• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How to work the TCG into an anime verse story...

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
without it devolving into a Yu-Gi-Oh clone, if that is even possible?

So I have a plot bunny involving what the Pokemon TCG would be like in the show. Granted, my first fic tried to answer this question, but sounded too much like it had walked out of Yu-Gi-Oh. Is there any way to write a fic in which the TCG is a major component and not make it over the top?

Maybe,
All the pokemon were turned into cards by something evil and now someone must battle using them to free them?
at least it didn't have anything to do with the heart of the cards

Maybe the TCG is used in schools in order to teach children about Types and Pokémon and Items before they become actual Pokémon Trainers, and when they feel the child has a great understanding of the TCG, they give them a real Pokémon and make them have actual battles, and then they would say that the TCG helped the children become more strategic when asked what the point of teaching them through the TCG was.

• Staff
Maybe,
All the pokemon were turned into cards by something evil and now someone must battle using them to free them?
at least it didn't have anything to do with the heart of the cards

I like this idea! Kyuujux has a great idea too, but if this bunny ever comes to fruition, I'll probably go with this one

Pokémon battles on motorcycles would solve all your plot bunny problems.

/trolololololo

Maybe it's a good idea to look into the TCG game from the GBC so long ago. It happened before Yu-Gi-Oh became a huge name, and seems to carry its own direction (although it seemed like a semi-clone of the typical pokemon league story). I remember reading Pojo magazines and the website back then too... it's just too bad I can't recreate that feeling.

If you want to make people forget any ties a pokemon TCG story can have with yu-gi-oh, throw in Imakuni?, and you're good. ;)

What about a Bakugan-Like story, in which if the pokemon's TCG is used on it, it will get the bonus written in TCG card. And ability cards like Koga's Ninja Trick, you get it right?

It's already IN the anime. James has some cards at a few points (usually replaced in the dubs because of weird FCC regulations).

So basically it's already established to exist. And as for how you do it without making it a YGO clone...that's pretty simple. Just keep it as a GAME and not that weird ancient pharoahnic mishmash mystic stuff.

It's already IN the anime. James has some cards at a few points (usually replaced in the dubs because of weird FCC regulations).

So basically it's already established to exist. And as for how you do it without making it a YGO clone...that's pretty simple. Just keep it as a GAME and not that weird ancient pharoahnic mishmash mystic stuff.

Are you talking about his Pokédex-like cards?

Like we put the TCG card on the head of out pokemon and He gets (More Power (Card: Ex type gets more power), Some Bonus, etc). Limited no. of how many of those cards we can use in battle. In original bakugan the bonus cards are 3 per battle and Power cards are 3. Total 6.

Yeah. They used to be actual TCG cards.

I wasn't aware of that! But yeah, that is also a good use.

Maybe the information they get off of the cards help them in teaching their Pokémon new moves after evolution, since they are different throughout stages most of the time.

My story's universe isn't the anime-verse, but I planned to play it realistically, and it could be carried over to the anime easily.

The game's just another game. Kids play it, there are tournaments with prizes, but no life-or-death situations, and it doesn't decide everything like actual battles do.

I can imagine Ash playing it with his old friends in school back before he became an actual trainer.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom