• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to use Ash new team member

90'sPokéfan

Reaction score
I was thinking. Some people are afraid Ash new Dragonite is a too strong pokémon for Ash to have caught in the 10th episode of the new series. But although it is true Dragonite is a pokémon with huge potential, it isn't sure if it is a strong pokémon yet.

What do we know on this moment? Ash's Dragonite struggled with the move Dragon Dance as a Dragonair and Ash helped it to master the move. Because it couldn't use Dragon Dance it also couldn't fly.

I think it would be a good idea if Dragonite was struggling with it's attacks. This way it isn't a strong pokémon from the start but it can grow.

Ash can start with simple moves like tackle and bite (I'm going with anime logic here, not game rules), but then it's time to learn stronger attacks, he could call in help from his older pokémon. It would be a nice way to reintroduce some of them. For example, charizard could help to train the move Dragon Tail and do on. Maybe Ash could just visit Prof. Oaks ranch for an episode.

I don't think the writers would go this way, but it would be an interesting way to progress the story of Dragonite.

Maybe after episode 12, with all the Dragonite trainers who will appear, Ash his Dragonite will want to become stronger.

How would you guys handle the story?

Have Ash fail in comparison to the other trainers, and have an angle like Charizard valley. Keep Dragonite until like ep 17 or 18, and drop him off with the other trainers to get better.

I thought about this, but I don't think this would be the most interesting route. I always found it a shame we didn't follow the path of pokémon like Charizard, Gliscor,... in their training.

Or pokémon like Primeape or Cacnea (James)... We even never saw the results of their training. At least someone mentionned the results of Cacnea.

I like it when we follow the struggles, it makes the pay-off in the end a lot more satisfying.

I don't think Ash should be leaving the training of his Pokémon to other people at this point. If Dragonite needs serious training Ash should do it and it should be onscreen.

Aside from Dragonite needing help mastering powerful techniques they could also give it some sort of personality issue to overcome--not being disobedient like Charizard, but something more like Gligar's flying issue--maybe Dragonite being so affectionate makes it harder to really battle at it's best, for instance.

Whoa there, since when is Dragonite too powerful for Ash to manage? We're in 2020 not 1999; pseudo-legends like Dragonite aren't a big deal anymore, much less for Ash who's experienced. I personally don't see Dragonite as anything impressive. Like, it's definitely not what I expected Ash's first capture of the new series to be, but it's not something precious that I think needs special attention either.

Aside from Dragonite needing help mastering powerful techniques they could also give it some sort of personality issue to overcome--not being disobedient like Charizard, but something more like Gligar's flying issue--maybe Dragonite being so affectionate makes it harder to really battle at it's best, for instance.
This, all of this. The thing is so cuddly it might have trouble getting used to beating other beings into submission.

That, and/or having it be unused to its new form and strength and have to learn to avoid accidents.

Whoa there, since when is Dragonite too powerful for Ash to manage? We're in 2020 not 1999; pseudo-legends like Dragonite aren't a big deal anymore, much less for Ash who's experienced. I personally don't see Dragonite as anything impressive. Like, it's definitely not what I expected Ash's first capture of the new series to be, but it's not something precious that I think needs special attention either.

I've read people compaining about this. And in some way, I can see from werd they are coming. I know that we aren't 1999 anymore.

And to be honest, I think it would be boring if Dragonite just becomes a good battler without any more trouble. We've seen Ash train his pokémon above their limites multiple times between the start of the series and now. Above are some good other suggestions about it. We'll wee the next could of episodes what way he will go.

At least it already showed more personality in this one episode then most of Go's pokémon (exept Scorbunny and maybe Dewgong). But since it is Go's goal to catch all the pokémon I guess it's normal we won't see a lot of personality from some of them.

Last edited:
That, and/or having it be unused to its new form and strength and have to learn to avoid accidents.
I think there's already a hint of that--it's hugs seem a little uncomfortable after evolving--though it could just be a quick joke about how big and powerful it is, and it's not like Dragonite was squashing them flat or anything.

trade it in not far future for the Scorchbunny or maybe for a Duradullon?

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom