anime normally gets, but it's not really more mature per say. They're still aimed at kids at the end of the day.

If you want to follow the Adventures series, starting off with the R/B/G arc should be good. It's only three volumes so you can get through it pretty quickly and see how you feel about continuing it. I don't know if you could read further into the series since most of them to tie back to previous arcs. You could possibly read the B/W arc since that was pretty stand alone-like, although I don't know if that would be the best starting spot considering its cliffhanger ending.

Did they ever started to do more work on the B2/W2 arc for Adventures? I think I read that the second volume of that series was coming out in English next year, but I haven't heard anything about that arc for ages.

I barely read it, but it seems to lack many of the problems the anime have.
It's not a cyclical story that ends nowhere.
Red won a League.
Older characters are brought back.
Etc...

From what I understand, they release stuff from time to time, but i haven't read any of those chapters, and it's still very little.

If you think Pokemon Adventures has way too much content to keep up with, I suggest you try reading the Ruby and Sapphire arc. That arc covers the original Hoenn story, and it can be read as a separate chapter without having to know everything about Red and Yellow and Gold. It's a good starting point imo.

I barely read it, but it seems to lack many of the problems the anime have.
It's not a cyclical story that ends nowhere.
Red won a League.
Older characters are brought back.
Etc...

Red won a tournament through some strange circumstance (involving Professor Oak being the Masked Royal precursor forfeiting his rank and Green losing the tournament), and it has been quite a pain to keep track of everybody and every event with a timeline that has been going back and forth instead of a linear chronological order.

Make no mistake, it has problems. It is best for newcomers to start with a manga that doesn't have continuity baggage so they would not get completely overwhelmed by all the references and what nots.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom