• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to Spot A Bootleg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it have any text on its belly or back? The official figures always have a copyright text in them, unless they're really, really small.

Does it have any text on its belly or back? The official figures always have a copyright text in them, unless they're really, really small.

yea it says tomy, made in china and it says Nintendo on the belly, it also came with snivy, and servine and they came with these weird little cards with there pics. snivy and servine came with little stands as well

yea it says tomy, made in china and it says Nintendo on the belly, it also came with snivy, and servine and they came with these weird little cards with there pics. snivy and servine came with little stands as well
I was wondering if it would be the Tomy figure. In that case, I'm 99% sure your figure is legit.

The bootlegs are usually not as soft as the legitimate ones. The real ones use a nice but tough plush so kids (and me) can snuggle them. The bootlegs use cheaper stuff that's coarser. Sometimes the dye is less vibrant too.

real tomy Blastoise left and bootleg right, and bootleg of a bootleg last
IMG693.jpg

The rule with figures (and plushes, less often) is that if it's on-model, it's very likely legit.

IMG688.jpg Here we have two Kadabra figures, the one the left is the Tomy figure and the one on the Right is bootleg. I noticed that the Tomy Kadabra has a glossy shine with small shades of white, the star on his head and lines on stomach are pink. tomy, kanji symbols etc and company markings are on his tail. as for the bootleg it is a plain yellow, star is red instead of pink major give away is the tomy and company markings are on tail but not as deeply imprinted and also marked tomy a second time on his back. I doubt any tomy figure word mark the words tomy twice on the figure

Hey I have an Exadrill that does NOT Even look like one. It's Drill Claws are completely not right, nIt is not even the Same Color and it has like NO Legs at all.

The ones that do come in some form of packaging are equally as easy to spot

2lk73af.jpg

Check out Hell's PokeMart for more examples, or if you just need some laughs.

Why does Ash have Sailor Moon's hair? Did they even care what franchise they were ripping off?

I clicked on Hell's Pokemart and those things were horrifying. The best was Pika-Cthulhu.

Last month I purchased a Giratina plush from a small toy store. I actually got kind of nervous about it being a fake, so I brought it to a friend. My friend (the same one who bought the bootleg Cubchoo) said that she was pretty sure that it was legit - all the tags were right. She's able to tell pretty easily now.

Last edited:
Based on the location of the item, I'd say that's a legit Servine plush from Nintendo World in NYC. Somebody bought it just to put it on ebay most likely.

I was thinking of getting this:

Nintendo Pokemon B W Plush TOY Servine Jyanobii Snivy Collectible Soft Doll | eBay

Can anybody tell me what this one is like? I like the proportions on it. A few more photos would be nice too. It's not an obvious fake to me, but I did see that exact fake Servine plastic figure while searching for it XD

This is a bootleg seller. They use stock art for most of the images, and from looking through their store, a lot of their products appear bootlegged. If you go through their feedback, they have a few that say variations of "item was not as described".

But anyway, the Nintendo World plush are pretty awesome, I have a ton of them myself from past visits :) I don't have the second stage ones, but if I remember right, they were a bit larger than the other plush. The fabric is very soft (I think it's velboa, but someone correct me if I'm wrong here!) Here is a legit one from the vending machines in Washington (same plushes as NW, Epcot).

EDIT: Ordered a Servine Plush last night, will post when it arrives. Which is apparently 26th Aug or so. Damn Australia being isolated and such.

Last edited:
I have dealt with Sunyshore and Eevee Mart (and their respective owners) before and I cannot recommend them enough for people who want legit merchandise at decent prices. Shipping is very quick as well.

Guess what arrived on the 28th August?

Squeeee!
The colours might be slightly faded, but its sooo cute! I just want to hug it all day!

...But there is gaming to be done!

Anyway, it came with the official tag, so it's definitely not a fake. The fabric is nice and soft, just slightly different to my Snivy's. it's kinda like those pillows you can run your hand over and they get lighter or darker.
Ahmegahd those eyes they remind me of myself too much *breaks stare*

Thank you Aragi, I couldn't order the exact one you posted, but I definitely took a second look.

I've never come across a bootleg, thank goodness. I would be so annoyed if I got fooled, even though it is unlikely that I would.

I had a couple of bootlegged Pokémon items when I was young. When you're a kid you don't really care if the item is bootlegged or not, though! Well, I never liked obviously fake Pikachus with wrong ear or tail shapes etc. but I didn't think about the legitness of my toy as long as it looked like the real thing. I loved my plush Pikachu that would sing Aqua's "Dr Jones" when you pressed his tummy, haha! I also had a Pikachu ring that was cute, but it smelled really bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom