• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How well does Pokemon do in the ratings in Japan?

Cybersai

Reaction score
Just curious, but I remember hearing that the ratings in Japan have actually dropped since Advance Generation started. Is there any proof to this?

I don't think that it's that bad of a drop. I don't know much about ratings, but it seems to be a stable number, and it's more than most anime in Japan recieves.

I wonder if the rating system had changed in between - initially, Pocket Monsters had ratings of 13 - 18...

Anyway, the box office ratings for movie 8 might be interesting:
# July 16 - 17: 2nd overall, 1st domestic
# July 23 - 24: 2nd overall, 1st domestic
# July 30 - 31: 2nd overall, 1st domestic
# August 6 - 7: 3rd overall, 2nd domestic
# August 13 - 14: 3rd overall, 2nd domestic
# August 20 - 21: 4th overall, 2nd domestic
# August 27 - 28: 7th overall, 4th domestic

It completely stops screening tomorrow, when PokéPark, and EXPO 2005 close... almost, one maverick cinema will stop screening on the 30th.

Why are they dropping anyway? I have my reasons for thinking older series were better but I'm suprised and somewhat saddened to see it drop by as much as that.

Probably the same reason the ratings dropped in America? The fad slowed down.

AG is a very good series, shame it doesn't get as good as ratings as the 1st season.

Movie 8 beat Naruto in terms of longevity (1st opening weekend, 6th next), and Full Metal Alchemist as well.

Doubtful if PokéPark will return. It piggybacked on EXPO 2005 - tourists were coming to Aichi for that, so PokéPark would probably have been only a side trip for many of the visitors.

What?

But, they only just built PokePark this year (or was it last year?) and now their closing it?

That's weird......

Aww......

That's really sad. :-(

I mean, when I heard they actually built a Pokemon amusement park, I thought it was always gonna be there.

But, now I just can't believe they'd close it down like that, like it was nothing.

Well, they're going to take down most of the EXPO 2005 site - and that's a whole lot larger than PokéPark. We're talking something that takes nearly an our to walk around - 1.85km² - 400 acres (more or less the size of the Tokyo Disney Resort complex, much larger than Disneyland Park) - and that's just the perimeter of the main site! (There's an auxilliary site, much smaller - 0.15km² - 45 acres - but I didn't go.)

I think, it wouldn't have been sustainable over the long term... though it did have its 4 millionth visitor just yesterday. If they had wanted to set up a long term amusement park, they would have built it somewhere more heavily visited - perhaps Tōkyō or the surrounding metropolitan area. Nagoya is rather neither-here-nor-there, my impression was that it is a relatively quiet industrial city. Though it is just an hour, or perhaps an hour and a half from Tōkyō, there's very little other reason to visit Nagoya, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Oh, I didn't know they were gonna take down all of that, Zhen Lin......

But, anyway, still I think it's a shame that they'd spend all of that money to build PokePark, even if it's only temporary, and then they have to take it down.

Oh well, at least they tried.

And I hope that if they build another one it's permanent.

Sharpshooter said:
Why are they dropping anyway? I have my reasons for thinking older series were better but I'm suprised and somewhat saddened to see it drop by as much as that.
This happens to all series. After the initial hype period, the audience for anything starts to drop. Especially for something like Pokemon, which doesn't exactly gush with originality.

It's not exactly like PokéPark was built or anything. All the rides there were very obviously mobile, from what I saw before I left, and able to be disassembled or driven off at a moments notice. The few buildings were pre-fab temp structures too.

Oh, I didn't know about that either, Archaic....

Anyway, I guess it makes sense now though.

*still hopes they'll make a permanent PokePark in the future*

Zhen Lin said:
Nagoya is rather neither-here-nor-there, my impression was that it is a relatively quiet industrial city. Though it is just an hour, or perhaps an hour and a half from Tōkyō, there's very little other reason to visit Nagoya, as far as I can tell.

Isn't like the fourth largest city in Japan? So if nothing else, it's a nice big city to visit in the middle of a journey to Tokyo or something. Really, the best thing Nagoya has going for it is its location; it's more or less right in the center of Japan, and traveling to places like Tokyo, Kyoto, or Osaka isn't all that difficult.

Dogasu said:
Isn't like the fourth largest city in Japan? So if nothing else, it's a nice big city to visit in the middle of a journey to Tokyo or something. Really, the best thing Nagoya has going for it is its location; it's more or less right in the center of Japan, and traveling to places like Tokyo, Kyoto, or Osaka isn't all that difficult.

0. 23 wards of Tōkyō
1. Yokohama, Kanagawa
2. Ōsaka, Ōsaka
3. Nagoya, Aichi
4. Sapporo, Hokkaidō
5. Kyōto, Kyōto

Indeed, it's a convenient location to take a break at when travelling from one side of Honshū to the other. But there's not much for the tourist, aside from a few temples, and, while it lasted, EXPO 2005 (which closes today). Well, there are the Toyota showrooms and museums, but...

Please note: The thread is from 19 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom