• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh How will Abilities transfer over from LGPE to SwSh?

EmpoleonProd

Empoleon Master Trainer
Reaction score
Using Pokemon Home, it is confirmed that Pokemon from LGPE can be transferred to SwSh (at least, the ones in the Galar Dex, but I'm assuming most if not all Kanto Pokemon will be in it since LGPE is a Switch game and they can reuse basically all the assets). My only worry is that Abilities will be sorta screwed up. Will they go the VC route and make them all have the Hidden Abilities? Some of my Pokemon I've shiny hunted and hyper trained and given awesome movesets would be destroyed if we don't get HA's, such as my shiny Jolly Dragonite not having Multiscale, that would suck. On the other hand, some Pokemon I'd prefer NOT to have their HA, such as my Quiet nature Lapras, having Water Absorb is much preferred over Hydration. Even getting Shell Armor would be fine since I'm assuming the Ability Capsule would be present. I think more Pokemon benefit from having their HA than not so I would hope they do what they did with VC games on the 3DS and just give all of them their HA.

Unlike in the VC games, the personality value exists in LGPE. So they could have it determine the ability as would usually be the case, or they could just use hidden abilities again. It's hard to say.

My guess is it'll be like how transferring pokemon from the virtual boy games into bank. Possibly higher chance of it becoming a hidden ability mon, or the abilities are randomized

I don't think abilities will be screwed up. Seeing how they are only blocked (not removed) in the games, I think it will be like transferring from the other games.

So do you think perhaps most Pokemon will get their normal ability but maybe chained Pokemon via catch combos have a high chance at a HA? This would be similar to other past features such as the DexNav.

Unlike in the VC games, the personality value exists in LGPE. So they could have it determine the ability as would usually be the case, or they could just use hidden abilities again. It's hard to say.

I'm not really familiar with what all the personality value entails. Can you explain what exactly it is and what it does?

Last edited:
So do you think perhaps most Pokemon will get their normal ability but maybe chained Pokemon via catch combos have a high chance at a HA? This would be similar to other past features such as the DexNav.

I'm not really familiar with what all the personality value entails. Can you explain what exactly it is and what it does?
Don't know about chained Pokémon (since I don't know if the sav file I have has Pokémon caught like that), but yeah, Pokémon with normal abilities look like they can be transferred normally.

Yeah... abilities definitely aren't going to be an issue since they already have them assigned, they're just hidden and essentially disabled in LGPE. That's how we know what Meltan and Melmetal's abilities are.

I understand that, that's pretty common knowledge. If it wasn't clear my worry is we don't know which of our Pokemon will get what Ability, make sense?

I understand that, that's pretty common knowledge. If it wasn't clear my worry is we don't know which of our Pokemon will get what Ability, make sense?
Well, it's probably going to tell you what it has as soon as you transfer it to HOME, so... I don't know, I don't really see the concern. Abilities can't really be messed up if they were just invisible to you in the first place.

Well, it's probably going to tell you what it has as soon as you transfer it to HOME, so... I don't know, I don't really see the concern. Abilities can't really be messed up if they were just invisible to you in the first place.

Okay you're taking the "messed up" thing far too literally.

I know there's Abilities coded into the game.

I know that the Pokemon will end up with SOME Ability.

My concern is that we have know way of knowing what Ability we'll end up with. I made duplicates of my entire 12 Pokemon roster in Let's Go Pikachu, including duplicate Shiny Dragonite, Charizard, Tangela, Butterfree, and Eevee. I plan on transferring one copy to Sword and keeping the other copy on Pikachu, but if I could know for example, if one of my Dragonite has Multiscale and one doesn't, I'd want to transfer the one that does. Or if they just go with the strategy they used with VC and give every Pokemon it's HA if it has one, that would be fine too.

The way you've worded every reply so far, it's like you're implying I think there's going to be some glitch in the game. Clearly not since I mentioned VC not having Abilities and giving every Pokemon it's HA. So I don't really know what you're on about. Let's say they are assigned, we don't even know if it was coded in to allow catch combos to give you HA Pokemon. So we don't know how Pokemon will be able to, if at all, get HA's, or normal Abilities, or whatever.

Last edited:
Okay you're taking the "messed up" thing far too literally.

I know there's Abilities coded into the game.

I know that the Pokemon will end up with SOME Ability.

My concern is that we have know way of knowing what Ability we'll end up with. I made duplicates of my entire 12 Pokemon roster in Let's Go Pikachu, including duplicate Shiny Dragonite, Charizard, Tangela, Butterfree, and Eevee. I plan on transferring one copy to Sword and keeping the other copy on Pikachu, but if I could know for example, if one of my Dragonite has Multiscale and one doesn't, I'd want to transfer the one that does. Or if they just go with the strategy they used with VC and give every Pokemon it's HA if it has one, that would be fine too.

The way you've worded every reply so far, it's like you're implying I think there's going to be some glitch in the game. Clearly not since I mentioned VC not having Abilities and giving every Pokemon it's HA. So I don't really know what you're on about.
I just couldn't understand what you would consider "screwed up" about it when your pokemon are just gaining an ability when you transfer them out? Still not sure how it could be considered screwed up, but I do see your concern now.

I just couldn't understand what you would consider "screwed up" about it when your pokemon are just gaining an ability when you transfer them out? Still not sure how it could be considered screwed up, but I do see your concern now.

I like to constantly transfer up my Pokemon to the newest game with their competitive natures, IVs, and Abilities and continue to use them in battles online and with friends, if a Dragonite were to have Multiscale, that'd be a very good Dragonite. If not, it won't be a very good Dragonite. That's sort of what I was aiming at by "screwed up". That Dragonite, competitively speaking, would be considered "bad" or "screwed up".

I like to constantly transfer up my Pokemon to the newest game with their competitive natures, IVs, and Abilities and continue to use them in battles online and with friends, if a Dragonite were to have Multiscale, that'd be a very good Dragonite. If not, it won't be a very good Dragonite. That's sort of what I was aiming at by "screwed up". That Dragonite, competitively speaking, would be considered "bad" or "screwed up".
Judging by the save I used with PkHex, they only have their normal abilities, not hidden abilities. So, yeah, Dragonite wouldn't be getting Multiscale.

Judging by the save I used with PkHex, they only have their normal abilities, not hidden abilities. So, yeah, Dragonite wouldn't be getting Multiscale.

Interesting, do you have any catch combo shinies? Or just any Pokemon with 3+ IVs off a chain of 31+ in a row? Chaining with catch combos could give HA's, and if there was ever a way to get them, this would be the way that makes the most sense.

Interesting, do you have any catch combo shinies? Or just any Pokemon with 3+ IVs off a chain of 31+ in a row? Chaining with catch combos could give HA's, and if there was ever a way to get them, this would be the way that makes the most sense.
Don't know. I grabbed save files from a site and used PkHex to check things out. I don't have the games.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom